BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joey Barton

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

75% of the overall League sponsorship is thanks to a Betting Company (3 out of the 4 divisions)

Nearly a quarter of the 92 clubs have a main shirt sponsor that is a Betting Company (22 out of 92)

Half of Premier League clubs have a main shirt sponsor that is a betting company (10 out of the 20)

Plus the one stadium in the Premier that is named after a bookies

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

No ,but they have rules against advertising it ;) 

Which is different to actually drinking it.

That's like saying Barton's done nothing, but we should ban Chris Kamara and Ray Winstone :lol:

Just now, Mike E said:

Which is different to actually drinking it.

That's like saying Barton's done nothing, but we should ban Chris Kamara and Ray Winstone :lol:

Both can lead to crippling addictions, but the FA, Sky and many others are making money off the gambling industry, because they can. Whereas legislation stops them from promoting alcohol, so they don't. They are unscrupulous. 

I think they should be helping Barton and setting examples for others who are struggling with this addiction. Rather than adopting the hypocritical stand of banning him whilst taking cash hand over fist from betting companies who are causing untold, in a lot of cases silent and largely uncontrolled damage in the UK and Ireland. 

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Both can lead to crippling addictions, but the FA, Sky and many others are making money off the gambling industry, because they can. Whereas legislation stops them from promoting alcohol, so they don't. They are unscrupulous. 

I think they should be helping Barton and setting examples for others who are struggling with this addiction. Rather than adopting the hypocritical stand of banning him whilst taking cash hand over fist from betting companies who are causing untold, in a lot of cases silent and largely uncontrolled damage in the UK and Ireland. 

I agree with that actually BUT it should be a condition of his ban. The ban itself is justified imo.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

As long as not betting on the team(s) that he is directly linked with I see nothing wrong.

But he did do exactly that he bet on himself to be first scorer and AGAISNT his striker to be first scorer in the same game.

now here the £8 stake is irrelevant he had money on a game he was in a position to directly influence. 

Also betting against his team to lose is just shocking, what's to say he wasn't doing his teammates in training to weaken the team?

The bloke is scum 

An 18 month ban is quite simply too much and is being levied because it is Barton.

If it was an England national team player involved it would not be anywhere near 18 months in fact it would be under the carpet.

The more important issue is that the FA are a law to themselves and that must be changed.

Just now, Mike E said:

I agree with that actually BUT it should be a condition of his ban. The ban itself is justified imo.

Ya, ok he probably deserved a ban, but 10 games would have sufficient. Maybe his age should gave been factored in even. It just seems harsh if he genuinely has an addiction. 

Just now, Tom said:

But he did do exactly that he bet on himself to be first scorer and AGAISNT his striker to be first scorer in the same game.

now here the £8 stake is irrelevant he had money on a game he was in a position to directly influence. 

Also betting against his team to lose is just shocking, what's to say he wasn't doing his teammates in training to weaken the team?

The bloke is scum 

That does change things for sure. He wasn't doing it for the money though. A small bet is more an indication of addiction. Is this the bet where he was angry at being dropped?

Overall I think that the scum impression that Barton does very well is working against him in people's viewing of his betting habits.

Has Joey Barton broken FA rules and potentially been involved in spot fixing. Yes.

Does the FA/football's relationship with betting companies need dressing. Yes.

The two however are separate issues which Barton is using as a smokescreen to defend himself. He knows the rules and repeatedly broke them, long before the FA got into bed with betting companies. As usual he claims to be owning up to his issues whilst in turn blaming his upbringing, football authorities and anyone else he can.

He may be but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished.

As for FA rules, we are always decrying people breaking them but in this case it's ok?

So woe is Barton eh, what about the hundreds of people, who may be gambling addicts that also put bets on and lost as a result of his performances, etc. Let's not pretend he is some innocent victim who has been swallowed up by the football machine or that is upbringing is in anyway responsible for his constant misdemeanours. There are plenty of people with much wore upbringings who manage to take responsibility for their actions, unfortunately Barton cannot own any of his.

Dexter Blackstock got 3 months and a fine for betting on football which he wasn't involved in, Barton's punishment is based on that precedent plus extra for betting on games he had an impact on by playing in them. I really don't see the issue.

Just now, lraC said:

Its a pity that the FA don't ban everyone, who breaks their rules. What a mess we would have then.

