BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Just now, jim mk2 said:

He's got "Premier League manager" on his CV. You're an internet nobody who was "physically ill" when Mowbray was appointed. Enough said.  

OMFG.

Just take a step back, breathe and engage brain, you are defending Steve Kean as a Premier League manager!

In your bid to get one-up and somehow try to embarrass me, you've made an absolute arse of yourself.

Enough said indeed! :lol:

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 47er said:

Whatever anyone thinks of Lowe as a player, it is crazy to allow him to fall out of contract and go for free in the summer.

Venkys are their own ( and our) worst enemy.

After nearly seven years they still have not got round to working out this contract stuff!

Same goes re Connor Mahoney. 

If Mercerman is right (yes, I heard it!) then ever player renewing can expect a 40% pay drop. Why would they sign? If Venkys are reducing our costs so as to limit their exposure to the absolute minimum, we are definitely the next Blackpool.

Just now, Stuart said:

OMFG.

Just take a step back, breathe and engage brain, you are defending Steve Kean as a Premier League manager!

In your bid to get one-up and somehow try to embarrass me, you've made an absolute arse of yourself.

Enough said indeed! :lol:

You started it dear boy by refusing to let anyone praise Jason Lowe without sticking your oar in.

There's only one person who was "physically sick" when Mowbray was appointed so I don't need any lessons in embarrassment thanks.

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Where is all this 40% cut stuff coming from. I've not seen or heard anything. Anyone got links to the story

Nixon - yes i know - said a few weeks ago Venkys wanted as much as 10 mill off the wage bill in summer. Cast iron certainty to drop next season if that's the case no matter who's in charge. Farcical or sheer desperation.

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

You started it dear boy by refusing to let anyone praise Jason Lowe without sticking your oar in.

There's only one person who was "physically sick" when Mowbray was appointed so I don't need any lessons in embarrassment thanks.

Say it again Jim, go on. Even now, you are still quoting me wrong, "dear boy".

I'm afraid you do need educating though. Championing Kean is about the lowest you've gone, such is your bitterness. 

Plank.

Lowe has gone backwards over the last few years.  I think he's been coached poorly and his mentality now if full of fear.  His decision making is slow and always safety first which results in him playing backwards and sideways more often than he needs to, slowing us down and missing chances to attack.  I have no problem with possession based football and knocking it around the back, I just think Lowe does it when it's not the best option.  His touch is also poor for a central midfielder and with us trying to knock it about more he slows us down.  He works hard and has done alright in the last few games but I'm sure there are better options.  A lot of the above could be applied to Akpan too.

He was poor at right back earlier in the season, ina poor team it's true, but his position was often suspect.

I think Mowbray will continue to pick him for now as he has done okay in the last few games on the whole adding a bit more a bit more aggression, also his pressing was important after Joao and Mahoney came on against Fulham, most of all though it will be because we lack better known options.

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Say it again Jim, go on. Even now, you are still quoting me wrong, "dear boy".

I'm afraid you do need educating though. Championing Kean is about the lowest you've gone, such is your bitterness. 

Plank.

You said it dear boy, and it caused much amusement on here :lol:

And it looks increasingly stupid as Mowbray gets us out of trouble.

Plank (your word by the way)

The only difference between Lowe and akpan is at least akpan carries a goal threat yet still Captain fantastic starts week in week out

Go look at Tonyoz's analysis for our last game and get back to me on that ;) 

All this stuff about Lowe is pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things. If he was as good as Jim Mk2 thinks then someone would've offered a few mill for him ages ago and like our other actually decent players he'd have gone. Failing that then with his contract situ he'd have got the Marshall treatment in the last window whilst they rinsed at least a few quid out of him.

But he isn't very good so that hasn't happened and the likelyhood is he'll leave here in summer because he'll be able to get a couple of grand per week more at another champ club or he'll represent a cheap punt for a place on the bench at a struggling badly run Prem club.

Just now, tomphil said:

All this stuff about Lowe is pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things. If he was as good as Jim Mk2 thinks then someone would've offered a few mill for him ages ago and like our other actually decent players he'd have gone. Failing that then with his contract situ he'd have got the Marshall treatment in the last window whilst they rinsed at least a few quid out of him.

