BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bristol City Match Thread - 5Th December 2015

Rovers travel to Bristol City on Saturday (5th December) for what will be Paul Lambert’s third game in charge of the club. Victory against local rivals Preston North End was followed by a hard fought draw against high-flying Sheffield Wednesday and has left fans impressed with Lambert’s start to life at Ewood.

I have been waiting for a friend of mine to respond with a Q&A, however have to date been let down in my efforts so taken the decision to post this thread now so that posters can start debating the match. If this changes and I receive his responses I shall post at a later date. This match preview was also shorter than I'd hoped due to work commitments.

Recent meetings

2nd Feb 2013 / 2-0

Two goals from a red-hot Jordan Rhodes condemned Bristol City to a third defeat of the season at Rovers’ hands by scoring for the sixth league game on the spin.

5th Jan 2013 (FA Cup) / 2-0

Goals from Grant Hanley and the footballing impostor, Danny Murphy, saw off Bristol City and earned Rovers a passage to the 4th round of the FA Cup.

15th Sept 2012 / 5-3

Rovers got the better of Bristol City in an eight goal thriller at Ashton Gate. Goals from Rhodes (x2), Nuno Gomes, Rochina and Dann sent the travelling army of Rovers fans home happy. This was the first meeting between the sides since 1992.

Did you know…

- Following victory against Bristol City in September 2012, Rovers topped the Championship table. Our manager at the time? Steve Kean. Thirteen days later the bald snake ‘quit’ Rovers.

- Jordan Rhodes’ brace in that match were his first goals for the club.

- Rovers’ victory against Bristol City in the FA Cup in January 2013 marked a third successive victory for caretaker boss Gary Bowyer. Gary Bowyer was not then appointed as permanent Rovers Manager until 24th May 2013.

Overall record vs. Bristol City

Played: 38

Won: 13

Drawn: 9

Lost: 16

Form

Rovers are unbeaten in 5 league games and arrive at Ashton Gate in 14th position. Bristol City meanwhile lay in 20th place having lost to Rotherham 3-0 at the weekend. Despite their lowly position in the league, Bristol City have only lost twice in their last six games.

Bristol City last six matches: DLWDDL

Rovers last six matches: LWDDWD

Danger Man

Jonathan Kodjia

The French hitman has scored 8 goals for Bristol City this season – just one less than Rovers’ Jordan Rhodes. With Rovers’ defence prone to being as generous as Kris Kringle, Kodjia will fancy his chances of adding to his 8 goals - that is if he is fit, as according to former LET man and Bristol City fan, Andy Cryer, he may be out.

Rovers’ connections

Ex-Rover Frank Fielding will start between the sticks for Bristol City. During his four years at the club Frank did not make a start for Rovers and was farmed out on loan to Wycombe, Northampton, Rochdale, Leeds and Derby, where he finally sealed a permanent deal in 2011. Following 60 games for The Rams, Fielding signed for Bristol City in 2013 and has to date made over 60 appearances for the club. Coincidentally, Fielding’s form for Bristol City this season saw him keep my mate, Ben Hamer, out of the side who has since returned to parent club Leicester City.

My thoughts ahead of the game

I think it’s fair to say that both teams will have marked this down as a ‘winnable’ match. Rovers are perennial strugglers on the road, although two of our four victories this season did come at Leeds and Preston. Bristol City meanwhile have won just the two matches at home this season, with victories over both Wolves and Nottingham Forest. They’ve also achieved commendable draws at Ashton Gate against Hull and Leeds.

Despite Sheffield Wednesday’s late leveller on Saturday there should be absolutely no reason as to why confidence in the camp should not be sky high, with everybody no doubt still out to impress Lambert and our new look coaching team. It remains to be seen whether the team can play Lambert’s preferred high-tempo game past the 60th minute (give or take) but there has certainly been room for optimism during the two matches under his tenure to date. In my opinion we will not see Lambert’s Rovers until February at the earliest, when hopefully, he’s had chance to bring in some of his own players (embargo depending) and had the time on the training ground to fully implement his ideas and tactics. The signs, as I say though, are extremely encouraging and you get the feeling that while Venky’s are only ever one decision away from causing another catastrophe, the clouds are slowly beginning to clear around Ewood.

My team for Saturday

Steele

Henry Duffy Hanley Olsson

Marshall Guthrie Evans Conway

Lawrence

Rhodes

Prediction

Couple Bristol City’s poor form with an injury depleted squad and you’d be very disappointed if Rovers do not claim the three points at Ashton Gate. I think it will be tight, but will stick my neck out for a 2-1 victory with Jordan to bag a brace. Of course we will however concede the obligatory poorly defended goal. Safe trip to all of those who are making the way down to Ashton Gate and hopefully, the City fans will be crying into their ciderz come 5pm on Saturday.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant preview, really enjoyed it.

