BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if he fails, would anyone want to go back to where we came from? Would anyone (sorry for mentioning Rhodes again) re-sign him now and go back to where we were? I wouldn't, not for a minute.

Well Den, we may be about to find out! Your post can now be seen as the absolute ultimate in irony!

I don't see too many welcoming Rhodes back though, the loss of cash for rebuilding seems to have the numbers!

Before, I think.

If thats the case Lamberts statement is obviously to counter that things will not return to 'Normal', if he returns.

In which case its a smart move. Its an encouragement to make the deal work, or that he might not be first pick if he returns.

• Backroom

If thats the case Lamberts statement is obviously to counter that things will not return to 'Normal', if he returns.

In which case its a smart move. Its an encouragement to make the deal work, or that he might not be first pick if he returns.

Could he not have just told him that, as opposed to making it public? Going public just alerts clubs to the fact we want rid which, as I've mentioned before, rarely increases the sale value of the player.

Could he not have just told him that, as opposed to making it public? Going public just alerts clubs to the fact we want rid which, as I've mentioned before, rarely increases the sale value of the player.

We agreed a fee with Boro, the world already knows he's for sale. Admittedly there is a fine line to be Trod here, but the statement wasn't as strong as it could have been.

If it stays at that there won't be too much damage and the rest can left for the training ground.

But if he does come back, JR has a point to prove.

We agreed a fee with Boro, the world already knows he's for sale. Admittedly there is a fine line to be Trod here, but the statement wasn't as strong as it could have been.

If it stays at that there won't be too much damage and the rest can left for the training ground.

But if he does come back, JR has a point to prove.

Yes but surely you agree we"d only be going through all this next transfer window?

Best to get it over with.

Lambert's gone way down in my estimation over the last couple of days, I've never known a manager be so unprofessional.

I couldn't believe his comments after the Oxford game that we should have sold Rhodes two years ago. I thought at the time, "what is he doing" but at that point still expected the move to go through so didn't think it'd be a major problem put the comments down to a lack of class. Firstly you should afford a bit more respect to someone who has served the club so well. Secondly and more importantly he should be experienced enough to know that there's a hundred and one reasons why a deal can break down. By making it so public he rates Rhodes ability so poorly he's making it impossible to realise anything like the best possible price for him if that move broke down.

Maybe you could have forgiven him those comments in the heat of battle shortly after a good victory but after a night's sleep his comments on the Club website were an absolute disgrace and came over as cheap jibes purely designed to alienate the fan Base against Rhodes. Once again he's making it more difficult for the two to work together and for us to get best use out of our star asset and is decimating his value by publicly revealing how desperate he is to get the sale funds in to rebuild. Someone with a bit of class like Dalglish would have said something like, "Jordan fancied the move to Borough but unfortunately for him the deal fell through so obviously we're absolutely delighted to have a player of his calibre back with us."

Two points out of 18. Time to start walking the walk not just talking the talk fella.

Lambert's gone way down in my estimation over the last couple of days, I've never known a manager be so unprofessional.

I couldn't believe his comments after the Oxford game that we should have sold Rhodes two years ago. I thought at the time, "what is he doing" but at that point still expected the move to go through so didn't think it'd be a major problem put the comments down to a lack of class. Firstly you should afford a bit more respect to someone who has served the club so well. Secondly and more importantly he should be experienced enough to know that there's a hundred and one reasons why a deal can break down. By making it so public he rates Rhodes ability so poorly he's making it impossible to realise anything like the best possible price for him if that move broke down.

I disagree strongly with this Rev. Lambert clearly stated that Jordan has been fantastic for the club but that a different approach has been needed for a couple of years to make the collective stronger, rather than chucking all your eggs into one basket. There was nothing personal in what he said at all, he made no comment about Rhodes' ability or lack of (unless I'm missing that one) although you make a fair point about making it obvious to other potential buying clubs that we need the money! They probably already knew that.

An absolute disgrace? Really?

I for one am happy that Lambert is ballsy enough to see Rhodes out. I personally appreciate both Bowyer and Rhodes for keeping us where we are. But, just like we moved on with Bowyer, we have to move on with Rhodes as well. Although I am not yet entirely convinced that Lambert is significantly better than Bowyer. But based on the players he has signed, its understandable what he is trying to do. February will be the true test of lambert since he has had the chance to bring in 5 of his own players. Thats almost half the team. I for one would only want lambert out of we are in and around the relegation zone during or at the end of the season. With the latest development, keeping Rhodes makes no sense at all and we do need the money. For me, obviously Boro knew what salary Rhodes was on at rovers since they had agreed to the deal in principle. Also both the clubs agreed on the total fee, 9 mil which means Boro knew what they were buying. Rhodes would also have agreed to talk to them if he new his salary was being matched or bettered as he was not short on any playing time at rovers. The only thing that stinks is the contract addons like additional salary on getting promoted, goals scored, appearances, etc. It could be Rhodes getting over ambitious or his agent bottling up. Its unlikely that Boro had cold feet because they know what they are buying and what they are buying him for. The only question to them would be how much they are willing to pay for him. They are getting him for 9 mil which is already lower compared to his 12 mil value a year ago. Tactically Rhodes needs balls at his feet in and around the box which means he is most useful when you have a Xavi or Fabregas making those intricate through ball passes to him.

