SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Sporting Director Rumour

TBTF

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I asked here about his standing with rovers fans. I know his standing with Irish fans :)

Aye, you did! Fair play. I don't think you'll find many Rovers fans with a bad word to say about him. For me he was one of my favourite ever centre halves. And the header he scored in the play off semi final away at Derby, where he hovered 8 feet in the air for a couple of minutes, was just beautiful. As I said, hard as nails, a winner. You'd want him in your team everytime.

Ironically Kamy posted said game on that Twitter half an hour ago...

Think he has all the attributes, just cannot fathom why he's spent two seasons sitting on our bench. Last season as an example, with Eastwood still on the books, he should have been on a season long loan somewhere.

U23 football just doesn't have the same intensity as the senior game.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Think he has all the attributes, just cannot fathom why he's spent two seasons sitting on our bench. Last season as an example, with Eastwood still on the books, he should have been on a season long loan somewhere.

U23 football just doesn't have the same intensity as the senior game.

He doesn't play for the Under 23's, that's Andy Fisher - who is another excellent prospect.  Raya has played in some of the Check-a-trade games.  Agree that he needs more football and possibly next season could get loaned out for a few months if Steele is still number one.  Personally, I'd like to see Raya given some first team games in place of Steele.

13 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Does no one think he's too short for a keeper?

Same height as Shay Given who was top class. Raya needs game time and should already have been loaned out to get the errors out of his system in league 1 or 2 games .... and at another teams cost.

Coming up against some hard men would have toughened him up

46 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Same height as Shay Given who was top class. Raya needs game time and should already have been loaned out to get the errors out of his system in league 1 or 2 games .... and at another teams cost.

Coming up against some hard men would have toughened him up

Didn't we loan him to Hartlepool a couple of years ago? or have I dreamt that.

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

He doesn't play for the Under 23's, that's Andy Fisher - who is another excellent prospect.  Raya has played in some of the Check-a-trade games.  Agree that he needs more football and possibly next season could get loaned out for a few months if Steele is still number one.  Personally, I'd like to see Raya given some first team games in place of Steele.

Has he improved with his kicking?When he played thode coup,e of games under Bowyer I was terrified every time the ball was passed back to him.He has potential but I'd like to see him out on loan in league 1 for a season,I'm hoping Mowbray will bring in an experienced goalkeeper next season

40 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Has he improved with his kicking?When he played thode coup,e of games under Bowyer I was terrified every time the ball was passed back to him.He has potential but I'd like to see him out on loan in league 1 for a season,I'm hoping Mowbray will bring in an experienced goalkeeper next season

Maybe Mowbray has seen his potential and possibly promised him significant game time next year, hence the contract. To put him in the side now would be wrong IMO because at the age he is (very young for a keeper) if it all went wrong under the pressure the club is in and it was him to blame then it would probably finish his career.

8 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Excellent news that Senior has extended Raya's contract at the club. 

No doubt in the £3k per week brigade so ticks all the boxes. Think we'd better get used to that kind of news. The talented kids will be enticed away  starting with Mahoney.

Its a shambles and with Swiss Tony running the show I think we might see more Portugese waiters back in the fold

• 2 weeks later...

So two months in, does anyone know anything about Senior? Is Senior director of football, has there been any official announcement by the club concerning Senior? Just who the hell is Paul Senior? Well...............

Senior has previously worked as youth-team coach at West Ham and Crystal Palace before joining Tottenham as academy scouting coordinator. He became Charlton's head of academy recruitment in 2012.

Chansiri, who bought a 100 per cent stake in the club from previous owner Milan Mandaric in January, initially appointed former West Ham, Newcastle and Norwich manager Glenn Roeder and former Hull chairman Adam Pearson in April to form a three-man sporting director committee to work alongside then coach Stuart Gray.

Senior joined the committee the following month and after Pearson had left to become executive director at Leeds, Hill was drafted in to help fill the void.

http://www.eurosport.com/football/paul-senior-and-jonathan-hill-leave-roles-at-sheffield-wednesday_sto4987990/story.shtml

Players Senior signed;

Vincent Sasso - Seen as back-up at SWFC, bit of a cult hero status for not being very good. Last seen scoring twice against us with Coyle. http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/252486-sasso/

Lucas Joao - That good he's been loaned out to BRFC and not wanted by SWFC. http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/252467-joao/

Marco Matias - File under Lucas Joao, allegedly struggled at SWFC, expected to depart back to Portugal asap.

Modou Sougou - Came and went back out on loan from SWFC to minnows Moriense in Portugal.

Filipe Melo - Came from minnows Moriense, played 6 games for SWFC now on loan at Pacos Ferriera another minnow in Portugal. 

Darryl Lachmann - 18 months in and not made his league debut, on his second loan spell in the lower reaches of Holland's eredivisie, aged 27.

Alex Lopez - Came on loan from Celta, played 20 games went back to spain to Valladolid in the second division.

Jeremie Helan - Retired to study Islam

Joe Bennett - Made 3 appearances before loan was terminated, now at Cardiff, Villa fans despise him.

Lewis McGugan - Been transfer listed since August, played just 25 games since the summer of 2015.

Pudil/Forestieri/Hooper were also bought that same summer after being on loan at SWFC, purchased for millions it's safe to say we won't be signing these and they can't be seniors players as allegedly he only bought one player for a fee (Lucas Joao). For confirmation see - https://audioboom.com/posts/5517438-rovers-director-of-football-operations-paul-senior-speaks-about-his-appointment?t=0

:tu:

Just now, Dunnfc said:

So two months in, does anyone know anything about Senior? Is Senior director of football, has there been any official announcement by the club concerning Senior? Just who the hell is Paul Senior? Well...............

Players Senior signed;

Vincent Sasso - Seen as back-up at SWFC, bit of a cult hero status for not being very good. Last seen scoring twice against us with Coyle. http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/252486-sasso/

Lucas Joao - That good he's been loaned out to BRFC and not wanted by SWFC. http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/252467-joao/

Marco Matias - File under Lucas Joao, allegedly struggled at SWFC, expected to depart back to Portugal asap.

Modou Sougou - Came and went back out on loan from SWFC to minnows Moriense in Portugal.

Filipe Melo - Came from minnows Moriense, played 6 games for SWFC now on loan at Pacos Ferriera another minnow in Portugal. 

Darryl Lachmann - 18 months in and not made his league debut, on his second loan spell in the lower reaches of Holland's eredivisie, aged 27.

Alex Lopez - Came on loan from Celta, played 20 games went back to spain to Valladolid in the second division.

Jeremie Helan - Retired to study Islam

Joe Bennett - Made 3 appearances before loan was terminated, now at Cardiff, Villa fans despise him.

Lewis McGugan - Been transfer listed since August, played just 25 games since the summer of 2015.

Pudil/Forestieri/Hooper were also bought that same summer after being on loan at SWFC, purchased for millions it's safe to say we won't be signing these and they can't be seniors players as allegedly he only bought one player for a fee (Lucas Joao). For confirmation see - https://audioboom.com/posts/5517438-rovers-director-of-football-operations-paul-senior-speaks-about-his-appointment?t=0

:tu:

Barry Bannan?

Just now, DanielMB said:

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that Senior listens to what kinds of players Tony Mowbray wants instead of buying who he wants.

Me too looking at that list and the success or lack of from his last set of signings with Wednesday.

Archived