BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle / March On Ewood

pk1875

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He looked shattered for the last 15 minutes. I'd have took him off and put Stokes on in a like for like swap as it would have helped us defend better from the front and allow Emnes to keep busy between the striker and midfield.

I thought taking Emnes (who was getting on the ball in midfield towards the end) off for Brown was risky but fortunately the ball never went out for the 5 minutes Brown was waiting to come on.

I was expecting another Huddersfield at that point. I agree with your thoughts on Stokes, they would have to keep one eye on the back as it was that move, to me invited pressure. All's well that ends well. I din't understand Gallgher wide and Emnes in the middle, seems to me.both players might be more suited to the other way round. Feeney I thought was possibly Newcastle's best defender he stopped just about every chance we had to counter. forgot the ball once.

Lowe at RB scares me all he does is back off, one time all the way into the area. Put foot in lad.

Good result but Coyle.still has to go, which he won't. Be nice to have a break from the league next week.

Stop being obtuse. The matchday turnout is a symptom of Venky ownership

Putting the "blaming of fans" to one side.....Great and a very unexpected result. Another twenty odd more needed. Fully expect the defence to return to it's old self sooner rather than later though :(

You're correct with your first paragraph of course. Our predicament is solely down to the V's and no-one else. However imo the reality of the situation is that the majority of the 15k fans who have boycotted Ewood will never or only rarely be back. If I was an investor I'd be somewhat reluctant to commit tens of millions of pounds on the say so of fans who claim they will return with a change of ownership. It's more likely we'd pick up new fans if we started doing well at some point in the future.

Whilst the 3 points were most welcome a whole host of issues remain unsolved.

The tactics? what exactly were they? Sit back and let NUFC kill us and just fight for every ball?

I have no idea how NUFC didn't score with almost 3/4 possession, 24 shots on goal, it is one of those football enigmas, nothing to do with the team, the set up or the manager it was just a hard won fluke.

Rovers only really played once Gally was o the pitch as he drove at the nufc defence, and what we saw then was that they are vulnerable so why the hell not go for it with him down the middle from the off? Emnes, as much as a grafter he may be, isn't the same type of forward and he doesn't exactly go with Graham at the top of the tree.

The Lowe enigma raised its head yesterday once more, he is not a leader that is abundantly clear, he along with Feeney were our most dangerous players, dangerous to our OWN team that is.

Have to credit Greer and Mulgrew, and to some Williams. Young Nyambe was overrun at times but its a steep learning curve and he can only get better (one hopes).

Midfield was a minefield at times, Lowe, Feeney and Conway wasted ball after ball, gave it away, lost possession etc etc, Akpan on the other hand did the business, he stood in, stepped in and helped out as the midfield was totally overran at times. Footnote OC, get yourself a solid midfielder who can just sit there, who can defend, tackle and head oh wait, Evans did that when he came on !

Taking 3 points off the most unsuccessful city club was ace (as usual) but I genuinely have an affection for the NUFC fans, 99% are genuine and sided with our cause, they know the ups and downs of football and they had the most hated owner of all in Fat Ash and chatting in the Cow before hand with a few of them actually made me realise that other football fans feel our pain and support our cause.

I went to the after match sit in, very disappointed with the lack of home support it should have been a few thousand rather than a few hundred. That saddened me greatly because greater numbers attract a greater audience. Venkyscum would probably have been laughing at the low numbers that sat in the ground after the game and that's the worst part of all.

Anyhow it is all about momentum......

#Looking back at the past 25 games, and the way we have defended compared to yesterday, it makes me weep at the thought that we should be comfortably top 8, or would have!

Well done to the protest organisers.

I thought both the march and the post match protests were worthwhile. Some people believe protests will change nothing but it's the only weapon I've got in my armoury so I will continue to support all protests.

In between the protests I watched the game in the Brown Cow. Just after half time about 10 Geordies came in after deciding they would rather have a few more drinks than watch the rest of the match! I must admit, they seemed to enjoy the day despite the defeat which they took very well indeed.

Those Geordies you met on Livesey Branch Rd have their protests down to a very fine art!

I think fan protests at games where we get 3 points are win - win (pun intended). It shows we won't be swayed by a tolerable performance/amazing result but keep our perspective on the bigger picture and highlight it is not simply about what may happen on the pitch. More erudite opposition fans do get it...it is only the simple minded who believe boycotting or protest is still down to some kind of selfish entitlement here at BRFC.

You don't half chat @#/? on here these days rev. Why do you constantly have to have a go at protesting boycotters . You seem to know more than us boycotters . I know for a fact in my circle of friends every single one will be back when the scum leave .

I tell you what let's do personal , I will have a bet with you that I for one return , say £500 charity bet .

What makes you such a special fan ? You still go ? I still went up to Lambert leaving , it's funny how you actually hated him and moaned worse than my two ex wives over him . He's way in front of us now .

