BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves At Home On 8/8/2015

Just from the highlights the defending for both goals was terrible. For the 1st yin we were queuing up to make errors, a complete shambles, and for the 2nd yin, where was the man picking up the runner? Very poor and just like last year. Killgallon has to be our main cb for me. Funny that GB doesn't mention how scabby our goal was in his lament about how unlucky we were.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only reason I can think is a fitness issue - as the defence always looks better when he plays.

You think Kilgallon wasn't fit and was replaced by Duffy?

Odd one though because the LT lead sport story was a Kilgallon interview about how he was ready and even wanted revenge over Wolves.

http://m.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/13582736.Blackburn_Rovers_defender_Matt_Kilgallon_targets_flying_start_against_Wolves/

"But with captain Grant Hanley and Shane Duffy back to full fitness, the 31-year-old admits he is not certain of starting against Wolves this afternoon.

Kilgallon said: Lets see what the gaffer does on Saturday but Id love to start.

Ive always felt good when Ive stepped in. I try not to let anyone down and I dont think I have done that when I have played.

I didnt get in last season until the second part because I got injured at the start and the gaffer went with Shane and Grant, which was a decision I had to deal with.

Well see what he does at the start of this season but, whatever happens, Ill do my best for Blackburn, thats for sure.

Seems like a straightforward decision by Bowyer to me.

It's plausible that, coming from a development football background, Bowyer is trying to keep everyone happy and will keep trying to give everyone game time. In professional league football it's all about the three points, and decisions taken are usually in the short term about getting a run of results before you get sacked. Bowyer seems to be able to play a long game though and may be trying to give everyone in the squad minutes on the pitch, to make us stronger as a whole but this will take a long time and will be at the expense of results as things get chopped and changed regularly.

For me though, it's much simpler. Hanley is one of Bowyer's men and he will always be first choice. With Kilgallon more experience and a more able captain than Hanley I think that Duffy will be picked if fit so as not to upset him. It would be interesting to see how many times Hanley and Kilgallon have played together. It doesn't feel like many as Kilgallon seems to be the one to make way.

Using common sense as opposed to just chiming the same "it's his mate" sentiment - you've got 3 good centre backs, they are all pushing for a place. You have to pick two.

To basically sum up my perception of their weaknesses; Killas is pace, Grants is losing his big ead at times and Duffys is wanting two many touches.

Therefore playing against Dicko and Afobe may have played into the mindset for leaving Killa out. I know a few of you will not like logic or football reasons and prefer scandalmongery! I expect to see Killa in for the cup game.

When you have a player who is an accident waiting to happen, you need a "steady Eddie" to keep an eye on him, eg Samba being minded by Nelsen. When you play two together, you have double the disaster element, eg Duffy and Hanley.

Did someone not produce quite inclusive stats last year that our worst partnership was Hanley and Duffy. For whatever reason, we always look shaky at the back when these two play together. It's not like people are being wise after the event. This has been commented on for months.

GB is actually getting off very lightly on his failed gamble on Raya. He's badly at fault for the second regardless of the handball and gets caught in no-mans-land for the first.

Using common sense as opposed to just chiming the same "it's his mate" sentiment - you've got 3 good centre backs, they are all pushing for a place. You have to pick two.

To basically sum up my perception of their weaknesses; Killas is pace, Grants is losing his big ead at times and Duffys is wanting two many touches.

Therefore playing against Dicko and Afobe may have played into the mindset for leaving Killa out. I know a few of you will not like logic or football reasons and prefer scandalmongery! I expect to see Killa in for the cup game.

Killas weakness is also his distribution, possibly the worst passer of the ball I've ever seen.

Hanley and Duffy were ok yesterday, its the full backs and MF we need to address.

I didn't feel a disaster happening yesterday to be honest Giant- I haven't seen the replays yet but I'm sure we nullified Wolves - the goal was through ball caused by Guthrie stretching for the ball and deflecting it.

I didn't feel a disaster happening yesterday to be honest Giant- I haven't seen the replays yet but I'm sure we nullified Wolves - the goal was through ball caused by Guthrie stretching for the ball and deflecting it.

Correct about the deflected.

But Wolves werent outstanding.

We deserved a point.