I'll be making the short journey from Cardiff, and am confident of a Rovers win. I will predict a first clean sheet for Lambert and a 2-0 victory.

I'll put my neck out even more and predict that Duffy will score a header (mad, I know), and Jordan will get back amongst the goals.

Tough game, looks like another wet Saturday so just hope Duffy Lawrence Conway and Marshall are all on their game and that little lad at the back.

Just hope Mercerman is banned from making a score prediction...only joking !

Games like this are where I hope to see Lambert start to have an effect. Under Bowyer I think we were ok scrapping against the odds, but in games where we should be taking 3 points I don't think he ever instilled that winning mentality.

Would love for us to go 3 up and bring on a couple of youngsters to hopefully bring them along. Appreciate there are no easy games in the Championship.

Don't remember us creating one really good chance for Rhodes against Wednesday - Lambert needs to sort that out - such a waste

Ordered my tickets on Saturday so hoping they arrive soon.

Games like this are where I hope to see Lambert start to have an effect. Under Bowyer I think we were ok scrapping against the odds, but in games where we should be taking 3 points I don't think he ever instilled that winning mentality.

Would love for us to go 3 up and bring on a couple of youngsters to hopefully bring them along. Appreciate there are no easy games in the Championship.

Don't remember us creating one really good chance for Rhodes against Wednesday - Lambert needs to sort that out - such a waste

Ordered my tickets on Saturday so hoping they arrive soon.

You can only work with what you've got and the only thing Paul Lambert can do is make this bunch harder to beat through shear graft.

Having a wife from Bristol and members of her family as ciderhead season ticket holders I'll be down for the weekend for this, quite a bit of no doubt in the Black Horse in Clapton-in-Gordano - wonderful pub.

Note that Ashton Gate is still under re-development. That's why we only have an allocation of about 1,000 and they will no doubt sell out soon.

The away fans are this year in a corner of the Atyeo Stand, the opposite end to where we have been in recent seasons. You have to access from Ashton Road and can't get round the back of the stadium for access.

For anyone with a long memory the away fans used to be on the old open stand where the Atyeo Stand now is, but that was a long time ago. I can remember going to see City beat Liverpool in the one season they were in the old Division 1 and standing there.

Parking is also pretty tricky as well. I'll be relying on my brother-in-law's local knowledge. This is from City's website: -

There might be some on-street parking available near the ground if you arrive early enough. Bedminster cricket club offers secure parking with a bar and food. They are just a five minute walk from the ground. There is also parking available at private sites on Ashton Vale road.

Away fans should avoid pubs on North Street, but the Nova Scotia and the Pump House welcome well-behaved away supporters. They are a 15 minute walk from the ground.

Is the City Boss still Steve Cotterill, the ex-Burnley manager?

It is, always rated him as a half decent manager.

Tough game this as they like to be hard to beat and draw a lot as I think they are happy with consolidation this season with anything else a bonus. Lambert will have to build his own side in his own style before i'll start scrutinising him hard but I think we'll have a go here then perhaps shut up shop later on.

City 0 Rovers 0

For anyone with a long memory the away fans used to be on the old open stand where the Atyeo Stand now is, but that was a long time ago.

Aye ... I remember standing on that terrace back in November '81, after saving up all my dinner money that week to pay for it. Got beat 2-0 that day ... but no where near as disappointing a feeling coming home as the 1-0 win at Bristol Rovers six months later!

• Backroom

Thanks chief, a really well written preview.

1-0 Rovers for me, Rhodes on target. With the players still out to impress - especially with the window upcoming and the embargo potentially lifted - we should have enough to take all the points from Ashton Gate. Lambert needs all the points he can get considering our dismal start to the season.

For anyone with a long memory the away fans used to be on the old open stand where the Atyeo Stand now is, but that was a long time ago. I can remember going to see City beat Liverpool in the one season they were in the old Division 1 and standing there.

I remember standing on the open terrace.

I expect a win this weekend to maintain our crawl up the table. Slowly Slowly catchee monkey.

I remember standing on the open terrace.

Remember standing on the small open terrace full of City fans as a kid with my dad and uncle both Bristolians and probably around 150 Rovers fans to my right close to the corner as Rovers lost 2-0 in what did seem an easy win for Bristol City on the day. They were on the up though in those days unlike today.

Archived