BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Manager

Tom

Next Rovers Manager  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next Rovers manager?

• Paul Lambert
    • David Moyes
    • Slovisa Jokanovic
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Paolo di Canio
    • Uwe Rosler
    • David Dunn
    • Billy McKinlay
    • Malky Mackay
    • Ian Holloway
    • Alex McLeish
    • Gus Poyet
    • Tugay Kerimoglu
    • Simon Grayson
    • Billy Davies

In the newspaper

He didn't say it WILL happen, to be fair. Only that it could happen in the next 24 hours, which means by tomorrow morning, but that sounds like a long-shot. However, he is saying that Venkys original plan was to announce it this weekend.

I suppose it's impossible to tell. I think if it doesn't happen within a week of the speculation starting, then it ain't going to!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd prefer Lambert/Pearson, but after those two Davies would be my choice.

Available, experienced, point to prove, excellent record in this league at Preston, Derby and Forest. 5 play-offs and 1 promotion in 6 seasons in the Championship? Can't really argue with that.

Don't see how him and Venkys would work, and him and Shaw hate each other by some accounts.

Davies' name crops up every time we have a vacancy but as you say the alleged dislike between him and Shaw probably make that unlikely. I get the impression with him that things invariably start off well but that after a time he starts falling out with his own shadow and things start going South.

Think if there is no announcement by Monday tea time, then its time to start panicing

That's the timeline that I have in mind. As you say, if by Monday evening there's been no announcement then it's crystal clear that we've put our eggs all in one basket and the proverbial Danny Shittu has hit the fan.

Think if there is no announcement by Monday tea time, then its time to start panicing

The important thing is that we make the right appointment for once even if it takes a little longer. Purely in terms of preparation for Deepdale I would say we could ideally do with someone in by Tuesday teatime but Id rather wait a few days longer and get the right man.

• Backroom

If this goes on for much longer I'm pretty certain we won't get the right person. It'll end up being a ridiculous appointment, as all our others have been. Going into the Preston game without a manager would be stupid, but not unexpected from Venky's. They took a month to hire Henning Berg and over two weeks to hire Michael Appleton.

If other clubs are interested, then a good MD would be on a flight to Germany to try and convince Lambert to go for Rovers.

Unless Lambert gave some sort of verbal indication he'd come but is now having a change of heart it really does seem strange that we'd sack the backroom staff as well as GB unless we thought we had a definite agreement in place.

Unless Lambert gave some sort of verbal indication he'd come but is now having a change of heart it really does seem strange that we'd sack the backroom staff as well as GB unless we thought we had a definite agreement in place.

To quote someone else " a verbal indication isn't worth the paper it isn't written on ". It looks to me that the guy has got cold feet. If it takes him so long to decide, is his heart really going to be in the Rovers job ? We need to be sounding out alternatives if only on a caretaker basis.

I think people have got way ahead of themselves on this thread. Other than a few miserable lines from Alan Nixon and the usual hype-merchants on here there has been precious little to indicate a deal for Lambert is close, or indeed that he is 'the chosen one' at all.

On the other hand, we do sadly have five years experience of Venkys ineptitude to go on, and the longer this drags on, the more it seems we're heading for the same old rubbish.

Also, what about that Shaw rumour? Proper old rollicks, it would seem.

Don't think there's any evidence to suggest Lambert isn't coming.

Just about 72 hours since Bowyer was axed so not sure why anyone is hitting the panic button yet.

I think it's now down to the minutiae (chicken s h I t stuff).

Will only start to worry come Monday morning if no announcement made by then.

I hope it's Lambert but I do have some concerns. The question

I keep asking myself is what is in it for him? It can't be money, he must be worth a few bob and could earn well anywhere he went. I see Rovers currently as an impossible job for any manager and all he can do here is wreck his reputation which currently isn't that bad as although he failed at Villa he was superb at Norwich. We have no proper management structure and are under an embargo but he'll be expected to do well or will be viewed as a failure. I would love to know who has been in charge of recruitment because Shaw couldn't attract a moth if he was a lightbulb and the Chuckle Brothers are surely tainted beyond redemption in football circles..

Maybe there is a plan to sort the behind the scenes stuff out, here's hoping, but without that I'm surprised he would come within a million miles of the place.

As usual there is going to be more questions than answers.

It was all going so well until Mercer confidently predicted with his usual unerring accuracy he'd be unveiled at a presser this afternoon.

I must admit I cringed when he did that. He just seems to like to tempt fate - must be the gambler's blood in him.

Archived