BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

One thing I like about Lambert is his honesty in interviews. It's not a naive honestly like Kidd, he is very assured and certain but he will call it as he sees it, even if it means upsetting folk. Whilst Bowyer was dignified he often infuriated with his comments and didn't seem to be straight about what we'd seen, instead being defensive. Perhaps our players are used to being blameless and not having to take responsibility. Lambert's comments are very much about players needing to take responsibility and accept the pressure that comes with playing for a club with PL standard facilities and expectations.

He's going to have to pull a couple of rabbits out of hats but more than just bringing in players he needs to clear out some of the current squad who don't have the right mindset. If rumours about Olsson are correct then he needs to be one of the first.

I really don't know how you can make such an assertion, Stuart ,and so confidently distinguish honesty from so called naive honesty. I just don't see any evidence of any plan or method.

I was already thinking Lambert's quote is basically the same message as Kidd's" rubber dinghy men/it's got to come from within" stuff.. No difference to me...

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't know how you can make such an assertion, Stuart ,and so confidently distinguish honesty from so called naive honesty. I just don't see any evidence of any plan or method.

I was already thinking Lambert's quote is basically the same message as Kidd's" rubber dinghy men/it's got to come from within" stuff.. No difference to me...

Can you really have a plan when mosy of the players couldn't care less.

You could point out that other managers have gotten promoted with pretty much a League 1 squad. Lambert is one of them. Difference is there's no hunger in our squad, or fight. Too many thinking they are better than what they are with a humungous bank balance and a nice car in their driveway.

It's not what he says, it's what results we get. Not good enough so far, and regardless of who he brings in - things have to improve.

I'd like to think we wouldn't need to even consider a replacement for some time, however if we carry on this run, it won't be long till we are dragged into the relegation places.

Kidd was out of his depth and virtually apologetic for not being up to the task (of manager). Lambert has the self-confidence and belief that he is up to it but that the players aren't. Only my view Leonard, like all of my posts.

After reading those transcripts I'm even more convinced than ever that we need to give this management team time.

IMO, we need to give Lambert time and patience. you have to allow him time to bring in his own players and build his time.

time to judge is in 12 months time.

I don't understand how some fans already want him sack.

For the first time the current owners have appointed a PROVEN manager and has promotion on his CV. What more do fans want?

This is time to back Lambert and trust his judgement.

This squad isn't good enough for a promotion push and will achieved mid table(11th to 16th) at best. I had hope Lambert could get more out of them but sadly this doesn't look the case.

Kidd was out of his depth and virtually apologetic for not being up to the task (of manager). Lambert has the self-confidence and belief that he is up to it but that the players aren't. Only my view Leonard, like all of my posts.

Haha...Funny that I was just thinking about Kidd and then I read your post. The response of both managers is the same-public condemnation of players' lack of courage etc.

I am uneasy about the impact of such public comments on players that are already lacking in confidence/downing tools or whatever.

The problem is that he does need to keep enough of them onside in order to buy himself the time to keep us up and implement his own methods.

That is a very subtle operation and the manager simply has to take enough players with him or we are down!

I don't think we can truly judge either of the two signings this early and playing with this squad.

Ever been in a workforce when you're the only one giving it all you can? Eventually you give up yourself.

Shows how desperate he is working with this squad that the first two players through the door are those he can trust implicitly.

Haha...Funny that I was just thinking about Kidd and then I read your post. The response of both managers is the same-public condemnation of players' lack of courage etc.

I am uneasy about the impact of such public comments on players that are already lacking in confidence/downing tools or whatever.

The problem is that he does need to keep enough of them onside in order to buy himself the time to keep us up and implement his own methods.

That is a very subtle operation and the manager simply has to take enough players with him or we are down!

I remember Burnley getting dicked at home by somebody like Gillingham. Stan Ternent subbed three at half time. In an interview after the game on " Radio Lancashire " he said - " Some of those players out there today will never play for this club again as long as I am the manager " ! And as far as I know they didn't. It worked for him.

• Backroom

I think there's more to those signings than just what they can achieve out on the pitch.

As do I, but it also shows that the scale of the problem we're facing also goes far beyond what happens during 90 minutes on a Saturday (and sometimes a random weekday).

Obviously there are advantages to hiring an experienced manager, however one negative is that, based on their record, style of play etc at other clubs, fans will already have a view, either good or bad, on them before they even start work.

Full disclosure, I was not a fan of Paul Lambert at Villa, based mainly on the views of friends of mine who supported them, and I was not overjoyed that we appointed him. However, once he was here I obviously want him to succeed, and even got sucked into the immediate euphoria over his arrival so much so that I went to Preston - my first away league game since Hillsborough the season before last.

After witnessing the last few performances, I am beginning to suspect that my initial worries were well founded. Some of the comments from the Villa fans I know about PL were that he sucked the joy out of watching football, he took a solid mid-table team to the brink of relegation and that he seemed to be able to identify what was going wrong, but completely unable to rectify it.

I know that it's too early to judge, and I'm not advocating getting rid, but it's worrying that those comments could well apply to the version of PL that we've seen at Rovers so far.

I'm concerned that he doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of the players we have. Now that could be down to the players not playing for him, but does that not show a lack of good man-management? It could be that the players aren't able to play his style of football, but then he maybe needs to adapt his style to play to the strengths of the players he has, rather than trying to force sqaure pegs into round holes.

Like I say I hope he succeeds, I hope he proves me wrong, but at the moment, for whatever reason, he is not getting the best from these players (I remember being told repeatedly that a good manager could squeeze an extra 10% from players - well that's not happening) and if it doesn't start to happen soon then I think we could be in real danger of going down

• Backroom

I'm well aware of how little it means after the Kean good presser era but that's a brilliant interview after a bad loss.

Refused to blow smoke up anyone and basically spelt out that they are too weak mentally.

Stick with him and let him Weild the axe in summer

I'm well aware of how little it means after the Kean good presser era but that's a brilliant interview after a bad loss.

Refused to blow smoke up anyone and basically spelt out that they are too weak mentally.

Stick with him and let him Weild the axe in summer

Agree entirely Tom. But I do worry that this is where you need owners who firstly have an understanding of the game and secondly are in close enough proximity to have a feel for the goings on. Unfortunately we don't have that. What we do have are owners who have been told 'we can achieve promotion. We're on the right course'. I worry how well they will receive information that says 'the playing staff are weak minded and need an overhaul'. Will they stick with it or write him off as an excuse making fraud?

I'd like to say with conviction that I believe lambert is worth persisting with. But truth be told, I'm yet to reach that point. My gut instinct tells me he is. But he should have done better than he has so far. What I am convinced about is he has brought in Jackson and Bennett less for their talent but more for their allegiance. Someone somewhere is undermining him imo and it's someone who holds sway with the dressing room.

I don't see what they'll gain by trying to get him out if some are. I don't think they are but if so he could be replaced by an even worse whip cracker, think Megson or that ilk. Not the brightest most footballers but they must know they aren't getting uncle Gaz back.

Such a telling interview that. Think he was speaking to a few different audiences.

I'd love to know who he thinks the players hiding are. I can only assume it's Rhodes and Marshall in particular.

I don't see what they'll gain by trying to get him out if some are. I don't think they are but if so he could be replaced by an even worse whip cracker, think Megson or that ilk. Not the brightest most footballers but they must know they aren't getting uncle Gaz back.

Makes you wonder if some of the lads who have been nurtured on bowyers teat for the best part of ten years are the ones kicking up a stink. There must be someone on here close to a player who could gauge the general consensus amongst the squad.

Archived