BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the difference between Appleton and PL? Both went/are on a non winning running of 8/9 games? Both feature Cup success in between, both play/ed turgid football, both look like taking the club down?

One was contracted to Kentaro?

What's the difference between Appleton and PL? Both went/are on a non winning running of 8/9 games? Both feature Cup success in between, both play/ed turgid football, both look like taking the club down?

One has a track record of promotion. Nuff said.

I think there's a blatantly obvious difference and hopefully Venkys will look at it that way. It helps also that there's no "power struggle" going on at the club (can't really get lower than clowns like Shaw/Agnew and Singh fighting over power it was hardly Bates v Harding) and with FUP the owners might be more reluctant to pay any compensation so early. The only reason I'm even discussing it at this stage is because you never really know what Venkys will do.

Unrelated but if something happened to "madame" then Balaji would probably be the main man wouldn't he?.

I would suggest the wage bill at the time and the players available to Appleton.

I'm hoping that PL has come in to do a "long term turnaround" - if he was genuinely brought promising promotion this season then I couldn't argue with him being binned right now :(

What a huge difference to GB; had we gone 1-0 up we'd have sat on it... The difference is significant...

Spot on, and we'd have been hanging on.

Well done tonight Paul Lambert, now you need to prove it was no fluke.

Hoping you can still cut him some slack. Fully integrating so many new players won't happen next week. Step by step.

I'm very much in the Lambert needs time camp. He doesn't really have any to spare but he needs to be able to put his stamp on things.

I guess I was just tempering my own reaction because it's very easy to get carried away after a win and performance like tonight. Best I've seen for a long time. Not a single weak link. And I don't think that Fulham were a pushover we just didn't let them settle.

We didn't get anything like that performance against Hull - not even close - but maybe Hanley and Graham do make that much difference. Although we didn't miss Akpan today, as Evans had one of his best games in a Rovers shirt and Lenihan was brave and hardworking.

I'm very much in the Lambert needs time camp. He doesn't really have any to spare but he needs to be able to put his stamp on things.

I guess I was just tempering my own reaction because it's very easy to get carried away after a win and performance like tonight. Best I've seen for a long time. Not a single weak link. And I don't think that Fulham were a pushover we just didn't let them settle.

We didn't get anything like that performance against Hull - not even close - but maybe Hanley and Graham do make that much difference. Although we didn't miss Akpan today, as Evans had one of his best games in a Rovers shirt and Lenihan was brave and hardworking.

I was a lot happier knowing Hanley was playing. He's growing into the role and really impressed me this season.

For all the concern, the signs of recovery are visible. Lambert has said he still wants one more player that can manipulate the ball. I've kept saying believe and I'm trusting this guy fully. The recent run had us all scratching our heads but the dye is cast and there's no going back.

Potentially hung himself to dry with his team selection tonight - what do we know, rarely see a manager get it so right

For some managers it is about coming out of the comfort zone, being brave and coming up with an element of surprise. Lambert should be applauded tonight for his selection and tactics.

I actually think he does, and tonight's result has bought a fair bit of time too. Highly unlikely we'll go down or even be involved in a relegation scrap now thankfully.

Well we've obviously got a guy in change who's not afraid to make difficult decisions. I've got faith in him and our management team. As I've said before when Bowyer went most of us would have delighted with any one of the three guys we've brought in as manager We've had four years of declining standards on and off the pitch, yet some people want the situation remedied in less than four months. The last guy got three years. I just don't get it.

When I read about people saying Lambert is living on borrowed time, so many more matches to save his job etc I can't believe it. And I'm talking about people who've been going to Rovers as long as I have. They should know better. If we did fire the latest team who is there willing to come here with better qualifications ? Yeah I know, Mourinho isn't fixed up yet, if we move quickly we could have him in for the West Ham game.

It seemed strange last night struggling to choose a man of the match because so many players performed well. Usually you struggle because nobody performs.

To coin the overused Bowyer phrase, "the standards we've set ourselves" - from now on, that last night should now be the bare minimum. Hassling, effort and bravery - that is ALL I expect to see as a supporter.

For a cold, blustery, drizzle in your face Tuesday at Ewood - that was one of the most enjoyable yet!

