BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Cult Heroes

Oldgregg86

I think a cult hero, as well as being a good player, should have that something different in his personality. Something that binds him to the fans,something that says he is one of us. Speedie running up to the Darwen End, goading the Newcastle fans after scoring was just that. In fact, after reading all the names put forward in this thread, I would say Speedie is number one.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a cult hero, as well as being a good player, should have that something different in his personality. Something that binds him to the fans,something that says he is one of us. Speedie running up to the Darwen End, goading the Newcastle fans after scoring was just that. In fact, after reading all the names put forward in this thread, I would say Speedie is number one.

Would agree wholeheartedly with that CLB.

Would Lee Williamson count as one because of THAT red card?

Always thought Howie Gayle was of a similar ilk to Speedie in that sense.

Some of Garner's antics towards Burnley fans over the years (quite apart from all of his goals) should put him near the top of the pile as well. Ditto Dunny.

What is a cult hero?

4-4-2 came up with this, in their search for fans cult hero's.........

What is a cult hero? That's the first question FourFourTwo had to answer before we asked a fan of every team in the country's top five divisions to pick out theirs.

The definition, of course, isn't set in stone – after all, such a topic hardly calls for perfection. Above all, though, a cult hero has to be someone who touched fans' hearts more than any other, not necessarily through what they did on the pitch but as a packaged-up personality. They're not supposed to be the best player who played for your club – though they might just have been.

Actually makes me happy reading this topic, it is open to interpretation what a cult hero is like some have already said. I'll just list some players who I think may apply over the last twenty years:

Tugay

Brad Friedel

Matt Jansen

David Dunn

Jordan Rhodes

Rudy Gestede

Martin Taylor

Nathan Blake

Corrado Grabbi

Matt Derbyshire

Jon Stead

Morten Gamst-Pedersen

Michel Salgado

Bruno Berner

Brett Emerton

Lorenzo Amoruso

Paul Dickov

Shefki Kuqi

Robbie Savage

Andre Ooijer

Ryan Nelsen

Stephen Warnock

Franco Di Santo

Shabani Nonda

Pascal Chimbonda

Gael Givet

Yakubu

That's what i was trying to say and the likes of Speedie/Gayle and many others define that. Others in my eyes are legends but cult hero's might not be around as long or be as good but they bring something a bit different and they always get remembered. Plenty good players down the years and they'll always be remembered as such but one or two others touch the club in a different way and that's a cult hero to me.

A lot of it came with the terraces and the types of player who've almost died out now with the term legend and star throw towards any guy who steps on the pitch. You had to earn the right to a cult hero.

Todd played over here in Aus for a couple of years 2009-2011 and was exactly the same as at Rovers although a bit slower, won player of the year in his first year

I met Andy Todd whilst I was over in Perth for the 2010 Ashes. He was sat a few rows behind me in the WACA with fellow Perth Glory team mate Robbie Fowler. The latter would fall into the opposite category to Rovers cult heroes!

Three of us in Rovers shirts went over and had a chat with Todd. He was a good bloke, was pleased that we wanted to speak to him and spoke fondly of his time at Rovers.

Paul Bradshaw, Sir Roger Jones, Bobby Hoy, Bobby Svarc, King Noel, Tugay, Cowans, Moran, Metcalfe, Shearer, Ripley, Newell, Martin "The Don", Beamo, Price, Hendry, Super Atko, Sellers, Windy Miller, Howard Gayle, Garner, Kennedy, McKenzie, Kendall, Gennoe, Jim Arnold, Bailey, Hird, Brannagan.

There have been so many down the years....

Going back to the 1960s, Ronnie was the most popular player and Duggie the best player but the cult figure was Fergie, Mike Ferguson. Fans loved him because he was a mercurial winger who could make the best defenders look silly but he was a bit of a bad Blackburn lad too - often in trouble with referees.

Going back to the 1960s, Ronnie was the most popular player and Duggie the best player but the cult figure was Fergie, Mike Ferguson. Fans loved him because he was a mercurial winger who could make the best defenders look silly but he was a bit of a bad Blackburn lad too - often in trouble with referees.

On his day he was unplayable. Lesser wingers got caps for England at that time but I suppose Alf Ramsey wouldn't take a chance on his temperament.

Trouble with this thread is people are confusing their favourite players with players who for one reason or another galvanised the whole fan base. Bellamy's a case in point - a brilliant player for us but he was with us for only 1 season, certainly not long enough to achieve cult status.

Don Martin had nothing like the talent of Bellamy but the fans really took to him and he was our talisman for many years. Cult players aren't always the best players either.

Trouble with this thread is people are confusing their favourite players with players who for one reason or another galvanised the whole fan base. Bellamy's a case in point - a brilliant player for us but he was with us for only 1 season, certainly not long enough to achieve cult status.

Don Martin had nothing like the talent of Bellamy but the fans really took to him and he was our talisman for many years. Cult players aren't always the best players either.

He was the last player to score a football league goal by shoulder charging the opposition goalkeeper over the goal line while he held the ball. He'd probably get a red card today.

Ben Marshall could be elevated towards cult status if him speaking out has the desired effect and we sees those rats in Pune scurry for the shadows.

His words were welcome and he's one of the few (only?) players to speak out but cult heroes don't behave like he's done for the past 4 years .

Archived