BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

If there was no question at all of winning or achieving anything this season ( i.e. making the play offs) then I'd want to see some entertaining football or a significant improvement in our style of play. You've got to have something to keep you going. That's my reservation about big Sam really if there's no question whatsoever of winning anything and you're only going to finish mid table at best, then given a choice I'd rather finish mid table and be entertained than be bored witless by the style of football.

Thing is Rev, for a club of our resources, Sam was the closest thing possible to a guarantee of top flight football- with mid table being achievable under him. So why rock the boat and end up going down?

Now if you could replace a Sam with someone who plays football in 'the right way' and still get the same results with limited players, then great, but these were risks that didn't need to be taken.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing is Rev, for a club of our resources, Sam was the closest thing possible to a guarantee of top flight football- with mid table being achievable under him. So why rock the boat and end up going down?

Now if you could replace a Sam with someone who plays football in 'the right way' and still get the same results with limited players, then great, but these were risks that didn't need to be taken.

Missing the point entirely for our current situation I think. The likes of Hughes and Bilic have shown you CAN do it in a far more entertaining manner, just because we ended up with a novice coach in Kean in rather dubious and one off circumstances doesn't mean the choice always has to be a stark one between drudgery or relegation. However if Sam's style of football was successful enough to guarantee the odd trophy and Champions League football every year, you'd take it over a less successful but more expansive style every time.

The same applies to us currently. And I'd imagine most of the people currently moaning about the quality of football would be the same ones advancing exactly the same counter argument you've just done that the quality of football under Sam didn't matter!

Missing the point entirely for our current situation I think. The likes of Hughes and Bilic have shown you CAN do it in a far more entertaining manner, just because we ended up with a novice coach in Kean in rather dubious and one off circumstances doesn't mean the choice always has to be a stark one between drudgery or relegation. However if Sam's style of football was successful enough to guarantee the odd trophy and Champions League football every year, you'd take it over a less successful but more expansive style every time.

End of the day I had no issue with the style of football anyway, I was only interested in results, end of, so perhaps I'm the wrong person to have this debate with.

However, I'm not interested in West Ham, was it wise for Blackburn Rovers to change course when we had a manager that was likely to get us mid table and if had a bit of cash to spend could have had us even further up the table? Doesn't sound very wise to me.

If Lambert got us into the Premier League and kept us in mid table playing a prosaic brand of football, after everything we've been through, he would have my support all the way.

Regardless of style over substance. January is a huge month for us. I think everyone barring one or two exceptions is chuffed lambert is here. But I also think it's fair to say the transformation thus far hasn't been mind blowing in terms of what we have served up. That's not a criticism because we've won and that's all there is to it. But I wouldn't say that we've been dominant and I would think Lambert would agree that we can be much much better in some departments. I, like matty, couldn't give a toss if we play dour stuff and get promoted. But it's fair to say we don't seem to have the squad to play either direct, percentage football or free flowing passing stuff either. When January comes along and lambert has his chance to bring in the types he wants then it will be a fairer time to pass judgement. I said previously I have serious doubts that we can go up this season. I think this season should be considered a freebie for PL to develop his ideas. And if I'm honest, despite the good form since he's been here, I'm not sure we're all that far away from being derailed. That's not negativity imo. Just the way I see it in a season where change is being implemented and new management getting bedded in. If after the January and the summer windows we field a side of 11 6ft 4" powerhouses who are great from set pieces and we bulldoze our way past most sides, then I'll be happy as Larry.

Bloody hell lets not move the goal posts already!

Winning games AND expecting free flowing exciting football?? After three games??

PL has inherited a squad not of his own choosing who have had a certain mindset drilled into them for three season. To change all that is going to take some doing. Im surprised we ve picked up as many points as we have !

Sometimes you ve got to go backwards to go forwards folks !

Winning games AND expecting free flowing exciting football?? After three games??

PL has inherited a squad not of his own choosing who have had a certain mindset drilled into them for three season. To change all that is going to take some doing. Im surprised we ve picked up as many points as we have !

