BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves At Home On 8/8/2015

Ben Marshall turned up at Ewood yet?

I'll do more of a summary when the anger dissipates a little.

On the Evans sub- I think we are ignoring that Guthrie looked leggy which is to be expected. In terms of Guthrie though, I was impressed bar a few bad passes. He gets his head up, wants the ball and has the defensive side in the bag too. He caused the opening goal against the run of play but you can't blame him for that bounce really - I'm sure we've got a good player there.

Delfy - I thought he was a mixed bag, Koita does look effective though, great save onto the post by there keeper at the end.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

As an aside we moved to the family stand for a nicer environment; some bloke came and stood next to us swearing his head off, a few told him to be quiet and he got worse, I told him to button it and he apologised to me then started offering people outside. As he was being dragged away by his mate he offered one too many folk out and a bigger bloke lamped him and all hell broke loose, not a steward in sight for 5 minutes.

Complain to the club mate, out of order that. We had a bloke in a cap moved last season who kept screaming the c-word just in front of an 8yo.

Here's one for the statisticians.

When has a Championship/2nd.Division team won promotion to the top tier after losing the first game of the season at home, on the same day that England regained the Ashes and when in the third and fourth tests, four different seam bowlers took six or more wickets in four consecutive innings ?

You lost me at 'here's'

Everyone could see Marshall was clearly uncomfortable in the '10' role within 5 minutes, yet tactical genius Gaz took half an hour to change it. Then (despite us looking better) changed it back at half time!?!

Must admit that I was after moving Marshall onto the wing after about 20 minutes. Where I will agree with GB - Marshall has all the attributes to be brilliant in the number 10 role - but he seems to lack one important aspect which is awareness. Too often Rhodes was left isolated and again picking off scraps.

blueboy agree with the bit in bold. We've disagreed a fair bit about Bowyer in the past and my question to you would be how worried are you by the same mistakes being made time after time? To me, more than anything, this is a worrying sign of Bowyer's abilities or lack of them.

He needs to play Kilgallon because both Hanley and Duffy need someone next to them telling them what to do. Bowyer certainly has his blind spots.

Ben Marshall turned up at Ewood yet?

I'll do more of a summary when the anger dissipates a little.

On the Evans sub- I think we are ignoring that Guthrie looked leggy which is to be expected. In terms of Guthrie though, I was impressed bar a few bad passes. He gets his head up, wants the ball and has the defensive side in the bag too. He caused the opening goal against the run of play but you can't blame him for that bounce really - I'm sure we've got a good player there.

Delfy - I thought he was a mixed bag, Koita does look effective though, great save onto the post by there keeper at the end.

Don't know whether he was showing signs of disinterest or just uncomfortable in that role but he was well out of sorts today. Fact is that system worked ok whilst we had the ball and had a go in the first 30 mins. After that they got to grips with it and we were just disjointed. Shouuld have been changed it was clearly not working, 2nd half we were @#/? poor until they typically woke up in the last 5 for their right good go.

Today told us nothing we didn't already know I'm afraid and as well as the usual weaknesses it screamed tactical misgivings yet again.

I have to say for the first 20 minutes or so I was happy. We'd adopted a high energy pressing game and were forcing Wolves players into mistakes up the pitch. OK, we did little with the possession we had but it showed a different intent and maybe a new playing style.

However, for some reason, and I think it's lack of fitness, we dropped deeper from that stage and conceded a pretty soft goal.

Following on from that it was all huff and puff with little method and no cohesion, a throwback to many a home game under Bowyer.

Let's face it, we've got problems. Big problems. A reasonable Wolves side saw us off comfortably and, for a team 1 down for the 2nd half, we hardly laid a glove on them. Until injury time there was a lack of urgency on and off the pitch and a chronic lack of quality throughout.

I can't really speak of a positive because I'm struggling to see one and it's going to be a hard season until we get 50 points on the board.

Final word on Jason Lowe. Yes, I'm one of his biggest critics, but seriously, what fundamental part of the game can he actually do? We can't afford to carry passengers, and certainly not in the middle of the park. Once again he has flitted around the periphery of a game while his opposite number has ran past him like he's not there. While Bowyer has him as undroppable we'll never achieve anything.

Local wolves rag's take on the game - how does this compare for the people who were at Ewood park?

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2015/08/08/blackburn-x-wolves-x-report-and-pictures/?

that's pretty similar to the LT match report posted earlier...sounds like we should have been ahead before they scored with their first shot after 30mins. Both reports suggest we were worthy of a draw. Not all doom and gloom as Wolves are one of the favourites for promotion.

Marshall was abysmal in the middle. Plenty of ability but his mental game was pish. Didn't know where to position himself, didn't read the runs of Rhodes and seemed unaware of the game around him. Hopefully just a bad day at the office for him.

