BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle / March On Ewood

pk1875

How can any young player at Ewood be called "the future of the club"? A future at another club maybe.

Any young player showing promise will attract attention from other clubs who will be aware that anyone is for sale at Rovers at bargain prices just to keep the club afloat for a few more weeks.

Don't get any sense of attachment to any player we have, it will end in tears.

I couldn't agree more. Any promising young player will be sold as soon as we get an offer for them. The Chicken Chokers haven't got the sense to hold on to them and increase their potential value.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lowe is simply the current scapegoat for many and has been for sometime. Keith Andrews was another. Quite beyond me why people have this approach.

quote]

Both poor players. Picked despite obvious deficiencies, regardless of form, several horror showings and always to the detriment of the team.

If you think Lowe is simply being scapegoated and not being judged by his performances, I have to ask what you see in him.

"Scapegoat" implies that he's being unfairly singled out for being @#/?.

Still, as long as you and the other moralists can pat yourselves on the back, carry on.

That is an incredibly stupid and unreasoned response.

No problem nicking wins.

My mantra has always been win, win, win. Couldn't care less about style of play- exhibit a) King Sam.

However, there has been an element of luck these last two games. Conceding 70%+ of possession and 20+ chances every week is not going to win you points long term. Hard to play against and nicking wins? Sounds great to me. Flying by the seat of your pants and somehow coming out with 3 points? Not sustainable.

Agreed.

There are times when a team that's regularly losing games has to absolutely go back to the basics of first and foremost, not conceding goals. Forget about the attacking side of the game and just go out with the attitude of a blank sheet is everything. We've done that now for two games running and I think Coyle was right to do that - but from this base we have to start moving forwards threat wise, because quite simply we can't go on like this much longer. The question is can Coyle now move us forwards from this base attacking wise, while keeping the back door shut?

In fairness to Lowe his tackle on Hayden was the highlight of the first half for me.

One notable tackle in six years and 150+ appearances. Says it all.

That is an incredibly stupid and unreasoned response.

No, it's not. I'm just sick to the back teeth of this 'holier than thou' attitude.

Lowe is @#/?. He gets called out for being @#/?. End of story.

Lowe is simply the current scapegoat for many and has been for sometime. Keith Andrews was another. Quite beyond me why people have this approach.

As for the game. Lucky? Not a bit of it. We played well and did our job. I've lost count of the times I've seen teams nick a win, it's football and that's how it goes. Other sides achieve this and it's a great result, for a lot of Rovers fans these days its undeserved or lucky if we do the same. I don't agree.

One could argue in one aspect Newcastle enjoyed some luck they didn't capitalise on. Virtually every clearance we made from our box hit or ricocheted off a Newcastke player and it wasn't because all our clearances were poor.

An overall good performance, great goal from Mulgrew giving me a good afternoon, huge enjoyment leaping from my seat and grinning all the way back to the car park.

I wanted to "like" this post but the first line about Lowe prevented it. He really is a poor player, especially in midfield, and should never be considered as captain.

If you asked Jason Lowe what is his difining characteristic as a player I think he'd struggle to give you an answer other than 'I work hard'.

Can't pass, can't shoot, hardly tackles, doesn't score goals, doesn't take set pieces, not particularaly good at heading but... He runs around a lot.

That isn't making him a scapegoat, that's just what he is as a footballer that gets paid A LOT of money...

In league 1 i think he'd be a good player, in fact it might help him express himself at a level where he might get more time and space on the ball. In a league with less quality it might build himself some more confidence to step up at this level, like Alan Judge.

If you asked Jason Lowe what is his difining characteristic as a player I think he'd struggle to give you an answer other than 'I work hard'.

Can't pass, can't shoot, hardly tackles, doesn't score goals, doesn't take set pieces, not particularaly good at heading but... He runs around a lot.

That isn't making him a scapegoat, that's just what he is as a footballer that gets paid A LOT of money...

In league 1 i think he'd be a good player, in fact it might help him express himself at a level where he might get more time and space on the ball. In a league with less quality it might build himself some more confidence to step up at this level, like Alan Judge.

Lowe suffers with no having someone who can play football in the middle of the park.

I remember reading Savage's autobiography and he basically said his job was to work hard and then give it to people who can play. Savage was lucky (and freely admits that) he got to play with Tugay, who made him look very good.

Lowe suffers with no having someone who can play football in the middle of the park.

I remember reading Savage's autobiography and he basically said his job was to work hard and then give it to people who can play. Savage was lucky (and freely admits that) he got to play with Tugay, who made him look very good.

Savage was actually proficient at harassing and needling the opposition. Lowe runs around a lot but doesn't impose himself on a game. Technically Savage was much better than Lowe, as well.

At best, Lowe is a utility player. He makes up the numbers and can fill in at full-back. The fact he's a mainstay in the side and club captain just shows how far we've fallen.

Lowe's undoubtedly a very poor player. But I'd argue that central midfield is the hardest position for fans to understand. Since I've been coming on this messageboard, there's always been talk of players in this position "doing nothing", from Flitcroft, to Andrews, to Lowe. All of whom were played regularly by multiple managers (some of those managers better than others). For me personally, I'm totally willing to accept that there are nuances and elements to centre mid that I don't appreciate - likely about decisions made off the ball.

To repeat, Lowe appears to me to be garbage. But what do I really know about professional football?

• Backroom

As critical as I am of Lowe, I'll readily admit he probably does get more stick than others who are just as bad.

