SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

He doesn't have the ability KHod. That's why he's still in the championship and why Scotland don't want him. You do accept that, don't you?

No, I do not. I accept he could probably do more, but christ, aimless punts to him with immobile and slow midfielders would make it hard for any striker to thrive!

No, I do not. I accept he could probably do more, but christ, aimless punts to him with immobile and slow midfielders would make it hard for any striker to thrive!

Yet we continue to do this - even when Brown went off against Newport we spent the rest of the half hitting balls at Lawrence.

I'm not sure what the solution is but IMO a more creative midfielder who can look up should create more chances for him. It's a pointless signing though if we are lumping the ball.

Saying he hasn't got ability is pretty silly though. We all know that lad can score with service - we also know he's not quick or strong like other strikers.

It's dangerous to be so reliant on him though because we suffer when his form dips. The signing of Graham and the comments about his previous scoring record make me think PL has noticed this.

I think the reason us and (IMO) most teams in this league persist with long-ball is the modern game makes passing it up the field an extremely risky endeavour unless most of your defence/midfield is very comfortable on the ball. Teams press high, are phenomenally organised defensively to the point of giving few safe passing options, and very few players can take someone on these days due to the rise of the arm across the chest/neck method of tackling.

It always amuses me that so many fans view passing football as massively important and yet are the first to start panicking, shouting "get it forward!" or "stop ******* about with it!" and going skitz at the defensive midfielder whenever its attempted. This extremely jumpy lack of patience and total fury from fans when it causes a team to lose possession is also a contributing factor to players not wanting to try it.

Long-ball is the safe option if you've a striker who can just disrupt (doesn't have to win it) the centre-halve's header even 40% of the time. That means 40% of the time you have the opportunity to pick the 2nd ball up in their half having skirted the extremely dangerous obstacle of the opposition midfield, and I'd say the majority of managers consider that the most productive approach in this league. Lambert is clearly one of those managers.

The only way I see Rhodes fitting into a long-ball game is by having 2 strikers playing in front of 2 defensive midfielders, exactly like Burnley did with Ings/Vokes, and Jones/Marney constantly sitting (those 2 midfielders scored 4 goals in 84 games between them the season Burnley went up). But even with a strike partner Rhodes needs to become much more aggressive and determined in his hold up play and in the air. He can look at that little **** Garner from Preston if he needs an example of how to make an impact with a small physique in a long-ball team.

He doesn't have the ability KHod. That's why he's still in the championship and why Scotland don't want him. You do accept that, don't you?

People will mention Swansea City of course but that does come across somewhat as a panic bid. Especially with the messed up management situation they have at the moment. However you have to recall that Lambert didn't pick Rhodes to start in the FA Cup. Is that because he didn't want to risk injury? That makes no real sense because he still trains every day. Or more likely because he sees the league as the main priority (either he sees the playoffs as likely or concerns about a relegation fight personally I don't think either are likely) and wanted to save Rhodes and to contradict myself somewhat perhaps to avoid injury. In the summer of course maybe it will be different who knows...

Long-ball is the safe option if you've a striker who can just disrupt (doesn't have to win it) the centre-halve's header even 40% of the time. That means 40% of the time you have the opportunity to pick the 2nd ball up in their half having skirted the extremely dangerous obstacle of the opposition midfield, and I'd say the majority of managers consider that the most productive approach in this league. Lambert is clearly one of those managers.

Agree with much of that - the key part being the part I quoted. Not many teams will leave this division playing possession based tika taka styles.

Big Sams blackburn are a grand example of results based tactics rather than "style". Admittedly letting the reigns off a bit when we where safe.

The difference I felt was we've persisted in "responsibility shirking" passes throughout this tough spell. Obviously that comes around with confidence but a few times in the Bolton/Brighton games I nearly tore my hair out watching us give the ball back through lumping it time after time.

In both games, we where losing the 2nd ball battle - it's imperative to alter the approach according to how games play out. It's a strange one because I felt Akpan has those "clean up" attributes for winning both attacking and defensive 2nd balls.

I think the long route is a necessary part of any tactic - it's telling how the media report long ball and direct football as different ways for different clubs. That might explain some fans ridiculous comments about "the right way to play" - for instance calling direct percentage play boring, when it's done correctly it results in a higher percentage of chances or box entries and essentially goals aka excitement.

The best tactics (IMO) always utilise various strengths but I felt we've fallen down recently by reverting to hitting that big man regardless of outcome. A lot of it's been down to personnel perhaps but in the past these players have utilised the flanks much more effectively.

We are still very much at the teething stage tactically anyway - so whilst it's important to discuss what we've seen, I'm not forgetting it's early days.

:)

Could probably do more? Just be honest KH.

