BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pne. Early Ko 12.30

barry_

My view for what little worth it has, is you judge the situation. It was a 1/3 into the game, we are one up and bossing the game. I was behind the goal, and he did what he did deliberately to "save" a goal. No-one around me thought it was instinctive - any player knows you do that you walk. So we go 1-1, but he stays on the pitch. Even game - I can see it in the last 10 minutes possibly, but a pen is more often scored than not. Just changed the game. Don't buy the instinctive thing at all. He's a defender, kicks and heads, doesn't use his hands. No need when on the line in the scenario we had?

But in the split second as the ball is struck I don't believe your brain computes quickly enough for you to consider the consequences, the focus is on keeping the ball out. That is why I am convinced it is a completely instinctive reaction and for him to be pilloried for it is wrong.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've made this point countless times before and I'll say it again...

The Championship is a league EVERY team should be planning to get out of, despite if it's realistic or not, teams should aspiring to put a team together that can push for the top 6. Karanka has looked at Jason Steele and decided, pretty quickly, that this lad is just not good enough. Therefore he shouldn't be good enough for us, as a squad player... fine... but not a number 1 for us, ever.

Aye he was 3rd choice at Boro and you'd think if we had an experienced administrator running the show they wouldn't have agreed to Bowyer and co wasting money on this lad, even if we needed Robinson out. This lad was 3rd choice for a reason and we paid flipping money for him.

It's reflected around the whole team though, Akpans getting stick but he couldn't get into a crap Reading side and so it goes through most of our team. God only knows were we'd be if Lambert hadn't added something a bit better on loan and he needs to start working his magic from the keeper onwards if allowed. Get Steele on the bench get rid of Eastwood and get Raya out on loan and tell him to earn his place back here instead of living on youth team hype some bath him in.

Paying three first team keepers when we are skint, you couldn't make it up. Absolutely clueless !

Hard to blame Duffy when 99.9% of players would make an instinctive decision to keep the ball out. I would question the resultant substitution, which I reckon was a wasted one. Lenihan could have gone to CH leaving Jackson on to keep some pace on the pitch.

But in the split second as the ball is struck I don't believe your brain computes quickly enough for you to consider the consequences, the focus is on keeping the ball out. That is why I am convinced it is a completely instinctive reaction and for him to be pilloried for it is wrong.

Steele would have been proud with that save, agree to disagree?

• Backroom

Hard to blame Duffy when 99.9% of players would make an instinctive decision to keep the ball out. I would question the resultant substitution, which I reckon was a wasted one. Lenihan could have gone to CH leaving Jackson on to keep some pace on the pitch.

I'd have simply taken Akpan off instead of Jackson.

Steele would have been proud with that save, agree to disagree?

If Steele had done that with the original shot we wouldn't be having this debate. Having an opinion and debating in the right manner are what this board should be about.

If Steele had done that with the original shot we wouldn't be having this debate. Having an opinion and debating in the right manner are what this board should be about.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting I'm not debating in the right manner? Duffy got it wrong, he's admitted so himself. I'm just a fan that turns up and contributes on here. Don't intend to upset people, not my intention.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting I'm not debating in the right manner? Duffy got it wrong, he's admitted so himself. I'm just a fan that turns up and contributes on here. Don't intend to upset people, not my intention.

On the contrary, I am saying its a good discussion and being done in the right manner. Apologies if you read it differently

• Backroom

Watt clearly signalled to the staff he was fine before the game, I presume this was after team sheet was signed and it would have been a sub to replace him at that point.

Sadly, couldn't make today's match owing to other commitments, however, have spoken to both Rovers and PNE friends who went.

Seems to me, Duffy committed footballing suicide. There is absolutely no excuse for what he did at that stage of the match. Good footballers keep cool heads and make sensible decisions in the heat of the battle. Those I've spoken with, on both sides, do not think Rovers would have lost with 11 on the field and in all likelihood, would have run out winners.

Also, poor decision on Watt who seems to have been clearly injured in the warm-up - a ricket by our much vaunted medics ?

Think this will pile more pressure on Lambert and co, especially with a difficult match coming up on Tuesday night at Sheffield.

Think we need to be prepared for anything now.

Watt clearly signalled to the staff he was fine before the game, I presume this was after team sheet was signed and it would have been a sub to replace him at that point.

The team sheet goes in an hour before kick off. He could have been replaced by a named substitute and a new substitute added to the team sheet.

i wasn't at the game today but i remember mike newell doing the same at wimbledon years ago

that day everybody(including myself) thought it was great and applauded him off the field

what's the difference with duffy doing it and why the completely different reaction from everyone?

Raya has a lot of promise, but instead of spending the season out on loan, gaining vital experience, he's sat on our bench- with Eastwood still around. Very strange.

Why not give him a game or two? Plenty of dead rubbers till May.

We aren't safe yet. :unsure:

Raya wasn't ready when Bowyer blooded him far too soon - and presumably a proviso of his new contract - what has he proven since? Absence makes the heart grow fonder?

We need an experienced keeper and loan Raya out to League One or a Championship team on a half season loan deal. He needs to get those mistakes out of his system. That said I still think he's far too young.

• Backroom

We aren't safe yet. :unsure:

Raya wasn't ready when Bowyer blooded him far too soon - and presumably a proviso of his new contract - what has he proven since? Absence makes the heart grow fonder?

We need an experienced keeper and loan Raya out to League One or a Championship team on a half season loan deal. He needs to get those mistakes out of his system. That said I still think he's far too young.

Couldn't agree more. If we're going to replace Steele it needs to be done properly, rather than reverting to a largely untested youngster again.

Why should any of the players in on loan give a flying one when push comes to shove? Therein lies part of the problem imo and you can't build a team consisting largely of loanees imo, the loan system should only be used sparingly to supplement the squad if you're short in a particular position or one particular player could make a massive difference on a temporary basis.

Have they no pride ? Have they no self respect ? Loan or full time the minute you step over that white line you need to do everything short of killing an opponent to win. Obviously there's a reason Big Sam wanted Gomez out at Sunderland, now we know what that reason was.

I'm not suggesting that Raya should be our keeper, just an observation that a promising young player has spent months sitting on the bench with Eastwood nowhere to be seen.

Surely a season in League 1/2 would have done a raw, young keeper the world of good.

Generally speaking Steele is not good enough. Not commanding, prone to mistakes, poor kicker.

I would imagine, like Souness did with Filan and Kelly, Lambert would love to ship him out and bring in a quality stopper- but his list will be long and the budget will be...

• Backroom

I'm not suggesting that Raya should be our keeper, just an observation that a promising young player has spent months sitting on the bench with Eastwood nowhere to be seen.

Surely a season in League 1/2 would have done a raw, young keeper the world of good.

Generally speaking Steele is not good enough. Not commanding, prone to mistakes, poor kicker.

I would imagine, like Souness did with Filan and Kelly, Lambert would love to ship him out and bring in a quality stopper- but his list will be long and the budget will be...

Definitely should have been loaned out. Can't imagine there wouldn't have been any takers. Strange, strange decision from Bowyer and then Lambert.

Archived