SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle / March On Ewood

pk1875

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another protest, another result.

If Venkys ever take their foot off our necks, there is still the beating heart of a football club under the surface.

Nothing takes away the feeling of a goal against the run of play - especially having been outplayed for so long and by so much - and taking three points that you don't deserve.

Another protest, another result.

If Venkys ever take their foot off our necks, there is still the beating heart of a football club under the surface.

Nothing takes away the feeling of a goal against the run of play - especially having been outplayed for so long and by so much - and taking three points that you don't deserve.

Wish I still cared like you do. I couldn't even muster up a celebration.

Great commitment today from a lot of players and they need to be fitter to produce that week in week out imo as they only seem to do it in these games when the adrenaline is high. Sooner they all wake up at the club and realise we are in the mire then we might see it more often.

Lowe and Akpan are awful footballers but they are defensive midfielders and did those jobs very well today i thought. Having them both together has us too deep all the time though and the number of shocking basic passes given away could have proved costly but they got away with it today.

Bringing on Evans and changing it slightly was a good sub and allowed a foot on the ball and a few better passes to get forwards. However i can't stand his new habit of throwing Brown on and taking a striker off who's doing his bit helping out and providing an outlet. It will cost if he keeps doing it.

Like beating Leeds and their gobshite overblown hordes any win any time over Newcastle is a top result. This one was even sweeter all things considered. Well done all :)

I detest the V's.

I hate the money grabbing, corrupt agents who have sucked Rovers dry.

I think Coyle is a buffoon.

I am celebrating 3 points, and a great win against all the odds (30% possession and 1 shot on target).

Well done to the players who had some passion today.

Venkys Out.

Wish I still cared like you do. I couldn't even muster up a celebration.

I only caught the 2nd half, but never really felt like Newcastle would score.

It's clear we have many with limited ability or mental aptitude and some who are wastes of space, but that's for another day.

Flukey, maybe, but I enjoyed was delighted.

Granted, I changed channel as soon as whistle went (to avoid a gloating charlatan).

It's been a long while since I felt so chuffed walking away from Ewood.

Backs against the wall for periods but stood up well.

Thought the enforced Conway/Gallagher sub changed the game for us.

The back four were, in the main, resolute with a special mention for Mulgrew.

Well done Rovers, fantastic walking back to the car amongst the Newcastle fans.....they don't like it up 'em!!

I detest the V's.

I hate the money grabbing, corrupt agents who have sucked Rovers dry.

I think Coyle is a buffoon.

I am celebrating 3 points, and a great win against all the odds (30% possession and 1 shot on target).

Well done to the players who had some passion today.

Venkys Out.

I find it quite sad that every post has to be prefaced with a disclaimer that we all still hate Venkys etc. Doesn't it go without saying? There's nothing wrong with feeling happy about today's result.

Almost exactly the same game pattern as Huddersfield, except this was more one-sided. To be honest if it takes 4 points from 2 games against promotion-chasing sides then I'm not all that bothered about possession percentage.

Having said that, we are again in debt to Steele. I thought he was excellent at Huddersfield too and his failure to deal with the free-kick masked many good saves there, particularly in the first half. Today he was flawless, as were the centre halves.

Imo if you're not absolutely thrilled by that fortuitous and unexpected three points then either you're not really a Rovers fan any more or there's something wrong with you. Such are the vagaries of the wonderful game that is football.

Individually Steele has taken some right clog this season but was immense today making four superb saves to keep us in the game. Mulgrew was by far the pick of the outfield players and capped it with a great goal.

Not sure if this changes too much looking ahead we're carrying far too many passengers, Conway, Feeney Graham and of course Lowe who is nicking a living in midfield. He always goes where the ball isn't. Did far better when he moved to RB.

Coyle's still not the answer either but for tonight I'm simply going to enjoy the result and the fact that we're now still just about in touch with the pack and have a chance should a change be made at any point.

My gut feeling is Burton will be relegated , can we get more points than Wigan and Rotherham given that we have +5 start ?

