BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Birmingham Away

This is what annoys me. After every game Bowyer is like "we had this chance and this chance. Could have been 3-0 up at HT... bla bla bla" as if every chance deserves to go in, whilst totally discarding the fact that the opposition had just as many half-chances, if not more. I don't know if it's just spiel delivered to Pune, or to the small section of our fan base that hang on every word he says but it's surprising that people are willing to believe his selective analysis.

It's not his selective analysis. We are generating far more chances than the opposition regularly. Though not last night to be fair. Sounds like there were only a couple of decent chances per side.

I'm not excusing Bowyer. He is as responsible for finishing as much as anything else. But we are limiting opposition chances and generating our own.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are still many games to be played and in this league everything can happen. Its all about momentum.

If today despite the bad start of the season we are only 9 points away from the play-offs, I think we have a reason to be optimistic.

That's just the last spot- we are 14 off the other play off contenders!!

No. I think you were probably in good company.........................................Venkys.

Hahaha yeh possibly. I've just been busy these days, and haven't taken much note of things related to Rovers recently.

Think most would have taken a draw against them.

Not having the positives from Chaddy. Or the possession stats posted on here.

Unfortunately I went to the game. The vast majority of possesion came from Hanley, Duffy and Williamson passing sideways and backwards between themselves. Never once threatened. Any decent side would have beaten us last night. Akpan at least runs forward with the ball.

The sub of Taylor off for Henley blows my mind. Unless you make a positive sub alongside it that's a negative sub, even allowing for trying to control Gray.

One of the worst games of football I've ever seen.

It's not his selective analysis. We are generating far more chances than the opposition regularly. Though not last night to be fair. Sounds like there were only a couple of decent chances per side.

I'm not excusing Bowyer. He is as responsible for finishing as much as anything else. But we are limiting opposition chances and generating our own.

Are we? Again, I think this is a case of people believing what they are told as opposed to relying on what they've seen. Have a look at the match reports and stats from our previous games. Burnley, I would agree with as we dominated. Fulham, Ipswich, Bolton, Charlton and Cardiff we also out-chanced the opposition. The rest of the games were very much close in terms of shots/corners etc or in favour of the opposition, with the likes of Huddersfield dominating us. That's six games out fifteen where we were clearly the better side. I know Bowyer would have you believe differently but for the majority of games the opposition manager had just as much right to claim his side deserved the win as Gaz did.

EDIT: added Ipswich.

Unfortunately I went to the game. The vast majority of possesion came from Hanley, Duffy and Williamson passing sideways and backwards between themselves. Never once threatened. Any decent side would have beaten us last night. Akpan at least runs forward with the ball.

The sub of Taylor off for Henley blows my mind. Unless you make a positive sub alongside it that's a negative sub, even allowing for trying to control Gray.

I took the Henley substitution as being quite logical - obviously not there, but from the radio it sound like Marshall was starting to struggle against their winger and had just been booked - IMO pushing Marshall up field and bringing on Henley reduced the risk of Marshall getting a second yellow.

I took the Henley substitution as being quite logical - obviously not there, but from the radio it sound like Marshall was starting to struggle against their winger and had just been booked - IMO pushing Marshall up field and bringing on Henley reduced the risk of Marshall getting a second yellow.

That's how I read it too plus (theoretically) improved attacking options from a guy who can score & cross

Marshall shouldn't be played at right back unless there is no alternative. If Henley isn't in favour then we should sign another right back, rather than shoehorning one of our best attacking players into the right back slot.

If Lowe was fit then he could step in for Henley when Henley is suspended/unfit/out of form, but keeping a fit Henley on the bench so Marshall can play right back isn't on IMO.

Marshall can obviously play at right back to a good standard and in the last 3-4 games has done well, but in a side struggling to score or create he simply has to be put to use further up the field in a more offensive role.

Unfortunately I went to the game. The vast majority of possession came from Hanley, Duffy and Williamson passing sideways and backwards between themselves. Never once threatened. Any decent side would have beaten us last night. Akpan at least runs forward with the ball.

Come on son snap out of it. One of the worst games? You do really need more BRFC suffering and without resorting to Monty Pythons 4 Yorkshiremen sketch, you were lucky to miss out on those years in tier 3, it makes the highs so much more.

Come on son snap out of it. One of the worst games? You do really need more BRFC suffering and without resorting to Monty Pythons 4 Yorkshiremen sketch, you were lucky to miss out on those years in tier 3, it makes the highs so much more.

Some of my best moments following the Rovers happened in div 3,

Think you might find that J*B was around then too

You didn't go last night then.

The football in the old third division days was better than it is now. At least the players moved the ball forwards and tried to score when in possession.

There are still many games to be played and in this league everything can happen. Its all about momentum.

If today despite the bad start of the season we are only 9 points away from the play-offs, I think we have a reason to be optimistic.

When has bowyer ever gained any momentum?

I personally would have been bringing Henley on for Williamson and playing Taylor, Lawrence or Marshall centrally. But i'm not a football manager.

Thankfully, father(!), you have brought me up watching the Premier League Champions, the Souness era of Duff, Dunn and Jansen, the Hughes era of Tugay, Bellamy and the Bully Boys and the Big Sam days with Benni up.

