BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Amusing as it is to highlight Chaddy's inconsistencies my big worry is about the number of transfers. 

Now I preface this with I had a spare 15 minutes waiting, and had read BRFCS and BBC Football; but i went on the Venky Propaganda Local Paper site... Anyway, turns out even their uber positive PR said this (in essence not word for word): 

TM has signed 4 players and hopes to sign another 4, 2 on permanent deals and 2 on loan. 

Now that worries me somewhat. Because we let 11 or 12 go and only bringing in 8 replacements doesn't seem good business sense whatsoever - that will be a small, small squad. Realistically we still need a wide player, a couple of strikers, a right back, and possibly defensive cover as well for a promotion push. Add in the fact that there's a few very injury prone players - Mulgrew if he stays will probably complete about half the games, Evans about a third of the games Mulgrew does. I'm also not sure how many games Whittingham, Ward and Graham will play given their age and injuries adding up. Factor in too the number of games - we're in the early rounds of the cups AND the league trophy (which we might stand a chance of winning) - and it's a lot of games. I'm not sure such a depleted squad could make it through the season, no matter how good the 8 are. 

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tbh Batman(and your gang of keyboard warriors) think what you want and laugh away as long as it make you all have a better day cos I couldnt give a monkey in all honest. 

Opinions changes over time when people are given a chance to impress you. 

I wasnt impress by Mowbray's appointment but won me over by the end of the season due to a number of reasons. Passion, straight talking, organising the team and having a plan A and B, keeping clean sheets. His summer recruitment has been good and signing players to fit within a style of play and tactics that he wants to play

Chaddy given you spend so long on here justifying your knowledge and how you haven't changed your opinion I'd say you seem pretty bothered. 

It's ok to change your opinion, and it's great that you have admitted that you have. I think in the past this, or not acknowledging the negative side of things, has got you into bother. For example, saying TM seemed a bit of an odd appointment, and his record hasn't been great of late but... and the reasons you then give probably will get people off your back. 

Acknowledging history and changes of opinions, with the admission of when we get it wrong, get people onside massively.  

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Blueblood, Mowbray has said the number 4. It could be more if Stokes or Feeney or Steele do leave. 

But Mowbray will look to bring through the under 23's players like Wharton and Tomlinson. 

Which still leaves us 4 or 5 pros short! One in - one out. Admittedly we'd struggle to get worse then Steele or Feeney (although past history suggests we might) but the key problem is we're still short on numbers. 

As for the U23s they're all untested and a risk. We don't know they're going to be good enough for this level, and not just good enough for this level, good enough for a promotion push. Personally I have a suspicion Warton will be but the rest I'm highly skeptical about.  Also factor in their lack of nous and experience of a promotion push and a grueling league 1 campaign, and it highlights just how much we shouldn't be relying on them, and how risky a strategy it is.  

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tbh Batman(and your gang of keyboard warriors) think what you want and laugh away as long as it make you all have a better day cos I couldnt give a monkey in all honest. 

I wasnt impress by Mowbray's appointment but won me over by the end of the season due to a number of reasons. Passion, straight talking, organising the team and having a plan A and B, keeping clean sheets. His summer recruitment has been good and signing players to fit within a style of play and tactics that he wants to play

Are you an ostrich?

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He kept 5 clean sheets from 15 games. I am sorry but how did his ability to keep clean sheets impress you? 1 of them was against a Derby team that couldn't score for toffee, one against Wigan and one against a Villa team that might as well have played 7 men for the entirety of the game. That's nonsense.

We need a centre half, a right back, a cover full back, a striker and a winger to have a team capable of winning this league. That would be 4 signings and 1 loan in an ideal world. The 4 signings has been dropped down to 2 signings so would require at least 3 loans.

So far every signing has had its merits. This progress must continue before we consider letting players go, except for Steele. I firmly believe if Stokes can get his head down he will rip holes in this league. Let's hope TM can put some old North East firm discipline into the yob.

12 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Which still leaves us 4 or 5 pros short! One in - one out. Admittedly we'd struggle to get worse then Steele or Feeney (although past history suggests we might) but the key problem is we're still short on numbers. 

As for the U23s they're all untested and a risk. We don't know they're going to be good enough for this level, and not just good enough for this level, good enough for a promotion push. Personally I have a suspicion Wharton will be but the rest I'm highly skeptical about.  Also factor in their lack of nous and experience of a promotion push and a grueling league 1 campaign, and it highlights just how much we shouldn't be relying on them, and how risky a strategy it is.  

