BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newport

• Backroom

I don't think it's going overboard in the circumstances, I'm sure the reaction had we lost been more severe.

It's a game we should have won, a moment changed the complexion of it to the point a draw would have been decent at half time, we came out second half and dominated.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic result may be going overboard IMO

I appreciate that we played with 10 men and any win is a positive result, but I still think we needed to dominate more to get a bit of a confidence boost. I think Charlton are a well timed opportunity to galvanise a team against the lads who've shipped 11 in two games.

Just didn't fancy it, haven't enjoyed any rovers games since the first half against Forest. I kept in touch with the score still but spent the time doing something else. Felt good to win again after 7 games and Rhodes bagging is a boost.

You couldn't be bothered watching your team?

Words fail me.

Why send off the keeper in injury time- harsh - yellow would have sufficed. Crap ref

Because he has to. He's not allowed to make any proper judgements himself.

It's all in the Sepp Blatter rule book, don't you know.

I don't think it's going overboard in the circumstances, I'm sure the reaction had we lost been more severe.

It's a game we should have won, a moment changed the complexion of it to the point a draw would have been decent at half time, we came out second half and dominated.

Fantastic - i'm not going down "definition" drive, but I'd rather say good or positive result regardless of the circumstances vs a team who's entire team, club, training ground, stadium etc cost less than our bench a season - namely the lad who probably made the difference in the end.

Like I said, a more convincing victory would've bred more confidence for the league - that would've been a fantastic or exceptional result IMO. the main positive for me is JR bagging because he needed a boost, head has been down a few times late in games recently.

You couldn't be bothered watching your team?

Words fail me.

It's not mandatory to watch every single game to be a fan is it? I'd certainly expect local fans to make an effort to get to home games to "support" the club, but now it's fair to criticise because I'd had enough of the first half on a welsh TV channel over BBC iplayer? Words certainly failed you.

Fantastic - i'm not going down "definition" drive, but I'd rather say good or positive result regardless of the circumstances vs a team who's entire team, club, training ground, stadium etc cost less than our bench a season - namely the lad who probably made the difference in the end.

Like I said, a more convincing victory would've bred more confidence for the league - that would've been a fantastic or exceptional result IMO. the main positive for me is JR bagging because he needed a boost, head has been down a few times late in games recently.

It's not mandatory to watch every single game to be a fan is it? I'd certainly expect local fans to make an effort to get to home games to "support" the club, but now it's fair to criticise because I'd had enough of the first half on a welsh TV channel over BBC iplayer? Words certainly failed you.

I'm not digging him out. Shocked that he'd chose to do something else.

It's his own choice, but

I personally find it strange.

You don't. Fair enough.

The best Rovers team I ever saw got turfed out of the FA Cup by a team who'd only just joined the Football League so let's give this " two divisions below us " talk a rest. Normally it's 11 v 11 on the night and that's all that matters. We made it a lot harder by going 11 v 10 for 80 minutes.

I said at the start Lambert had picked all the " men " he had for tonights game. He'd probably wound them up before the game, we certainly needed to get more physical. Maybe Brownie took his words too seriously.

All that matters tonight is we live to fight another day. This will be a confidence boosting result given the circumstances. Let's just hope playing with ten for nearly all the game hasn't taken too much out of us.

yes and if we had been up for it that day we would probably won the cup. Preston and West Ham in the final and we had far more tallented players than either, but we couldn't be bothered. In my opinion it was the start of 30 years of hurt?

It still bothers me now, despite all the ups and downs in between.

The best Rovers team I ever saw got turfed out of the FA Cup by a team who'd only just joined the Football League so let's give this " two divisions below us " talk a rest.

Feb 15th 1964. FA Cup 5th rnd Oxford Utd v Blackburn Rovers. Score 3-1

Rovers team: Else; Bray, Joyce: Clayton, England, McGrath; Ferguson, McEvoy, Pickering, Douglas, Harrison.

Walter Joyce replaced the injured Keith Newton.

Mike Ferguson scored our goal.

Gate at the Manor Ground was 21,300

Captain of Oxford was Ron Atkinson.

Now that was real giant killing.

Just posted the same thing about Evans on another thread. He's Mr Anonymous, doesn't get forward, doesn't put a tackle in, too lightweight for a DM. It was his man that got a free shot for their goal.

He's got a good agent to get another 3.5 years out of us.

