• Billy Davies
    • Keith Hill
    • Alan Stubbs
    • Gareth Ainsworth
    • Alan Irvine
    • Paul Jewell
    • Phil Parkinson
    • Uwe Rosler

If it's down to a choice between Colin and Billy I'd be bloody delighted given the names touted about.

However if it's Slade, Redfearn and Hill (although I believe he's not in the running) I'll be fuming.

I suppose it's all elementary really, they'll have done something catastrophic (see what I did there) by the time his first week is out.

cat as assistant manager

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

won't Rob Gill(head of media and communications now) do the press conference with Rovers presenting the new manager and no body else from the club like we did when we appointed Michael Appleton?

I would rather give Irvine the manager job then some of the names that has be mention on this potential shortlist of 4

I thought that. maybe

Is Rob Gill permanent Head of Communications, Chaddy ?

Blimey! we are down-sizing!

I'd be tempted to risk Irvine too. And that condemns the shortlist still further.

Billy Davies. I'd rather not. But... AGAIN... he's a better option than Slade, Redfearn etc...

Davies has been my first choice for the position from the start.

I agree though that this article has a whiff of him and his friends putting it about in the media that he's available and ready for work. He's been out now for 2 years since Forest and really needs to get a job this summer to avoid becoming a 'forgotten man' like Curbishley did. He's probably seen the number of jobs available recently - Rovers, Cardiff, Forest, Villa, Rotherham, Leeds, Derby - and is doing this to try and spur one of them into making a move for him. Obviously the Cardiff job is now taken and he wont get the Villa, Forest or Derby jobs so we would have a good chance if we wanted him.

If he's willing to join, which the article certainly suggests he is (even making reference to clubs languishing in the bottom half of the Championship) then we should be all over it. He's just about the only sensible option that I would want over Warnock, by virtue that Davies could last a few seasons rather than just the one.

His record is outstanding in the Championship. Like Warnock he would at the very least assure us of survival next season, and if backed properly would see us push for the play-offs. I'd much prefer someone like that to come in and if he wasn't happy with the owners then say so, rather than appoint some Venky stooge who will gratefully accept the job and remain in place for 2-3 years whilst filling our heads with pro-Venky rubbish.

However unlike Warnock I don't think he's in talks or held any talks with Rovers. I think this is a 'come and get me' message from Davies, presumably worried that he is being overlooked for the jobs and wants to remind everyone he's still there and has a very good record. However the people running this managerial 'search' clearly have a set agenda to fulfil, and I bet they've never even heard of Davies, let alone considered him for the role.

Davies is saying 'come and get me' and yet we're linked with Hignett, Hill, Stubbs and Redfearn. Ridiculous

Davies I have always rated as a manager my opinion on him changed when he did a fairly hard hitting interview on bbc Scotland were he said dark forces and a whispering campaign kept him out of work some it is covered here, he sounded very paranoid but then again I don't know the ins ands outs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35780942

That said I would still have him over all the other managers linked ( Hill aside who isn't in the running anymore )

Thought the font of all knowledge and exclusives sky (along with talkshyte) had reported we were close to signing Warnock last week!!

I'm starting to believe that the whole thing last week with Warnock was a carefully timed stunt from the club to coincide with season tickets going on sale.

Isn't it all an amazing coincidence. Season tickets finally went on sale last Friday. On Thursday/Friday we had the statement from the club about appointing a new staff member to manage the link to the owners (strangely advertised on the club website and later found that the job requirements include being fluent in Hindi and Marathi), we also had the statement updating everyone about the managerial search specifically referring to 4 candidates with interviews underway, we also had the snowballing rumours about Warnock being imminent (which started with Sky Sports).

Beyond those 3 events and the release of season tickets within the space of 3 days we've had nothing from the club for months.

With the relocation of the existing JW lower BBurn End season ticket holders and the Family Stand season ticket holders it is inevitable that there will be a bigger than usual take up on the opening days of sales.

With so many people being asked to move from their usual seats, there will be a rush of those wanting to secure the 'best' seats for themselves in the new areas, whereas if they were staying in their old seats they would have until July to do this.

Interestingly I went on the Rovers season ticket page on their website yesterday and the whole Blackburn End of the Jack Walker Lower Tier is unavailable. Presumably this is just until those Family Stand people have had the option to chose their new seats and standard adults like myself can't move there until they have had chance to pick the best seats?

I would also imagine that Davies moves in similar circles in the Glasgow area to Paul Lambert, and would probably speak to him about the job.

Nixon is also saying that there's 'nothing in' Davies getting the job and presumably he's connected to him.

I'm gearing myself up for another week or more of waiting and then extreme disappointment when we end up with Alan Stubbs or Neil Redfearn whilst overlooking Warnock and Davies and watching League One Charlton land a better manager than we do.

I would also imagine that Davies moves in similar circles in the Glasgow area to Paul Lambert, and would probably speak to him about the job.

Nixon is also saying that there's 'nothing in' Davies getting the job and presumably he's connected to him.

I'm gearing myself up for another week or more of waiting and then extreme disappointment when we end up with Alan Stubbs or Neil Redfearn whilst overlooking Warnock and Davies and watching League One Charlton land a better manager than we do.

The Davies LET link seemed tenuous and just a case of filling column inches, in my view.

Nixon will have sources close to Davies, and if he says not happening, I'd trust him.

I think the board have chosen redfearn as their 1st choice and its now down to the owners to decide

Herein lies the problem.

'The board' i.e. Mike Cheston, has already made clear the preferred criteria for the new man - he needs to be cheap, work to a tight budget, concentrate on developing our younger players, and be happy to work alongside Alan Irvine and Rob Kelly. It would therefore be no surprise at all if Cheston was recommending an appointment like Redfearn, as he ticks all those boxes. Why would Cheston recommend Neil Warnock on those criteria?

Why do Venkys then have to have final say on the appointment? What's the point in paying people like Cheston to oversee a managerial selection process and interviews if they have to authorise any appointment? What do they know about appointing the best man for the job.

I fully expect a Redfearn level appointment and the club will get what they deserve when season ticket sales plummet as a result.

This is interesting...

Hill wants the job but has not been contacted. Rovers dont bother.

Slade has just moved higher up at Cardiff and dont think Rovers are interested.

Redfearn, dont know where this come from.... surely not on Rovers hit list, think some journos made it up.

Now Davies emerged but has he been contacted or does he want to be contacted, strange interview.... I think they are working behind the scenes on this so could be a total surprise. But Warnock very much in frame but we will see....

Archived