BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

Four in four ex canaries. Are we just.going to sign the whole ex Norwich team? Should someone let Lambert know there are other players

If they turn out to be good signings I really don't care who they used to play for.

Niggling over this type of stuff is a tad silly. There's a million and one footballers out there and it's far more sensible for him to sign those he knows, than those he doesn't have a scooby do about.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall has been impressing me lately. He has developed a really narky and tenacious attitude. He is looking more like a winner every time he steps on the pitch.

The lad needs to stay at RB. Beyond terrible at RW this season but seems to step up to the plate at full back. Certainly an upgrade on Henley.

At the end of the day ,Lambert has seen a problem and bringing in people who he knows he can trust. That hopefully will rub off on the attidude of the dollopers and lazy gets in there now. Its all about the summer. Thats not me softening in any shape or form. The venkys are still scum.

The lad needs to stay at RB. Beyond terrible at RW this season but seems to step up to the plate at full back. Certainly an upgrade on Henley.

Totally agree...and I apologise to Bowyer who played him there (although the timing of playing him at RB sucked as he was by far our most creative on the wing).

A bit underwhelmed with the signings so far BUT only because Lambert said he would be bringing in first team players. Of the four, only Graham can claim to be that. The others smack of squad players.

That said, the 3 ex Norwich lads have all commented on how Lambert demands standards and fitness. Hopefully this will help raise the bar and they will be certainly no worse than the existing players.

Hoping that over summer we can add 5 to 6 additions (at least one cm, 2 wingers , another forward, possibly a left back and a keeper!). Hopefully,all of whom will be an improvement on what we have now.

Looking forward to next year now, only a cheeky win at 'turf left to look forward to this season.

I think Marshalls best position is at right back, he's not quick enough to be an out and out winger in this league. He constantly has to check inside. When attacking from deep he is able to beat a man. He uses the ball well at RB and for an attavker he defends well. With coaching he could improve his defensive work a great deal and become a really good player. I thought at Leeds he was superb, looked much better than Byram.

Four in four ex canaries. Are we just.going to sign the whole ex Norwich team? Should someone let Lambert know there are other players

Most managers will do that. If you're a new manager trying to introduce a new approach to training etc and are struggling to get the current dressing room on board, the best thing you can do is bring in players you've already won over in past jobs and who are familiar with and supportive of your methods. Plus there's the benefit of having contacts with your former club so being able to get deals through easier, knowing how good/reliable the player is and how much trouble he causes etc.

Souness brought in Friedel, Tugay, Unsal and Sukur who he managed at Galatasaray, and we constantly had transfer dealings with Rangers while he was here. Hughes signed Savage, Bellamy and Brown who were all involved with Wales when he managed them. Big Sam was unusual in that he only signed Diouf of his former players, but then I'd say he had more contacts in the game than most in assembling his Bolton galacticos, so it would have been easier for him to get the likes of Givet, Salgado and almost Lewandowski (I'm never gonna get over that one).

I'm keeping an open mind about the signings, mainly because there's only really Hanley who has been half-decent this season, so anyone coming in is probably an improvement to what we've got.

One big area of weakness is the mental strength, hopefully Lambo know that these signings are winners. Have all of our new signings been promoted from this league (I think so)?

I do remember people saying questioning Souness signing Friedel and him saying that Tugay would be a starter in the newly promoted team.

Still would like a couple more according to that link. Hopefully another full back to replace Olsson and the illusive box to box but creative midfield type we've needed!

Saying that, if we are persisting with Spurr, the long throw and hitting the front men with long balls - do we need another cm?

I think Evans and Akpan can do a decent job in a 5 with a more creative player but in a four playing it on the deck - we'd need better.

Maybe Graham is a better 1 up top for the 5 man midfield that could include Lawrence behind him. I hate to say it but it seems like we are "advertising" rhodes again - but that could be paranoia. I don't want him to leave.

If he is going, the deal needs to be done quickly by the club because we can't reinvest it 15 minutes prior to the transfer window closing.

Still would like a couple more according to that link. Hopefully another full back to replace Olsson and the illusive box to box but creative midfield type we've needed!

Saying that, if we are persisting with Spurr, the long throw and hitting the front men with long balls - do we need another cm?

I think Evans and Akpan can do a decent job in a 5 with a more creative player but in a four playing it on the deck - we'd need better.

Maybe Graham is a better 1 up top for the 5 man midfield that could include Lawrence behind him. I hate to say it but it seems like we are "advertising" rhodes again - but that could be paranoia. I don't want him to leave.

If he is going, the deal needs to be done quickly by the club because we can't reinvest it 15 minutes prior to the transfer window closing.

Summer would be the time to sell Rhodes, not now.

Summer would be the time to sell Rhodes, not now.

Depends - desperate clubs might pay desperate prices in january...

If PL is confident that the team can do enough to comfortably stay up without Rhodes then a bid of even 8m + addons (say 2m for staying in prem or promotion to prem + 2m when he hits 10 goals) would be difficult to turn down if that 8m can be reinvested in the team/squad.

But i get where you are coming from - if we don't have Rhodes then just who is going to step and actually score??

Depends - desperate clubs might pay desperate prices in january...

If PL is confident that the team can do enough to comfortably stay up without Rhodes then a bid of even 8m + addons (say 2m for staying in prem or promotion to prem + 2m when he hits 10 goals) would be difficult to turn down if that 8m can be reinvested in the team/squad.

But i get where you are coming from - if we don't have Rhodes then just who is going to step and actually score??

I doubt we could get a quality replacement this month, but after that we need to change. Having a 20 goal striker worth multi millions while we sign loans and freebies hasn't worked. All the teams above us don't have Rhodes, but they do have teams that perform collectively well more often than we do. Rhodes hasn't and won't get us up. Team performances will.

The alternative to selling and reinvesting, is to continue to struggle until he walks away for free.

Archived