Going forwards from here, I'd like to see a bit more movement off the ball and players dribbling into the box, rather than panicking at the sight of the line. It is rare that we carry the ball into the box and the few occasions we have, we have been awarded penalties (Marshall last night, Akpan one home game and one other recently). We have the players to do it, just not the confidence.

The other thing, Steele' s kicking - he's becoming as bad as Mimms was.

Disagree with that. The urgency for a quick return to the PL under Kean/Berg/Appleton/Bowyer has gone now. That ship has sailed and the parachute payment money with it. We are now a bog standard Championship club and our expectations should be adjusted accordingly. We've just hired a new manager which is reason alone to give him time, and this season is practically a dead rubber in that we're not going to get into the play-offs or get relegated. I'm sure some people would disagree with the latter but I think that's a bit of hysterics and liking the drama, managers of Lambert's track record just don't relegate clubs at this level.

So I'd say he's got plenty of time in every logical sense. Whether that filters through the modern football fan's pie-in-the-sky demands of instant success virtually no matter the circumstances is another prospect.

as bad as john butchers as well...we reckoned he must have either a septic toe or ingrowing toenails.

it seems if its a dead ball or passed back slowly he has time to think and panics whereas a couple of balls got played back at speed and without time to think it went straight.

Disagree with that. The urgency for a quick return to the PL under Kean/Berg/Appleton/Bowyer has gone now. That ship has sailed and the parachute payment money with it. We are now a bog standard Championship club and our expectations should be adjusted accordingly. We've just hired a new manager which is reason alone to give him time, and this season is practically a dead rubber in that we're not going to get into the play-offs or get relegated. I'm sure some people would disagree with the latter but I think that's a bit of hysterics and liking the drama, managers of Lambert's track record just don't relegate clubs at this level.

So I'd say he's got plenty of time in every logical sense. Whether that filters through the modern football fan's pie-in-the-sky demands of instant success virtually no matter the circumstances is another prospect.

that happened on Vday day 1.

I'm talking about relegation, NOT promotion!

League One would change the landscape significantly in my view.

It seemed strange last night struggling to choose a man of the match because so many players performed well. Usually you struggle because nobody performs.

To coin the overused Bowyer phrase, "the standards we've set ourselves" - from now on, that last night should now be the bare minimum. Hassling, effort and bravery - that is ALL I expect to see as a supporter.

For a cold, blustery, drizzle in your face Tuesday at Ewood - that was one of the most enjoyable yet!

Going forwards from here, I'd like to see a bit more movement off the ball and players dribbling into the box, rather than panicking at the sight of the line. It is rare that we carry the ball into the box and the few occasions we have, we have been awarded penalties (Marshall last night, Akpan one home game and one other recently). We have the players to do it, just not the confidence.

I worry about Steele under this new GK coach. When he first came his kicking was terrible and he seemed like he'd no strength in his legs but I thought he really improved on that as time went on. Never perfect but not the liability he was at first but this season recently his kicking has gone backwards and he's seemed shaky at times. Still a quick to get down type of guy but not commanding enough.

He was brought in on recommendation of the previous GK coach and after watching them work in the warm ups etc they were very thorough. Just doesn't seem that way with this new guy.

I'm talking about relegation, NOT promotion!

League One would change the landscape significantly in my view.

We're between 25-1 and 50-1 with various bookmakers to get relegated. It's never gonna happen, most suggestions of it among our support strike me as a combination of the type of people who thought the world was gonna end because the Mayan calendar predicted it, and the Lambert-haters who are just trying to incite a bit of panic and disgruntlement.

We're between 25-1 and 50-1 with various bookmakers to get relegated. It's never gonna happen, most suggestions of it among our support strike me as a combination of the type of people who thought the world was gonna end because the Mayan calendar predicted it, and the Lambert-haters who are just trying to incite a bit of panic and disgruntlement.

There's a third group as well - those that think Rhodes should be here and will jump on any failure to remind us about it!

Things are definitely getting better. Last four games reads W2 D1 L1, scored 7 conceded 3. Five different goalscorers in that period too, hopefully that'll keep happening.

Archived