BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Cult Heroes

Oldgregg86

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last one for Rovers for me was Ryan Nelsen as Tugay and Friedel had left.

Santa and Bentley were amazing for us but not heroes. Nelsen played at charlton with a hair line break in his leg under first season with Hughes fighting relegation, could you imagine our spineless squad doing that now?

Mark Atkins

Aye he became one thanks to Parkes and Kenny, shocker of a right back though lol He'd fit right in now as a right back along the lines of Henley without pace. As a midfielder he'd be a class above and probably too good, funny game football :lol:

To be fair he was young when he came and made a fair step up overnight.

Good thread this interesting to see the difference in who people class in those terms. A little light relief if nowt else !

Glenn Keeley was certainly a cult hero, he had several clubs but he only shone at Rovers, He went on loan to everton and only lasted about half an hour, Seem to remember him having a pub over Chorley way and he got done for trying to sort some trouble makers out by engaging them in a game of Baseball. The Judge saw it differently though.

I remember him having the Woodlands and he used to come down stairs and walk around collecting glasses in his bare feet in the middle of a busy pub :lol:

Plenty saying Speedie and he was for me the very definition of a cult hero. Only here a short time but made a big contribution, fans loved him & he loved us. Played every game with his heart on his sleeve and will always be remembered by those who saw him.

Tugay's a legend and cult hero for me...

Anyone for Andy Todd? Puts his head in places, that most players wouldn't put their feet...

Todd played over here in Aus for a couple of years 2009-2011 and was exactly the same as at Rovers although a bit slower, won player of the year in his first year

Mike Ferguson

Jimmy Fryatt

Eamonn Rogers

Don Martin

Tony Field

Glenn Keeley

David Speedie

David Thompson

Tugay Kerimoğlu

Sadly NOBODY since November 2010 - how could there be?

Surly Rhodes. An outside shout of yakubu anyone. I always loved John stead. Never understood why he got sold

Cult Hero: - a writer, musician, artist, or other public figure who is greatly admired by a relatively small audience or is influential despite limited commercial success.

Good article here on each clubs cult hero. Our contributor picked Dunn.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/revealed-your-clubs-cult-hero-voted-fans

Not sure the likes of Shearer and Hendry could ever be classed as cult heroes.

Nicky Reid got some backlash due to Barker being sold. His professionalism won the fans over. Loved how he came charging up the pitch to score against Cambridge.

Used to charge out the tunnel first and steam towards the BBE then smack the ball high or wide of the empty net lol Nobody was more surprised than himself when that went in :rover:

Many players remembered with much affection over the years but in the true definition of cult hero, Speedie wins for me followed by Duncan McKenzie, Gordon Cowans and Tony Field.

Yep David Speedie would take some beating. John MacNamee would run him close though. Coming up to date that Jones guy who came on loan and kept us up in Kean's first season.

Tugay and the likes are far too mainstream to be a cult hero.

I was just saying the other day that Akpan has the potential to be a future cult hero. Being distinctly average but popping up with the odd goal or tackle.

Cult Hero: - a writer, musician, artist, or other public figure who is greatly admired by a relatively small audience or is influential despite limited commercial success.

Good article here on each clubs cult hero. Our contributor picked Dunn.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/revealed-your-clubs-cult-hero-voted-fans

Not sure the likes of Shearer and Hendry could ever be classed as cult heroes.

Spoilsport. I was enjoying remembering some decent players.

How could I forget Speedie? From a different era I liked Hird, Metcalfe, Kendall and of course Mckenzie. Chris Price? Played more like a winger than full back.

Archived