BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

I was told today that Lambert insists all the Rovers players turn up at Brockhall a minimum of 1 hour before training rather than the 10 minutes or so under GB. There are no more excuses for late starts due to "sorry boss I have lost my boots" malarkey.

They have an additional hour per day training compared to the previous regime and only 1 day off per week.

After training it is compulsory for all the players to have lunch together rather than slope off as before....he is insistent on building togetherness and a team spirit. He wants it done his way and a few off the players are still struggling to accept they have a real boss.

Does the extra hour include the showing ip early. One can not assume they are just sitting around for this hour. It could be for meetings, discussions etc.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's a job. A job which they have to do to keep their families in a life which they have become accustomed to. I get up for work at 4:30 in the morning and work for 12hrs. It gets tiresome and is a struggle. But I do it because it keeps a roof over our heads.

I'm really sorry that I don't find it in my heart to feel any pity for them. But they work at absolute most an 8hr day. I'd wager 2-3 of them are spent sitting, watching dvds of their last poor performance and eating a free lunch or breakfast. And their reward for this is tens of thousands a week and a career which lasts barely 20 years.

Two weeks ago I lost a friend who was just shy of 60. He worked, and by worked I mean grafted, for 11 hrs a day, 6 days a week for over 40yrs. Hundreds of miles away from his family to boot. That's work. Kicking a football about for even 8hrs a day is sport. They need a dose of reality and seemingly very few of them appreciate that.

Eh up Pat. I take your point, and in no way am I going against what you said - it's symbolic of the game though. They should be made to clean boots, look after the ground etc when they are, in old money, apprentices, otherwise it's just too much too soon.

Then again I'm sure after 3+ years, or whatever it was (apologies), chained to a radiator I'm sure Terry Waite just saw it as another day

(Edit - sorry to hear about your mate)

How long is there working day? I'm sure there not leaving the house at 6 in morning till 6/7 at night, 6/7 days a week! I have no sympathy for them one bit! Should always do your job well and most of them have not for a very long time if ever!

Its not like they're working 12 hours selling Haberdashery!

They need to get real

Eh up Pat. I take your point, and in no way am I going against what you said - it's symbolic of the game though. They should be made to clean boots, look after the ground etc when they are, in old money, apprentices, otherwise it's just too much too soon.

Then again I'm sure after 3+ years, or whatever it was (apologies), chained to a radiator I'm sure Terry Waite just saw it as another day

I wouldn't argue with that bob. It's indicative of the modern footballer. They should be made to clean boots and changing rooms. But there will always be a richer club willing to bypass all that just to stockpile the talent. It'll come back to bite the entire game on the arse.

What really irks me is when you hear about the club 'stars' going to visit the sick kids in the local hospital. They trot out how humbling it all is. But that's soon forgotten when it comes to training on a Sunday and they're tripping over their bottom lip.

That all said, I'm speaking from the view point of a man fast approaching 40. Let's face it the people we're talking about are just kids really.

Can't believe some are feeling sorry for the players having to do as they are told ( and paid for) by having to show a little more professionalism and dedication to the club. So what they have to get there an hour earlier, what time do they train anyway ? About 10.30 ffs ! They will still be away by about 1pm. Wouldn't be surprised if he has done this with an eye on curbing some of their night time activities as well, I hope he breath tests and @#/? test them as well the day before a game.

It wasn't long ago that Coco put training back till 11pm after players moaning because a few lived a good drive away. If they don't like the culture shock then boot them through the door. Coasting and being carried shouldn't be an option anymore for some of them and whilst I probably wouldn't call the previous era a holiday camp I have heard Bowyer turned a blind eye to a lot of stuff. Time to end the lax attitude.

No, I do not. I accept he could probably do more, but christ, aimless punts to him with immobile and slow midfielders would make it hard for any striker to thrive!

But, he also doesn't have the movement or pace to peel off a man higher up the pitch so they are limited with what they can send his way. If he's lost his man a little, and a top quality cross comes in he's absolutely great. If he wrangles a couple of yards in the box, he's great. Anywhere else on the pitch he is very bland, doesn't link up with midfield or his strike partner and for games on end is almost pointless. I think that Rhodes' poor form is being exemplified by the poor form of Conway and Marshall (when on the wing), each one, to a man, deserves dropping if we had a squad with depth. None of them are worthy of the free pass that some fans like to give for love and past exploits.

I was expecting a response like that which is fair enough. Having played football to a semi decent level in my mid-late teens, the enjoyment was completely sapped out training twice a week and playing competitively twice a week. I got bored of it. I could not have hacked 6 days a week of playing intensive football. A lot struggle with it. For them it's a job like any other job, just better paid than most.

Have you ever considered why you didn't progress any further in football ? I played to a good level, loved training, loved playing. Couldn't wait for Saturday to come around. If our game was called off I was gutted. Two broken legs brought it all to a halt.

A pal of mine played for Bury reserves when they were in Div 3 at the same time as Rovers. He was due to play one midweek afternoon for the reserves at Molineaux against Wolves reserves in the old Central League. I saw him walking down the street at the same time as he should have been in Wolverhampton. I said " Shouldn't you be playing today ? " .