Right so let me get this straight, we want he FA to get rid of Venky's for breaking various rules and not being fit and proper but we don't want to ban Barton who has potentially spot fixed the outcome of a dozen fixtures that could have had a material impact on the survival/league position of other clubs because other people break rules. Makes sense.......

The FA are a corrupt money making machine. Englands very own FIFA. They apply their self invented rules and vary them to suit their agenda. They are a sham.

Barton. I am not saying for a moment that the gobby Scouser is innocent in all of this. Neither is he, but it is his right to use all means possible in mitigation. The FA for sure do...usually a blind eye

I think the premier league is more of a money making machine than the FA , however the rules on betting certainly aren't self invented, they've been around forever, christ they've barely changed since I was an academy player 16 years ago. We were told do not bet on any football, it was as clear as that and this was in the days of only being able to go in a bookies and bet. I know for a face players get the much more info these days. Yes the footballing authorities are guilty of a alot but in this case the rules are as clear as day light and have been for as long as I can remember.

2 years ago when DJ Campbell was accused of spot fixing we were calling for him to be tarred and feathered in front of the Cathedral yet Barton who has potentially done the same or worse is being unfairly treated, bull.

1 hour ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Has Joey Barton broken FA rules and potentially been involved in spot fixing. Yes.

Does the FA/football's relationship with betting companies need dressing. Yes.

The two however are separate issues which Barton is using as a smokescreen to defend himself. He knows the rules and repeatedly broke them, long before the FA got into bed with betting companies. As usual he claims to be owning up to his issues whilst in turn blaming his upbringing, football authorities and anyone else he can.

I was going to post similar. They are 2 separate issues.

Barton is a grade A clown. He has demons. When he was young they led him to violence, latterly they've moved over to betting. He needs counseling, and lots of it.

The FA is not fit for purpose. I think that they fitted up Allardyce last year. He would have changed the culture, people would have lost power and they weren't happy about it.

• Moderation Lead

The geezer is an absolute weapon and something like this has been a long time coming.

His justification for what he's done just proves to me he'll never learn and he benefits from having zero self-awareness whatsoever.

The worst thing is he hides behind some pseudo-intellectual nonsense when the fact is, just because he's read a few books, can spell and punctuate well, it doesn't detract from the fact that not once has he ever taken accountability for one of his many indiscretions. What a goon.

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

The geezer is an absolute weapon and something like this has been a long time coming.

His justification for what he's done just proves to me he'll never learn and he benefits from having zero self-awareness whatsoever.

The worst thing is he hides behind some pseudo-intellectual nonsense when the fact is, just because he's read a few books, can spell and punctuate well, it doesn't detract from the fact that not once has he ever taken accountability for one of his many indiscretions. What a goon.

Forgetting the many instances that show what a complete tool he is, looking at this misdemeanour in isolation - he still deserves more than a small fine and an 18 month ban.

Betting on games you are involved in, where the outcome (of a supposed competitive sport) could differ due to his influence, whether it's on the pitch or not - disgusting behaviour.

I understand the double standards of allowing gambling firms to be involved in sponsoring football, but I can't criticise the FA for their action, maybe I could ask for more of a sanction. Personally, I would've made more of an example - stripped medals, banned for life, huge fine and potentially criminal charges. There should be also an outlet for those teams he played for, and bet against - to sue him for a breach of contract. 

Its not a secret that I cannot stand the bloke, but this has no baring on how I see his punishment. Those four clubs have paid a huge wedge to someone who literally couldn't give two @#/? about his conduct.

5 hours ago, Biz said:

He put bets on teams he played for, to lose. In the match squad or not, that is the absolute pits for a "professional role model". Can't justify it, if he had a problem, why does it come out after the ban.... because it's designed to take the heat off him.

Being addicted to gambling is understandable for footballers but there is plenty of sports to bet on. There's no way it can be avoided as a conflict of interest, even to someone as stupid and arrogant as Joey Barton.

The discussion on gambling advertisement is another entirely, how the chief news firm (sky) for sport can have their own betting company is  a complete joke.

I am yet to understand how they get away with it.  Clear conflict of interest with them able to come up with whatever transfer/managerial rumours or other nonsense they want and influence both the betting markets and the actions of their consumer base.

Just now, mustard said:

I am yet to understand how they get away with it.  Clear conflict of interest with them able to come up with whatever transfer/managerial rumours or other nonsense they want and influence both the betting markets and the actions of their consumer base.

It's completely unethical but money talks in "our" sport.

Archived