Like a bunch of other players (Guthrie, Lawrence, Conway, Akpan) he had a purple patch in September and October where he looked good but he is now back to being crap.

Understand Lambo needs to be given time to build his team but the level of performance he is getting out of the players is utterly appalling. I am not optimistic I have to say. Its hard to imagine how Lambert could have had a less impressive start. Sad face.

Is it just me that thinks we've done really well to win this game with ten men? Especially away from home, Monday night and after the run we have been on.

I bet our lot are knackered, but pretty elated. Can only see positives from this result. Great defensive performance 2nd half, Rhodes has notched, in to the next round and a win for the team at last.

No-one is battering us. Heads are still up and they are trying. This win tells you that. It would have been easy to collapse at 1-1 with 10 men.

Credit to all.

Just got back now after a long day and journey down to Newport.

Set off at 2:30pm from Blackburn and owing to the chaos on the M5 took a diversion which saw us eventually arrive in Newport about 7:00pm.

First half I was disappointed. I felt we started well but the sending off threw us big time whilst obviously raising all the Newport spirits after they had suffered such an early setback with the penalty. I was relieved to hear the half time whistle and it still be 1-1. We really struggled to gain any kind of composure or control in the game after they had equalised.

Second half I was impressed. I felt we handled the whole game very well. In the face of a numerical disadvantage, a poor pitch, uncomfortable surroundings and everything else that was going on I thought the team dealt with it very well and avoided an upset.

The centre backs and Chris Taylor were very good. Rhodes did a good job all round when he came on. Steele a bit dodgy despite a good save early doors. Bennett very quiet once again and didnt see a lot of the ball as has been the case the last 2 matches.

To go down to 10 men after less than 10 minutes in any game is going to be difficult to cope with. But I felt we showed good character to go on and win the game in the second half. We now need to maintain that and win at Charlton and Oxford.

Rubbish. So, an appalling first touch warrants a red card? Mental.

No, but he was late and his studs were up. He could have caused serious injury to that player, so it was a reckless challenge. Cmon pal, he had a crap 1st touch, he could have held back a bit.

Impossible to tackle without showing your studs. He stood on his toe.

Impossible to tackle without showing studs? How do you tackle?

No, but he was late and his studs were up. He could have caused serious injury to that player, so it was a reckless challenge. Cmon pal, he had a crap 1st touch, he could have held back a bit.

Impossible to tackle without showing studs? How do you tackle?

18 stitches apparently!

Just got back now after a long day and journey down to Newport.

Set off at 2:30pm from Blackburn and owing to the chaos on the M5 took a diversion which saw us eventually arrive in Newport about 7:00pm.

First half I was disappointed. I felt we started well but the sending off threw us big time whilst obviously raising all the Newport spirits after they had suffered such an early setback with the penalty. I was relieved to hear the half time whistle and it still be 1-1. We really struggled to gain any kind of composure or control in the game after they had equalised.

Second half I was impressed. I felt we handled the whole game very well. In the face of a numerical disadvantage, a poor pitch, uncomfortable surroundings and everything else that was going on I thought the team dealt with it very well and avoided an upset.

The centre backs and Chris Taylor were very good. Rhodes did a good job all round when he came on. Steele a bit dodgy despite a good save early doors. Bennett very quiet once again and didnt see a lot of the ball as has been the case the last 2 matches.

To go down to 10 men after less than 10 minutes in any game is going to be difficult to cope with. But I felt we showed good character to go on and win the game in the second half. We now need to maintain that and win at Charlton and Oxford.

Exactly how we saw the game (except for the first 8 mins as we arrived late due to the M5 closure).

This was a potential banana skin but Rovers did a professional job in the 2nd half.

Lenihan is also getting better, he is one for the future. The fans got behind the team and you could tell how much that victory meant to the players at full time when they came over to the fans and were roundly applauded.

Is it just me that thinks we've done really well to win this game with ten men? Especially away from home, Monday night and after the run we have been on.

I bet our lot are knackered, but pretty elated. Can only see positives from this result. Great defensive performance 2nd half, Rhodes has notched, in to the next round and a win for the team at last.

No-one is battering us. Heads are still up and they are trying. This win tells you that. It would have been easy to collapse at 1-1 with 10 men.

Credit to all.

Nope, I totally agree with you oojw! Was fully expecting to come on here after the game and see some rare praise and reasonably positive comments. But it seems most are still stuck in their default infinitely demanding/miserable setting.

Archived