• Billy Davies
    • Keith Hill
    • Alan Stubbs
    • Gareth Ainsworth
    • Alan Irvine
    • Paul Jewell
    • Phil Parkinson
    • Uwe Rosler

As quoted on that laughable job spec, 'profitability' seems to be their new approach (6 months after their new approach was hiring a manager like Lambert with the promise of funds).

Surely Cheston as a finance man would be saying to the owners that there is no way on Earth a club with our infrastructure and outgoings can be competitive at Championship level trying to be 'profitable'- and I suppose I've just answered my own question, of course he isn't saying that, so get ready for the stripped down, 'profitable' League 1/2 BRFC.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warren Joyce is highly regarded at Manchester United, he is a good coach. He has not managed a club for a long time though. Probably looking at Blackburn as a stepping stone into management. He played for Burnley in the mid-1990's and scored in the Play-Off Semi Final at Plymouth. He left after the Burnley were relegated after one season and went on to become player manager for Hull City where he was quite successful.

With a tight budget, he might be a good shout because he is excellent at developing players.

But he'll know very little about assembling and turning out a team to survive in this division. It's proven that youth coaches rarely do, not just at Rovers but given the situation we are in it's a ridiculous risk.

Warren Joyce, imo, would be a fine choice.

What he achieved at Hull way back when was remarkable. He is a seasoned veteran, yes his managerial experience is small, but do not let that put you off.

You don't work for Manchester United as a youth team manager, a club which has a proud history of developing talent, without possessing something.

He is in the mould of a Big Sam type, he likes to rough things up when needed, and for me will take no prisoners in an attempt at going for the play-offs next season.

That said, I still want Neil Warnock....

You could say that you don't get to be assistant manager to Alex Ferguson without possessing something but Kidd was effing hopeless.

Sorry rover11, just seen your post. Great minds eh?!!

But he'll know very little about assembling and turning out a team to survive in this division. It's proven that youth coaches rarely do, not just at Rovers but given the situation we are in it's a ridiculous risk.

It's a good point tomphil, but with Billy Davis, Neil Warnock and Joyce in the frame, there are already sound enough replacements for Lambert given the situation, I think.

Trading at a profit has always been Desai's favoured option. In her rare interviews its clear that is what she believes in. Kean facilitated the sales of our top players like Nzonzi, Samba etc. and replaced them with cheaper dross, saving her some money. Bowyer delivered massive profits on minimal outlays in the transfer market.

For some reason someone, either Balaji or Pasha, persuaded her to agree to sack Bowyer and appoint Lambert, presumably telling her that we needed a proven manager to get promoted and that this could be done with minimal investment. Now we've come full circle, she's back in control and wants a development coach again.

Its all very romantic that good old Blackburn Rovers can be a development school for young coaches and players to learn their trade before moving on to bigger and better things elsewhere whilst the club survives off the profits. Unfortunately it isn't a recipe for success. Infact its a recipe for failure. This isn't the 1960s or 70s anymore. At the very best we'll tread water in the Championship, more likely end up in League One.

No other Championship club relies on this fanciful structure. Its out of date and incompatible in todays world of immediate results and success. The reason being that the money on offer from promotion vastly outweighs the rewards of player development and so every other club gambles on achieving the former. The only club that comes close is Brentford who have an extensive network of European scouts and recruit good young players from across the continent and then sell on at massive profits. We don't have anywhere near the background structure that Brentford have. We have an old school manager system where the manager is the central figure who runs the whole show. If we had a foreign head coach structure then the club could focus on longer term player development whilst changing head coaches with minimal disruption.

Well this leak has obviously come from the Manchester end. The journalist, Mark Druker, used to work for the MEN.

Without writing Joyce off because no one knows how he would fare, if it's true then the big picture behind Venkys thinking suggests their real beliefs lie behind doing everything on the cheap. It suggests that they still believe they fervently hope some academy coach can turn around the club. It's a real worry.

Looking at Joyce's Wiki profile, there's nothing there to base any real hopes on. He had success as a player manager at fourth division Hull City. They were on the verge of relegation out of the football league. Then they sacked him. Two years at Royal Antwerp before leaving to manage Man Utds reserves. He's never managed above fourth division level, never had any experience of having to rebuild a squad and never been involved in any way at championship level.

You just have to wonder and ask why?

Son of ex rover Walter Joyce.

Agree with your comments and sentiments. What worries me is; James Ducker (ex of The Times too) has really credible links to MUFC, and I'd see this as a factual story and a genuine approach.

If they do go that route then it's pretty irrelevant if we are in the championship or league 1 to them imo. The income won't be much different after another drop as it's very small anyway yet the cost base slashing and saving could be massive. Especially paying young players about 3 grand pwk in league 1.