He said " I missed the bus from Rochdale to Bury and I couldn't be bothered getting a taxi ".

I'd have walked to Wolverhampton to play in a game like that.

(re the hour early)

A very simple way of seeing who is up for it. Sit there sulking for an hour - bye bye.

Spend the hour discussing previous/coming games with teammates even social bonding (table tennis etc) or working a little extra on "that thing the boss/coach/physio wants then hello and welcome to progress...

Bring back Charles Hughes, Stan Cullis, Graham Taylor, Commander Reep and POMO (The Position of Maximum Opportunity)!

On the Lambert training regime, righteous outrage at lush lives of young players in contrast to ‘real’ work in the ‘real’ world is all fine and no doubt this bunch needed some tightening up. But modern managers also have to box clever, especially ones in clubs with precarious positions. It’s easy for a Fergie to play the martinet because he knew players would be desperate to perform at such a big club. And even then you have to be careful not to completely alienate players who sadly possess the power these days (as opposed to when the power dynamic was reversed in the old days.) You can also over-train players (not necessarily saying that is happening here –cf Macini) so that they underperform on match day. You have to box clever –that might even mean massaging egos of people you don’t like. Let’s make sure we stay up. Time for ruthlessness is the summer.

Have you ever considered why you didn't progress any further in football ? .

Fair question. I was signed on with PNE from 12-16 but it sapped it out of me and took the enjoyment away. However in hindsight I accept I wasn't good enough to play professionally, and even if I was I wasn't cut out for it.

I wasted a number of opportunities at semi pro level as I always preferred to go Rovers!

I played decent amateur level and was playing down at pleasington on a Sunday until my team folded last season.

I love football but to the extent of going random away games, having a few beers with mates, doing footy trivia and having a kickabout here and there.

I think the love can be sapped out of it with the intensity and pressure that comes of being a pro. See recent David Bentley interview on BT Sports.

That's just my opinion.

Just a note on Lambert after his comments on Kiota.

I realise the results haven't been brilliant so far - neither have the performances in some games. But I'm loving every interview he does and his CV is exactly what we need in my opinion.

Looking forward to a mid table finish this year then Lambert can do whatever he wants for me in summer. If that means Rhodes goes, or we sign more Norwich players, so be it. Total faith.

Fair question. I was signed on with PNE from 12-16 but it sapped it out of me and took the enjoyment away. However in hindsight I accept I wasn't good enough to play professionally, and even if I was I wasn't cut out for it.

I wasted a number of opportunities at semi pro level as I always preferred to go Rovers!

I played decent amateur level and was playing down at pleasington on a Sunday until my team folded last season.

I love football but to the extent of going random away games, having a few beers with mates, doing footy trivia and having a kickabout here and there.

I think the love can be sapped out of it with the intensity and pressure that comes of being a pro. See recent David Bentley interview on BT Sports.

That's just my opinion.

10 out of 10 for honesty.

I realise the results haven't been brilliant so far - neither have the performances in some games. But I'm loving every interview he does and his CV is exactly what we need in my opinion.

Steve Kean gave a brilliant interview - I'd rather have a manager who didn't speak so well but delivered on the pitch.

On the evidence so far, Lambert is all talk and no trousers. His CV means nothing and he's got it all to prove in my view.

• Backroom

Rovers play the Lambert way

Any evening, any day,

Youll find us all

Doin the Lambert walk!

Evry little Lambert win

With our little Lambert team,

Youll find em all

Doin the Lambeth walk!

Winning comes bloody easy,

Do as darn well pleasey,

Why dont you make your way there?

Go there, stay there,

Once you get down Ewood way

Evry evening, evry day,

Youll find yourself

Doin the Lambert walk!

Steve Kean gave a brilliant interview - I'd rather have a manager who didn't speak so well but delivered on the pitch.

On the evidence so far, Lambert is all talk and no trousers. His CV means nothing and he's got it all to prove in my view.

Got it all to prove?! Yet another severe case of title hangover = detachment from reality. Lambert has been there and done it in style with a club bigger than Rovers. Unless people are gonna start claiming vague ineffectual concepts like history and tradition are worth more than Norwich's far bigger fanbase and far bigger gate receipts.

Venkys had to prove themselves to Lambert when they somehow got him to come here. Lambert has nothing to prove, least of all to the delusional contingent of our fanbase who still act like their living in the 90s/00s. I can guarantee you if Venkys get rid of Lambert, or worse the fans drive him out, the club will be considered as utterly ridiculous as it was for years after the Big Sam travesty.

And the only jokers who then take on the job will be exactly that.

You know, Kean and Bowyer were utterly awful...but even they didn't sell our only player that can score goals, dooming us to concrete hopelessness.

Lambert certainly has ambition. Unfortunately, that ambition is to drive us into League 1.

You know, Kean and Bowyer were utterly awful...but even they didn't sell our only player that can score goals, dooming us to concrete hopelessness.

Lambert certainly has ambition. Unfortunately, that ambition is to drive us into League 1.

Rumour has it that Bowyer was more than happy to sell Rhodes but India vetoed.

If you think Lambert genuinely wants us to be relegated you're bonkers

You lost me at Steve Kean.

Archived