BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Trust

Coming to Blackburn Library in February.  Talk sponsored by ‘We Are The Rovers’ and given by our Trust Board lead on heritage the excellent historian Steve Williams.  Watch this space for more details.  A further Rovers talk by Steve is planned in the Chorley area as part of outreaching to the many Rovers fans* outside of BwD.

IMG_4673.thumb.jpeg.45ee88477b3bdc5c95891beb4580f364.jpeg
Incidentally Steve is presently researching a new book ‘Rovers in Uniform’ giving the stories of around 180 Rovers players to have served in the armed forces, some sadly never to return.

*over 50% of Rovers ST holders are from outside of BwD.

Edited by Mike Graham
  • Like 6

That ST stat is no surprise, take Darwen out of it and I’d wager that residents of Blackburn itself now probably make up a lower percentage of our ST holder base than they ever have before.

Yet, the club’s outreach is still massively focussed on Blackburn, worrying that once again it’s only fans groups that actually seem to recognise some of the pretty obvious issues we have with the fanbase.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Exactly Mattblue.  Many Rovers fans have never lived in BwD.  

I originate from Leyland and now live in a part of Chorley; virtually all of those ST holders who sit immediately around me in the JW Upper come from Chorley (especially the villages of Wheelton, Brinscall and Hoghton), Penwortham, Bamber Bridge and Leyland.  

Sad to say, and this is not a cheap point, it is almost certainly the case that all have a higher disposable income than most in BwD and is therefore another reason why the outside of BwD support and the diaspora of Rovers fans should be nurtured. 

I was speaking with a PNE Director some 12+ months back and their Club have a policy of targeting every PR postcode and it is fair game to build their fanbase across all those areas.  Are you aware for example that Chorley Borough starts after the 2nd terraced house on Moulden Brow which is the terrace on the right hand side as you start up the hill after coming out of Fenniscowles - they have PR postcodes!!  This is a real issue with me and I will not let it drop; Rovers, and the Community Trust relationship is with BwD schools, while PNE and others such as Accrington and Burnley to the East have a relationship with LCC schools which gives them far greater school coverage and for PNE a near monopoly over schools in our joint catchment area of Chorley and South Ribble.

Edited by Mike Graham
  • Like 6

Also, many Blackburners have moved out of the town over the past 20/30 years.

Of course, working within Blackburn itself and especially trying to pique the interest of an Asian community that have historically not been at Ewood in big numbers is important, vitally so. But the club seems to be oblivious to where big numbers of the fanbase actually reside, yet their own ticketing database should tell them that.

The whole operation needs a total shakeup, laziness and complacency over a decade plus has seen switched on commercial operations at PNE, Bolton, Burnley and even Stanley eating our lunch.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Mike Graham said:

Exactly Mattblue.  Many Rovers fans have never lived in BwD.  

I originate from Leyland and now live in a part of Chorley; virtually all of those ST holders who sit immediately around me in the JW Upper come from Chorley (especially the villages of Wheelton, Brinscall and Hoghton), Penwortham, Bamber Bridge and Leyland.  

Sad to say, and this is not a cheap point, it is almost certainly the case that all have a higher disposable income than most in BwD and is therefore another reason why the outside of BwD support and the diaspora of Rovers fans should be nurtured. 

I was speaking with a PNE Director some 12+ months back and their Club have a policy of targeting every PR postcode and it is fair game to build their fanbase across all those areas.  Are you aware for example that Chorley Borough starts after the 2nd terraced house on Moulden Brow which is the terrace on the right hand side as you start up the hill after coming out of Fenniscowles - they have PR postcodes!!  This is a real issue with me and I will not let it drop; Rovers, and the Community Trust relationship is with BwD schools, while PNE and others such as Accrington and Burnley to the East have a relationship with LCC schools which gives them far greater school coverage and for PNE a near monopoly over schools in our joint catchment area of Chorley and South Ribble.

Where i now live in Chorley almost on the Coppull border a few years ago when PNE slashed their early bird prices we got not one but two a few months apart hand delivered papers through the door advertising them.

Also there was a few large adverts in the Chorley Guardian and citizen as well as the LP.

A year or two before that it was Bolton Wanderers sending players into local schools around here handing tickets out.

Meanwhile in Blackburn there were buses and taxis driving around advertising out of date Rovers STs from about  3 years earlier !

If you have a project you have to convince people to get onboard with it and get behind it especially in an area like this where money is so tight and some people even tighter.

If you don't then it's just the loyal fans and the casual ones who'll come to odd games or need a winning run to convince them.

The manager and team try their best i'm convinced of that and they send out the right vibes but the Owners and CEO do the exact opposite.

That certainly doesn't help.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2023 at 14:16, Mike Graham said:

I was speaking with a PNE Director some 12+ months back and their Club have a policy of targeting every PR postcode 

I wouldn’t put too much credence to what your PNE director says Mike. He may have sanctioned that action but the minions carrying out his wishes obviously haven’t read the script. I have lived in the PR2 postcode for 16 years and thankfully have never been targeted by PNE. The bonus being less paper waste consigned to the bin. 

Nevertheless your points are very valid, unfortunately I would suspect that the villages you mention will not be known by the likes of Waggot, nor will he have the gumption to look at their location on a map. 

Apathy is their watchword

Edited by Ianrally
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Ianrally said:

I wouldn’t put too much credence to what your PNE director says Mike. He may have sanctioned that action but the minions carrying out his wishes obviously haven’t read the script. I have lived in the PR2 postcode for 16 years and thankfully have never been targeted by PNE. The bonus being less paper waste consigned to the bin. 

Nevertheless your points are very valid, unfortunately I would suspect that the villages you mention will not be known by the likes of Waggot, nor will he have the gumption to look at their location on a map. 

Apathy is their watchword

I don't think I have ever received anything from PNE and I live in PR1 and have done since 1985. And I'm pretty sure I'm on their database given I have bought the odd ticket direct from them.

Local Brindle based Rovers historian Steve Williams is making one of his excellent talks at Blackburn Library in February.  For those who have heard Steve present before you will know you will be in for in excellent evening.

This is sponsored by We Are The Rovers - the Rovers Supporters Trust.  Free entry.

e397ba53-f897-4a0c-8973-45bf08f0f5a0.thumb.jpeg.bb3795a903946d80d2eea9bebc2714ec.jpeg

Edited by Mike Graham
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Mike Graham said:

Rovers Trust ‘We Are The Rovers’ news article.  Feedback on our new website is welcome.

https://www.roverstrust.com/news/watford-post-match-comment

Not sure it’s all there - the first paragraph reads: 

The involvement of brfcs.com, 4000 Holes Fanzine and RoversChat podcast was invaluable. Without these groups working in partnership and, of course, the active involvement of the Club and Community Trust.

Feels like it’s missing something before “the involvement” ?

43 minutes ago, jumpin' said:

We are being run into the ground. We have an opportunity with JDT to move forward, but he doesn’t have the correct support.

Sorry, I thought you meant the We are the Rovers/Rovers trust