BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby at home

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Mahoney jumped in rashly at one point and his man skipped past, he then got up and jumped in again and won the ball back! 

He did - but he also let their left full back in 3 times without tracking him, until Lenihan had a word. I believe that's why Schteeve brought on Anya, thinking he would be able to exploit it better. Thankfully Mahoney had listened and made adjustments by that time.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good win one thing that stood out in the brief highlights is that no one is crossing the ball but passing it along the floor Liam Feeney which led to the penalty. Long may they continue to play to their strengths and not their weaknesses though they should have known long before now.

2 minutes ago, JAL said:

Good win one thing that stood out in the brief highlights is that no one is crossing the ball but passing it along the floor Liam Feeney which led to the penalty. Long may they continue to play to their strengths and not their weaknesses though they should have known long before now.

How well do you reckon Nyambe played  JAL ?

7 hours ago, Tom said:

in Lamberts first few he had people start to think about the playoffs then we tailed off

Very good point, tempered my optimism a bit.  Let's hope it's not that scenario again.

Heard from an impeccable source that Dunn and D. Lowe were tearing their hair out in the second half over the failure of Feeney to stick to the game plan. It seems he couldn't (or wouldn't) do as they asked. I was surprised when he was taken off as I thought he had played well. I have noticed that Feeney is completely one dimensional and can only go outside. Basically if he can outpace the full back which he could in the last two games he is good. If he doesn't have the beating of his marker for pace, he has no plan b and goes missing. 

I guess Mahoney was introduced to add a bit more creativity. However he didn't ever get on the ball and we looked poorer for it. It will be interesting to see the line up for Saturday. I think Mowbray will be quite demanding and It will help us learn a thing or two about the character of some of these lads. 

• Mike E unpinned this topic
31 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Heard from an impeccable source that Dunn and D. Lowe were tearing their hair out in the second half over the failure of Feeney to stick to the game plan. It seems he couldn't (or wouldn't) do as they asked. I was surprised when he was taken off as I thought he had played well. I have noticed that Feeney is completely one dimensional and can only go outside. Basically if he can outpace the full back which he could in the last two games he is good. If he doesn't have the beating of his marker for pace, he has no plan b and goes missing. 

I guess Mahoney was introduced to add a bit more creativity. However he didn't ever get on the ball and we looked poorer for it. It will be interesting to see the line up for Saturday. I think Mowbray will be quite demanding and It will help us learn a thing or two about the character of some of these lads. 

What was their gameplan? I thought he did everything a player of his ability could do to be honest, got back well and put a couple of decent crosses in... that's worrying if they weren't happy with his performance.

We've certainly had worse wingers when it comes to pace and crossing ability, however Liam Feeble is more apt, long time since I've seen someone duck out of so many challenges... and the Riverside used to call Wilcox 'Handbag'.

20 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

So another good game from Feeney apparently?

May I again hesitantly suggest that his reputation be upgraded from 'oh god he's in the lineup again' to 'let's see how he does today', i.e. give him a fair shake at least?

Interesting that Stokes didn't even make the bench, but nice to see Tomlinson thrown on and that he wasn't just a placeholder on the bench.

Agreed. Bolton fans rated him and he got more assists last season than anyone at our club. Mick McCarthy also wanted to sign him.

He isn't a particularly intelligent footballer and he is limited. But he's quick and he can cross a ball. That's where we are as a club, left to fight over the freebies who have some decent attributes but who won't be touched by the moneyed teams in the division: Brown, Bennett, Stokes, Graham, Guthrie, Akpan etc etc

That's why a good manager who can wring out every last drop of talent from them is vital. So is a manager who can organise them into a cohesive unit. Mowbray seems a bit more at it than the last incumbent. 

Coyle FFS! 

8 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

Re Your first paragraph. You could have said that about Ian Miller.

32 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Agreed. Bolton fans rated him and he got more assists last season than anyone at our club. Mick McCarthy also wanted to sign him.

He isn't a particularly intelligent footballer and he is limited. But he's quick and he can cross a ball. That's where we are as a club, left to fight over the freebies who have some decent attributes but who won't be touched by the moneyed teams in the division: Brown, Bennett, Stokes, Graham, Guthrie, Akpan etc etc

That's why a good manager who can wring out every last drop of talent from them is vital. So is a manager who can organise them into a cohesive unit. Mowbray seems a bit more at it than the last incumbent. 

Coyle FFS! 

A bit harsh on some of the players you mention there. Graham and Bennet could play at teams in and around the play offs I reckon. Maybe Guthrie as well,if he starts being a bit more consistent. On Feeney ,didn't warnock try and sign him in January? If McCarthy and Warnock want him at this level,that's an endorsement for me! 

• Backroom
6 hours ago, JAL said:

Can only go off what others present say in that he did reasonably well.

He didn't play reasonably well, he played in a manner that the rb spot should be his now.

After a yellow card, he still put in clever tackles and supported the attack with his pace and can also cross well. Think of a (championship standard) pacey version of Emerton.

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

He didn't play reasonably well, he played in a manner that the rb spot should be his now.

After a yellow card, he still put in clever tackles and supported the attack with his pace and can also cross well. Think of a (championship standard) pacey version of Emerton.

Good old Brett. I liked him a lot but for a 6 footer he was an awful header of the ball.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Good old Brett. I liked him a lot but for a 6 footer he was an awful header of the ball.

He was a really nice guy for a chat, Brett. Very accommodating. Top fella. After his debut I thought we had (as Steve Kean would say) found the next Cafu.   

Archived