To me it's the mindset of the players that's been the major part of the problem as opposed to any lack of ability. (Although there's always room for improvement in that direction)

Doesn't matter if we don't turn up until the second half or don't give it our all for 90 mins or win lose or draw.

Etc.

• Moderation Lead

Please don't paraphrase Steve Kean again... :(

Some interesting facts (data from whoscored.com):

• Duffy is our most highly rated player and 8th overall in the full Championship list (7.44).
  • He is the only Rover to make the November Championship Team of the Month.
  • He has won more aerial balls than any other player in the division (Joe Garner is 2nd).
  • He has made more clearances than any other player in the division.
  • He has more Man of the Match awards (3) than any other Rover.
  • Our 2 central defenders were the most highly rated players on the pitch yesterday.

On that last point, they also were against Preston and were both in the team of the week then as well. I think something else worth mentioning is that Hanley and Duffy aside, we're a very small, lightweight team in what has always been a rough and tumble league. Particularly away from home where the usual slight home bias from the ref means the opposition can rough us up a bit more, the physical stature of our 2 centre halves is very important. And at 24 and 23 years old, we could be looking at a hell of a partnership in a few years.

First and foremost it's a result based business and Lambert has delivered so far, I would rather play solid football and win than play exciting on the edge of your seat football and lose. Do I think Lambert wants to play more expansive football? Yes, but it's going to take time.

Remember Hughes when he took over? His first phase of rebuilding was to make this team hard to beat and then he added a bit more flair later on after building a strong foundation. It looks to me like Lambert is doing the same thing which is sensible management and highlights even more that we finally after many years have a manager instead of a head coach.

So far he hasn't put a foot wrong as far as i'm concerned.

To me it's the mindset of the players that's been the major part of the problem as opposed to any lack of ability. (Although there's always room for improvement in that direction)

Doesn't matter if we don't turn up until the second half or don't give it our all for 90 mins or win lose or draw.

Etc.

I agree , first and foremost the mentality of the players has to change. Coming flying out of the blocks straight away, getting your noses in front, shrugging off conceding a goal, keeping clean sheets, not allowing the opposition free shots from around the " D " ( a Rovers speciality under Bowyer ) playing games out comfortably when you're a goal in front. We've been poor at all these aspects of the game previously.

None of these parts of the game are over reliant on pure skill it's all about attitude and effort and the will to chase lost causes. If Lambert can't improve these elements he's not the manager I thought he was.

The same applies to us currently. And I'd imagine most of the people currently moaning about the quality of football would be the same ones advancing exactly the same counter argument you've just done that the quality of football under Sam didn't matter!

I think you are missing a very significant point. Sam, like Hughes, took over a team in crisis and seemingly certain to go down. His first job was to save us, his second to consolidate and his third to take us as far up the top half of the table as his talents and the Club's budget allowed.

He was never allowed to show how far he could take us because he was summarily sacked before his job was done.

Bolton were not an unattractive football team when he left them. Given time, and more funding than the Trust were prepared to give him, this would have been a different story. I'm quite confident about that but I know others would not be.

I think you are missing a very significant point. Sam, like Hughes, took over a team in crisis and seemingly certain to go down. His first job was to save us, his second to consolidate and his third to take us as far up the top half of the table as his talents and the Club's budget allowed.

He was never allowed to show how far he could take us because he was summarily sacked before his job was done.

Bolton were not an unattractive football team when he left them. Given time, and more funding than the Trust were prepared to give him, this would have been a different story. I'm quite confident about that but I know others would not be.

Don't forget that the trustees/Williams told Allardyce that he had to sell players in order to reduce the debt. I seem to remember he had to sell players to the value of almost £30m. All while improving results.

Hang on a minute, Lambert homself said we were going to do this on the front foot. We want to get the fans out of their seats.

