BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Moderation Lead

I saw some talk about Rickie Lambert coming in for £3k a week, I also saw a sarcastic mention of Neymar. I'd say the latter was more likely than Rickie Lambert agreeing to £3k a week wages tbh.

We need a striker that offers something different to Graham, not someone with less mobility. A quick striker would get my vote, though pace costs......

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

SCMP works differently to FFP owners can pump into cash to get round etc

Which is how it always should be, FFP is a ridiculous rule that does nothing but entrench dominance of clubs in bigger catchment areas.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Which is how it always should be, FFP is a ridiculous rule that does nothing but entrench dominance of clubs in bigger catchment areas.

That's how football has worked since day 1, in essence. You just get fined and embargoed for being a smaller club now.

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

That's how football has worked since day 1, in essence. You just get fined and embargoed for being a smaller club now.

I don't know the exact date it changed but the real carrot for a club like ours to get to the old First Division was that gate receipts were shared between both clubs and the Football League. I understand the reasons why it was changed but it made for a much more level playing field that the current one where the income (even with Sky money) is disproportionate and invariably the lower income clubs struggle.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Well, since the ending of the maximum wage...

Good point.

The other side of the debate is that the lack of FFP in the lower leagues makes the bigger clubs ripe for foreign investors in theory. If you had a choice between A Sheffield club in League 1  or 2 or  Rotherham then an investor is going to go for the club with more potential. So is it better having rich owners dominate leagues or clubs that generate their own support? As Rovers fans we've seen both sides in the last 20 years. 

Anyway, I'm a hypocrite, transfers, we still after Ricki Lake...

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I don't know the exact date it changed but the real carrot for a club like ours to get to the old First Division was that gate receipts were shared between both clubs and the Football League. I understand the reasons why it was changed but it made for a much more level playing field that the current one where the income (even with Sky money) is disproportionate and invariably the lower income clubs struggle.

I didn't know that, so a bit like the FA Cup gate receipts used to be (still are?) I assume it was changed after pressure from the bigger clubs?

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I remember that changing and I am pretty sure, we were in the old Third Division at the time, so I am guessing at the mid seventies. It was definitely a game changer, but the money back then, was nothing like it is today. With the Sky money and also the Champions league money, you are now looking at a very distorted system and to me it is broken forever. I know Leicester bucked the trend the season before last, but you can almost guarantee that the same teams will be top six every season.

• Backroom
10 hours ago, DE. said:

Well, according to the first post in the thread:

Sounds like we need @Tom to clarify before an all out BRFCS civil war breaks out over this.

Damn that was a cool post

I should return to modding!

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I didn't know that, so a bit like the FA Cup gate receipts used to be (still are?) I assume it was changed after pressure from the bigger clubs?

I don't know that any official reason was given but I think you are safe to assume the big clubs pressurised the Football League to change the rule. I cannot recall what the actual split was between the three but I'm pretty sure the club's got exactly the same.

19 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Good point.

The other side of the debate is that the lack of FFP in the lower leagues makes the bigger clubs ripe for foreign investors in theory. If you had a choice between A Sheffield club in League 1  or 2 or  Rotherham then an investor is going to go for the club with more potential. So is it better having rich owners dominate leagues or clubs that generate their own support? As Rovers fans we've seen both sides in the last 20 years. 

Anyway, I'm a hypocrite, transfers, we still after Ricki Lake...

Sheffield United is a very rich club. Sheffield are legally owned by the Scarborough group. Scarborough own allot of land in the north west and abroad whilst you may remember Chengdu Blades a Chinese football team which were owned by Scarborough Group. Kevin McCabe the ultimate owner of the above has spent 20 years working in Chinese property and land markets with key investors and Chinese companies like TopSpring etc. 

13 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I don't know that any official reason was given but I think you are safe to assume the big clubs pressurised the Football League to change the rule. I cannot recall what the actual split was between the three but I'm pretty sure the club's got exactly the same.

FA cup is 40/40 between teams with 20 going supposedly to grassroots.

13 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Sheffield United is a very rich club. Sheffield are legally owned by the Scarborough group. Scarborough own allot of land in the north west and abroad whilst you may remember Chengdu Blades a Chinese football team which were owned by Scarborough Group. Kevin McCabe the ultimate owner of the above has spent 20 years working in Chinese property and land markets with key investors and Chinese companies like TopSpring etc. 

Remember reading a few years back about Sheff Utd being a club with one of the most solid infrastructures in the country so that seems to back it up. Always thought it strange they've hung around down here so long that being the case but I guess there is a danger when you have a club like that getting big gates with maybe a modest wage structure. If they are actually making money then the bosses won't invest so they could be happy plodding along, wonder if they lump heavy losses on the books every year as well ?

Went there for the boxing recently and not having been for years I was impressed with how clean and modern the ground looked especially given the area it's in.

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Lambert and Akinde in and Stokes out I think.

Those 2 with Graham gives us a strike force the rest of L1 will fear.

