BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

Noticed that Lambert has also congratulated the owners in getting out of FFP - how long before he is lambasted in the same way Bowyer was for saying anything remotely positive about the owners ?

For me Lambert still has it all to prove - he is talking the talking - but at the moment the performances have been a way from the required standard. Let's hope we see some genuine improvement over the next few weeks.

2 weeks, 2 games, 4 points out of 6 with a team indoctrinated by the previous incumbent in mediocrity being good. Lambert's done swell so far.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noticed that Lambert has also congratulated the owners in getting out of FFP - how long before he is lambasted in the same way Bowyer was for saying anything remotely positive about the owners ?

For me Lambert still has it all to prove - he is talking the talking - but at the moment the performances have been a way from the required standard. Let's hope we see some genuine improvement over the next few weeks.

He can congratulate the owners because he is qualified and worthy of the role here. Some previous managers have been pretenders to the throne and became rather self-saving.

He can congratulate the owners because he is qualified and worthy of the role here. Some previous managers have been pretenders to the throne and became rather self-saving.

What do you expect them to say? They hardly appointed themselves.

Managers pretty much say the same cliches except we've had one particularly bad liar in the recent past, which goes a fair way to explain people's paranoia and ease to find problems with comments.

The embargo is an "excuse" and "pray to lord Rowett" comments in the past 6 months have been destroyed by Lambert's comments today in my view- the restrictions being lifted are a huge boost.

• Backroom

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14125773.Former_Blackburn_Rovers_boss_Gary_Bowyer_interested_in_Reading_job/?ref=mac

I'd put this in the Bowyer thread but one of the newer, more trigger-happy mods keeps locking it :-)

Would be happy for Reading to employ him, as I think that would be one other team out of the picture in terms of being a threat to the playoff places.

Interesting that he says he has been focusing on what went well. Ideally you focus on what didn't go well to try and avoid the same issues happening in future.

With a clean slate Bowyer might improve, though. There was a lot of unavoidable baggage he inherited when taking the manager's position, both from his time at the club previously and from the issues the club had faced up until that point.

Wonder if he's interested in the Fulham position, too?

• Backroom

Interesting - if we draw tomorrow (which wouldn't be a bad result) he will have exactly the same record as Bowyer's final three matches !

If we go another sixteen league games with only three wins, then it might be time to criticise. It's pointless to think about it with two or three matches played.

Interesting - if we draw tomorrow (which wouldn't be a bad result) he will have exactly the same record as Bowyer's final three matches !

Fairly selective use of stats there. If after that PL also only matched the twelve points GB got from the first 13 games then that might be the time to get worried!

• Backroom

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14125773.Former_Blackburn_Rovers_boss_Gary_Bowyer_interested_in_Reading_job/?ref=mac

I'd put this in the Bowyer thread but one of the newer, more trigger-happy mods keeps locking it :-)

Before you go pointing fingers, it's been locked 3 times by different mods each time. The most recent was one of the old school mods.

Personally I'm expecting a win tomorrow. Would even whinge at a draw unless there are extenuating circumstances.

I think you have a short memory to say Bowyer left us in a worse state than when he took over - we were going only one way and that was League 1. Finance's are worse - but in truth there was only so much Bowyer could do about that.

Required standard for me is about quality of football - and I don't necessarily mean Barcelona like play - but just retaining the ball better, taking chances and defending better. Made no comment about the standard being based on final league position - at the end of the day 4 points out of two matches isn't a bad start.

I agree performances should be about winning - but I remember the time under Kean when we were top of the Championship while playing poorly - everybody recognised we couldn't maintain the points return playing so poorly, and so it proved. There has to be a balance - or over a season poor performances will eventually catch up with you.

(BTW can't afford Sky Sports - and it must be 20 years since I played a very early version of Champ Mgr)

Pretty clear we were going only one way at the end of bowyers tenure.

What do you expect them to say? They hardly appointed themselves.

Managers pretty much say the same cliches except we've had one particularly bad liar in the recent past, which goes a fair way to explain people's paranoia and ease to find problems with comments.

The embargo is an "excuse" and "pray to lord Rowett" comments in the past 6 months have been destroyed by Lambert's comments today in my view- the restrictions being lifted are a huge boost.

I was being kind. Previous managers knew they were out of their depths and were/became arse kissers to the establishment. In my opinion, for their own gain. I don't sense that is what Lambert is about. Says it as it is kind of guy...hence why he has my instant respect.

I don't think we've improved in terms of product yet. Looking at the way we are scoring and defending, I'd say he's started off doing basics.

According to one I know who went yesterday, and the other two games I've seen- we are defending much better. Back four as a group.

Still some individual errors but it's certainly improvement. We've also scored 6 goals in 3 games from set pieces which is something I've wanted us to improve on in this league for some time!

I don't think we've improved in terms of product yet. Looking at the way we are scoring and defending, I'd say he's started off doing basics.

According to one I know who went yesterday, and the other two games I've seen- we are defending much better. Back four as a group.

Still some individual errors but it's certainly improvement. We've also scored 6 goals in 3 games from set pieces which is something I've wanted us to improve on in this league for some time!

The end product has improved because that is winning and we have averaged two goals in each game. The organisation, shape and intensity are the fundamental differences in my opinion. Also we have kept pretty much the same team for three games. Bowyers rotation policy was, I thought more to keep players happy than for the benefit of the team.

We are still a work in progress and probably will be for some time yet but I am enjoying the winning feeling and looking forward to games once again.

I view it until the end of Jan as his pre season. Every win that we get between now and then is a bonus and hopefully afterwards 'his' team and style will take shape. If we run it close for the playoffs, or even suffer heartache, I'm certain it will make us ruthless next season.

GB this season W3 D8 L5 and a home defeat to Shrewsbury in the League Cup

PL this season W2 D1 L0

No I cannot see any genuine improvement either...

Bloody hell, I hope the key word in that first sentence is 'yet'.

Just noticed that not only have we got Lambert, Irvine and Rob Kelly...Malkie McKay is also training Rovers (voluntarily )

Bloody hell really? Always rated him. Get him on board... Absolute dream team!

Archived