You're correct with your first paragraph of course. Our predicament is solely down to the V's and no-one else. However imo the reality of the situation is that the majority of the 15k fans who have boycotted Ewood will never or only rarely be back. If I was an investor I'd be somewhat reluctant to commit tens of millions of pounds on the say so of fans who claim they will return with a change of ownership. It's more likely we'd pick up new fans if we started doing well at some point in the future.

Emnes was all over the park, full off running, came deep Looking for the ball, you must have been watching a different game to me.

I'd suggest you watch it again!

Emnes barely broke a sweat, he ambled around at a pace akin to someone twice his age. He dodged challenge after challenge, won 0 second balls, gave the ball away continuously and was never in a position to pick the ball up from the midfield up the pitch. He had to come deep at times because we had Akpan/Lowe passing anywhere but forward, or to someone in a blue and and white shirt. His work ethic compared to Graham was embarrassing, yet he wasn't the only one - Feeney really is the type of player that makes me ask myself if he turns up for training and nothing else.

Do I rate Emnes - yes, he is probably the highest quality player we have.

Do I think he is working hard enough? NO chance. Not just him, a few others.

Watched the match this morning, very glad for the points but we got hammered again in posession. At least there was team sprit and you could see the players where delighted with the result at the end of the game. I was surprised with Newcastle and the fact they had all that ball but did not really pepper our goal. The table looks grim we need to string together a few results but I just can't see it.

Anyway good result in isolation and like a few have said glad to send that lot home empty handed. Little lad enjoyed it too, anything to keep him interested until this lot are gone.

So much for the rumours after the Barnsley match.

A few more thoughts.

1 We were really lucky - the ricochet from the first save Steele made nearly fell to two of their players, the shot rattling the bar and the ref excellently spotting the handball all went in our favour. Any one of those pieces of fortune against us and it's a different result.

2 Newcastle mentally collapsed after the goal. Had they pressed with the same verve instead of hoofing, would we have held out? Their mental resolve was as weak as their defending.

3 Today also showed why we can stay up. Freak results even under clueless are possible. This division is so unpredictable that a modicum of organisation and planning could keep you up.

4 Lowe and Akpan are our worst cm combo. Neither are great defensively but their lack of distribution and ball retention kills us. It means Tha the pressure is constantly on us and is rarely relieved as we don't keep the ball. Putting Lowe at rb undoes some of that damage.

4 Nayambe really isn't ready. Shocker of a game and not the answer to our rb problems.

5 We are reliant on Evans and Mulgrew to remain fit to get a working team out there. Let that sink in a moment...

6 Greer os only as good as the people around him. Couple of times others covered for hos mistakes. I'm beginning to see why Brighton may have let him go.

7 We've been crap mostly and are 2 points from safety. Again let that sink in as to how low the standards are at this level...

A big thank you to those that post their views on the game. If they were all the same, I'd be worried.

An even bigger thank you to those that got off their arses and did the march. You are doing it for those that can't and those that won't.

Don't stop doing it until you win. And win you will.

An unbelievable win, and that is what is was.

It gives hope on two fronts.

That the Venkies will go, and that the Rovers will stay in this division.

Keep at it guys, you will get there.

Having seen my first 90 minutes this season (albeit on TV) I was amazed how easily some of our players were knocked off the ball or brushed aside by a Newcastle team who were anything but physical. Before the introduction of Evans Lowe and Akpan were distinctly second best in central midfield to an very average Colback and Hayden. Whether he got lucky or it was a managerial masterstroke (I strongly suspect the former) the introduction of Evans made a big difference and helped play a big part in the winning of the game.

The statistics to me don't mean anything at all and are only usually a mechanism for a losing manager to bleat.

• Backroom

2 Newcastle mentally collapsed after the goal. Had they pressed with the same verve instead of hoofing, would we have held out? Their mental resolve was as weak as their defending.

It was noticeable that they started to get frustrated around the 55 minute mark. They began to constantly blast pointless shots from distance rather than try to build up play and break us down. As you say, it is a sign of weak mental resolve. A lot of other teams in this division should have learnt a great deal from the six points we picked up against the barcodes. Once we took off the hopeless Nyambe, got Lowe out of midfield and brought on Evans we actually had a little composure and it was enough to nick the points.

Just been discussing the game with a couple of colleagues at work (both Bolton fans), first name they both mentioned.....Lowe and how impressed they were!!

I explained the reputation he has with some Rovers fans and they found it hilarious.

Just shows, watching a game as a 'neutral' possibly makes a difference.

Just been discussing the game with a couple of colleagues at work (both Bolton fans), first name they both mentioned.....Lowe and how impressed they were!!

I explained the reputation he has with some Rovers fans and they found it hilarious.

Just shows, watching a game as a 'neutral' possibly makes a difference.

One way of looking at it, but also look at the marked difference one Evans was put in there. Calm and composed and actually found a blue and white shirt and we got a foothold in the game.

