SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

You know and I know abbey some can't wait to blame him to prove a point over Bowyer, it's sad really, thought with blueboys ban that sort of pettiness would end but you can sense it coming again. The same people that blamed the players under bowyer now blame the manager - and vice versa to be fair.

We see it all the time on here with the manager debate and the Rhodes one; the most important thing seems to be proving a point.

You know and I know abbey some can't wait to blame him to prove a point over Bowyer, it's sad really, thought with blueboys ban that sort of pettiness would end but you can sense it coming again. The same people that blamed the players under bowyer now blame the manager - and vice versa to be fair.

We see it all the time on here with the manager debate and the Rhodes one; the most important thing seems to be proving a point.

It's the same for both sides Tom. If the Bowyer fans are supposed to let it go then so should the posters who continue to dig out people for supporting him. For instance I've seen jbizzle making points which are well constructed and considered. But people disregard them because he supported Bowyer. What's he supposed to do? Does his opinion not count because he was a bowyer man? It's ridiculous. People need to stop point scoring. I'm always amazed that people feel the need to blow their own trumpet.

The big worry for me now is that it appears from the Lamberts Interview and some of the comments on here (Olsson refusing to get off the coach in particular), that we have a huge rift between the players and the manager. If the players have downed tools, then what chance have we got? Expect relegation, as players not trying 100% are not going to win enough to keep us up.

The point is in 10 games we've carried on with these inconsistent results that won't put us in the prem. 3 wins, 3 draws, 4 defeats. Rather than go on about GBs results just take it as base fact that both aren't good enough for the set aim.

What he says is no more relevant than what we say- it's an overall improvement that we need. Results will improve the atmosphere also and coincidentally the mood on here.

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to be calling for the managers head at this point, and ofcourse we need to look longer term. Still have faith that PL can turn it but that's becoming more blind faith by every poor rudderless display or ex rushden and diamonds veteran signing (more bargain bucket signings)

We are two weeks into the window and when you look at the squads at the top, you can see we need to invest but it's not looking like it's going to happen this window. I'd like to think that the plan is get away from FFP this season then spend a bit over the summer - it's just a slight worry at the minute if we will make it to May!

Something's got to change with or without these players!

Hang on. You aren't comparing apples with apples.

Bowyer had three years to put together a team of his own men. He did exactly that and we now have his team, minus Gestede and Cairney - two of our better players (and ignoring his overlooking of one of the divisions best potential players in favour of playing Jason Lowe).

Were you expecting this to be turned around overnight?

But let's say that you get your way and hound Lambert out (okay, slight leading the witness), who are you expecting would replace him? Someone better or someone worse? And how long should they be given to bring in their own players?

Bowyer stopped the rot and plateaud. If Lambert has been tasked with promotion then he needs to shake things up because it wasn't happening otherwise. We knew that we were going to find out the men from the boys. What is surprising is just how few men there actually are in this squad. I guess that's what happens when you remove all of the experienced professionals from a squad and bring in young lads who won't question your lack of credentials.

I would rather have Paul Lambert here next season than most of these players.

Agree completely - even in League One.

Having heard that interview I am more than happy to trust PL to take us forward.

He knows exactly what is wrong with this club and players. He needs backing transfer wise and by fans. 3yrs with a decent transfer kitty and he will take us up.

Having heard that interview I am more than happy to trust PL to take us forward.

He knows exactly what is wrong with this club and players. He needs backing transfer wise and by fans. 3yrs with a decent transfer kitty and he will take us up.

From League 1 perhaps

Maybe it's just me but this interview just came across as passing the buck to the players. I've never been consumed by interviews, but personally thought that modern day millionaire footballers may respond badly to this kind of thing.

Equally it's quite motivating for the fans to hear but I can't get "the buck stops with the manager" out of my head since it was shouted at me on here a million times in the past 2 years.

End of the day if they ain't playing, it's pls fault. No matter what they say.

It might have been shouted at you a million times (100 lines for you by the way by tomorrow "Do not exaggerate") but you never accepted it. Now Bowyers gone, suddenly you do.

Because he's a lot more experience! Also add to that the load of quality coaching staff they brought with.

Basically PL has been hired to get us out this league so it's fair to be more expectant of him when GB was hired because there was literally no one left in the club!