Whenever anyone mentions the fact that he has done nothing in a game, it's because he never gets the "service". Yet at the same time he gets enough "service" in a season to score 20 goals. How does that work then?

The facts are he's a brilliant finisher when he gets sight of goal inside the box. anywhere else and he doesn't have what's needed. So on the one hand he's a real asset, while on the other hand front runners who can't get involved put the rest of the side under constant pressure. That's what's been happening here for two or three years - Rhodes scores every two or three games, but at the same time the team struggles to dominate a game. He contributes to both, so what's the point having a fortune running around the park getting us nowhere? What would you do - carry on struggling as we are, or sell and strengthen all round? At the end of the day, No individual is going to turn round our fortunes. The squad needs real investment in my opinion and assuming the owners aren't going to find ten million to give Lambert, there's only one way to raise it.

So there you are, I still hate him. 😄

• Moderation Lead

I've been honest Den! I'm not as absolute as other people in their views on Rhodes. What I will say though, if we do sell him and get 'a better team', we'll have to tread very carefully! I'm also not sure it will be as easy as some people think either.

I was told today that Lambert insists all the Rovers players turn up at Brockhall a minimum of 1 hour before training rather than the 10 minutes or so under GB. There are no more excuses for late starts due to "sorry boss I have lost my boots" malarkey.

They have an additional hour per day training compared to the previous regime and only 1 day off per week.

After training it is compulsory for all the players to have lunch together rather than slope off as before....he is insistent on building togetherness and a team spirit. He wants it done his way and a few off the players are still struggling to accept they have a real boss.

I was told today that Lambert insists all the Rovers players turn up at Brockhall a minimum of 1 hour before training rather than the 10 minutes or so under GB. There are no more excuses for late starts due to "sorry boss I have lost my boots" malarkey.

They have an additional hour per day training compared to the previous regime and only 1 day off per week.

After training it is compulsory for all the players to have lunch together rather than slope off as before....he is insistent on building togetherness and a team spirit. He wants it done his way and a few off the players are still struggling to accept they have a real boss.

Brilliant that. Though the hour before training is a tad excessive imo. Rest is great.

I can imagine how working 6 days a week would be a struggle, particularly those with young families. I'd hate to do it. Occasionally I have to do weekend call on top of 5 days a week and I can't stand it.

Surely a fair compromise would be win on Saturday and you get Sunday off! That could improve results!

Wish I could get paid ££££££s for doing keepy uppies and running on the treadmill for 30 hours a week.

I was expecting a response like that which is fair enough. Having played football to a semi decent level in my mid-late teens, the enjoyment was completely sapped out training twice a week and playing competitively twice a week. I got bored of it. I could not have hacked 6 days a week of playing intensive football. A lot struggle with it. For them it's a job like any other job, just better paid than most.

I've always been quite glad its called "Brockhall" and not "Brockhole". One sounds quite classy and upmarket something that wouldn't seen out of place in the richer areas of London. The other sounds like some downtrodden backstreet dump in Salford.

As for Lambert's more intensive training sometimes the best thing for people is to take them out of their comfort zone. Infact the best instances would be when players want to stay behind for extra training. I wouldn't be too confident that's happened much in the past few seasons.

How long is there working day? I'm sure there not leaving the house at 6 in morning till 6/7 at night, 6/7 days a week! I have no sympathy for them one bit! Should always do your job well and most of them have not for a very long time if ever!

Agreed if they don't like it, trying to better themselves, bonding with their team mates, putting some effort into it, then perhaps they should try working on a market, selling cloth, pins and thread etc for sewing - I forget the name of that sort of place. Or handing in a transfer request.

I was expecting a response like that which is fair enough. Having played football to a semi decent level in my mid-late teens, the enjoyment was completely sapped out training twice a week and playing competitively twice a week. I got bored of it. I could not have hacked 6 days a week of playing intensive football. A lot struggle with it. For them it's a job like any other job, just better paid than most.

Yeah it's a job. A job which they have to do to keep their families in a life which they have become accustomed to. I get up for work at 4:30 in the morning and work for 12hrs. It gets tiresome and is a struggle. But I do it because it keeps a roof over our heads.

I'm really sorry that I don't find it in my heart to feel any pity for them. But they work at absolute most an 8hr day. I'd wager 2-3 of them are spent sitting, watching dvds of their last poor performance and eating a free lunch or breakfast. And their reward for this is tens of thousands a week and a career which lasts barely 20 years.

Two weeks ago I lost a friend who was just shy of 60. He worked, and by worked I mean grafted, for 11 hrs a day, 6 days a week for over 40yrs. Hundreds of miles away from his family to boot. That's work. Kicking a football about for even 8hrs a day is sport. They need a dose of reality and seemingly very few of them appreciate that.

Archived