Why? Well, it's not that hard to understand when you think about it. Lowe is in every sense a symbol of our decline. He's been there from the beginning under Kean and been a mainstay as we've continued to fall. He represents the deterioration of the club purely because he has been present throughout our decline and consistently performed poorly. That he is now the captain is in many ways a tragically perfect peak to his dismal time at Rovers. To call him a scapegoat is too easy, this sometimes unfair targeting of Lowe goes way beyond people just wanting a scapegoat.

Proper scapegoats get it in the neck in the ground often even when their name is just read out. Apart from odd groan at another slow backwards, sideways pass when in space under no pressure or the odd lone voice moan dotted around on matchday i don't think Lowe has been put in the Ewood grinder.

He's always got it on here but as pointed out he's been a feature since the decline began and a lot of the ire stems from his auto selection whoever is boss and whether he has been average or poor and there are other better suited option available. That's what makes him unique not the fact he's just the 'chosen one' of this era for the scapegoat tag.

He's had stick for perfectly good reason even if it isn't always his fault i.e selection but he's also had praise for some decent efforts within his limitations and Monday for me was one of his better days.

I have litle time for Lowe and his speciality of sideways/backwards passing and a few hoofballs to spice it up.

However his selection as Captain can only be based on time spent at Ewood and not on inspirational leadership qualities.

Quite early on in the second half after a combined cockup with his fullback he gave Nyambe a verbal earbashing public enough to be picked up by Sky. IF it was Nyambe's sole faul - and I do not think it was - then a 'quiet word' would have been enough. Nyambe's game comletely fell apart after this forcing Coyle to sub him and save him and us further embarassment.

• Backroom

I have litle time for Lowe and his speciality of sideways/backwards passing and a few hoofballs to spice it up.

However his selectipn as Captain can only be based on time spent at Ewood and not on inspirational leadership qualities.

Quite early on in the second half after a combined cockup with his fullback he gave Nyambe a verbal earbashing public enough to be picked up by Sky. IF it was Nyambe's sole faul - and I do not think it was - then a 'quiet word' would have been enough. Nyambe's game comletely fell apart after this forcing Coyle to sub him and save him and us further embarassment.

I remember Scott Dann frequently ripping into Lowe for his tendency to be awful at everything. Monkey see, monkey do, I suppose.

It is the problem with the current situation why do fans keep on blasting each other into pieces rather than be constructive. They would rather blast someone who didn't turn up to a protest almost bullying individuals into doing the same thing as them. They still to this day after 6 years haven't figured out the way forward is to get and unite the dam fan base. Doing it by shouting and screaming like a child won't get anyone anywhere.

For all the work Lowe puts in he never seems to be in the thick of it. I wouldn't mind him if he was a good hassler of the ball, unfortunately for Lowe he doesn't seem to have particularly great positional sense so he's always late to the party.

Good defensive midfielders intercept the ball more often than sliding around on their arses. Lowe does neither.

I realise that due to limitations it is necessary to play 3 strikers at times but Gallagher is never a winger. He is a natural centre forward. Emnes is much more suited to playing wide. I don't know why Coyle can't see that.

I think the point was to give us an outlet to hit with the high ball which we did over and over again.

I must disagree with you. I think his performance at Leeds this season showed just how much he has improved this season over last. It was a very mature performance in the centre of defence alongside Lenihan. Two young players who are the future of this club. All young players will make mistakes and he is far from the finished article, but given time and first team football, he will be a valuable player for the club, particularly as the days of paying money for players has long gone. Bringing through our own is the way forward and there is a decent crop coming through.

Think you've got your blue and white specs on parsons agree about bringing through your own but we only the want winners ! ...the also rans should sent elsewhere like Nyambe.

He's had since the beginning of last season parsons to claim that vacant right back spot yet you tell us his one and only decent game was playing centre back against a weakened Leeds team.

I'm in total disagreement with you parsons at this moment in time.

Let's not forget that hes already one and a half seasons into his career and what does he have to show for it whilst that right back spot is still up for grabs ?

Savage was actually proficient at harassing and needling the opposition. Lowe runs around a lot but doesn't impose himself on a game. Technically Savage was much better than Lowe, as well.

At best, Lowe is a utility player. He makes up the numbers and can fill in at full-back. The fact he's a mainstay in the side and club captain just shows how far we've fallen.

To echo your point Savage was very technically decent, always controlled and passed the ball well. Scored a few good goals.

Also he would lead the team vocally and by example. That Hughes team had seven real captains in it - Friedel, Nelsen, Neill, Savage, Mokoena, Ooijer. Even Tugay who was the opposite of vocal captained Turkey and Galatasary.

I don't think weve had a single player of captain material at the club for years. Looking at Mulgrew maybe he can offer it, but will he be fit enough?

Lowe's undoubtedly a very poor player. But I'd argue that central midfield is the hardest position for fans to understand. Since I've been coming on this messageboard, there's always been talk of players in this position "doing nothing", from Flitcroft, to Andrews, to Lowe. All of whom were played regularly by multiple managers (some of those managers better than others). For me personally, I'm totally willing to accept that there are nuances and elements to centre mid that I don't appreciate - likely about decisions made off the ball.

To repeat, Lowe appears to me to be garbage. But what do I really know about professional football?

How long have you been watching? You probably know a lot. Enough to have an opinion anyway.

For all the work Lowe puts in he never seems to be in the thick of it. I wouldn't mind him if he was a good hassler of the ball, unfortunately for Lowe he doesn't seem to have particularly great positional sense so he's always late to the party.

Good defensive midfielders intercept the ball more often than sliding around on their arses. Lowe does neither.

Absolutely !

I think the point was to give us an outlet to hit with the high ball which we did over and over again.

I have no argument with that but surely he would be more effective at that in the middle with Emnes wider where he is quite at home.

Archived