BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lowe To Be Rovers Captain

I don't think we've used Evans properly (agreed though - If fit).

Should be used as he is for the NI national side, slightly forward than defensive midfield and in a more box-to box role. Right of a 3 would suit him to the ground IMO.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally disagree with you for once - Imo Evans is pretty useless too Imo. 1 season injured but promising, a second being invisible, a third being busy but ineffective.

Not that I'm saying Lowe is good or captain material. Just don't think Evans is first team material either.

You've every right to but which not don't you agree with? Evans is twice the player Lowe is. Says more about Lowe than Evans.

That said, I don't think we've seen the best of Evans except in patches. He has had some great games. I have yet to see Lowe have a great game.

And they want people to buy season tickets this is how far we've fallen and continue to fall... Just got to hope graham and stokes get enough to keep us up and above the promoted sides and Rotherham should just do it

One has to remember the amount of long distance shots that led to goals with Lowe as the DM. For all this closing down he supposedly does this happens far too often. Add to that he can't play on the half turn or with his head up and you've got a desperately poor (excuse for a) midfielder.

• Backroom

Lowe is one of many players who have benefited from the destruction Venky's have brought upon the club. He wouldn't be in a Championship team with genuine ambition, let alone a PL team. His appointment as captain sums up everything that's gone wrong over the past six years.

As aforementioned, the players will know the real leaders in the team and follow their orders, so Lowe's official appointment as captain is only bad because it means he'll most likely be playing every game when fit and able. It's unfortunate, but it won't be the first time he's been selected no matter what. We should be used to that after three years of Bowyer shunting him into the team in whatever position was available.

Lowe is one of many players who have benefited from the destruction Venky's have brought upon the club. He wouldn't be in a Championship team with genuine ambition, let alone a PL team. His appointment as captain sums up everything that's gone wrong over the past six years.

As aforementioned, the players will know the real leaders in the team and follow their orders, so Lowe's official appointment as captain is only bad because it means he'll most likely be playing every game when fit and able. It's unfortunate, but it won't be the first time he's been selected no matter what. We should be used to that after three years of Bowyer shunting him into the team in whatever position was available.

A token captain is not good for player morale, and would almost certainly create division, if not cliques, as groups form around the real perceived leaders.

• Backroom

A token captain is not good for player morale, and would almost certainly create division, if not cliques, as groups form around the real perceived leaders.

I would guess we've been dealing with that for some time. There must have been a few players over the past five years or so that have questioned being dropped whilst Lowe was auto-selected regardless of his form. Or maybe they weren't bothered, as lack of ambition has been rife at the club for some time.

The prospect of Lowe as captain is an extremely depressing one. In terms of footballing ability he should be nowhere near the side, but if he is made captain we'll be stuck with him permanently. Almost on a far less grand scale like the Rooney situation with England trying to shoehorn him into the side because he is captain.

Sigh.

If Greer becomes a permanent signing there's a real Captain.

Lowe chosen by Coyle really by the feckwit Indians is a poor try at making the Fan base happy - by appointing someone who has come trough the Ewood ranks with no regard to onfield performance. Another failure at reading us...imo

One thing I will say for Lowe, we've only seen what he can do under less-tactically-gifted managers. Under Bowyer, he and Evans were camped too far back and clearly under instruction not to press. Maybe Lambert would have been able to get more out of him, as he did out of Evans who was shocking in the seasons before, but unfortunately the poor lad has been blighted by injury. I don't think he's a particularly good player, but I don't think he's as hopeless as some make out and could certainly do a job in the right system. Can't say I've seen anything that makes me think he's captain material, however.

• Backroom

Fair dos - the job may be the making of him. I hope so - for his and our sake.

It certainly benefited Hanley, but he had fire in him. I'm not sure Lowe does.

You've every right to but which not don't you agree with? Evans is twice the player Lowe is. Says more about Lowe than Evans.

That said, I don't think we've seen the best of Evans except in patches. He has had some great games. I have yet to see Lowe have a great game.

Evans being good is where I disagree!

Don't get me wrong, Lowe is poor, but I'm not convinced Evans is much better. Like Lowe he tries to harass the opposition but he doesn't really break up play or add any solidity. Likewise his passing isn't that great, he's not a playmaker, nor does he keep us ticking over. Also he doesn't make many surging runs forward and only occasionally pops into goal scoring positions. He's not terrible at any of these things but he's not good at any of them. I always wonder what kind of midfielder is he? Where does he fit in the team, what role does he have which others couldn't do better?

As for not seeing the best - I thought that for quite a while and have heard lots of other people say the same. Thing is for me, there's only so long that promise isn't fulfilled before I start to think it's not actually there! And I've never seen Evans dominate the midfield for the majority of the game, just seen glimpses of ability, and tbh I think that's all we'll ever see out of him.

Archived