SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AAK said:

The chap whos brother works at Ewood has said John akinde bid accepted, but the player was demanding big wages and therefore Rovers have pulled out and that we have a dutch defender on trial this week.  Also Lambert has an offer in place, he wants to see if any championship clubs are willing to offer same money if not will sign for Rovers.

IF Akinde is after big wages then I am pleased we have pulled out cos we shouldn't be over paying for him.

Dutch defender on trial, anybody got a idea who this is?

I wouldn't be too disappointed if Lambert didn't sign for us as I don't think he will play enough and score enough

2 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Lucky escape more pap loaded onto the wage bill and a clear sign of poor scouting available and as such recruitment.

Why is poor scouting and recruitment then dunnfc? we have bid for a player and when it be accept, the players wage demands are too much. maybe the player changes his wage demands between the start of the bid and when the bid was accept? agent playing games?

57 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Tony McMahon has signed a new contract with Bradford, so he isn't coming here.

no great miss there if we have Caddis on trial

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Heard of Leerdam and Anita but don't know anything about the rest. Neither would come here.

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Heard of Leerdam and Anita but don't know anything about the rest. Neither would come here.

Isn't Leerdam a cheese?

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

IF Akinde is after big wages then I am pleased we have pulled out cos we shouldn't be over paying for him.

Why is poor scouting and recruitment then dunnfc? we have bid for a player and when it be accept, the players wage demands are too much. maybe the player changes his wage demands between the start of the bid and when the bid was accept? agent playing games?

I swear your after us making signings just for the sake of it and to see us just actually bring anybody in (I don't blame you). Thinking rather objectively I’m not sure what your cynosure is for John Akinde. A lower league journeyman who turns 28 next week and with only 3 goal scoring years in divisions below (Conference & L2 x 2). Yes it may on the face potentially provide some solace to aid our current predicament this season in League one with scoring goals however referring to his previous track record of scoring only 3 goals in this division in more than 50 appearances I find that personally more than worrying especially if we are paying a fee for this doubtful pleasure.

I see it as more of a player who’s found the right team in the right divisions going through his purple streak which highlights a big potential concern whether it can be transferred to a higher level and where he isn't going to play every week. I’ve not seen anyone bar ourselves linked with him and admittedly my own knowledge of him isn’t great. It smacks of poor planning and poor recruitment/scouting – let’s have a look at a goalscorer from the divisions below as opposed to someone who can come in with the right qualities and fit into an existing system of play, improve the team from the off and potentially take the championship level within him too next year. I'm not sure an Akinde at 29 would be able too.

I fear we sign him up for what little cash we have and plonk him on another 2/3 year deal. It’d have made more sense looking at people who potentially can improve with time on their side and who’ve a record at this level previously or with a similar record elsewhere. Scour the French second leagues, maybe the SPL etc. We’ve a scouting chief after all. It’s about getting the blend of signings right, i.e an experienced one in Whittingham say, a few seasoned campaigners at this level (You could argue Smallwood) and players with age and time on their side to improve technically and value wise so we then don't have to have yet another busy summer next year in the event of promotion to replace these types with instead allowing those cherry picked to transition and step up for marginal outlay.

I noticed one name who I’d have mentioned “Lee Angol” has signed for Mansfield recently, a younger version of Akinde and someone who has scored goals in this league before, additionally I’d have taken a look at Johnson Clarke-Harris a couple of years ago but I'm not sure what he'd up to these days.

Lastly if you were looking at someone to give another option for just this season then ask Sheffield United for Leon Clarke on loan, excellent record at this level to chip in with and we can return him at the end of the year without his wages remaining stagnant on the wage bill with no future when promoted.

Admittedly I'm not a football scout so it's rather pointless of me speculating whom we should sign instead tbh but I'd have Louis Moult here and possibly a look at Nathael Julan and move what I can for Omar Bogle who's going to be the leading scorer I feel this year

Omar Bogle would have been the right sort for our predicament. Done the business over several years at both Grimsby and Solihull. Outstanding record infront of goal and still only 24.

Another would have been Matty Taylor who joined Bristol City in January. Only 27 and has done the business at both Forest Green and Bristol Rovers in the lower divisions.

Both of those players were available in January for a fee and both joined at the time bottom end Championship rivals. Both those clubs, Bristol City and Wigan, have something of a longer term plan/identity and don't just recruit a bucket load of free/available players every summer under a different manager before releasing/selling them all the following summer.

We're now onto the latest phase of the circus. Only 6 months ago we had a new director of football implementing his strategy and now we've come full circle to throwing everything into the hands of a manager. What happens if/when things go wrong? It all starts over again.

The next 2-3 transfers and subsequent signings will define our season.  We are well short of pace up front and wide as well as a Sambaesque/Andy Todd thug of a CB.

If we want to add a bit of pace you would assume that the lower French leagues may be a starting point.

Interesting to see where we go with recruitment now the ST deadline is past.  

