BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pne. Early Ko 12.30

barry_

Nope

Brown was fouled and Graham booked for arguing.

Same scenario before their goal either Graham was fouled and a red card or he dived

Correct. Pen for me, Tom.

This is the problem with being at the wrong end of the table, you get the worst refs.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing we learnt from todays game, Paul Lambert must move heaven and earth to bring Paul Gallagher back to the club he loves. Top drawer player at this level.

Bowyer should have had him back here a while ago he was practically begging to come. Given his penchant for re signing ex players he dropped a right ball there BUT Gally has flair so that ruled him out of ever being a GB player.

Lambert seems to at least like one flair player in his side, sadly he's an on loan over rated lazy git.

And as for that little runt celebrating by doing a venkys chicken .. I hope the little @#/? gets hauled in for that what a prick

Is that why it all kicked off in the JW lower? Somebody was taking a pasting.

Gallagher is @#/?. Just shows how low this club has sunk under the scum that people would laud signing such a dolloper.

Quite. We let him go when he simply wasn't good enough for the level we were at at the time. Resigning cast-offs that were deemed not good enough for us would be a step backward. We need to be looking forward.

One thing we learnt from todays game, Paul Lambert must move heaven and earth to bring Paul Gallagher back to the club he loves. Top drawer player at this level.

I thought he was excellent for about 20 minutes in the first half - second half nowhere near as good. Even Preston fans say he isn't consistent enough - so it would be a no from me.

Getting extremely tired of games being decided by referee's. Duffy should never have been sent off - as we should have had a free kick when Graham was brought down on the edge of their box.

Need to see the Brown "penalty" again - but looked a penalty from where I was (granted the Riverside isn't necessarily the best spot).

There was once a time when raising your hands to a player was a sending off - but they seem to make the rules up as they go along these days.

IMO Gomez has yet to play one good match for Rovers - some very average performances being occasionally lit up by the odd piece of skill isn't enough in the Championship.

Venky's can easily lift the doom - by giving Lambert a ring and committing some funds for him to rebuild parts of the side for next season.

I thought Gomez was very very poor yet again.. I'd rather have grimes in.

Gomez is not a player to have in your team when you are losing.

When Duffy went off Gomez should have been sacrificed, not the newly introduced Jackson, then he brought off Akpan (who was battling) and still left Gomez on. I'm inclined to give Lambert the benefit of the doubt but I'd love to know what his thinking was.

Crass. You weren't even there.

Why are you even posting?

Well I don't think violence is appropriate and there's a difference between maybe slapping someone round a bit and giving them a "pasting." When there's kids around watching people should try to step in even if they shouldn't be in home areas.

So what if I wasn't there do people have to be at every game? Trying to save some money. ST next year and at least one away game (instead of this) later this month. Had a couple of additional reasons for missing this one and principle was part of it. The police had no reason to choose this kick off time. Time wasn't a problem for me but it was for others. So that's one of the reasons I chose this game as one not to attend.Missed the Hull and Brighton home games though so it wasn't the only reason as explained.

• Backroom

Why should any of the players in on loan give a flying one when push comes to shove? Therein lies part of the problem imo and you can't build a team consisting largely of loanees imo, the loan system should only be used sparingly to supplement the squad if you're short in a particular position or one particular player could make a massive difference on a temporary basis.

It can work if the player is coming to the end of their contract and playing for one at the loan club - Graham, for example. Young players like Grimes also have the motivation to impress on loan to give their parent clubs a reason to consider them for selection.

Players like Gomez, however, are a different story. Not entirely sure why he even agreed to come here if he was going to stop trying after a few matches. The quality of his team mates can't have been a shock to him - we were hardly flying high when he joined.

Obviously this game rested on the sending off and penalty decision....can't really comment on the actual handball from my position at the other side of the ground. But needless to say if it was deliberate ball to hand then that's pretty stupid.That's the thing you'd maybe do in desperation in the closing minutes but that early in the game basically gave the game away.

I was disappointed in the away fans - after reading all the hype about these thousands and thousands I thought they were pretty damned quiet - especially as they already had the game sewn up at half-time. But I guess that's what you get from fans who for most were only watching their '2nd team'. Towards normal kick-off time their thoughts probably turned towards Premier League team news etc. And what about those 2 lines of Preston folk in the JW lower - the guys that didn't get chucked out for scuffling with the kiddies all left at half-time. Did they have to set off for Anfield? Surely they wouldn't have had to leave that early to get to the local sports bar?

It was a bit of a strange one all round. The atmosphere for small parts of the first half - particularly in the first 25 mins certainly didn't feel like Charlton at home. Though it kind of tailed off after that (from everyone). I think the vast majority of supporters were already resigned to defeat at half-time (me included). So the 2nd half kind of felt a bit like going through the motions. Rovers only chance was that one of the Preston lot would lose their heads and the ref be forced to level up the numbers. But alas it didn't happen and the game flitted along with Preston looking the more likely to score - although they appear to have some bang average mid-table strikers.