Ill take results for now. Duffy and hanley look an improved pait, I was very very impressed with Mr Hanley on Saturday. To think I advocated flogging him to the Dingles tsk tsk

Regardless of style over substance. January is a huge month for us. I think everyone barring one or two exceptions is chuffed lambert is here. But I also think it's fair to say the transformation thus far hasn't been mind blowing in terms of what we have served up. That's not a criticism because we've won and that's all there is to it. But I wouldn't say that we've been dominant and I would think Lambert would agree that we can be much much better in some departments. I, like matty, couldn't give a toss if we play dour stuff and get promoted. But it's fair to say we don't seem to have the squad to play either direct, percentage football or free flowing passing stuff either. When January comes along and lambert has his chance to bring in the types he wants then it will be a fairer time to pass judgement. I said previously I have serious doubts that we can go up this season. I think this season should be considered a freebie for PL to develop his ideas. And if I'm honest, despite the good form since he's been here, I'm not sure we're all that far away from being derailed. That's not negativity imo. Just the way I see it in a season where change is being implemented and new management getting bedded in. If after the January and the summer windows we field a side of 11 6ft 4" powerhouses who are great from set pieces and we bulldoze our way past most sides, then I'll be happy as Larry.

Sacking GB and the selective but drastic clearance of staff was mind blowing

Selecting PL and actually getting him in the teeth of serious interest from elsewhere was mind blowing

7 points out of 9 are mind blowing

Taking the lead in 3 consecutive matches is mind blowing

Looking like we might be able to defend a lead is mind blowing

Listening to PL saying sensible things is mind blowing

Exiting FFP restrictions is mind blowing

Just having the ability to wheel and deal in January with a boss who has the real deep contacts PL has is far out psychedelic, man, type of mind blowing.

:xmas::xmas: have all come at once for me and its going to be :xmas: every day now

:rover::rover:

Selecting PL and actually getting him in the teeth of serious interest from elsewhere was mind blowing

Just having the ability to wheel and deal in January with a boss who has the real deep contacts PL has is far out psychedelic, man, type of mind blowing.

:xmas::xmas: have all come at once for me and its going to be :xmas: every day now

Glad you're happy at last philipl.

Is it correct that GB sacked the staff 1st before being potted?

Just heard a whisper!

When you put it like that it is very impressive! Granted thee is a long, long way to go but like many I thought we'd never even start on this journey. In that context you can only be happy even if you know there's still a hell of a lot - 5 years worth - to undo.

I was beyond pessimistic for the future of our club and would have considered coming 21st a significant achievement this season under GB.

Now I expect good things, realistically think PL has too big a challenge with too poor a squad to go up this year but the surge of dreams about a hope of promotion have done wonders for my outlook on Rovers, life, the universe and everything...

IT LOOKS LIKE venky's are hanging in there and backing themselves and PL on a promotion drive when anyone looking in from the outside under a certain previous manager might have said the club was no better than a nice name in the Indian betting dens.

Yes I do believe that much of what has preceded the current renaissance was dodgy in the extreme and involved people who metaphorically-speaking stank to high heaven. Yes I do think that the current unravelling of FIFA will reveal all kinds of uncomfortable and unpalatable truths (for instance, Franz Beckenbauer's reputation is being pretty comprehensively trashed in the Maltese Courts right now) and as a by-product of all his mayhem, certain names which have been very familiar to Rovers fans might find they no longer have a reputation of any standing and suddenly the lawyers of the Mail, the BBC, the Economist and the New York Times amongst others will greenlight stories which only the threat of litigation has prevented them from seeing the light of day thus far.

Not from what I heard. GB went first then the axe fell further down. Shaw was apparently not informed until after the sackings if you want the gossipy bit.

Heard it slightly different with an unfair dismissal case in the offing

I do wonder what the grounds are to claim unfair dismissal as a manager. Surely the owners can pot whoever they like, whenever they like and providing they stump up the compo, there should be no complaints?

Could explain Bowyer's lack of comment until he declared himself interested in the Reading job. He no doubt thinks he's hard done by, backed up by the likes of Gallacher and Garner in the local rag, but is there really a case for unfair dismissal? Despite BRFC making this jumped-up youth coach a millionaire, it would be disappointing yet telling if Bowyer tried to squeeze the club for all the pennies he can get.

Archived