Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby at home

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Dons tin hat.

Thought Lowe had a good game tonight. 

Did all the running for Guthrie who really struggled to find his footing against Derbys midfield. Lowe made several interceptions, blocks and harried the opposition but needs to make runs forward and get his head up more in a two.

Gallagher was my m.o.m, worked his arse off, won a penalty and really put himself about. Conway, Feeney and Guthrie also somewhat impressed in a tight game.

What a difference a semi organised plan makes to a team. I also love how TM instantly "apologised" for the defending for the last 25 like we did but I agree that it was necessary, those points are a necessity! 

Just now, alcd said:

As TM persevered with him for 3 seasons it's a fair bet we're stuck with him and he'll probably get a contract extension:angry:

Clean sheet. I don't rate him either but bloody hell.

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Dullest first half I've seen all season but Mowbray seems to have had a game plan. Managed to nick the goal and then defended for dear life. We got the run of things tonight as Derby could have got two towards the end with a couple of shots in the box and then hitting the bar at the death.

Hopefully Mowbray is a lucky manager, if not a great one because lucky managers get those sorts of breaks. Nowhere near out of the woods yet but a step in the right direction. Still feel that we need to win against Wigan and get a result against Cardiff.

Onwards and upwards and hope we can vary on paying wages. The Big Six offer does smack of a need to get cash in the door now.

Stu, calm down lad. I've never seen you as happy.

1-0 to the Rovers! 

This is no longer a retirement home for the clinically useless. We're going back to work. And after the international break I suspect a lot of players will be match fit for the first time this season. Until then. Gotta just grind it out.

• Backroom

That game is massive, a draw wouldn't be catastrophic but a win would take us out of the bottom 3 and 5 above Wigan.

Bristol will now panic in any game they lead and Wolves are only 2 points (and one game) better off than us.

A very welcome three points.  Never felt the result was in doubt.  Have watched the Rovers on scores of occasions over the years when I felt we would never score even if we played until the next day, got the same feeling about Derby tonight!

Steele's distribution is woeful, the worst I can recall of any previous Rovers' keeper.  Mulgrew was superb.  Williams is a liability.  Feeney looked threatening and a bit surprised when he was taken off on the hour.  Sadly, so many of our moves come to a shuddering halt with Lowe.  The years have caught up with Conway - can't understand why he was man of the match.  Emnes missed a sitter whilst I've seen Gallagher have better games.  Couldn't fault the effort from anyone but those last 15 minutes, seemed like the whole team had lost its legs as we dropped deeper and deeper - didn't know who was most nervous, the players or the fans!

As for Derby, couldn't understand why they persevered with Nugent up front - what a donkey.  An average outfit who flatter to deceive.

Attendance - about 7,000 in the ground.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards.  No survival worries for me.  Ordering a case of one of my favourite reds tomorrow courtesy of a Rovers' win at 21/10.  COYB! 

very good win and one that was very much deserved.

First half we had 3 good chances and we bossed the first half.

Second half we played decent and deserved to take the lead. Wasn't confident when Conway took it but he put it away very well.

Then We had to defend and been very organised. And we were.

On Mowbray, he has a plan A and plan B. something the previous manager never had. He has worked on the structure of the side with the ball and without it aswell. we are so much better organised and positioning. He made his subs very quickly when he wanted to change formation and is very much proactive in doing so. Not afraid of bring on Tomlinson when Guthrie was shattered. Good to see he isn't afraid to bring on the young player. very good start so far and lets hope it continue in the future. Players are playing for him.

Mulgrew and Lenihan were excellent. Nyambe was very good considering he picked up a early booking but is maturity very quickly.

Also very good to hear the fans sing Tony Mowbray's Blue and White Army!!!

We listened to Mowbray on the radio on the journey home and he explained his rationale in dropping Graham tonight. Basically he respects Derby and thought we would be pinned back a bit which would mean us counter attacking. He thought Gallagher and Emnes would be better at that than Graham. 

Whilst there is nothing revolutionary in that way of thinking, I can't remember Coyle ever offering any tactical nous like this at any point all season.

I am really warming to Mowbray. His use of subs in both games has been much more intelligent than Coyle's.

I thought the crowd carried the players through the last ten minutes. Absolutely vital that the players feel supported. You could see how much it meant at the end.

Massive win!

Just now, Colt Seavers said:

Whilst there is nothing revolutionary in that way of thinking, I can't remember Coyle ever offering any tactical nous like this at any point all season.

