BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newport

They are really not. I take the point (and agree with you) that a slow mo often makes things look worse than reality, but a lot of professional footballers are really not all that fit at all.

Compare the physique of a typical top level footballer to other elite sportsmen.

Footballers, like all sportsmen, are fit for their particular sport. An "elite" rugby player would be breathing out of his arse on a football pitch. Having said that, some footballers are much fitter than others. And the very best stand out a mile.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was only watching on a small screen but my immediate reaction was that Brown "did" Elito.

Studs showing and raked down the shin. A red any day of the week as was their sending off too.

"He's had 10-15 stitches in his leg," Feeney added. It is a gash and it is unfortunate. He was rushed to hospital - the medical guys are saying you could see down to the bone. He'll be out for a couple of weeks at least."

I was only watching on a small screen but my immediate reaction was that Brown "did" Elito.

Studs showing and raked down the shin. A red any day of the week as was their sending off too.

"He's had 10-15 stitches in his leg," Feeney added. It is a gash and it is unfortunate. He was rushed to hospital - the medical guys are saying you could see down to the bone. He'll be out for a couple of weeks at least."

I would completely disagree that he went into that tackle trying to do the bloke but then I've made that point already so will stop repeating myself :)

Regarding you putting the consequences of the tackle in big, bold letters, I'm sorry but so what? He'll be out for a couple of weeks, that's about as minor an injury as you can get. Just because he had to have stitches doesn't mean the world is going to end. I had 12 stitches in my face from a flying elbow at football and the gash is tiny, I had 6 stitches in my ankle for a 2-footer and its a mess. The more stitches they give you, the less noticeable the scar, so I'd imagine pretty boy footballers with private healthcare would want about 5 put in for every centimetre. The lad will be fine, just as he was in the few seconds before the referee showed up and he started rolling around and dangling his leg in the ref's face to make sure Brown walked.

I miss the days when players would have got up and grinned at Brown as a sign they couldn't be intimidated. Souey would have just got him back 5 minutes later.

I would completely disagree that he went into that tackle trying to do the bloke but then I've made that point already so will stop repeating myself :)

Regarding you putting the consequences of the tackle in big, bold letters, I'm sorry but so what? He'll be out for a couple of weeks, that's about as minor an injury as you can get. Just because he had to have stitches doesn't mean the world is going to end. I had 12 stitches in my face from a flying elbow at football and the gash is tiny, I had 6 stitches in my ankle for a 2-footer and its a mess. The more stitches they give you, the less noticeable the scar, so I'd imagine pretty boy footballers with private healthcare would want about 5 put in for every centimetre. The lad will be fine, just as he was in the few seconds before the referee showed up and he started rolling around and dangling his leg in the ref's face to make sure Brown walked.

I miss the days when players would have got up and grinned at Brown as a sign they couldn't be intimidated. Souey would have just got him back 5 minutes later.

It was interesting to see the reaction of the Rovers bench to the Brown incident. Lambert and Irvine were chatting about something or other just before the ref brandished the red card. I don't think it had occurred to either of them that Brown might get sent off, because when the cheer went up from the Newport fans in reaction to the red card, Lambert clearly said "What happened?" (I think he thought there had been some 'afters' between Brown and one of the other Newport players).

If you had any sense you'd keep away from Souey until about 5 minutes from the end of the game. Even then you'd be taking a big chance.

If you had any sense you'd keep away from Souey until about 5 minutes from the end of the game. Even then you'd be taking a big chance.

There'll be many a middle aged bloke with the scars to support what you say TS. Peter Nicholas anyone?

• Backroom

Was it Souey who hacked someone down in a pre-season friendly?

'Hellfire, it's only a friendly!'

'Aye, and don't forget it.'

How anyone thinks that wasn`t a sending off baffles me. He wasn`t sent off for a bad touch, he was sent off for ripping the guys shin off. I didn`t hear anyone complain in the concourse at half time when we saw the replay on the tv. And why shouldn`t the keeper be sent off because it was injury time? I didn`t realise there was a cut off point.

I had a rather enjoyable return tour to Newport after the disappointment of last Saturdays postponement.

Caught the 11:00am train and arrived in Cardiff just before 2pm. Had a few pints in the Centre before checking into our hotel at 3. No trains going back to where I live after the match so had to get accommodation and Cardiff is a much better option than staying in Newport.

Rolled into Newport before 4pm and visited the Weatherspoons, Cross Keys and Dodger pub before the game. Great hospitality again from the Newport fans apart the the Dodger but who knew it was a home fans pub only. Lucky to make it out alive wearing my Rovers scarf and should of really dodged the place thinking about the name in heinsight but after 10 pints a bar is a bar!

We got to Rodney Parade about 10 minutes before kick off and took our spots behind the goal in the open stand. I think we started alright, looked a penalty from where we were standing and after getting the early goal i was thinking we could run riot here. Feed the Brown and he will score were the chants and he looked proper pumped but then the sending off changed the first half. We sat off and resorted to long ball which clearly doesn't work. Everything pumped up to Lawrence was just coming back at us. Why don't we keep the ball on the deck and pass to feet I'll never know as we are @#/? in the air. When I train for my local side, if the ball goes over knee high the punishment is 10 press ups and a lap round the pitch. Perhaps Lambert should take note and introduce this into his training methods!

We made Newport look like Barcelona, the standing off and not making any tackles was ridiculous. They deserved their equaliser which looked a fine strike and we were lucky to go in 1-1 at halftime. Pint and a fag and back to the stand not knowing what to expect. This is the FA Cup away to lower league and they must of really fancied their chances after that first half showing.

We seemed to be much more physical and focused with a new formation and looked more in control even with just 10 men. Rhodes took his chance and sent us into raptures.