No reason to keep him for nearly 3 years though with those results but you didn't complain.

One can only suggest that if Duffy had been playing the defeat would have been by a bigger margin Tom.

Mixed opinion on Duffy personally but I'd say if he was playing there wouldn't have been the cock up that led to their goal.

Mixed opinion on Duffy personally but I'd say if he was playing there wouldn't have been the cock up that led to their goal.

There's a cock up every week with Duffy.

Brighton's goal seemed to stem from Evans or whoever the midfielder was when the ball skewed off their head. If they'd have cleared it forward to a Rovers player would there have been a problem.

Brighton's goal seemed to stem from Evans or whoever the midfielder was when the ball skewed off their head. If they'd have cleared it forward to a Rovers player would there have been a problem.

It was Lenihen but a bit of ring rust from Killa contributed as well I think. Not seen it back only going off memory but no coincidence that the two guys thrown in from the bench had a hand in their goal. No strength in depth whatsoever although I thought both those guys did ok overall.

It's abundantly clear we have players at the club that don't thrive under pressure. That was instilled by the previous incumbent who had made his trade in academy football where individual performances take precedent over winning football matches. It was almost as if the first-team had become an extension of the youth side, with the club priding itself on becoming a stepping stone for players to reach the next level while on the pitch we made a desultory attempt at promotion. Bowyer never lost the dressing room, because he was a 'nice guy' who allowed the players to play within their comfort zones. Whenever he needed a result, however, they always managed to dig one out for him, and no sooner would we put a run of results together and get within spitting distance of the playoffs, would we implode right on cue. You can see this pattern repeating itself after Lambert's initial honeymoon period. The moment we won a few games and started looking up the table, instead of down, the wheels came off spectacularly. The manager has come in and tried to change the ethos of the club overnight, and the simple truth is that these players aren't capable of playing to the standards expected of them. I don't know about player mutinies or anything like that. You would think if the players were trying to force the manager out we would've suffered a heavy capitulation instead of narrow defeats. It's my opinion that they're just not up to it and we need a massive overhaul to meet the tactical and cultural demands that Lambert envisions for the club.

Evans didnt ever play in the game!!!

Try to read the team news before you start blaming players.

Duffy and Hanley partnership has been IMO our biggest strength by far

• Backroom
It's abundantly clear we have players at the club that don't thrive under pressure. That was instilled by the previous incumbent who had made his trade in academy football where individual performances take precedent over winning football matches. It was almost as if the first-team had become an extension of the youth side, with the club priding itself on becoming a stepping stone for players to reach the next level while on the pitch we made a desultory attempt at promotion. Bowyer never lost the dressing room, because he was a 'nice guy' who allowed the players to play within their comfort zones. Whenever he needed a result, however, they always managed to dig one out for him, and no sooner would we put a run of results together and get within spitting distance of the playoffs, would we implode right on cue. You can see this pattern repeating itself after Lambert's initial honeymoon period. The moment we won a few games and started looking up the table, instead of down, the wheels came off spectacularly. The manager has come in and tried to change the ethos of the club overnight, and the simple truth is that these players aren't capable of playing to the standards expected of them. I don't know about player mutinies or anything like that. You would think if the players were trying to force the manager out we would've suffered a heavy capitulation instead of narrow defeats. It's my opinion that they're just not up to it and we need a massive overhaul to meet the tactical and cultural demands that Lambert envisions for the club.

I think this is pretty much spot on. I'd say there are a few who are sulking, but most of them simply aren't up to the challenge. On Lambert's RR interview yesterday he agreed when it was suggested the players were "reverting to type" after an initial upturn, and as you say, it's exactly what we've become used to over the past few seasons. The only question is whether the players are willing to dig out a result for Lambert in the same way they were Bowyer. Recent performances would suggest not.

He isn't wringing that extra 10% out of them we hoped would help us up the league. Most of them are playing at 75% to 85% which was the norm previously and deemed acceptable.

Difference now is they are getting stick for it from the sidelines instead of having their backsides covered.

No reason to keep him for nearly 3 years though with those results but you didn't complain.

