BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newport

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down to 10 men for 80mins, completely comfortable second half bar one cross.

FA Cup away fixtures are notoriously difficult no matter what level it is. If you were expecting us to turn up and do them over you know less about football than you were claiming earlier in this thread.

I wasn't expecting us to turn up and do them over at all, hence my comment. An away game at lower league opposition, poor pitch and on a bad run, could so easily have been a shock. My post states EXACTLY that. You can't tell the we are two leagues above the opposition. A great leveller the cup, which is why we get so many shocks.

Woeful first half, couldn't bring myself to watch the second. Glad we got the result though, a replay or defeat would've been extremely worrying.

The real work starts saturday at the valley. League form needs arresting. I'm not sure how much confidence we can take from scraping past newport, however JR scoring is something we needed.

Once Rhodes gets a goal he tends to go on a run, a couple against Charlton will do nicely Jordan!

Much improved 2nd half, thought Akpan put in a lot of effort, Hanley looked solid and Rhodes changed the game coming on. Lawrence with a good assist also but still not convinced by him generally.

Hope this is the start of a turn around but we do need some quality injected into this side very soon in the form of 2 or 3 signings at least.

Easy , just toying with them :) oh look Wedi'r egwyl on next on s4c might stay up for that

Just seen the pic bbc sport have tweeted with Rhodes celebration, sucking his thumb anybody know what that is about?

He did the baby cradling thing too, I'm assuming he's recently become a father?

Forget Brown's as thats opinion, my opinion Foul - yes, Yellow - yes, Red - never

as for the Keeper the rules are clear, he never broke a rule that results in a red, so it's never a red.

Yes he did he denied a clear goalscoring opportunity. You can't let him off simply because it's the last minute of injury time.

Easy , just toying with them :) oh look Wedi'r egwyl on next on s4c might stay up for that

Just seen the pic bbc sport have tweeted with Rhodes celebration, sucking his thumb anybody know what that is about?

Ben Marshalls Mrs has just had their first baby.

Eh? Blatant red!

As for Brown's I can't think of many ref's who wouldn't have red carded him these days. The rule is that you see red if you are reckless or your body is out of control. I'm sure he didn't intend to hurt the other player but his studs were up and it was a very poor, nasty challenge.

As the poster above said., 2 nailed on reds.

I'd like to see that law (there are no rules of football) in writing Rev.

So Oxford away it is. I'm up for that one......52 years of hurt etc etc

yes and if we had been up for it that day we would probably won the cup. Preston and West Ham in the final and we had far more tallented players than either, but we couldn't be bothered. In my opinion it was the start of 30 years of hurt?

Hanley, Taylor & Rhodes the only ones to come out of that game with any credit.

At least Akpan tries. He surged forward several times. He's just not very good with a football!

Much better second half. We actually looked the better side.

It was an obvious red card and unbelievably stupid. Virtually no time to equalise and makes a stupid challenge like that to get suspended. Can't believe the Newport fans were clapping him. If I was in charge there he would never play for the club again.

The game was over. Conway heading away from goal. Just show a yellow then blow the whistle.

Stupid is not running the free kick into the corner flag.

yes and if we had been up for it that day we would probably won the cup. Preston and West Ham in the final and we had far more tallented players than either, but we couldn't be bothered. In my opinion it was the start of 30 years of hurt?

It still bothers me now, despite all the ups and downs in between.

Let's hope that has at least stopped the rot.

Not sure what sort of team we will have out on Saturday - we are desperate for a couple of good additions (better quality than Bennett and Jackson needed).

I'd take a point now at Charlton.

I wasn't expecting us to turn up and do them over at all, hence my comment. An away game at lower league opposition, poor pitch and on a bad run, could so easily have been a shock. My post states EXACTLY that. You can't tell the we are two leagues above the opposition. A great leveller the cup, which is why we get so many shocks.

Huh? I mooted improved fitness as a possible reason why we looked so comfortable down to ten. You discounted that and inferred that, because we are two leagues above them, we should be automatically running rings around the 'lesser' team.

I agree with everything in your second post but it doesn't tally with the tone of your first.

• Backroom

Woeful first half, couldn't bring myself to watch the second. Glad we got the result though, a replay or defeat would've been extremely worrying.

The real work starts saturday at the valley. League form needs arresting. I'm not sure how much confidence we can take from scraping past newport, however JR scoring is something we needed.

You missed a very good second half from us and I think we can take a lot from winning a game where we had 10 men for 80 minutes of it.

Fantastic result all things considered.

Very professional 2nd half performance from the team but can someone explain what qualities Corry Evans brings to the team and what he has done to secure a three and a half year contract?

Just posted the same thing about Evans on another thread. He's Mr Anonymous, doesn't get forward, doesn't put a tackle in, too lightweight for a DM. It was his man that got a free shot for their goal.

He's got a good agent to get another 3.5 years out of us.

Archived