BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Protest Ideas...

Unless at least another 5000 or so buy tickets in JW stand this 1875 may not even get picked up.

Bodies through turnstyles to date including away fans has not hit 8000.

So all you can see on the new tv camera position is empty seats. If we say 10% will do this protest, based on historical protest numbers, attendees at open meetings, then work out there is 4 stands, you are potentially looking at 200 per stand.

With that in mind, the boycott is still the most significant sign of protest.

So how about a youtube channel, a you tube video with interviews from boycotters which can be released on the day or day before to the media which is actually tangible and can be clearly shown in the ground?

A simple 2 minute video with lots of fans saying "i am boycotting" you can get perhaps 100 fans to say those three words.

As soon as match comes on, any viewer of the match will have this boycott message in their mind , it will be biggest message and is not reliant on getting thousands to do 1875

The 1875 would of worked 4 years ago, however im not too sure now. I do think this needs a lot more thought as the TV game could come and go and bar the build up press release , it may look daft if visually in the ground for 90 minutes , its not actually seen too much. Remember the cameras are on the match, not the crowd

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1875 would of worked 4 years ago, however im not too sure now. I do think this needs a lot more thought as the TV game could come and go and bar the build up press release , it may look daft if visually in the ground for 90 minutes , its not actually seen too much. Remember the cameras are on the match, not the crowd

A big part of the 18/75 day Glen will be the whistles. Any delays in the game (hopefully loads) will get media coverage and that's what we want.

A big part of the 18/75 day Glen will be the whistles. Any delays in the game (hopefully loads) will get media coverage and that's what we want.

That is the way forward in my opinion Mark. Disruption of the game would, I believe attract global coverage particularly a live TV game. Whenever somebody blew a whistle from the terraces or outside the ground when I was refereeing it came over loud and clear on the pitch and caused confusion. It takes very little organising and would be organic. Sometimes the most simple of ideas are the most productive.

Whistles and some form of inflatables wazzed on the pitch would probably have most visual impact. Done by Charlton of course but it did the job and there must be a reason they went down that route.

Blackpool fans were basically allowed to walk on the pitch for their protest but fair play to them as they were suppose to leave after 10 mins but they didn't. No chance of being allowed on at Ewood.

As for the stuff in the stands it really needs a focal point like the BBE and try to encourage everyone to go in there, relocate for one game or whatever. Get 3.5k in that area then half walking in on 17mins and half walking out on 75 will have an impact on camera rather than a few hundred which will hardly be noticed. Also congregate in the far corner to chant & hold banners during the game similar to the kean out stuff.

Unless at least another 5000 or so buy tickets in JW stand this 1875 may not even get picked up.

Bodies through turnstyles to date including away fans has not hit 8000.

So all you can see on the new tv camera position is empty seats. If we say 10% will do this protest, based on historical protest numbers, attendees at open meetings, then work out there is 4 stands, you are potentially looking at 200 per stand.

With that in mind, the boycott is still the most significant sign of protest.

So how about a youtube channel, a you tube video with interviews from boycotters which can be released on the day or day before to the media which is actually tangible and can be clearly shown in the ground?

A simple 2 minute video with lots of fans saying "i am boycotting" you can get perhaps 100 fans to say those three words.

As soon as match comes on, any viewer of the match will have this boycott message in their mind , it will be biggest message and is not reliant on getting thousands to do 1875

Well, Glen, some good points here. You certainly don't need to be on any committee to use your ideas and knowledge. Actually, I think it rather frees you up.

A bit like Jimmy Hill, who was still worried by "that Keeley tackle", I am still worried about the Shebby substitution text LOL

Lets see if we can drag the game out to two hours.

We can hold a sweep on the eventual finishing time. Raise some money for the cause.

I woke up this morning thinking the whistles are potentially genius.

Here we have a multi billion pound industry whose integrity comes down to a simple referee's whistle.

Those whistles must be blown relentlessly to stop play.

If the conditions deem that the game becomes unplayable then the referee can choose to abandon the game.

Now that would cause a ripple!!!!

It is very possible.

No way I can see stewards sifting through fans trying to confiscate whistles.

No need for fans on the pitch. We must never go down that route.

If the game is abandoned on sky in front of watching worldwide audience there will be repercussions for the club. Probably a fine and maybe play behind closed doors?

One in the eye for venkys and one in the eye for the ostriches.

Operation get the match abandoned...

It will take a lot to get the match abandoned, Andy.

Charlton cause lots of problems for the ref with their whistle and beachball protest - and the game carried on.

Laughably some on here point at me as though my comments could feed disunity (whilst at the same time reverently and contradictorily explaining that this messageboard is only a small minority of fans :wacko: )

Causing stoppages to the game will certainly force certain posters (who can't be named lest it upsets folk) to turn against the protests completely.

For some, the performance and to a lesser extent the result, are the beginning, the middle and the end of everything happening at Rovers. Even in the current climate.