We were trying today , must be the least talented Rovers squad I have ever seen in 47 years, Mulgrew needs to stay fit (unlikely or he wouldnt be here)...

Having a glass or 2 tonight . where theres life theres hope !

Well done the players not the manager or the owners !

Imo if you're not absolutely thrilled by that fortuitous and unexpected three points then either you're not really a Rovers fan any more or there's something wrong with you. Such are the vagaries of the wonderful game that is football.

Individually Steele has taken some right clog this season but was immense today making four superb saves to keep us in the game. Mulgrew was by far the pick of the outfield players and capped it with a great goal.

Not sure if this changes too much looking ahead we're carrying far too many passengers, Conway, Feeney Graham and of course Lowe who is nicking a living in midfield. He always goes where the ball isn't. Did far better when he moved to RB.

Coyle's still not the answer either but for tonight I'm simply going to enjoy the result and the fact that we're now still just about in touch with the pack and have a chance should a change be made at any point.

Must be something wrong with me, or maybe you're right and I'm not even a Rovers fan now. I just struggle to get excited about the odd win when it still seems so certain we will do the inevitable. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we won but 'absolutely thrilled'? We are third bottom and still looked useless for two thirds of the game.

The Preston away game completely killed it for me, and I can't look at Rovers without feeling I'm looking at a club devoid of anything.

Looks like we can perform when nobody expects us to. The pressure would be off today same as it was in the away game. It's the games against the bottom dwellers were we need similar spirit.

Great three points and yes we could just about get out of this with a bit more input. Anyway I'm out for a pint or two having recovered from the flu at last. Thanks for that Rovers, I'll drink to that tonight.

Well I think that's probably the worst Rovers game I've seen in years and frankly performances like that are why i no longer have a season ticket and spend most Saturday afternoons with the good lady. Utterly dire and shameful, this club has become a shell of what i used to know and be a part of. I don't think we managed two successive forwards passes today? Knock downs and second balls we went missing for and how many times did we hoof it or win the first ball only to lose the second ball? If your going to be physical or be the underdog you win your second balls, it's so bloody basic and is why Pulis, Hughes and Big Sam are all effective PL managers.A woefully negative performance of which i was embarrassed to watch and spot so many basic things lacking in our game today. It must be the third game in a row of low 30's possession based stats and it's not the only batch of matches this season where it has occurred, Does Coyle really think that this shower is attacking football? It's capitalizing at best on the other sides errors as i've seen nothing to resemblance any "Total" or attacking football what the moron suggests he plays.

I didn't rate Lambert as most of you know but he got the basics right, today we looked so unfit, players looked like they were in slow motion special mentions to Emnes, Greer and J-Lo who looked as if they were on a pitch of wet concrete. Credit to those supporters who protested and held up banners, too many of our fans though have given up the fight and are only to happy to watch the final jigsaw pieces of demolition to a once great club. Those attending, clapping sub-par players and telling people to be quiet deserve Venkys, quite frankly and i'm always criticized for saying this but your only helping the other side (Venkys/Cheston/Pasha).

Strange tactics for me putting Gallagher on at left midfield, i'd have moved Feeney the left footer onto the left and put Bennett on the right for Conway. Not sure what this poor lad has done or maybe like Ward he's a Lambert man.

For what it's worth my ratings:

Steele (8) - Some great point blank saves of which he's good at, well beaten for the Diame crossbar effort and his kicking from freekicks is aimless and only concedes possession. That said did well today and a clean sheet against them shows that.

Nyambe (4) - Same with Lenihan and only what I've been saying for weeks, nowhere near good enough (Yet) to be playing for Blackburn Rovers week in week out. Positionally suspect, Lack of heart in a tackle but an athlete who's pace hides his errors and blatent lack of understanding what offside means.

Greer (5) - How has he managed a contract, didn't have a trial did he? Past it and was released once. Today no-one can fault his determination and his effort to put his body on the line, but no common sense at all, positionally poor and frightfully slow.