Looks like you and a few players agree 

The players felt that the former Burnley, Bolton and Wigan boss was not doing enough tactical and analysis work with them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tim-sherwood-set-emotional-blackburn-9864811

Just now, Mercerman said:

A very welcome three points.  Never felt the result was in doubt.  Have watched the Rovers on scores of occasions over the years when I felt we would never score even if we played until the next day, got the same feeling about Derby tonight!

Steele's distribution is woeful, the worst I can recall of any previous Rovers' keeper.  Mulgrew was superb.  Williams is a liability.  Feeney looked threatening and a bit surprised when he was taken off on the hour.  Sadly, so many of our moves come to a shuddering halt with Lowe.  The years have caught up with Conway - can't understand why he was man of the match.  Emnes missed a sitter whilst I've seen Gallagher have better games.  Couldn't fault the effort from anyone but those last 15 minutes, seemed like the whole team had lost its legs as we dropped deeper and deeper - didn't know who was most nervous, the players or the fans!

As for Derby, couldn't understand why they persevered with Nugent up front - what a donkey.  An average outfit who flatter to deceive.

Attendance - about 7,000 in the ground.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards.  No survival worries for me.  Ordering a case of one of my favourite reds tomorrow courtesy of a Rovers' win at 21/10.  COYB! 

The players fitness rates are probably nowhere near what Mowbray wants. expect this to change when he has a full pre season with them.

On Derby, Nugent was awful. Ince is one footed and no right foot.

They passed the ball but no end product. Lacked an quality striker or two.

Is McClaren the right man to get them promotion? not sure at all

• Backroom

Heartening that at the end of a massive game under a lot of pressure we ended the game with 3 academy players that have broke into the squad this season along with Lenihan on the pitch.

Nymabe is showing great potential now.

Mahoney looks to have flashes of brilliance but isn't someone you would think would start every game and we look destined to lose him.

Tomlinson I think will make a player, isn't scared to mix it with anyone.

Great win and some icing on the cake after my Croatian co-worker has now declared himself a Rovers fan!

Thank you Tony Mowbray for giving us some cheer and hope.

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

very good win and one that was very much deserved.

First half we had 3 good chances and we bossed the first half.

Second half we played decent and deserved to take the lead. Wasn't confident when Conway took it but he put it away very well.

Then We had to defend and been very organised. And we were.

On Mowbray, he has a plan A and plan B. something the previous manager never had. He has worked on the structure of the side with the ball and without it aswell. we are so much better organised and positioning. He made his subs very quickly when he wanted to change formation and is very much proactive in doing so. Not afraid of bring on Tomlinson when Guthrie was shattered. Good to see he isn't afraid to bring on the young player. very good start so far and lets hope it continue in the future. Players are playing for him.

Mulgrew and Lenihan were excellent. Nyambe was very good considering he picked up a early booking but is maturity very quickly.

Also very good to hear the fans sing Tony Mowbray's Blue and White Army!!!

Mulgrew by far the best player at the club head and shoulders above anyone should be captain 

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Dons tin hat.

Thought Lowe had a good game tonight. 

I thought I was going to be the first to say my MOM was Jason Lowe. He put in a terrific shift tonight.

Also nice to see TM out on the pitch at the end, hugging each and every one of the Rovers players.

A real togetherness there.

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Last 20 mins was shocking and you can tell the players are nervous, but we won, in front of about 7000 of the 'old guard'!

Last 20 mins was great. Magnificent defending keeping out such a talented Derby strike force.

Last ditch tackles and blocks, defenders throwing themselves in front of shots Hendry style and generally denying them space or time in the last third.

How many would we have conceded under the previous manager?

Just now, A cup of beans said:

Just listened to the managers' post game interview on Rovers player. Been a long time since any manager has given such a broad insight into not only his stratergies, but his feelings and beliefs about certain players.

Enjoyable and personable.

Heard Mowbray's previous interviews before last night's game on Radio Rovers and I could listen to him speak on football all day. Admittedly he might revert a bit more towards "managerspeak" and the usual platitudes with a bad run of results or if he was under pressure but it still made a refreshing change.

Unfortunately I had to miss the game due to work commitments so I'll have to wait until Saturday to view the Mowbray revolution first hand. The thing that struck me was that we've gone 180 minutes without scoring a goal from open play and have come away with 4 points out of 6.

Long may it continue. For the rest of the season scrappy wins and a few large slices of good old fashioned luck are exactly what is required.

Archived