BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Cult Heroes

Oldgregg86

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it has to be the ones who bring something else to the table not just being the best player or being here a long time.

Legend/Cult hero/ great player can all be different.

Shearer = Legend

Gayle/Speedie etc cult hero's. Hendry probably both over his two spells. On the pitch anyway :blink:

All down to opinions and of course it's different now than it was even 10 years ago in how fans view players not just at Rovers but football in general.

Garner,Shearer..

David Speedie..never known a player make such an impact both on and off the pitch at Ewood in such a short space of time,genuinely sad when he left the club.

Tugay...what a farewell he was given that last game against WBA,never experienced anything like that before.

We've had some real belters folks!

Tony Field. I started watching the Rovers in the 66-67 season. Ronnie and Bryan were coming towards the end of their careers and after almost making it back to the top flight, several seasons of decline followed. I was a young teenager when we were relegated to the Third Division. As we stabilised, prior to coming (relatively) good again, we needed a cult figure. That was Tony Field. How he was only at Southport, I'll never know. His mazy runs were sublime. He wasn't blessed with pace but he could body swerve and drop his shoulder like the best. Never missed a penalty, either, I don't think.

Its a very vague term, but the first name that I thought of as a cult hero (under my definition) was Mark Grew. Here for a short space of time in a hour of need and did a great job. Still remember the crowd chanting " sign him on " for about 5 minutes during one game at Ewood

Also definitely Speedie, that one season for us was unreal

Its a very vague term, but the first name that I thought of as a cult hero (under my definition) was Mark Grew. Here for a short space of time in a hour of need and did a great job. Still remember the crowd chanting " sign him on " for about 5 minutes during one game at Ewood

Just watched a tribute video to him on onevalefan website. A great keeper and some great footage from the late 80s.

Anyone remember (Sir) Roger Jones? England u21 goalkeeper signed from Bournemouth.

How could anyone forget Sir Roger? Another superb keeper. We were always blessed with them unlike today.

Tony Field. I started watching the Rovers in the 66-67 season. Ronnie and Bryan were coming towards the end of their careers and after almost making it back to the top flight, several seasons of decline followed. I was a young teenager when we were relegated to the Third Division. As we stabilised, prior to coming (relatively) good again, we needed a cult figure. That was Tony Field. How he was only at Southport, I'll never know. His mazy runs were sublime. He wasn't blessed with pace but he could body swerve and drop his shoulder like the best. Never missed a penalty, either, I don't think.

I remember one such run against Watford at home when he took it from the halfway line and beat several players before scoring, and away at Rochdale when he scored his 100th league or career goal. He ended up playing with Pele and Beckenbauer for New York Cosmos.

My cult hero as a kid - David Speedie. That 91-92 promotion season was surreal. I'd love to have the Rovers Return season review on DVD; I had it on VHS.

Cult hero as an adult - David Bentley. Controversial shout I know but perhaps a generation thing. I thought he was absolutely brilliant in his 3 years for us. One of the best players I've seen in the blue and white shirt. Those seasons in the mid noughties where we got into Europe under Hughes were my favourite following Rovers. It was a great team and Bentley epitomised that.

He scored some fantastic goals; one at Reading 10 years ago when he ran 50 yards down the right and unleashed it into the top corner from 25 yards springs to mind. He left under a cloud but I saw a candid interview with him on BT Sport last season in which he regretted leaving Rovers. He said he loved his time here, it was the worst decision he ever made and ruined his career. I was initially pleased when he came back but unfortunately he was a shadow of his former self.

Glenn Keeley was certainly a cult hero, he had several clubs but he only shone at Rovers, He went on loan to everton and only lasted about half an hour, Seem to remember him having a pub over Chorley way and he got done for trying to sort some trouble makers out by engaging them in a game of Baseball. The Judge saw it differently though.

Yes he did, right in front of me. Scunthorpe away when we needed a win to stay in the promotion frame with three games to go. Night match, coach driver got @#/? during the game and drove us down the M1 clapping along to the songs.

I think a " cult hero " shouldn't be one of the players you'd consider as a " legend " . More the sort of player that maybe wasn't here for long but the sort of player that when they played well the team played well.

A few players I rated in this group -

Mike Ferguson

Eamon Rogers

Ken Knighton

Alan Hunter

Don Martin

Noel Brotherston

Simon Barker

John Bailey

I'm sure I can come with more recent players given time.

Goodness, where do I start!! Great idea for a thread btw Old G.

Roger Jones

Stuart Metcalf

Don "have a fag" Martin

Speedie

Jim "chops" Fryatt

Glen "Killer" Keeley

Noel Brotherston

Scott Sellars

David Hird

John Bailey

Glenn Keeley was certainly a cult hero, he had several clubs but he only shone at Rovers, He went on loan to everton and only lasted about half an hour, Seem to remember him having a pub over Chorley way and he got done for trying to sort some trouble makers out by engaging them in a game of Baseball. The Judge saw it differently though.

It was the Bay Horse at Leyland Cross. He used to keep fit by running round Worden Park, I joined him a few times. A decent all round nice bloke.

I think a " cult hero " shouldn't be one of the players you'd consider as a " legend " . More the sort of player that maybe wasn't here for long but the sort of player that when they played well the team played well.

Mike Ferguson

Eamon Rogers

Ken Knighton

Alan Hunter

Don Martin

Noel Brotherston

Simon Barker

John Bailey

I'd even go a bit further on your definition and restrict it to players who you wouldn't necessarily expect to be heroes elsewhere and who gave you unforgettable moments in otherwise fairly unsung careers.

Rogers, Knighton, Fryatt (for the City goal), Sir Roger, McNamee, Field, Beamo, Waggy, Keeley, Garner.

Sir Roger, Tony Field, Bailey, Rathbone, Hird, Beamo, Noel, Garner, Waggy, Keeley, Speeeeedie, Shearer, Hendry, Tugay

Came close - Kendal, Moran (Derby away should get him in), Jansen,

I'd even go a bit further on your definition and restrict it to players who you wouldn't necessarily expect to be heroes elsewhere and who gave you unforgettable moments in otherwise fairly unsung careers.

Rogers, Knighton, Fryatt (for the City goal), Sir Roger, McNamee, Field, Beamo, Waggy, Keeley, Garner.

In that case how about David Bentley, Roque Santa Cruz, Rudi Gestede, Billy McKinley, Howard Gayle, and definitely John Bailey

Mike Ferguson

Eamon Rogers

Ken Knighton

Alan Hunter

Don Martin

Noel Brotherston

Simon Barker

John Bailey

cracking list, can I add Graham Hawkins, Roger Jones and Duncan Mc Kenzie

Archived