Tin hat on. :)

A lot of supporters are being quick to be 'outraged' by Lambert.

I think he's fustrated by an unusual development. He's been taking unfair critism for the performances of someone else's team, and he's just seen a means of speeding up the rebuild scuppered.

Cut the man some slack FFS.

I think he's fustrated by an unusual development. He's been taking unfair critism for the performances of someone else's team, and he's just seen a means of speeding up the rebuild scuppered.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Lambert being pilloried for being honest? Jesus wept honesty is the one thing most people have been crying out for. For me, once again he is bang on the money. Rhodes and his advisors have painted themselves into a corner through sheer greed. The reality hit home to Gibson and he must be worried that not going up meant a player on PL wages in the Championship. Only Rovers are stupid enough to do that.

I've reached my quota of positive votes for the day; absolutely

• Moderation Lead

I find it incredible that Lambert's comments are being forensically analysed and scrutinised.

The reason this deal didn't go through is Rhodes' agent fault only, and to an extent 'Boro and Steve Gibson for not doing their homework. They must have known about how much money was on for goodness sake, they've been not so discreetly courting him for about a year and a half and his uncle is on the coaching staff! I find it hard to believe that they won't have had some inside information about Rhodes' wages!

I find it incredible that Lambert's comments are being forensically analysed and scrutinised.

The reason this deal didn't go through is Rhodes' agent fault only, and to an extent 'Boro and Steve Gibson for not doing their homework. They must have known about how much money was on for goodness sake, they've been not so discreetly courting him for about a year and a half and his uncle is on the coaching staff! I find it hard to believe that they won't have had some inside information about Rhodes' wages!

I find it hard to believe that anyone wasn't appalled by Lambert's comments.

Not saying this is the reason the deal collapsed but if I was Gibson and Id heard Lambert's comments post match Saturday, I'd have thought "Hold on, he doesn't rate him" and you could hardly t blame him if the original deal had been whipped off the table and replaced by one 2 or 3m less. Then stone me if he doesn't go and confirm it on the Clubs website the following day after the deal has apparently collapsed.

All that said I reckon it is Boro who are primarily at fault, as I cant believe both parties didn't know exactly what the deal entailed before both sides went to the trouble of going through a medical. I think it's more likely they tried to save a few quid, were rebuffed and quickly indulged in some face saving PR.

I find it hard to believe that anyone wasn't appalled by Lambert's comments.

Not saying this is the reason the deal collapsed but if I was Gibson and Id heard Lambert's comments post match Saturday, I'd have thought "Hold on, he doesn't rate him" and you could hardly t blame him if the original deal had been whipped off the table and replaced by one 2 or 3m less. Then stone me if he doesn't go and confirm it on the Clubs website the following day after the deal has apparently collapsed.

All that said I reckon it is Boro who are primarily at fault, as I cant believe both parties didn't know exactly what the deal entailed before both sides went to the trouble of going through a medical. I think it's more likely they tried to save a few quid, were rebuffed and quickly indulged in some face saving PR.

I'm not appalled. On the contrary I'm delighted that at long last we have a manager who tells it exactly like it is.

You'll be blaming the people on here who comment on Rhodes abilities next.

The is some naivety about the managers comments but I commend his honesty, it's much more refreshing to hear because it makes me feel more confident that he really wants to make a success of this, whereas Bowyer as nice a guy as he was, was more than happy to plod along.

These days transfers are breaking down a lot more often than ever because of daft wage and bonus demands, it's a real shame things have gone this way.

Lambert should have waited until the deal had been signed before making any comments. Guilty of naivety certainly.

Why ? He's made it clear he wants the Rhodes money to strengthen the team. My take on his comments is that he's putting pressure on Rhodes and his agents to ensure that the deal gets done. Nothing wrong with that.

Why ? He's made it clear he wants the Rhodes money to strengthen the team. My take on his comments is that he's putting pressure on Rhodes and his agents to ensure that the deal gets done. Nothing wrong with that.

Well, he's made himself look a bit daft now. There was alot of presumption in what he said and with Rhodes returning his comments have made for a very difficult situation. I appreciate the honesty bit but there are times when it's better to say nothing.

• Backroom

Is it really that bad?

Players don't need wrapping in Cotton wool, for the majority of Lamberts reign Rhodes has been a disgrace in my opinion, walking around not putting a shift in with shoulders slumped, so what if his feelings are a bit hurt now, time for him to buckle down as he says.

He can't expect to walk back into the team and knows he has to work to do that now.

Archived