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Can't imagine Dave Wheelan sanctioning any transfer that would increase our chances of finishing above Wigan.   They've dropped down and come up before so he will know exactly what to do!

1 -1.5 was what i heard they'd sell for. Keeping Grigg as he will net 25 this year, 4-5-1. 

8 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Which is how it always should be, FFP is a ridiculous rule that does nothing but entrench dominance of clubs in bigger catchment areas.

The regulations should be protecting clubs from debt, not owner-injected funds.

Pretty much the opposite of where we are...

1 hour ago, Dunnfc said:

I swear your after us making signings just for the sake of it and to see us just actually bring anybody in (I don't blame you). Thinking rather objectively I’m not sure what your cynosure is for John Akinde. A lower league journeyman who turns 28 next week and with only 3 goal scoring years in divisions below (Conference & L2 x 2). Yes it may on the face potentially provide some solace to aid our current predicament this season in League one with scoring goals however referring to his previous track record of scoring only 3 goals in this division in more than 50 appearances I find that personally more than worrying especially if we are paying a fee for this doubtful pleasure.

I see it as more of a player who’s found the right team in the right divisions going through his purple streak which highlights a big potential concern whether it can be transferred to a higher level and where he isn't going to play every week. I’ve not seen anyone bar ourselves linked with him and admittedly my own knowledge of him isn’t great. It smacks of poor planning and poor recruitment/scouting – let’s have a look at a goalscorer from the divisions below as opposed to someone who can come in with the right qualities and fit into an existing system of play, improve the team from the off and potentially take the championship level within him too next year. I'm not sure an Akinde at 29 would be able too.

I fear we sign him up for what little cash we have and plonk him on another 2/3 year deal. It’d have made more sense looking at people who potentially can improve with time on their side and who’ve a record at this level previously or with a similar record elsewhere. Scour the French second leagues, maybe the SPL etc. We’ve a scouting chief after all. It’s about getting the blend of signings right, i.e an experienced one in Whittingham say, a few seasoned campaigners at this level (You could argue Smallwood) and players with age and time on their side to improve technically and value wise so we then don't have to have yet another busy summer next year in the event of promotion to replace these types with instead allowing those cherry picked to transition and step up for marginal outlay.

I noticed one name who I’d have mentioned “Lee Angol” has signed for Mansfield recently, a younger version of Akinde and someone who has scored goals in this league before, additionally I’d have taken a look at Johnson Clarke-Harris a couple of years ago but I'm not sure what he'd up to these days.

Lastly if you were looking at someone to give another option for just this season then ask Sheffield United for Leon Clarke on loan, excellent record at this level to chip in with and we can return him at the end of the year without his wages remaining stagnant on the wage bill with no future when promoted.

Admittedly I'm not a football scout so it's rather pointless of me speculating whom we should sign instead tbh but I'd have Louis Moult here and possibly a look at Nathael Julan and move what I can for Omar Bogle who's going to be the leading scorer I feel this year

Did I not say I wouldn't have sign Lambert and not Akinde either if he demanding high wages. I'm don't know much about Akinde at all.

Johnson-Clarke is at Rotherham still. Think he got 12 months left on deal

Leon Clarke would be a no from me

Bogle would be a good signing and if we can get him I would be happy with that. has strength and pace and that's what we need. Or Look at James Vaughan from Bury as he has pace and knows where the goal is. but he is 28/29 years so that would count against him

Don't know Moult or Julan at all

54 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Omar Bogle would have been the right sort for our predicament. Done the business over several years at both Grimsby and Solihull. Outstanding record infront of goal and still only 24.

Another would have been Matty Taylor who joined Bristol City in January. Only 27 and has done the business at both Forest Green and Bristol Rovers in the lower divisions.

Both of those players were available in January for a fee and both joined at the time bottom end Championship rivals. Both those clubs, Bristol City and Wigan, have something of a longer term plan/identity and don't just recruit a bucket load of free/available players every summer under a different manager before releasing/selling them all the following summer.

We're now onto the latest phase of the circus. Only 6 months ago we had a new director of football implementing his strategy and now we've come full circle to throwing everything into the hands of a manager. What happens if/when things go wrong? It all starts over again.

Suggestion Matty Taylor last summer.

27 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Can't imagine Dave Wheelan sanctioning any transfer that would increase our chances of finishing above Wigan.   They've dropped down and come up before so he will know exactly what to do!

Whelan not involved anymore. its Sharpe and Cook decision

25 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

1 -1.5 was what i heard they'd sell for. Keeping Grigg as he will net 25 this year, 4-5-1. 

Nixon reported this on the weekend as Cook wants Doyle from PNE to join him at Wigan

18 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Handy at this level like most of there squad. They'll win the league if they can get a quick winger in

Depends how Cook does there with his change of tactics and style.

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

What's the official position of BRFCS this summer re Nixon's transfer tattle?

Manager isn't Scottish so wouldn't expect much from him.

Archived