Current squad is

GK - Raya Steele

DEF - Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Ward Wharton Williams

MID - Bennett Feeney Whittingham Evans Smallwood Gladwin Dack Conway

STR - Graham Stokes

18 players above. So looking at that we need 2 strikers, pacey winger and full back. So that would 22 players. Then just replace anyone who goes. Use the 23's to back the squad up, players like Fisher(gk), Doyle(LB), Travis(RB), Tomlinson(CM), Rankin Costello(AM). 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Current squad is

GK - Raya Steele

STR - Graham Stokes

18 players above. So looking at that we need 2 strikers, pacey winger and full back. So that would 22 players. Then just replace anyone who goes. Use the 23's to back the squad up, players like Fisher(gk), Doyle(LB), Travis(RB), Tomlinson(CM), Rankin Costello(AM). 

18 players is 11 on the field 7 on the bench and your including Nyambe and Wharton in there whom may not be ready. 

Looking at that I'd say at least five, we seem to average 3 injuries/suspensions at anyone time.

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Current squad is

GK - Raya Steele

STR - Graham Stokes

Ok so that to me looks rather scary: 

Let's scratch Evans completely off. When did he last play more than a dozen games in a season? Now down to 17. 2 are keepers (albeit one in the loosest sense of the word) so we're looking at 15 outfield players for 10 positions. 

Of those defense wise Mulgrew is often injured whilst Ward hasn't been exactly clear of injuries either. 

Midfield - can Whittingham play all those games at his age? Can Conway? (I like Conway a lot but his legs are shot.) And if not who do we rotate them with? 

Strikers - Graham getting a little bit injury prone too, and Stokes is a complete tool who could go off in a sulk. I think he'd be good at this level IF he had his head in the right place but that is far from the case. 

My point is we've got around 5 risks who may miss considerable time out of a squad of 15 outfield players. That seems like pushing it to me. 

And we're not even debating how good they are but whether we can get them on the pitch. for the record I don't rate Nyambe, Feeney or Evans in the slightest, and there are question marks over a number of  others who could be good but could not be. There's very little proven talent in that squad. Also how good is Ward really, can Conway still be of use with the pace of an arthritic snail? 

IMO things are far from rosy and the squad looks perilously thin. IF everyone is fit and focused then it's not a bad team, but that's a heck of an IF. And it is squads that get promoted not just first 11. 

10 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Ok so that to me looks rather scary: 

Let's scratch Evans completely off. When did he last play more than a dozen games in a season? Now down to 17. 2 are keepers (albeit one in the loosest sense of the word) so we're looking at 15 outfield players for 10 positions. 

Of those defense wise Mulgrew is often injured whilst Ward hasn't been exactly clear of injuries either. 

Midfield - can Whittingham play all those games at his age? Can Conway? (I like Conway a lot but his legs are shot.) And if not who do we rotate them with? 

Strikers - Graham getting a little bit injury prone too, and Stokes is a complete tool who could go off in a sulk. I think he'd be good at this level IF he had his head in the right place but that is far from the case. 

My point is we've got around 5 risks who may miss considerable time out of a squad of 15 outfield players. That seems like pushing it to me. 

And we're not even debating how good they are but whether we can get them on the pitch. for the record I don't rate Nyambe, Feeney or Evans in the slightest, and there are question marks over a number of  others who could be good but could not be. There's very little proven talent in that squad. Also how good is Ward really, can Conway still be of use with the pace of an arthritic snail? 

IMO things are far from rosy and the squad looks perilously thin. IF everyone is fit and focused then it's not a bad team, but that's a heck of an IF. And it is squads that get promoted not just first 11. 

I can't understand how you don't rate Evans. He's a full international and we play better with him than without him. Each to their own though. Feeney I can understand and Nyambe needs time.

It is very thin. We will have to use our academy players which might not necessarily be a bad thing. Perhaps the sensible thing to do would be, if we can't extend our budget to bring in new players, to offer them 1 year extensions on their contracts to ensure a resale value if they do well. Last thing we need is someone coming through, shining and clearing off like MaMoney has done.

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Current squad is

GK - Raya Steele

STR - Graham Stokes

God that is thread bare. Not taking one thing into account either, injuries. You can rule 3/4 players out most weeks through injuries.

Currently that squad is not good enough to go up. 

9 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

God that is thread bare. Not taking one thing into account either, injuries. You can rule 3/4 players out most weeks through injuries.

Currently that squad is not good enough to go up. 

Have you looked at the other squads in League 1? 

4 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

This squad is most definitely good enough. We haven't signed anyone for a week and the amount of doom that is descending is unbelievable. Have faith in TM. A few more squad players and we Will be flying. The U23s mentioned would be more than capable of filling our bench. 

Cheers Mike (Cheston) u23s whom five listed above are yet to play a first league game. Overconfident?! 

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Amusing as it is to highlight Chaddy's inconsistencies my big worry is about the number of transfers. 

Now I preface this with I had a spare 15 minutes waiting, and had read BRFCS and BBC Football; but i went on the Venky Propaganda Local Paper site... Anyway, turns out even their uber positive PR said this (in essence not word for word): 

TM has signed 4 players and hopes to sign another 4, 2 on permanent deals and 2 on loan. 

