BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

• Moderation Lead

Fundamentally, I think we'll see a big overhaul of the squad in the summer due to the number of players out of contract.

The club seem confident they'll be able to exit the embargo. In any event, all we need to do is point down the road at Bolton who can't pay their players, but aren't embargoed, simply highlighting the flaws of FFP. All we need to do is show our sales in the summer, advise we're keeping costs down, if it goes on any longer it's an unnecessary handicap for us, Forest and anyone else and we could easily argue that it only serves to hold us back whilst other teams are able to spend as they please on similar gates/revenue freely.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His mobility is poor but he could be an option to Rhodes when we are desperately defending a lead (as in the last two games) to hold the ball up using his strength and bulk. To play him in a two up front from the start of a game would be pointless in my opinion.

The proof of the pudding as far as rating him will be if Lambert offers him a new deal for next season

Replacing Conway with Guthrie as most of us could have predicted didn't work and was baffling. Rhodes and Marshall by the 65th minute were immobile, ineffective and effectively in the centre halves pockets. With the defence and midfield under increasing pressure we needed someone with the physicality to hold the ball up when it was cleared from deep. They should both have been subbed after 65mins with Brown on to battle with the Sheff Wed defenders and with either Lawrence or Delfuenso to play off him. Saturday was a perfect example of needing horses for courses.

Not that huge a compliment, just mentioning his strengths. Mind you when you've got an always injured French chap and Delfy as your rivals, you're pretty much guaranteed a look in.

Interesting was 11 players out of contract in the summer so Lambert would get the chance to really make it his team in the summer. Of those out of contract only Conway and Olsson would be certs for new contracts imo.

Being as how its the Championship, arguably the most closely fought and frequently fluctuating professional league in the world, personally I think the form table is as important (possibly more important) as the actual table when you play teams. Preston and Sheff Wednesday were both 7th in the form table at the time we played them, so I'd say 4 points (and 5 minutes away from 6) is a decent start. Bristol City, Rotherham and Forest are currently 15th, 20th and 18th in the form table. These are ones we can certainly win.

There are times when I can't help but think PL is talking to this Message board. Everything he's said so far makes sense ^_^

According to some, this MB is not representative of the fan base,

Funny how a lot items that get discussed on here become reality.

Walls have ears.

Now THAT is a manager:

Upping the ante on Rhodes, going for the win!

http://m.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14123117.Paul_Lambert__Blackburn_Rovers_need_to_strengthen_squad/

Well that's novel - sit down and discuss a plan! Who's idea was that then? And I bet it was a plan to "improve" things as well. What's wrong with working towards the natural order of things? This is all pie in the sky stuff. Won't go down well with the fans for goodness sake. These people will have the club bust within months if they continue, - idiots the lot of 'em.

Noticed that Lambert has also congratulated the owners in getting out of FFP - how long before he is lambasted in the same way Bowyer was for saying anything remotely positive about the owners ?

For me Lambert still has it all to prove - he is talking the talking - but at the moment the performances have been a way from the required standard. Let's hope we see some genuine improvement over the next few weeks.

Noticed that Lambert has also congratulated the owners in getting out of FFP - how long before he is lambasted in the same way Bowyer was for saying anything remotely positive about the owners ?

For me Lambert still has it all to prove - he is talking the talking - but at the moment the performances have been a way from the required standard. Let's hope we see some genuine improvement over the next few weeks.

I know you were a supporter of GB but we have seen some genuine improvement in the attitude of the players already imho. Not perfect and they lapsed into old habits in the second half against Wednesday but better nonetheless.

What is "the required standard"? Make no mistake, we are in a significantly weaker position as a club and team than we were when Bowyer first took over. Our attraction level to new players has plummeted during that time. Back then we were seen as a recent Premier League club still in the throws of the parachute payment windfall. Now we're seen as an entrenched mid-table Championship club with serious money problems. Our attraction level has declined during Bowyer's tenure, our squad has got worse, and our financial muscle has got worse.

If your required standard is anything above a decent tilt at the play-offs next season (when we don't have a Bowyer-instigated 11 point disadvantage, that's like the deduction you get for going into administration), then its grossly unfair.

Our last 2 games have been tough ones. Fans don't seem to have a problem accepting that with Wednesday but given the form Preston were in (6 consecutive clean sheets), and the time Lambert had to instigate change before that game, that was a brilliant win.

And if "performances" actually don't have much to do with winning then all I can do is groan very loudly. Its back to the Big Sam days where Premier League/Champions League spoilt Sky Sports subscribers watch some of the best players in the world tip-tap around the pitch for 5 minutes at a time and demand their local team does the same. Performances should be about winning, not about giving it your best possible go at imitating how Barcelona or computer game teams play.

I know you were a supporter of GB but we have seen some genuine improvement in the attitude of the players already imho. Not perfect and they lapsed into old habits in the second half against Wednesday but better nonetheless.

I remember when Hughes first came in - and in truth he had to break a few eggs before he got us playing as he wanted us to.

Up to now there has been an improvement in pressing the opposition - but that has been somewhat offset by poorer pass completion. It is obvious that Lambert plays a more % based football - with more long balls - but some of these seemed to be to get the opposition defence to turn and run towards their own goal rather than hopeful punts.

It is true I did support GB more than most - though agreed some months prior that he needed to move on. Indeed it was a shame he didn't do it himself - as I feel he has damaged his standing with Rovers fans by hanging on a little too long - but personally I will always be grateful for dragging us out of the dark times post Kean/Berg/Appleton. If Lambert thinks there is negativity now - he should have been here the time Bowyer took over !

Personally I do think (in combination with Irving) is the best we could have got - in fact I would say it is a far better management team than I thought we could still attract. But I still think there is some way to go - but at least things are looking up.

What is "the required standard"? Make no mistake, we are in a significantly weaker position as a club and team than we were when Bowyer first took over. Our attraction level to new players has plummeted during that time. Back then we were seen as a recent Premier League club still in the throws of the parachute payment windfall. Now we're seen as an entrenched mid-table Championship club with serious money problems. Our attraction level has declined during Bowyer's tenure, our squad has got worse, and our financial muscle has got worse.

If your required standard is anything above a decent tilt at the play-offs next season (when we don't have a Bowyer-instigated 11 point disadvantage, that's like the deduction you get for going into administration), then its grossly unfair.

Our last 2 games have been tough ones. Fans don't seem to have a problem accepting that with Wednesday but given the form Preston were in (6 consecutive clean sheets), and the time Lambert had to instigate change before that game, that was a brilliant win.

And if "performances" actually don't have much to do with winning then all I can do is groan very loudly. Its back to the Big Sam days where Premier League/Champions League spoilt Sky Sports subscribers watch some of the best players in the world tip-tap around the pitch for 5 minutes at a time and demand their local team does the same. Performances should be about winning, not about giving it your best possible go at imitating how Barcelona or computer game teams play.

I think you have a short memory to say Bowyer left us in a worse state than when he took over - we were going only one way and that was League 1. Finance's are worse - but in truth there was only so much Bowyer could do about that.

Required standard for me is about quality of football - and I don't necessarily mean Barcelona like play - but just retaining the ball better, taking chances and defending better. Made no comment about the standard being based on final league position - at the end of the day 4 points out of two matches isn't a bad start.

I agree performances should be about winning - but I remember the time under Kean when we were top of the Championship while playing poorly - everybody recognised we couldn't maintain the points return playing so poorly, and so it proved. There has to be a balance - or over a season poor performances will eventually catch up with you.

(BTW can't afford Sky Sports - and it must be 20 years since I played a very early version of Champ Mgr)

Archived