BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby at home

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Dullest first half I've seen all season but Mowbray seems to have had a game plan. Managed to nick the goal and then defended for dear life. We got the run of things tonight as Derby could have got two towards the end with a couple of shots in the box and then hitting the bar at the death.

Hopefully Mowbray is a lucky manager, if not a great one because lucky managers get those sorts of breaks. Nowhere near out of the woods yet but a step in the right direction. Still feel that we need to win against Wigan and get a result against Cardiff.

Onwards and upwards and hope we can vary on paying wages. The Big Six offer does smack of a need to get cash in the door now.

Always thought Big Sam was a very lucky manager. Nothing wrong with that at all and it's served him well throughout his career.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, AggyBlue said:

Last 20 mins was great. Magnificent defending keeping out such a talented Derby strike force.

Last ditch tackles and blocks, defenders throwing themselves in front of shots Hendry style and generally denying them space or time in the last third.

How many would we have conceded under the previous manager?

Yes, it was magnificent on reflection, I stand corrected.

• Backroom
5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Always thought Big Sam was a very lucky manager. Nothing wrong with that at all and it's served him well throughout his career.

Allardyce achieves results through meticulous planning, preparation and analysis. It's the exact opposite of luck.

So-called "lucky" managers always get found out in the end. See Owen Coyle for further information.

22 minutes ago, DE. said:

Allardyce achieves results through meticulous planning, preparation and analysis. It's the exact opposite of luck.

So-called "lucky" managers always get found out in the end. See Owen Coyle for further information.

And I suspect that Mowbray's cut from the same cloth as BFS.  A proper manager; arguably the first we've had since our owners misguidedly showed BFS the door.

32 minutes ago, DE. said:

Very true. You put yourself in the position to benefit from luck. 

Under Coyle we seemed to always blame "bad luck" , usually because we had gotten ourselves a goal down or something like that and had a referee decision go against us or hit the woodwork. 

Mowbray really is a breath of fresh air this season. 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

We all know how Allardyce achieves results and its not through luck or meticulous planning as we know it ;)

Mowbray has certainly had the run of the green in his first 2 outings though and long may it continue.

Just now, Gav said:

We all know how Allardyce achieves results and its not through luck or meticulous planning as we know it ;)

Mowbray has certainly had the run of the green in his first 2 outings and long may it continue.

He didn't fully implement his planning here but if you read about his time at Bolton nobody was more meticulous in planning than Sam at that stage.

Great win, unbelievably nervy at the end.

Positives: We won, Nyambe played really well, Gallagher was awesome, Lowe did ok, Mulgrew is a class above, Feeney played well, Conway played well, Lenihan defended well, Mowbray isn't afraid of bringing youth on, Tomlinson did well, atmosphere was refreshing.

Negatives: Steele is shocking in every department, Williams is afwul, Emnes was a liability, Mowbray was too late bringing Bennett on, Mahoney should never have been brought on.

All in all great night but there's plenty of improvement yet to be made, and Mowbray certainly still has loads to learn about the squad. 

Just now, RV Blue said:

Great win, unbelievably nervy at the end.

Positives: We won, Nyambe played really well, Gallagher was awesome, Lowe did ok, Mulgrew is a class above, Feeney played well, Conway played well, Lenihan defended well, Mowbray isn't afraid of bringing youth on, Tomlinson did well, atmosphere was refreshing.

Negatives: Steele is shocking in every department, Williams is afwul, Emnes was a liability, Mowbray was too late bringing Bennett on, Mahoney should never have been brought on.

All in all great night but there's plenty of improvement yet to be made, and Mowbray certainly still has loads to learn about the squad. 

Interesting. Some very positive ratings there. A few question marks also! 

Why do you think Mahoney should not have been brought on? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Interesting. Some very positive ratings there. A few question marks also! 

Why do you think Mahoney should not have been brought on? 

We were under pressure and he's not the greatest at defending, it also left two kids down the right hand side which I though was a bit risky.

So another good game from Feeney apparently?

May I again hesitantly suggest that his reputation be upgraded from 'oh god he's in the lineup again' to 'let's see how he does today', i.e. give him a fair shake at least?

Interesting that Stokes didn't even make the bench, but nice to see Tomlinson thrown on and that he wasn't just a placeholder on the bench.

• Backroom

Mahoney jumped in rashly at one point and his man skipped past, he then got up and jumped in again and won the ball back! 

Just now, Tom said:

Mahoney jumped in rashly at one point and his man skipped past, he then got up and jumped in again and won the ball back! 

That is what youth brings. Tomlinson slid in on Zlatan in the FA cup and I was well impressed! 

I think it is imperative that Mahoney is signed to a new deal. 

I would love to see him, Nyambe and Tomlinson in the starting line up next season. 

• Backroom

It was funny you felt the whole ground sigh when he went in naively but then he got up and did it again but with success!

Good to see a change from Coyle's predictable lineups and substitutions. I think Tomlinson and Mahoney will be so hungry when they come on that they will work their socks off, while more established players might feel they warranted a start and won't all the time. Hopefully Hoban will be in contention soon, and if Mulgrew can play in the middle, we will be able to dictate games too.

Very pleasing result and a bit of momentum going into a very important game at the weekend. As long as the work rate remains 100%, the team can approach the Wigan game with some degree of confidence rather than the fear we have been used to.

Organisation, tactics, work rate, belief.  Management!

Thanks Tony.

I have to admit Mowbray comes across as extremely likeable. I feel he is so much different since when i saw him at West Brom and Boro. He seems far more relaxed in this job and seems to be enjoying it the challenge and the whole situation. If he keeps us up, my days he will be remembered as a Hero in what has been such a dire, desperate, and devastating season. 

• Backroom

Let's just hope it's not another false dawn, in Lamberts first few he had people start to think about the playoffs then we tailed off.

The hope is a real killer although a win on Saturday and I may start to believe we can stay up!

Went to Ewood last night and came away feeling the Rovers had a proper man at the helm at last we may have been hanging on at the end but with Mowbray on the touch line shouting out orders you felt we would hang on for the win just like having BFS back.

A win against Derby has put us in great shape for home games against Wigan and Cardiff. Teams that we should have a great chance to beat and get points onboard. I feel we got momentum and with players coming back from injury we have a big chance staying up.

Archived