Mulgrew (8) - Our standout player whenever i see him, he's got the quality and if he was fitter he wouldn't be here. Should be captain, his pedigree and obvious experience at Celtic allows him to organise, put his head everywhere and geniunley his quality oozes through, i wish he had pace!

Williams (6) - Another player who should be nowhere near a starting place at Blackburn Rovers, i think he looks a center half playing left back as he tucks in to much and attacking/flying down the left looks unnatural to him. That said got some vital blocks and clearances in today but his level is Bristol City reserves.

Feeney (5.5) - Frustrates the hell out of me, he's quick and can cross when he bothers to look up, without the ball he just stands there though and is an absolute liability for the side let alone the RB behind him.

Akpan (6) - At times he actually looked very tidy with the ball and kept it simple, skipped a couple of players and played it safe out wide etc. Clumsy looking and i'm still not sure how we didn't get a FK in the corner after Colback blatantly obstructed the ball unlawfully. He's a 4-5-1 player and if he had more confidence to launch some tackles would be the new "AXE" sadly though it isn't happening soon which is why Lambert bombed him out the side.

Lowe (6) - A jekyll and hyde game, first half two basic passes he miscued and Newcastle broke, he marked space and pointed ala Andrews but produced a great tackle. Second half he was better tackling and geninley keeping things allot more simple in relation to passing, few hoof clearances which went into the air without distance but was vocal throughout the game.

Conway (5) - Now your seeing his faults. A winger without stamina, he beats a player or goes on the run and becomes that tired he can't concentrate on putting a decent cross in. Woefully lacking any stamina and it won't improve at 31. I think that's why Lambert bombed him.

Emnes (4) - Gave up watching the amount of times he'd lose the ball, to be fair he had no support most of the game and managed to win the FK for Mulgrew. Strange player other than his touch i couldn't tell you what he is good at or what his best traits are.

Graham (5) - Tireless effort upfront chasing those balls but he's not a target man, he's a poacher. Poor game all in all from him

Subs

Evans (6) - The "Recycler" as we call him as he passes and moves and keeps things ticking over.

Gallagher (5) - One effort on goal which wasn't bad, never in a million years is he a LW.

Special mention to both the linesman and ref today, to often in this league we see the worst of them but both were fair and very good today (8).

Newcastle looked awful, they shot consistently from everywhere as opposed to trying to work the ball into the box. A typical Benitez from his Liverpool days where he liked to move the ball across the pitch but in a sideways fashion. I wasn't to concerned by them but If they'd have had Mitrovic on the pitch today then i would have suggested trouble especially as Ritchie who was a bit off today can whip a ball in. Best Newcastle player for me has to be Clark, did everything right for a CB today.

Forget needing a CM and a RB, we need a new team. It's that simple. I'd keep Mulgrew and Graham from the side who started today and Evans/Bennett in general. The rest are not good enough to be playing for a side with the history and name of Blackburn Rovers.

Coyle Venkys Pasha out! Rowett in!

Must be something wrong with me, or maybe you're right and I'm not even a Rovers fan now. I just struggle to get excited about the odd win when it still seems so certain we will do the inevitable. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we won but 'absolutely thrilled'? We are third bottom and still looked useless for two thirds of the game.

The Preston away game completely killed it for me, and I can't look at Rovers without feeling I'm looking at a club devoid of anything.

Glorious individual moment versus big picture, I guess!

Looks like we can perform when nobody expects us to. The pressure would be off today same as it was in the away game. It's the games against the bottom dwellers were we need similar spirit.

Timing is everything.

The shop opened yesterday and lots of people were vying for window space. The irony is that we didn't play particularly well, we just soaked up Newcastle's pressure and aside from the width of a crossbar and two refereeing decisions going our way (correctly by all accounts) we worked hard to keep them at bay.