Yes, draw attention to the fact that fans are leaving en masse on 75, but to try to affect play will be counterproductive, will alienate the hardcore, and will not work.

It will take a lot to get the match abandoned, Andy.

Charlton cause lots of problems for the ref with their whistle and beachball protest - and the game carried on.

Laughably some on here point at me as though my comments could feed disunity (whilst at the same time reverently and contradictorily explaining that this messageboard is only a small minority of fans :wacko: )

Causing stoppages to the game will certainly force certain posters (who can't be named lest it upsets folk) to turn against the protests completely.

For some, the performance and to a lesser extent the result, are the beginning, the middle and the end of everything happening at Rovers. Even in the current climate.

Yes, draw attention to the fact that fans are leaving en masse on 75, but to try to affect play will be counterproductive, will alienate the hardcore, and will not work.

I believe that disruption to the game is just what we need to attract global publicity. After the recent articles in the Indian press something like this will take it up another notch. Like you though I can't see the game being abandoned. And I really don't care what the 'get behind the team' element think, if they really think the result is more important than something that might help get shut of the Indians it says more about them than the protesters.

If say 20% of the crowd comply with the 18/75 initiative I don't think it will have much effect. If 20% of the crowd have whistles (and more outside) the effect would be telling.

I believe that disruption to the game is just what we need to attract global publicity. After the recent articles in the Indian press something like this will take it up another notch. Like you though I can't see the game being abandoned. And I really don't care what the 'get behind the team' element think, if they really think the result is more important than something that might help get shut of the Indians it says more about them than the protesters.

If say 20% of the crowd comply with the 18/75 initiative I don't think it will have much effect. If 20% of the crowd have whistles (and more outside) the effect would be telling.

20% of 8000 is 1600. Aspirational.

Riverside and JW upper cant be seen by cameras. So its down to the portion in the DE and BBE to be noticed leaving....

Whistles from any part of the ground is disruptive and effective.

Objects on the pitch.

Fans stood at the front with banners getting the stewards worried.

Disruption of a sky game will bring more attention

Hence the need of a private area to discuss things

I won't discuss the taxi thing here but let's say not ONE person from WAR has been in touch .

I do think this is a key problem. Any form of action or movement in any walk of life comes down to market research.

I recall a number of times putting questions to the many board of directors this club have had, which although I did not agree with the question being put forward, I debated it as passionately as the person who had put it forward.

Its very hard in any organisation, because you tend to get the, we or I dont agree with that course of action , which ultimately leads to it being dismissed.

Any movement should be lead by the supporters, to ignore them, makes a difficult task even harder.

I read on Trust thread , their approach is professional and corporate??? What does that even mean???

What gives them this "we are the answer" approach?

Supporters come from all different backgrounds and each and every opinion is important as the next. Some people do prefer an open transparent path which is spelt out in layman terms, rather than flossed up as a corporate machine.

I do think a full on effort needs to be worked on to find credible owners with the finances to fund the club.

If venkys pull plug today, no one really knows how much the damage is, RE money to be found to buy club, what debt is being inherited, what money is needed just to see season out.

Seneca have an interest, but as Battersby has said when I have spoken to him. The figures need to stack up, they wont just take on anything if its not viable.

The trust have £12k and in all due respect if the pledges were £3 million , then id be shocked if 25% actually followed through with those pledges.

The open meeting , showed too many that there was a distinct lack of knowledge, ideas and direction.

As a person who negotiates multi million pound deals weekly with success, looking on it was too adhoc and lacked any clear goals or path.

There was no wipe boards, no flip charts, no mind maps, no clear tools for engaging the thought process of the stakeholders in the room.

I still don't know what we are all being asked to rally around? This needs to be addressed,

People will follow when shown the path, but at present its all too quiet and peoples appetites are not being wetted.

Point being, the Charlton match wasn't abandoned. Which was in response to the point Andy made.

I still don't know what we are all being asked to rally around? This needs to be addressed,

People will follow when shown the path, but at present its all too quiet and peoples appetites are not being wetted.

Exactly Glen and is the same for many others

For me it has always been the case of getting a game abandoned or disrupted ( on TV or not) as the FA would then have to get involved more, but has to be as a collective down to the pure nature of individuals getting 'picked off' easily and having to much to lose in these times by way of receiving a criminal conviction or similar which has been mentioned on here previously.

With Abbey in that it has to be contrived away from the MB though - TV game is an advantage though not essential as it would certainly become a talking point and as mentioned drag the FA into it like it or not.

I just hope that all the talk actually materializes into something, it certainly feels like we have more momentum this time around.

I thought the Reading game last season would see mass protest after what had happened with Lambert, but hardly a dissenting voice on the day which was really disappointing.

The Wigan game in the relegation season was a stadium on edge, anger in all 4 stands, people really p1ssed off, we need to get to that stage again and then anything is possible.

There was no wipe boards, no flip charts, no mind maps, no clear tools for engaging the thought process of the stakeholders in the room.

