BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe its just me and my hopes for loyalty then, but I know of some footballers who has come out and said that they wouldnt play for their rivals. Could you imagine Maldini playing for Inter? Totti for Lazio? or Scholes for City? Obviously this is different but Im just saying that maybe you arent a massive fan if you would consider joining the arch rivals.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Just for the record I said He needs to play for a manager/head coach who will develop him and play him. No point sitting on the bench or playing in the under 23's Like I think he will if he signs for Burnley. I think he should listen to Mowbray advice and sign here for his club

Preston style would suit him? really?

Preston style?

They try to play football and footballed Rovets off the park for first half hour at Ewood. 

You need to face facts Chaddy, he's almost certainly off and what you post on here about him (Burnley & Dyche, PNE style etc) will not make a scrap of difference. 

Easy to say as you'll never have to make the choice.  if he signs for PNE it just shows how low we are, you would have to go back a long way to find a time when they were a more desirable option than us.  Burnley is another matter with them being in the PL.  Hope he stays but wouldn't blame him for having a crack at it if a good opportunity came along.

Just now, DanielMB said:

dont think so. Its been reported more than once that he is a big Rovers fan. If I had a choice of Rovers or a 15 % raise at a club I dislike Im pretty sure I know what the answer is.

Incredibly naive 

What % of footballers play for the club they were / are a fan of!

It's all about development potential, ambition and money.  Think it would be madness to stay at our 3rd rate club.  Whether we like it or not, likes of Burnley, PNE and even Barnsley are now streets ahead of Rovets.

We have to remember that Connor Mahoney will have advisors/agents who will be thinking about the best deal financially - that means more money for them.

They will almost certainly be advising the lad to leave Rovers. He will have the final say and will probably be devastated to leave but, at his age, it will be hard to ignore what these very persuasive people will be telling him.

Why sign a 3 or 4 year contract with a club where the financial director admits that administration is a possibility given their current situation

19 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Preston style?

They try to play football and footballed Rovets off the park for first half hour at Ewood.  

First 15/20, then after that Joao and Emnes were toying with them until the last 10. 

(Agree though, it won't make any difference what a team's style is......but it's depressing that we're talking about possibly losing our biggest young talent to a club like Preston).

I'd have Gally back tmrw, yes he's coming to the tail end but if we are signing journeymen and bit part players in desperation i'd rather they got someone like him who's capable of contributing something and would be here because he wants to be.

Just now, tomphil said:

I'd have Gally back tmrw, yes he's coming to the tail end but if we are signing journeymen and bit part players in desperation i'd rather they got someone like him who's capable of contributing something and would be here because he wants to be.

Didn't he want to come back and was overlooked by Bowyer? Pretty sure he was unattached when he played in the Legends charity game arranged by the Action Group.

In the end it won't matter whether Mahoney signs or  not. If he does and develops into a top player will Balaji reward him with a bigger contract or accept the first decent offer that comes along?

The club wouldn't see any money, the banks would. It would "keep us going"for a few more weeks.

To the fans this is still a football club, to the owners it's something else.

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Money will talk, as always. A good offer from Preston or whoever and Mahoney will leave. Style of football and game time is irrelevant.  

In the absence of something truly outlandish being offered elsewhere we shouldn't really be being outbid by other Clubs for Mahoney and the decision should rest solely on footballing considerations and where he thinks he'll get most game time.

Many managers, even good ones, seem loath to fully trust youngsters and would rather rely on an experienced journeyman or plodder instead. I'm not convinced Tony Mowbray is totally convinced by CM and I doubt a string of cameo appearances from the subs bench will convince him to put pen to paper at the end of the day.

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

In the absence of something truly outlandish being offered elsewhere we shouldn't really be being outbid by other Clubs for Mahoney and the decision should rest solely on footballing considerations and where he thinks he'll get most game time.

Many managers, even good ones, seem loath to fully trust youngsters and would rather rely on an experienced journeyman or plodder instead. I'm not convinced Tony Mowbray is totally convinced by CM and I doubt a string of cameo appearances from the subs bench will convince him to put pen to paper at the end of the day.

You underestimate all footballers.

Better not pull at the 'trust' thread either - or we might have to start calling Mowbray a liar. It was noted that he got away with saying this and then immediately following up by benching Mahoney, with barely a murmur from anyone.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/15165776.Mahoney_has_earned_my_trust_reveals_Rovers_boss/

Just now, islander200 said:

I'd be very disappointed if the lad doesn't sign a new contract if we stay up.However I understand him not wanting to put pen to paper right now as we could be a league one side next season.

Two words: Zac Clough

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

I'd be very disappointed if the lad doesn't sign a new contract if we stay up.However I understand him not wanting to put pen to paper right now as we could be a league one side next season.

To be fair playing week in week out in league one might do him good. I'm not convinced he's good enough to be starting regularly in the championship yet.

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bit naive there Rev.

Remember Ashley Cole ? Threw his phone down in "disgust" at "only" being offered £50,000 a week by Arsenal. Within a week he was off to Chelsea for £55,000 a week.

Footballers are motivated solely by money in the main. 

I'm sure Mahoney would prefer to stay at Rovers but a decent offer above anything we offer and he'll be on his bike. 

We need to start looking down the divisions for players this summer. We need to sign hungry players who see playing for Blackburn rovers as a privilege and a dream come through. Too many over paid prima Donna's and has beens in the premiership and championship. There is quality down there and if moulded correctly could instill some much needed passion in the jersey. Something which has been lacking from a few in the current squad. Discuss. 

Archived