Well I think that's probably the worst Rovers game I've seen in years and frankly performances like that are why i no longer have a season ticket and spend most Saturday afternoons with the good lady. Utterly dire and shameful, this club has become a shell of what i used to know and be a part of. I don't think we managed two successive forwards passes today? Knock downs and second balls we went missing for and how many times did we hoof it or win the first ball only to lose the second ball? If your going to be physical or be the underdog you win your second balls, it's so bloody basic and is why Pulis, Hughes and Big Sam are all effective PL managers.A woefully negative performance of which i was embarrassed to watch and spot so many basic things lacking in our game today. It must be the third game in a row of low 30's possession based stats and it's not the only batch of matches this season where it has occurred, Does Coyle really think that this shower is attacking football? It's capitalizing at best on the other sides errors as i've seen nothing to resemblance any "Total" or attacking football what the moron suggests he plays.

I didn't rate Lambert as most of you know but he got the basics right, today we looked so unfit, players looked like they were in slow motion special mentions to Emnes, Greer and J-Lo who looked as if they were on a pitch of wet concrete. Credit to those supporters who protested and held up banners, too many of our fans though have given up the fight and are only to happy to watch the final jigsaw pieces of demolition to a once great club. Those attending, clapping sub-par players and telling people to be quiet deserve Venkys, quite frankly and i'm always criticized for saying this but your only helping the other side (Venkys/Cheston/Pasha).

Newcastle's current squad cost £140m, how much did ours cost? Their current manager has won 9 major trophies, including the UEFA Cup twice and the Champions League, and he spent the first half of last season managing Real Madrid.

Football isn't golf. You don't just look at your performance and that's that. Your ability to perform depends hugely on the quality of the opposition and we played a squad/manager combination every bit as good as ours under Souness in 2000/01. A combo that we've now done the double over.

You going on about what the club used to be, saying you didn't rate Lambert, your absurdly harsh ratings (Greer a 5!!), the helping the enemy attack on our own fans and your total dismissal of a very strong opposition points to one of the most disconnected from reality viewpoints I've seen on here in a while. But then through the protest campaign a few months ago you were posting 10 times a day saying Venkys were on the verge of being forced out so I guess a warped reality shouldn't come as too much of a surprise.

Newcastle's current squad cost £140m, how much did ours cost? Their current manager has won 9 major trophies, including the UEFA Cup twice and the Champions League, and he spent the first half of last season managing Real Madrid.

Football isn't golf. You don't just look at your performance and that's that. Your ability to perform depends hugely on the quality of the opposition and we played a squad/manager combination every bit as good as ours under Souness in 2000/01. A combo that we've now done the double over.

You going on about what the club used to be, saying you didn't rate Lambert, your absurdly harsh ratings (Greer a 5!!), the helping the enemy attack on our own fans and your total dismissal of a very strong opposition points to one of the most disconnected from reality viewpoints I've seen on here in a while. But then through the protest campaign a few months ago you were posting 10 times a day saying Venkys were on the verge of being forced out so I guess a warped reality shouldn't come as too much of a surprise.

It doesn't matter about the cost of a side especially when you fail to address even the basics during 90 minutes. Shall we tell Nigel Clough at Burton to accept relegation because his Burton side earn per week a fraction of our ramble? What about Brighton who's squad is a fraction of Newcastle's? They are deservedly top this evening. Forget who there manager is it's irrelevant what he has won, his side today was wayward and looked ill-set up for a Championship game.

Your ability to perform is how well you set a team up, how reactive to situations you are throughout the game and season which to date we are still in the bottom 3, so where is this ability when you have a Burton side above you in the league? Do you not concur that we are massively under performing which is evident to me.

Harsh ratings? We were sh1t today and got lucky. Disconnected view point, wake up SKH! You used to be a good poster. I don't want to get drawn into a personal battle with you but if you could point out those ten posts per day for me?

Steve Kean had Man Utd on New Year's Eve which cemented his job and ultimately lead to our relegation. This has done the same for Coyle and I'm sure will result in the same overall outcome.

Because a better manager would keep us up? Look at the players we have. It's a league one team with one or two average championship players dotted around.

Ultimately, the manager is not the biggest problem we have. Plus we're not going to attract anyone better.

Archived