If you were advising a profitable model that may be what you'd say.

As quoted on that laughable job spec, 'profitability' seems to be their new approach (6 months after their new approach was hiring a manager like Lambert with the promise of funds).

Surely Cheston as a finance man would be saying to the owners that there is no way on Earth a club with our infrastructure and outgoings can be competitive at Championship level trying to be 'profitable'- and I suppose I've just answered my own question, of course he isn't saying that, so get ready for the stripped down, 'profitable' League 1/2 BRFC.

What an horrific thought.

It's akin to learning that we are 6 years into a Venkys 20-year plan.

If the can't get rich quick through a risky promotion bid then the could aim to turn the club into a club to be self-sustainable on the lower leagues.

The problem with that approach is that they would not make much money, even with a Crewe-esque model of developing players to turn a profit (negated anyway when you bin youth players for nothing), and loanees and journeymen don't turn a profit.

This would mean trying each year to make enough money to cover the annual repayment plus fees and never reduce the debt.

I can only conclude that there is no plan and they have some vague notion that cheaper is better.

Hi All,

Okay, I have had a reply from Mr Suhail Pasha Sheikh and I have also had some communications with Rob Gill, I am hoping that a meeting will be arranged at some point over the coming week. Now I want to get accross some of the frustrations of the fans (sensible I don't want to p**s on my own chips here) and want to know what kind of questions you as fans would like to be answered. I have asked about the possibility of meeting someone from or in India, this is being considered I hope.

Hi All,

Okay, I have had a reply from Mr Suhail Pasha Sheikh and I have also had some communications with Rob Gill, I am hoping that a meeting will be arranged at some point over the coming week. Now I want to get accross some of the frustrations of the fans (sensible I don't want to p**s on my own chips here) and want to know what kind of questions you as fans would like to be answered. I have asked about the possibility of meeting someone from or in India, this is being considered I hope.

There is only one for me ads - and this is serious

When are they leaving?

Hi All,

With the club still running at a considerable loss, what plans do the owners have to turn this around?

Where do the owners see the club in 1yr/2yrs/3yrs etc.

Do the owners intend to write-off the 100m debt?

I can see it being Joyce, unless he doesn't fancy being a manager and would prefer to remain in his comfortable position at United. I would also assume that if its reached the stage of a formal approach then he has already given them an indication and they know his terms. He would almost certainly work with Irvine and Kelly too.

I expected them to surprise us all with a name that hadn't been mentioned anywhere. When I woke up this morning I thought it might be a sensible choice in Billy Davies. Now it appears that once again sense has not been applied in this managerial 'search'.

A lot of people will be 'won over' by this appointment by virtue of him coming from Manchester United (so he must be good) and some sort of hope that he will be able to bring in United's promising young players. Why not just go the whole hog and call ourselves Man Utd B if that's what we want to do.

They've ground our expectations into dust so much that after hearing about Neil Redfearn and Craig Hignett for the last 2 weeks that many will welcome someone like Joyce as an alternative. Despite the fact that he's not a manager and has done nothing in his career to qualify him for the job.

If they do go that route then it's pretty irrelevant if we are in the championship or league 1 to them imo. The income won't be much different after another drop as it's very small anyway yet the cost base slashing and saving could be massive. Especially paying young players about 3 grand pwk in league 1.

If you were advising a profitable model that may be what you'd say.

It's a mainly futile and doomed premise (profitability) unless a club is able to invest huge resources in scouting and high calibre Academy coaches.

Even if Venkys continue to plough money in to a bottomless pit, in the sheer hope of selling on a star player, it is still a gamble.

Gamblers is all they are! :(

Speaking of which, 4-1 ODDS on Warren Joyce, I assume the owners are lumping on that!

At the last home game of the season i was ear-wigging somebody else's conversation and 1 Guy was adamant Ryan Giggs would be our next manager ( i posted something along these lines in the older thread ) i never believed it and i still don't , but could a move for Joyce , and in light of stories today saying Giggs could leave when/if Mourinho get the Utd job ,mean he could be coming here too ?? and where would that leave Irvine and Kelly ?

At the last home game of the season i was ear-wigging somebody else's conversation and 1 Guy was adamant Ryan Giggs would be our next manager ( i posted something along these lines in the older thread ) i never believed it and i still don't , but could a move for Joyce , and in light of stories today saying Giggs could leave when/if Mourinho get the Utd job ,mean he could be coming here too ?? and where would that leave Irvine and Kelly ?

That would make more sense tbh.

This gets worse and anyway why would Giggs come to this place when he's been at United for donkeys years? If they don't go for experience I won't be renewing my season ticket

Archived