TM can rotate them in and during games to suit the game and conditions. They can form a strong base to get the total of 80 goals TM is looking for.

We were screwed on the deal when Stokes joined and will be again on his departure but sadly we have to pay to have the trash taken away.

I am concerned on Lambert recovery from a bad injury run last season but if he's available on favourable to Rovers terms should be ok. As long as no one claims he's also training to be a coach.

Now on to a fast wide player, full back cover and a PL loan of a young pacey striker. And earmark a CB just in case CM does a runner.

We need a centre half with or without CM going.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Remember reading a few years back about Sheff Utd being a club with one of the most solid infrastructures in the country so that seems to back it up. Always thought it strange they've hung around down here so long that being the case but I guess there is a danger when you have a club like that getting big gates with maybe a modest wage structure. If they are actually making money then the bosses won't invest so they could be happy plodding along, wonder if they lump heavy losses on the books every year as well ?

Went there for the boxing recently and not having been for years I was impressed with how clean and modern the ground looked especially given the area it's in.

They own a lot of land around Bramall Lane which has been developed over the years into various flats and shops. I think they still own lots of it and will get quite high rents from it being so close to the centre of Sheffield.

Another lot that 5-6 years ago were miles behind Rovers in terms of development and infrastructure but who have risen above us whilst we drop and drop.

The chap whos brother works at Ewood has said John akinde bid accepted, but the player was demanding big wages and therefore Rovers have pulled out and that we have a dutch defender on trial this week.  Also Lambert has an offer in place, he wants to see if any championship clubs are willing to offer same money if not will sign for Rovers.

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

They own a lot of land around Bramall Lane which has been developed over the years into various flats and shops. I think they still own lots of it and will get quite high rents from it being so close to the centre of Sheffield.

Another lot that 5-6 years ago were miles behind Rovers in terms of development and infrastructure but who have risen above us whilst we drop and drop.

Given the big projects they've been part of such as middlewood locks, Manchester and xinpeng in China, they've managed to forge links as suggested with TopSpring properties whom are pumping allot of money into Sheffield as a whole and hub of regeneration.

Obviously the football club is treated as a subsidiary of the Scarborough company as such and benefit somewhat with that. Interestingly SUFC wage bill was just below 11million last year.

When you look at what Kevin McCabe has done since his QS (Quantity Surveyor) days he's not done half bad for himself! Streets ahead of Venkys and Cheston.

4 minutes ago, AAK said:

The chap whos brother works at Ewood has said John akinde bid accepted, but the player was demanding big wages and therefore Rovers have pulled out and that we have a dutch defender on trial this week.  Also Lambert has an offer in place, he wants to see if any championship clubs are willing to offer same money if not will sign for Rovers.

Lucky escape more pap loaded onto the wage bill and a clear sign of poor scouting available and as such recruitment.

27 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Lucky escape more pap loaded onto the wage bill and a clear sign of poor scouting available and as such recruitment.

That would all be depending on his wage. A 35 yr old Ibrahimovic recently tore up the Prem; a 35 year old Lambert may tear up L1. Not that Lambert is on Ibra's level but class is relative to level in football. 

Wouldn't say it's poor scouting or recruitment to be honest. A proven Premier League full international is let go by a club and we've taken an opportunity to pick him up on, hopefully, a cheap risk-free contract.

Edit: I think I misread that and assumed you meant Lambert. Did you mean Akinde?

9 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

That would all be depending on his wage. A 35 yr old Ibrahimovic recently tore up the Prem; a 35 year old Lambert may tear up L1. Not that Lambert is on Ibra's level but class is relative to level in football. 

Wouldn't say it's poor scouting or recruitment to be honest. A proven Premier League full international is let go by a club and we've taken an opportunity to pick him up on, hopefully, a cheap risk-free contract.

Apparently it's not happening.

56 minutes ago, AAK said:

If he is demanding unreasonable wages, let him stay at Barnet. 

39 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Edit: I think I misread that and assumed you meant Lambert. Did you mean Akinde?

I did mean Akinde!

Lambert might give you a year but I think he's finished personally, Liverpool move really snuffed him.

41 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

I did mean Akinde!

Lambert might give you a year but I think he's finished personally, Liverpool move really snuffed him.

In which case I agree with you about it being a lucky escape. He's bagged goals consistently for Barnet but no one has taken a punt on him which makes you wonder. A striker usually isn't left to score 20+ goals 3 years in a row for such a small club without SOME interest. For him to then be demanding a big pay packet rather than being grateful and accepting this is his chance testament to the boys character. Had he come for a small (but decent by anyone's standard) wage on a decent contract for us, with determination to either secure a bigger contract here or elsewhere, then he would be worth a punt.

The gall on the man to wrangle on wages when we are offering him our facilities, a chance to play in a team with a promotion opportunity to the Championship and get him out of that league & Barnet.

His highlights reel on Youtube didn't exactly strike me as remarkable which is concerning when it is meant to showcase your very best.

Archived