Since you keep wanting me to talk about him - i'll correct you. I complained a lot and pointed out many deficiencies, I just always stayed on the fence in terms of sacking because I didn't think it would fix all the problems at bay - if you remember I was hoping we'd get some sort of JW style appointment to mediate with fans and breath some confidence into the long term direction of the club. I never could predict that they'd hire a proper manager so I was as chuffed as anyone.

If you want me to reply again, stick to football and not point scoring.

Hang on. You aren't comparing apples with apples.

Bowyer had three years to put together a team of his own men. He did exactly that and we now have his team, minus Gestede and Cairney - two of our better players (and ignoring his overlooking of one of the divisions best potential players in favour of playing Jason Lowe).

Were you expecting this to be turned around overnight?

But let's say that you get your way and hound Lambert out (okay, slight leading the witness), who are you expecting would replace him? Someone better or someone worse? And how long should they be given to bring in their own players?

Bowyer stopped the rot and plateaud. If Lambert has been tasked with promotion then he needs to shake things up because it wasn't happening otherwise. We knew that we were going to find out the men from the boys. What is surprising is just how few men there actually are in this squad. I guess that's what happens when you remove all of the experienced professionals from a squad and bring in young lads who won't question your lack of credentials.

Agree completely - even in League One.

I never expected it overnight, but I never expected us to get worse over night either. Rotherham, Preston and Bristol City are the only wins we've managed so far and if that statistic stays the same for another couple of months we may even get a few posters league 1 wish.

I'm not hounding anyone out. Oh the Irony...

Time should be given but we are allowed (as it's been pointed out A MILLION TIMES on here) to give our opinions at any point of his tenure. Do you think I want us to go back on the managerial merry go round? Do you think I want Lambert to turn out as Appleton Mk2?

End of the day, all I want is BRFC to win. If they cant do that, I want them to try to win. If they aren't even showing like they want to win, I'm going to be extremely @#/? off. It's far to early to even suggest that PL is not the man for the job, but if noting that we've failed to win in 6 is "point scoring" then I'm starting to wonder what constitutes discussion on these pages these days.

Since you keep wanting me to talk about him - i'll correct you. I complained a lot and pointed out many deficiencies, I just always stayed on the fence in terms of sacking because I didn't think it would fix all the problems at bay - if you remember I was hoping we'd get some sort of JW style appointment to mediate with fans and breath some confidence into the long term direction of the club. I never could predict that they'd hire a proper manager so I was as chuffed as anyone.

If you want me to reply again, stick to football and not point scoring.

I never expected it overnight, but I never expected us to get worse over night either. Rotherham, Preston and Bristol City are the only wins we've managed so far and if that statistic stays the same for another couple of months we may even get a few posters league 1 wish.

I'm not hounding anyone out. Oh the Irony...

Time should be given but we are allowed (as it's been pointed out A MILLION TIMES on here) to give our opinions at any point of his tenure. Do you think I want us to go back on the managerial merry go round? Do you think I want Lambert to turn out as Appleton Mk2?

End of the day, all I want is BRFC to win. If they cant do that, I want them to try to win. If they aren't even showing like they want to win, I'm going to be extremely @#/? off. It's far to early to even suggest that PL is not the man for the job, but if noting that we've failed to win in 6 is "point scoring" then I'm starting to wonder what constitutes discussion on these pages these days.

I do keep seeing the ghost of Appleton... but PL could just as easily turn out to be Souness mk 2.

Yes, Ashley Ward, Christian Dailly and co are all present and correct again, pulling on the famous shirt!

Evans wasn't even playing. He was on the bench and an unused sub. Something you would know if you had been there. If you aren't willing to attend the matches than you would be wise to refrain from commenting so authoritatively on them.

tbh as the ball was ballooning back toward the centre halves I held my breath simply because Duffy was not there to head it clear. Turns out I was right to do so.

Must say I loved the PL interview, though it really makes me worried about the type of characters we have in the dressing room.

Kidd's rubber dinghy speech would have been too kind on some of these lot.

I have my criticisms about the tactics but I can't get that niggly feeling some of this squad are lazy, disinterested and do the bare minimum.

'Not fit to wear the shirt' comes to mind for far too many. More object performances and I hope they bloody well get told that we won't accept such lacking displays.

Archived