Koita was lively when he came on.... the shot from miles out early on was daft but he grew in to the game. He's strong, can lay the ball of brilliantly and the shot towards the end was great. Much rather see him play the number 10 role with Marshall/Conway on the wings. Delfouneso showed today that he's not a winger, he'll only be effective played on the last man.

Henley needs the gym and a few meaty meals. A few times he could've/would've beaten his man for pace today but didn't or didn't attempt to because he's significantly weaker than most players in the league.

As many said, starting Raya was an accident waiting to happen. Steele should be our number 1, Raya would've benefitted from a loan move possibly to league 1 but it's probably a bit late saying that now.

We started very well, looked quite a solid unit and moved the ball around well until they scored, much better than last season, but lost confidence quickly. It was always going to be a difficult game, Wolves are very well organised and will be up there in May but we really should've taken something from today. There's room to build and improve but I'm not sure we have the character and leadership to do it.

Today told us nothing we didn't already know I'm afraid and as well as the usual weaknesses it screamed tactical misgivings yet again.

I agree on that it told us what we knew about lacking options but I would find it difficult to dismiss the tactics for 90 minutes. What I found hard to take was the way the players heads went down after the first goal for wolves. It was certainly against the run of play and at times I felt we moved the ball well in the 451. Our retort to Afobe scoring was to start pumping it at delf/rhodes and that prompted me to go for a pint! Funnily enough we score, then what can only be described as a blatant handball changed the game.

I thought the subs put us on the front food again, so I'd find it difficult to criticise tactics today.

Marshall has it all as we know, but it's not awareness he needs it's confidence.

Trudging about, making Rhodes do 99% of pressing, not tracking back etc! With a number 10 on your shirt, you should be working as hard as anyone on the pitch to create space for others, play the ball to the flanks, get at the team etc!

Marshall was one of the players I've criticised in the past for inconsistency, let's hope he can improve on today if that is his birth for this season. The alternative is either O'sullivan, who's untried at this level or playing 442 which leaves us open.

In terms of defending today I thought we looked quite assured against a lot of pace. Hanley broke up lots of attacks with his decision making and Duffy looked good in the air and had a few good touches.

To honest Wolves were no great shakes at all. Yes they posses that presence up front but apart from that they were very ordinary. I actually thought Hanley & Duffy played ok individually apart from the hoof but collectively they aren't comfortable. Delf looked quite good with the ball at his feet but stood out on the wing it was hoofed towards him and he spent other times drifting into the middle but not getting the ball.

Can't help but think a simple little swap around with him and Marshall might have made a difference. Rhodes played quite well, should have notched that one in the 2nd half though by his standards. Kiote looked physical and quite lively and should have been on a lot earlier. Ref and linesmen were knobs but our lack of guile and nous have contributed to us losing again rather than great opponents. Have to say it was a clever piece of play and finish for their first though.

Henley needs the gym and a few meaty meals. A few times he could've/would've beaten his man for pace today but didn't or didn't attempt to because he's significantly weaker than most players in the league.

The real Adam Henley just described there. He used to infuriate me when he was a regular 2 seasons ago, never went past the half way line, used to pass it sideways and backwards constantly. Last season he seemed a little more adventurous because he had to win his place back but now he's a regular again... Same old. Lad has been spoonfed a pro footballer living at Rovers, get him loaned out in league 1 and see how he does... Bet he'd get eaten alive.

Marshall was abysmal in the middle. Plenty of ability but his mental game was pish. Didn't know where to position himself, didn't read the runs of Rhodes and seemed unaware of the game around him. Hopefully just a bad day at the office for him.

I'm not sure if this was just Marshall. I got the impression that most of the non-defensive players weren't sure how to play. I guess it will take time to gel particularly with the number of players in and out. But we need to stop carrying one or two players and make sure that our best XI are selected. Once we have the right team they need time. The trouble is that I don't think Bowyer knows who his best players are!

We did ok first 25 minutes and should of been at least 1-0 up ,

But then cut open like a knife through butter and was chasing game from then on.

Why we started delfouneso wide and Marshall in support of Rhodes I dont know, Bowyer swapped them around after 30 mins, which made is look a little better in terms of balance.

Positives -

Guthrie controlled a lot of the midfield and was man of the match for me

Koita did more in 15 minutes than Delfouneso did the whole game. The signing of Delfouneso strikes me as desperate and I cant see him offering too much this season . Seen quite a bit of him over the years and hes still poop.

Rhodes worked his socks off and on another day would of scored at least one

Conway gets better and better each time I see him and id make him captain, plays with his heart on his shoulder.