The level of officiating at this level is truly appalling though and not so much the big decisions than others. You really notice this when you're really close to the action. Like the linesman JW/Darwen side made at least a couple of horrendous decisions which were at least a yard off -pretty obvious. Then there was one where a Preston player tripped someone off the ball in the referees line of sight - about one metre away and yet nothing.

To sum up. 2 bang average teams for whom having a player more or less than the opposition made a massive difference. We'll certainly be playing these guys again next season. I won't be losing any sleep over this. I'm already starting to get more nervous about tomorrows T20 World Cup final.

What happens off the field should be more of a concern for supporters.

Well I don't think violence is appropriate and there's a difference between maybe slapping someone round a bit and giving them a "pasting." When there's kids around watching people should try to step in even if they shouldn't be in home areas.

So what if I wasn't there do people have to be at every game? Trying to save some money. ST next year and at least one away game (instead of this) later this month.

How can you comment on whether somebody got a slap or a pasting when YOU WEREN'T EVEN THERE??

Whoever it was was getting a real going over, it wasn't just a quick tap. "People should try to step in"? After you mate. Oh wait, not much chance of you intervening - YOU WEREN'T THERE.

But out of commenting of stuff you have no clue about. Spammer!

How can you comment on whether somebody got a slap or a pasting when YOU WEREN'T EVEN THERE??

Whoever it was was getting a real going over, it wasn't just a quick tap. "People should try to step in"? After you mate. Oh wait, not much chance of you intervening - YOU WEREN'T THERE.

But out of commenting of stuff you have no clue about. Spammer!

Right well there's me being told its a "family club" so often. Getting a "pasting" and a "real going over" with nobody intervening very pleasant.

Only reason I wouldn't have intervened is because I can't bloody fight a lick!

I can't understand people criticising Duffy. It was a pure reaction and the majority of players would have done the same. Much more than Duffy our keeper cost us today. For their first he has to hold the shot or push it away from goal they don't get a free shot. I also think he should have done better for their second. A ball at that height across the six yard box should always be the keepers. Until the penalty we weren't in any trouble at all. Credit to Lambert for changing the shape completely by playing three at the back. Unfortunately Marshall didn't look comfortable in a wing back role. On the evidence of the last few games Gomez would be too much of an expensive luxury if he signed permanently. Akpan was also poor overall.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that we would have won with eleven men.

The referee was poor and his inconsistency was infuriating. He bottled the Brown penalty big time and how the Preston captain wasn't booked for his assault on Bennett was a mystery.

Don't advocate violence at a game in front of kids but if your an away fan in the home section mouthing off or celebrating wildly you should expect a slap. Hopefully said geezer isn't badly damaged and has learned his lesson, no doubt whoever was handing out the treatment will be hauled over the coals for it and has probably seen his last match for a while.

Also it's really the job of the stewards to dive in on these things after all that's what they are there for.

Obviously this game rested on the sending off and penalty decision....can't really comment on the actual handball from my position at the other side of the ground. But needless to say if it was deliberate ball to hand then that's pretty stupid.That's the thing you'd maybe do in desperation in the closing minutes but that early in the game basically gave the game away.

To be fair, he threw himself across the ground, John Terry style, desperate to keep the ball out, it could have easily hit him on the face but he put his body on the line. I'm not sure where he could have put his arms. By the rules it was the correct decision but I don't think he deserves vilifying for trying to keep the ball out. My beef if the ridiculousness of the multiple punishments for a single offence. He has to miss a game and three quarters, and the goal that he denied them, they scored anyway.

Right well there's me being told its a "family club" so often. Getting a "pasting" and a "real going over" with nobody intervening very pleasant.

Only reason I wouldn't have intervened is because I can't bloody fight a lick!

It wasn't that sort of situation. You wouldn't have been able to intervene. There were loads of people at the front of the JW lower where it was kicking off - you wouldn't even have got near and there were stewards and police all over it very quickly.

Why should any of the players in on loan give a flying one when push comes to shove? Therein lies part of the problem imo and you can't build a team consisting largely of loanees imo, the loan system should only be used sparingly to supplement the squad if you're short in a particular position or one particular player could make a massive difference on a temporary basis.

To be honest Rev, the quality of the squad before the loan signings was so poor we'd have been relegated by now if we hadn't utilised it.

As has been said earlier, players on loan (should) either want to earn a deal or impress their parent clubs. Gomez's performance today suggested he's tossing it off here in readiness for the bench at Sunderland next season. Whatever happened to professional pride?

Duffy has tweeted an apology to the team, what about the fans?? Accepts he made the wrong decision & will learn from it!!

Bang average season just got worse.

PL needs funds, end of. god only knows what goes through our poor excuse for owners minds. Too busy counting how much money they've lost?

• Backroom

It'll never be as good as Mike Newells away at Wimbledon that time, even the top guys have a rush of blood !

Wasn't the resulting penalty saved that day?

Archived