I didn't go but a home loss is not good no matter how you sprinkle glitter on

Agree it wasn't good - just putting it in context. It is one thing picking up the odd freebie every now and then out of choice and fitting them into an established team over time, but we are having to sell players like Gestede and then replacing him with freebies.

Just think, on the whole, we need to support rather than judge while that is going on. After all - Gestede was written off by many in his first few games for us.

Having watched the highlights, how on earth does the referee allow that Wolves second goal?

I obviously can't comment on the entirety of the game, but a goal right on half-time is a sucker punch. Championship refs truly are the pits.

Just think, on the whole, we need to support rather than judge while that is going on. After all - Gestede was written off by many in his first few games for us.

Giving an opinion on a message board hardly constitutes not supporting. To be fair, over 12,000 home fans turned up yesterday to support.

Let's not let Bowyer off the hook either with the freebies argument. He had two full season shaping his team, bringing in 30+ players and hardly having to sell anyone. He failed.

Giving an opinion on a message board hardly constitutes not supporting. To be fair, over 12,000 home fans turned up yesterday to support.

Let's not let Bowyer off the hook either with the freebies argument. He had two full season shaping his team, bringing in 30+ players and hardly having to sell anyone. He failed.

The support yesterday was great. Wasn't knocking it at all. Good numbers and noise. Lovely day at Ewood!

When you say bowyer has been able to shape his team I would just mention that he hasn't exactly had a free reign. He inheritted some awful players on obscene contracts - some of whom have only just left and we will be paying off for a while yet.

I doubt Bowyer would have chosen the likes of Marrow if he had a blank cheque and hadn't had to pay Murphy and Etuhu to do nothing.

I think over all Bowyer's transfer dealings have been good all things considered.

The support yesterday was great. Wasn't knocking it at all. Good numbers and noise. Lovely day at Ewood!

When you say bowyer has been able to shape his team I would just mention that he hasn't exactly had a free reign. He inheritted some awful players on obscene contracts - some of whom have only just left and we will be paying off for a while yet.

I doubt Bowyer would have chosen the likes of Marrow if he had a blank cheque and hadn't had to pay Murphy and Etuhu to do nothing.

I think over all Bowyer's transfer dealings have been good all things considered.

His transfer dealings have been good. It's what he does on a match day that is not up scratch.

What I do find quite funny is Bowyer gets the plaudits for clearing out such bad eggs and that this makes him some sort of messiah. What would ANY other manager have done in the same position (except Kean)? I honestly think we could have put near enough anyone in charge and they'd have sussed out who needed to go. It was obvious to everyone remotely connected to the club. Bowyer is the only one who got the chance to clear out these players. Whilst I think Bowyer has done ok in the transfer market, I don't think he should get super special praise for paying off Best, Orr and the like.

Whilst I think Bowyer has done ok in the transfer market, I don't think he should get super special praise for paying off Best, Orr and the like.

I think the point was that people often trot out "free reign" to sign anyone he wants when the reality is much different.

Looking at the money the club have spent since we've been back to using scouts rather than agents - imagine if we could've used the pay off money to sign players!

Wher do you sit? This noise must be confined to certain sections because it certainly doesn't travel. The only noise yesterday was after the Wolves goals.

I think the point was that people often trot out "free reign" to sign anyone he wants when the reality is much different.

Looking at the money the club have spent since we've been back to using scouts rather than agents - imagine if we could've used the pay off money to sign players!

He did have a sort of free reign for a little while. The fact he was able to spend £850k on Evans says a lot. I know he hasn't had the backing of some of the 'top' teams in our league but he's done worse with better resources than the likes of Dyche, McCarthy, etc have managed.

But it's a smokescreen.

Last season we had two 20+ goal strikers with ample creative support in Marshall, Conway, Cairney and the underused King. The squad at our disposal should have been able to challenge for the top 6. It didn't because Bowyer is tactically not good enough and makes poor team selections.

That damning fact is now being clouded by talk of transfers, money, FFP etc, exactly as I said it would be last year. Excuses.

• Backroom

Wher do you sit? This noise must be confined to certain sections because it certainly doesn't travel. The only noise yesterday was after the Wolves goals.

It actually sounded loud where I was but I think behind higher up means the sounds gets trapped a bit.

Archived