But he isn't very good so that hasn't happened and the likelyhood is he'll leave here in summer because he'll be able to get a couple of grand per week more at another champ club or he'll represent a cheap punt for a place on the bench at a struggling badly run Prem club.

Great analysis sadly you haven't factored in a rovers fans analysis of how well he played at Fulham a few days ago. I hope his agent has a copy come july

I don't need stats and analysis I've got eyes. He could play 200 more passes and run 50 miles a game if them passes are to the goalie and he is sprinting after his own mistakes means nothing. I know what I see

Quite a simplistic example. The point is he makes more of a difference than he is given credit for IMO, I know what I see!

Old ground that doesn't need going over, but when we all know which way the budgets are going, keeping hold of experienced players and/or replacing them looks unlikely. I will not be happy to see ANOTHER player leave to be replaced by a loan, a graduate or someone from a different position!

Just now, Jbizzle said:

Quite a simplistic example. The point is he makes more of a difference than he is given credit for IMO, I know what I see!

Old ground that doesn't need going over, but when we all know which way the budgets are going, keeping hold of experienced players and/or replacing them looks unlikely. I will not be happy to see ANOTHER player leave to be replaced by a loan, a graduate or someone from a different position!

Whilst we agree to disagree on lowe I can't disagree with your last sentence regarding loans and people being played out of position. I would be seriously tempted see how Tomlinson looks pre season though purly because Lowe has peaked and imo won't get any better. Factor his wages in and I'm sure Tomlinson can reach the level he's at in no time and eventually surpass him

Whilst we agree to disagree on lowe I can't disagree with your last sentence regarding loans and people being played out of position. I would be seriously tempted see how Tomlinson looks pre season though purly because Lowe has peaked and imo won't get any better. Factor his wages in and I'm sure Tomlinson can reach the level he's at in no time and eventually surpass him

I like the look of Tomlinson from fleeting moments but surely he, and others of this age need time to be introduced slowly, not thrust into the team by default. Credit to Nyambe for swimming in that scenario though. Lenihan and Raya had some previous lower league experience, I think Mahoney would've benefitted from more. Tomlinson, Rankin Costello, Travis et al would be risky first team choices imo, I chose Willem as he is a centre midfielder like Lowe.

If we have another summer like the last one, shedding the last bits of quality (which despite disagreeing, Lowe, Evans amongst others is that aspect) and replacing with u18 loans, a couple of free crocks and greenhorns from Brochall, then we will be down next season Mowbray or Mourinho.

Just now, Jbizzle said:

I like the look of Tomlinson from fleeting moments but surely he, and others of this age need time to be introduced slowly, not thrust into the team by default. Credit to Nyambe for swimming in that scenario though. Lenihan and Raya had some previous lower league experience, I think Mahoney would've benefitted from more. Tomlinson, Rankin Costello, Travis et al would be risky first team choices imo, I chose Willem as he is a centre midfielder like Lowe.

If we have another summer like the last one, shedding the last bits of quality (which despite disagreeing, Lowe, Evans amongst others is that aspect) and replacing with u18 loans, a couple of free crocks and greenhorns from Brochall, then we will be down next season Mowbray or Mourinho.

Unfortunately the scenario you depict in your last sentence is almost certainly what will happen. That tempers my enthusiasm for the current revival in our fortunes.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Akpan linked with MLS

Mahoney rejected 3k a week deal. Isnt that what he was after at the start. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3233374/swansea-city-boss-paul-clement-eyeing-up-a-summer-swoop-for-psv-star-santiago-arias/

You left this bit off underneath:

BARNSLEY are ready to pick up Welsh youth international left back Ben Williams from Blackburn.

Paul Heckingbottom is swooping for Williams, 18, after Rovers decided against signing him as a pro.

Williams had played for Preston when he was younger and Rovers would have had to pay compensation for him. Barnsley can sign him for free.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Isnt Doyle the better choice? 

Have you seen Williams play?

Neither. But we look like we can't even pay compo for a 18 year old in the academy.

Doyle with first team so Williams would get games u21/u18 level right?

Archived