Negatives

Raya looked poor on his kicking and put defence under pressure aplenty. I Have not seen the replay of the goals, but my first thought was he was caught napping on both, regardless of hand ball

Henley and Ollson were as poor as ive seen them and wasteful with the ball

Marshall played like a player who was already in Brighton

Lowe should of been taken off , he offered nothing and looks unfit

I agree on that it told us what we knew about lacking options but I would find it difficult to dismiss the tactics for 90 minutes. What I found hard to take was the way the players heads went down after the first goal for wolves. It was certainly against the run of play and at times I felt we moved the ball well in the 451. Our retort to Afobe scoring was to start pumping it at delf/rhodes and that prompted me to go for a pint! Funnily enough we score, then what can only be described as a blatant handball changed the game.

I thought the subs put us on the front food again, so I'd find it difficult to criticise tactics today.

Marshall has it all as we know, but it's not awareness he needs it's confidence.

Trudging about, making Rhodes do 99% of pressing, not tracking back etc! With a number 10 on your shirt, you should be working as hard as anyone on the pitch to create space for others, play the ball to the flanks, get at the team etc!

Marshall was one of the players I've criticised in the past for inconsistency, let's hope he can improve on today if that is his birth for this season. The alternative is either O'sullivan, who's untried at this level or playing 442 which leaves us open.

In terms of defending today I thought we looked quite assured against a lot of pace. Hanley broke up lots of attacks with his decision making and Duffy looked good in the air and had a few good touches.

Agree on the heads down and it was worrying to me that we came out 2nd half like a beaten team. We looked knackered but to be fair the game was a fair old pace in the first 30 odd mins and quite enjoyable. If he'd have actually made his 65 min changes it might have perked things up earlier, typical when your expecting them they don't come. Can't criticize the actual subs though really for once.

The real Adam Henley just described there. He used to infuriate me when he was a regular 2 seasons ago, never went past the half way line, used to pass it sideways and backwards constantly. Last season he seemed a little more adventurous because he had to win his place back but now he's a regular again... Same old. Lad has been spoonfed a pro footballer living at Rovers, get him loaned out in league 1 and see how he does... Bet he'd get eaten alive.

The fact he's our best right back tells you everything about the quality of our squad. He has potential but noone pushing him for his place. Hopefully Nyambe(sp?) Can push him this season, but I think it might be a season too soon for that.

• Backroom

Complain to the club mate, out of order that. We had a bloke in a cap moved last season who kept screaming the c-word just in front of an 8yo.

A few people were giving statements when the stewards did turn up, including my wife.

It was actually one of those bizarrely pleasing moments when a bunch of people come together, hopefully he won't be back he was stood on the stairs In between seats and has no intention of moving.

It really was disgraceful behaviour from a grown man

Lowe looks like he's been on the weights which seemed to hamper his usual steaming around routine. Lads a poor footballer though no surprise he started. Guthrie looked decent but went tired. If we actually play like that we'll draw plenty of games again but so called good sides always have the key to our door it seems.

Mark Hughes threw Pedersen in the gym for a while before he played properly, sort of did the same with Samba. Would have done the same with Henley & he wouldn't be in the team until he proved he was hard enough. Bowyer doesn't seem harsh enough with the players, I just wish he'd tell the what they need to do in order to play, we'd get so much more out of them (I must be a joker).

I'm not sure if this was just Marshall. I got the impression that most of the non-defensive players weren't sure how to play. I guess it will take time to gel particularly with the number of players in and out. But we need to stop carrying one or two players and make sure that our best XI are selected. Once we have the right team they need time. The trouble is that I don't think Bowyer knows who his best players are!

True. Conway looked comfortable but Marshall&Delf looked very experimental. Was O'Sullivan injured? Thought him down the middle with Marshall back on the right would've offered so much more.

Still, early days. This system looked good at the start of the game. The defence was helped out more, and we were more dynamic going forward. It needs a few tweaks, and then on, our players need to step up and make a position their own.

We were slow, ponderous and predictable in almost everything we did. Slow in thought, in movement and in execution.

In the first 20 minutes we dominated and they hardly had an attack worthy of the name. We created 3 chances, one of which hit the post from Rhodes.

After that we let them back in the game and conceded via static defending.

A bit of a flurry at the end. Don't know how Rhodes missed that one. However he was head and shoulders above everyone else in our team in terms of reading the game. Can't see him lasting beyond January with this lot.

It's going to be a long, hard season. Woeful.

Who came up with the plan for

Reya to attempt to pick out the new French guy with EVERY kick ( he looks a real donkey by the way)? He was practising it kick after kick right up to kick-off.

Didn't take them long to work that strategem out but still Reya persisted.

Archived