I was unable to attend the Blakey's meeting but am not too sure I would have liked to have encountered all the above if I had....it sounds too much like the flossing of a corporate machine to me!

Glen, you seem to be of the belief that for progress to be made the Rovers fanbase needs to be strongly led, rather than the current collective, collaborative (more ineffectual?) approach as at present and I have some sympathy with this view.

Direction is needed.

Many on here seem to want you to provide them with this...with your past BRAG experience, might you not reconcile with the WAR party and lead the Rovers fan vanguard that is required in these testing times?

I was unable to attend the Blakey's meeting but am not too sure I would have liked to have encountered all the above if I had....it sounds too much like the flossing of a corporate machine to me!

Glen, you seem to be of the belief that for progress to be made the Rovers fanbase needs to be strongly led, rather than the current collective, collaborative (more ineffectual?) approach as at present and I have some sympathy with this view.

Direction is needed.

Many on here seem to want you to provide them with this...with your past BRAG experience, might you not reconcile with the WAR party and lead the Rovers fan vanguard that is required in these testing times?

Im of the opinon , if people are out there better positioned to take this forward, then a panel needs to be formed with a direct mandate from the supporters of blackburn rovers, which is clear and precise.

I would always chuck my hat in the ring to be part of any such panel, but im also big enough to step aside if people are better positioned than I, which ultimately should be the supporters who decide who and how this taken to a conclusion

If a panel is formed then the passing of the baton needs to be made if this gives us the best chance of success. Supporters need hope, a light at the end of the tunnel and a panel working for them to reach a common goal, which is a well run club, which can compete financially and be around for decades to come.

I need to be clear, I witnessed a few people at the supporters meeting sat in the crowd, who were hungry, fresh and had lots of fight in them. These type of people need to be embraced and encouraged. If that means not being involved, im happy to not be, but I think others need to also be willing to step aside too.

I will always offer support and help as I have continued to do so in the background with other supporters who are currently doing some excellent things to broach the mess from different angles.

One thing I think everyone can agree on, is we all love the club, and the time put in, including those in the groups is time which is appreciated

I have no doubt that the WAR group has the best of intentions and really wants to bring about change, but I also get the feeling one or two are looking further afield to when Venkys have finally gone, and a clear conflict of interest already exists even at this early stage.

WAR is going to coexist regardless of what the rest of the fan base decide to do and I think thats being lost in translation. If you want to burn effigies of Balaji on the hill at the back of The Riverside then do it, if you want to sit in the center circle and protest then do it.

Its taken so long for any meaningful action to be discussed by all the supporters groups, to lambast individuals for taking direct action would be a major own goal in my opinion, so just do what you think is right.

A good mix of debate and direct action is whats needed.

I've a terrible feeling though GAV by the time of the Wolves game, still 7 weeks away, much of the impetus built up in the last fortnight will have been diluted or even disappeared.

It's too long to wait.

I need to be clear, I witnessed a few people at the supporters meeting sat in the crowd, who were hungry, fresh and had lots of fight in them. These type of people need to be embraced and encouraged. If that means not being involved, im happy to not be, but I think others need to also be willing to step aside too.

I will always offer support and help as I have continued to do so in the background with other supporters who are currently doing some excellent things to broach the mess from different angles.

One thing I think everyone can agree on, is we all love the club, and the time put in, including those in the groups is time which is appreciated

Far to many people with preconceived ideas are involved currently, I couldn't agree more, the campaign needs new blood, new ideas and new impetus.

I think you still bring plenty to the table Glen and should remain involved, but some have sat through far to many meetings with club officials over the past 5yrs for my liking, and these are the ones that need to take a back seat and let new blood take over if available.

I have nothing but respect for the work they've done, but its time to move aside and let some new blood have a go.

I've a terrible feeling though GAV by the time of the Wolves game, still 7 weeks away, much of the impetus built up in the last fortnight will have been diluted or even disappeared.

It's too long to wait.

Yes I was just saying the same to debs, gives the club far to much time to prepare also, but what can we don?

It's too long to wait.

I can see both sides of this. On the one hand there are still a lot of fans who do not seem to know what we are even protesting about. ('Who's Ken Taro?"). So the time between the meeting and the match needs to be about education. That's 4 games to educate people.

Ironically (as Rovers fans) the enemy here is a run without losses. All wins and you can put to bed a majority. All losses, with Coyle not brought to book, and temporary feelings will run high. A mixture of mediocre results is most likely which means the impetus will have to come from fans. The trouble is, without any TV coverage nobody will hear a thing.

It may give the club time to plan. I expect stewarding of biblical proportions, for instance. But it also gives WAR time to plan. The details of the the documents (which I assume is now 'the dossier' coming to light) need to be spread further.

It's awful to say it but we probably need a really bad run. It's like Kean all over again.

Do you have any suggestions Paul about what could be done in the interim?

Archived