I haven't seen Rovers in tier 3 - yet (although I expect I will do soon). Frankly i'm not bothered about seeing us challenge for Europe, beat United at home and play in cup Finals. I've accepted that we are a club nowadays in a similar size to the Burnleys and Prestons, despite growing up watching a much higher standard. I don't mind watching us play Birmingham on a cold Tuesday night in November. But I would like to see Rovers play positive football and look to entertain the fans.

Under GB we're going to continue mediocrity, winning some, losing some, drawing some - but never being the side that plays with heart and passion and belief. Maybe i've been spoilt, but these definitely aren't highs!

Some of my best moments following the Rovers happened in div 3,

Think you might find that J*B was around then too

Brilliant!

You didn't go last night then.

The football in the old third division days was better than it is now. At least the players moved the ball forwards and tried to score when in possession.

He did (he sat next to me!) - he's just happy to clap off Gary and his boys for a 0-0 draw with 1 (comfortable) shot on target. I'd rather see us attempt to play football and win games, even if that see's us lose some.

Not defending Bowyer for one minute here but " I'd rather see us attempt to play football and win games, even if that see's us lose some." ..J*B.....would only bring out more calls of "hes only won X many games out of Y many games "...the goal posts will always be moved to satisfy some argument.Attacking football will not be good enough if results dont match.

He d be on a hiding to nothing either way.

Only a sustained and consistant picking up of points taking us up the league will win back SOME support for Bowyer,but unfortunately hes passed his sell by date for the majority.

Again win against Brentford that would be 7 from 9pts ...its a start (we ve got to start somewhere! )..carry that sort of points return in the next ten games then we may start to talk about Bowyer FINALLY getting his head around this.

Bloody big IF though

Not defending Bowyer for one minute here but " I'd rather see us attempt to play football and win games, even if that see's us lose some." would only bring out more calls of "hes only won X many games out of Y many games "...the goal posts will always be moved to satisfy some argument.Attacking football will not be good enough if results dont match.

He d be on a hiding to nothing either way.

Only a sustained and consistant picking up of points taking us up the league will win back SOME support for Bowyer,but unfortunately hes passed his sell by date for the majority.

Again win against Brentford that would be 7 from 9pts ...its a start (we ve got to start somewhere! )..carry that sort of points return in the next ten games then we may start to talk about Bowyer FINALLY getting his head around this.

Bloody big IF though

Its the mentally I want. I want someone to come in with the attitude "Someone's got to go up - why not try and make it us?". Burnley wen't up with a squad i'd argue is similar in quality to ours, because they went out organised and prepared to win games. We're too happy to lose and draw if you ask me.

Ah,now thats completely different.

Someone else coming in with that mentality will get the full backing of the fans for a sustained period of time and would be quite happy to strap in and get on the ride . Honeymoon period ?

That unfortunately wont happen with Bowyer.Most fans see him as damaged goods and are now at the point with what ever he does it isnt going to be right.

Again only only a consistant points haul and a leap frog up the table will quieten a lot of fans until it all goes wrong again and they will be on to Bowyer with a vengeance.

Basically hes been in charge too long

Are we? Again, I think this is a case of people believing what they are told as opposed to relying on what they've seen. Have a look at the match reports and stats from our previous games. Burnley, I would agree with as we dominated. Fulham, Ipswich, Bolton, Charlton and Cardiff we also out-chanced the opposition. The rest of the games were very much close in terms of shots/corners etc or in favour of the opposition, with the likes of Huddersfield dominating us. That's six games out fifteen where we were clearly the better side. I know Bowyer would have you believe differently but for the majority of games the opposition manager had just as much right to claim his side deserved the win as Gaz did.

EDIT: added Ipswich.

I am only really counting from Fulham away as that's when we (finally) found a good system.

Since then we've had one game where we got battered - MK Dons - played 3 very tight draws against Hull, Birmingham and Derby, and played very well against Burnley, Charlton, Fulham, Ipswich. Leeds I would say we comfortably controlled as well.

So we have improved, there's no doubt about that.

That's just the last spot- we are 14 off the other play off contenders!!

All we need is the 6th spot.

I know that we are closer to the 22nd spot and it will be more reasonable to talk about avoiding relegation but I try to stay optimistic.

I really think that we can only play better from here and we have the players that can do that, but maybe I am wrong.

Saw these highlights via the LT - oddly using the Brum version.......

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/13944473.VIDEO_HIGHLIGHTS__Birmingham_City_0_Blackburn_Rovers_0/?ref=mac

Basic stuff but Duffy should be trained to head the ball downwards when attacking as he's using the same technique as he would when defending, hence he heads the ball up. He is good in the air and could be a regular scorer in the Championship from set-plays.

I am only really counting from Fulham away as that's when we (finally) found a good system.

Since then we've had one game where we got battered - MK Dons - played 3 very tight draws against Hull, Birmingham and Derby, and played very well against Burnley, Charlton, Fulham, Ipswich. Leeds I would say we comfortably controlled as well.

So we have improved, there's no doubt about that.

We've only scored in 1 of our last 5 games. We must have been starting from a bloody bad place if that's improvement.

Saw these highlights via the LT - oddly using the Brum version.......

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/13944473.VIDEO_HIGHLIGHTS__Birmingham_City_0_Blackburn_Rovers_0/?ref=mac

Basic stuff but Duffy should be trained to head the ball downwards when attacking as he's using the same technique as he would when defending, hence he heads the ball up. He is good in the air and could be a regular scorer in the Championship from set-plays.

Akpan appears to have an absolute stinker in those highlights.

Archived