Now that worries me somewhat. Because we let 11 or 12 go and only bringing in 8 replacements doesn't seem good business sense whatsoever - that will be a small, small squad. Realistically we still need a wide player, a couple of strikers, a right back, and possibly defensive cover as well for a promotion push. Add in the fact that there's a few very injury prone players - Mulgrew if he stays will probably complete about half the games, Evans about a third of the games Mulgrew does. I'm also not sure how many games Whittingham, Ward and Graham will play given their age and injuries adding up. Factor in too the number of games - we're in the early rounds of the cups AND the league trophy (which we might stand a chance of winning) - and it's a lot of games. I'm not sure such a depleted squad could make it through the season, no matter how good the 8 are. 

people keep going on about the 12 we have let go technically its 13 (8 released 4 loans 1 refused contract) how many of the permanent players would you have kept 4 of them played less than 6 games, and  the 4 loanee`s   where never going to stay and 1 of them just stole a wage for a season.Its best to judge this seasons squad when the window shuts.

14 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

This squad is most definitely good enough. We haven't signed anyone for a week and the amount of doom that is descending is unbelievable. Have faith in TM. A few more squad players and we Will be flying. The U23s mentioned would be more than capable of filling our bench. 

1st post. Clearly you have been in a coma for the last 7 years

7 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Cheers Mike (Cheston) u23s whom five listed above are yet to play a first league game. Overconfident?! 

It's not overconfidence, it's trusting these young lads to play a part in a league 1 squad. Our best starting 11 eclipses any other in this league. add a couple more and why not look forward to a successful season!! 

2 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

It's not overconfidence, it's trusting these young lads to play a part in a league 1 squad. Our best starting 11 eclipses any other in this league. add a couple more and why not look forward to a successful season!! 

Spot on. Thats the way I see it theres absolutely nothing not to look forward to & everything to look forward to. This season its tonys team he starts the season not taking over someone elses mess I could use other choice words instead of mess best not to.

21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Have you looked at the other squads in League 1? 

Very true. No outstanding teams apart from us and Wigan but thats counts for little in the league. Only got to look at Fleetwood achievements last season was pretty much the same squad as season before under Pressley

17 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

u23s whom five listed above are yet to play a first league game. Overconfident?! 

Well unless they get a chance to play how are they ever going to prove they are good enough at this level?

You realise we need between 27-30 wins for automatic promotion don't you? It's fine having a studded 11 but relying on kids without FT experience as back up? Seems popostrous to me given injury records pointed out by some. Of course there is time yet to address and we will invariably see.

8 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

You get there's a difference between stating the squad being too thin as it currently is and writing off the season, right? 

Also I'd love to know on what basis you think Evans, Mulgrew, Ward and Conway will last and be available for a whole season. 

Likewise how you're sure Stokes is going to be focused. 

And as for the U23s - what makes you so confident that they're good enough for this league? Excellent loan spells away from the club? Dominance of the U23 league? How many were breaking into or on the verse of breaking into the team in the championship? Again, as also stated, what compensates for lack of  lack of know how and nous for a promotion push? 

Also faith in TM who didn't keep us up. I like the guy and think he's decent but he's not a great manager. 

Also how about faith in Venkeys? I have absolute faith they can screw things up. Time after time they have done. 

I'd say there's little proof that we are guaranteed to be flying. Again, not saying we can't if everyone fit and focused, but it's currently looking far from the certainty you suggest. 

Just now, had.e.nuff said:

people keep going on about the 12 we have let go technically its 13 (8 released 4 loans 1 refused contract) how many of the permanent players would you have kept 4 of them played less than 6 games, and  the 4 loanee`s   where never going to stay and 1 of them just stole a wage for a season.Its best to judge this seasons squad when the window shuts.

Some great points and I'm not disagreeing with anything you say. It's more than currently we're not in a great position and IF this isn't changed the squad is too lightweight for us to do well. I'm more disputing that we're in a comfortable position squad wise at present and highlighting the risks we face if the recruitment drive is blocked/stalled by Vs. 

15 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I can't understand how you don't rate Evans. He's a full international and we play better with him than without him. Each to their own though. Feeney I can understand and Nyambe needs time.

IMO what does Evans actually do. I mean fitness alone shows he's a waste of space and he wouldn't be an international for anyone of a decent caliber. 

But he doesn't really tackle or disrupt the play. He doesn't impose himself on games. He doesn't score many. He doesn't make killer or meaningful passes. He's tidy enough but he doesn't really contribute much to any part of our game. 

• Moderation Lead
22 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Trusting people who've not played yet, therefore not earned that trust yet, so it's a gamble.

Also relying on players with bad injury records and assuming we won't be selling anyone. This is Venky's, it's what they do. Don't start crowing until September the 1st when there's no danger of selling anyone for a few months again.....

Archived