One way of looking at it, but also look at the marked difference one Evans was put in there. Calm and composed and actually found a blue and white shirt and we got a foothold in the game.

Another way of looking at it - I actually felt the enforced removal of Conway replaced by Gallagher had as big an impact on the game as the removal of Nyambe being replaced by Lowe.

Maybe we are all missing something on Our Jase.

Other fans love him, every manager he's ever played for love him, somebody told me that all our players love him...

:unsure:

It is a strange one, I'm not his biggest fan, but, with our ever decreasing quality in the squad.......we may be reaching a level where he may be a 'good 'un'!

Didn't post yesterday so thoughts on the game:

It is clear that the only way we will get out of the relegation spots is by keeping clean sheets and winning ugly. The problem is our midfield, it is so damn weak. Apkan and Lowe, Conway & Feeney. Now to be fair to Akpan, what he lacks in ability, he does try to make up for in effort - which in our predicament is the best we can hope for. Jason Lowe - just can't see what he brings and certainly not as captain. Conway just runs down the line then turns back - every time. Feeney, awful and bloody lazy to boot.

Yesterday we rode our luck and had nothing going forward (due to the midfield) however, I thought both centrebacks and Williams had good games. I would keep Mulgrew and Greer as a partnership for as long as possible (prob a week with their injury records). The front '3' of Emnes, Gallagher and Graham have enough ability to score against any team in this league.

Coyle's 'new approach' is a pragmatic one. The problem is, in both games, the teams we have played have had nearly 50 shots. On that basis it is purely luck that has got us the points and not Coyle's tactical genius.

So, I enjoyed stealing the win yesterday. I celebrated like mad when we had our first shot at goal after 70 mins. And I was heartened by the commitment of SOME players.

Going forward then. If Wes Brown is fit, how about putting him in at RB? Brown, Greer, Mulgrew and Williams should be solid.

Midfield: If there is to be no Guthrie (our best cm IMO) then Apkan and Evans is probably as good as it gets. Bennet (who puts in a proper shift) needs to start instead of the hapless Feeney and it's time to put Conway to pasture and play Emnes on the left.

Up front Gallagher and Graham can cause problems for any side.

It's poor fare but they might just keep us up.

If we are well adrift by Easter then I hope to see the likes of Wharton, Tomlinson, Mahoney, Rankin Costello etc given game time.

Some games suit certain players and yesterday us being pinned back mostly suited having the two deep lying defensive mids who's job was just close down and get a foot in then pass it sideways. I thought they both did ok and worked hard all game but of course every time either got it in a bit of space further up it's either given away or slow pass back/sideways which highlights their lack of overall ability.

Normal home games when you aren't pegged back all the time this gets highlighted more often as well as marking empty spaces and losing your man frequently in Loweys case. Like i said certain games suit certain players i think but it's week in week out that counts.

Remember Henley having Sterling in his pocket ? That was purely down to him having that quick off the mark pace to stick with him yet regularly in the championship he really struggled when asked to do more in a game.

• Backroom

we may be reaching a level where he may be a 'good 'un'!

This is exactly the case. Lowe would be a decent League One player and we're pretty much there in terms of squad quality. He'll be useful when we finally drop into the third tier.

A big thank you to those that post their views on the game. If they were all the same, I'd be worried.

An even bigger thank you to those that got off their arses and did the march. You are doing it for those that can't and those that won't.

Don't stop doing it until you win. And win you will.

An unbelievable win, and that is what is was.

It gives hope on two fronts.

That the Venkies will go, and that the Rovers will stay in this division.

Keep at it guys, you will get there.

Really good to see you posting again :)

A few more thoughts.

1 We were really lucky - the ricochet from the first save Steele made nearly fell to two of their players, the shot rattling the bar and the ref excellently spotting the handball all went in our favour. Any one of those pieces of fortune against us and it's a different result.

3 Today also showed why we can stay up. Freak results even under clueless are possible. This division is so unpredictable that a modicum of organisation and planning could keep you up.

4 Lowe and Akpan are our worst cm combo. Neither are great defensively but their lack of distribution and ball retention kills us. It means Tha the pressure is constantly on us and is rarely relieved as we don't keep the ball. Putting Lowe at rb undoes some of that damage.

4 Nayambe really isn't ready. Shocker of a game and not the answer to our rb problems.

5 We are reliant on Evans and Mulgrew to remain fit to get a working team out there. Let that sink in a moment...

6 Greer os only as good as the people around him. Couple of times others covered for hos mistakes. I'm beginning to see why Brighton may have let him go.

7 We've been crap mostly and are 2 points from safety. Again let that sink in as to how low the standards are at this level...

Some brilliant observations :)The 'quality' of this league must be at an all time low. Yesterday showed up our deficiencies and our lack of skill and quality. I'm quite confident of stopping up, but it'll likely be due to others (Burton or QPR) in spite of our failings and mismanagement

Archived