Lucky to get away with the win but with the character and organistion displayed in the second half deserved it. I do remember Newport missing a sitter near the end but thankfully the player must have a head like a Toblerone.

Back to the train station and 10 minutes later we were back in Cardiff and decided to celebrate our cup win. After a few bars on St Marys Street we headed to the live lounge where it was absolutely packed for a Monday. This band played around midnight-1am and were better than decent although the copious amount of alcohol by that point may of swayed my judgement.

Was then persuaded to go to the Fantasy lounge by the street rep as they had 4 Coronas for £8 I think. Apparently, I was explaining to the lap dancers how much I hate Burnley and that Jordan Rhodes can score when he wants. I think I made their night!

Woke up with a severe hangover, checked out the hotel and slept on the train all the way home.

Hopefully the win and fight showed in the second half will give the players a bit more confidence going to Charlton on Saturday. Looking forward to Oxford away in the next round too.

2 observations for people who went:

Who was that guy in blue who walked on the pitch when there was an injury to a Newport player in front of us. He was in casual clothes and just strolled onto the pitch, had a look and then just strolled off.

The stewards hair with the tiniest ponytail and shaven sides. The most ridiculous haircut I've ever seen and deserved the taunting for that alone!

Good tour!

I had a rather enjoyable return tour to Newport after the disappointment of last Saturdays postponement.

Caught the 11:00am train and arrived in Cardiff just before 2pm. Had a few pints in the Centre before checking into our hotel at 3. No trains going back to where I live after the match so had to get accommodation and Cardiff is a much better option than staying in Newport.

Rolled into Newport before 4pm and visited the Weatherspoons, Cross Keys and Dodger pub before the game. Great hospitality again from the Newport fans apart the the Dodger but who knew it was a home fans pub only. Lucky to make it out alive wearing my Rovers scarf and should of really dodged the place thinking about the name in heinsight but after 10 pints a bar is a bar!

We got to Rodney Parade about 10 minutes before kick off and took our spots behind the goal in the open stand. I think we started alright, looked a penalty from where we were standing and after getting the early goal i was thinking we could run riot here. Feed the Brown and he will score were the chants and he looked proper pumped but then the sending off changed the first half. We sat off and resorted to long ball which clearly doesn't work. Everything pumped up to Lawrence was just coming back at us. Why don't we keep the ball on the deck and pass to feet I'll never know as we are @#/? in the air. When I train for my local side, if the ball goes over knee high the punishment is 10 press ups and a lap round the pitch. Perhaps Lambert should take note and introduce this into his training methods!

We made Newport look like Barcelona, the standing off and not making any tackles was ridiculous. They deserved their equaliser which looked a fine strike and we were lucky to go in 1-1 at halftime. Pint and a fag and back to the stand not knowing what to expect. This is the FA Cup away to lower league and they must of really fancied their chances after that first half showing.

We seemed to be much more physical and focused with a new formation and looked more in control even with just 10 men. Rhodes took his chance and sent us into raptures.

Lucky to get away with the win but with the character and organistion displayed in the second half deserved it. I do remember Newport missing a sitter near the end but thankfully the player must have a head like a Toblerone.

Back to the train station and 10 minutes later we were back in Cardiff and decided to celebrate our cup win. After a few bars on St Marys Street we headed to the live lounge where it was absolutely packed for a Monday. This band played around midnight-1am and were better than decent although the copious amount of alcohol by that point may of swayed my judgement.

Was then persuaded to go to the Fantasy lounge by the street rep as they had 4 Coronas for £8 I think. Apparently, I was explaining to the lap dancers how much I hate Burnley and that Jordan Rhodes can score when he wants. I think I made their night!

Woke up with a severe hangover, checked out the hotel and slept on the train all the way home.

Hopefully the win and fight showed in the second half will give the players a bit more confidence going to Charlton on Saturday. Looking forward to Oxford away in the next round too.

Who was that guy in blue who walked on the pitch when there was an injury to a Newport player in front of us. He was in casual clothes and just strolled onto the pitch, had a look and then just strolled off.

The stewards hair with the tiniest ponytail and shaven sides. The most ridiculous haircut I've ever seen and deserved the taunting for that alone!

Good tour!

Live Lounge is brilliant - I live in Cardiff and it's always a sure bet! Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Back this afternoon after a couple of days with family in Bristol whilst taking in the game.

I thought it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening out, a good second half performance after the first half wobbles.

The Newport people were all very friendly. I don't recall ever leaving an away ground with the PA thanking us all for coming and wishing us all the best in the next round.

The programme was also excellent - not a phrase I can recall writing for a long time. Several pages on Rovers, including an article of social media comments on the game, including contributions from our own Waggy76, Tomphil, Gav and AggyBlue. I suspect they don't know that as I think it was just someone browsing messageboards.

Good tour!

Good lad, proper away day. I might move to Cardiff if you can have that much fun on a Monday night, you can't even get a decent Saturday night around here these days :(

As Presty asked....who the hell was that random guy on the field? Then he casually wandered off to where the players come out never to be seen again!

It was Barry, he`s a regular, not very social like, but he shows up...what more can you ask..

Which league are we in?

Where have we been finishing in that league in recent seasons?

How much money do we have?

How many fans do we have?

What do those fans contribute financially to the club in season ticket prices?

I'm not saying we can't do better than Brown, but all things being equal (i.e. unless the manager/scouts play a blinder) we can't do much better. Brown has about the appropriate ability for a squad player for a club of Rovers stature. Its not his fault we've got a huge number of fans who are still totally delusional about that stature. The Walker Era will apparently leave a long, long shadow of delusional grandeur amongst our support. I thought 5 years of decline would have got rid of it but maybe it'll take more like 50.

Is it right to accept what's currently on offer ?

Archived