BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

This is what puzzles me. We couldn't afford the bare minimum that would have kept us up last year...

That is why so many expect to lose Mulgrew/Lenihan right at the end of the window. If they stay and we bring in someone like Bogle, WTF was going on this time last last year,  and again in January?!

the money go round....until these twohats we won't progress..

Bogle highly rated in the lower divisions but the step up to the championship was too great a bit like Will Greig

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

This is what puzzles me. We couldn't afford the bare minimum that would have kept us up last year...

That is why so many expect to lose Mulgrew/Lenihan right at the end of the window. If they stay and we bring in someone like Bogle, WTF was going on this time last last year,  and again in January?!

They probably forgot they owned a football club. Mowbray going to India reminded them.

33 minutes ago, Athlete said:

Bogle highly rated in the lower divisions but the step up to the championship was too great a bit like Will Greig

To be fair Athlete you can't really judge whether Bogle is championship is championship level or not he only played there for a few months and he joined a terrible side

2 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

This was brought up in the latest podcast. The last time we got relegated they started spending like they never had before, or since.  This time the same, up there with the bigger spenders in the league and spending more on Dack than the last few transfer windows combined.

It only makes since if you don't believe in the big conspiracy. In effect they've realised that they're even further away than ever from the filthy lucre in the Prem so a few crumbs have been dropped from the table. They also seem to like Mowbray so he's been humoured for a while.

1 hour ago, Athlete said:

Bogle did ok in the very short spell in the championship. Id expect him to stay in that league 

Just to put this out there before the season starts - I had doubts about Raya before he got his chance last season.

He performed incredibly well in the 5 games he played at the end of the season. However it was only 5 games.

People including him in their reasons as to why this team will 'walk this league' are bonkers.

He's still vastly unproven in my eyes and his lack of height worries me.

The experienced backup is a must because if Raya hits a dodgy spell TM needs to have the option of taking him out of the firing line.

16 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Haha, that's awful.

Enjoy your new GK Sunderland fans :lol:

A debut to forget. Looked nervous and put his defence under pressure too often. 4

Read more at: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-0-5-celtic-player-ratings-as-steele-and-grabban-debut-in-pre-season-horror-show-1-8676770

11 hours ago, islander200 said:

To be fair Athlete you can't really judge whether Bogle is championship is championship level or not he only played there for a few months and he joined a terrible side

Wigan fans didn't think much of him 

10 minutes ago, robfranlong81 said:

Sounds like he's improved since leaving us...

Yep that's how low i rate him.

16 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Haha, that's awful.

Enjoy your new GK Sunderland fans :lol:

A debut to forget. Looked nervous and put his defence under pressure too often. 4

Read more at: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-0-5-celtic-player-ratings-as-steele-and-grabban-debut-in-pre-season-horror-show-1-8676770

49 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

id rather go with someone with experience. With Ripley we'd have 3 unproven young keepers.

Ripley is not unproven. Best keeper in League one last season with most clean sheets for Oldham who was fighting relegation. Already a legend there.

can't see Ripley coming here to play backup to Raya, so unlikely for me as it seems Raya will be given deserved chance this season.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sun reporting that Rovers want Keeper Ripley on loan. But Bristol City are after him aswell

Pointless imo, both Ripley and Raya have to be playing week in week out and I think Raya is more than good enough for us.

5 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Pointless imo, both Ripley and Raya have to be playing week in week out and I think Raya is more than good enough for us.

We need a settled keeper. Defenders like knowing the comfort of playing with someone week in week out. 

I can't see Ripley coming here for league cup & checktrade trophy games. 

1 minute ago, Irishrover213 said:

We need a settled keeper. Defenders like knowing the comfort of playing with someone week in week out. 

I can't see Ripley coming here for league cup & checktrade trophy games. 

If he comes he must have been promised that he's going to be first choice which would be a bad decision considering we've got Raya.

Connor Ripley kept the most clean sheets in League One last season, in a team that finished 16th. At 24, that's some feat. Looking at the Oldham forums, they really rate the guy.

Add to that, he's the son of a former Rovers legend. It'd be a boost to the fans, and I think he's more than worth getting based on merit as number one. I think we all like Raya, but we all know he's really gaffe-prone.

Sign Rippers up.

Just now, Phil T said:

Connor Ripley kept the most clean sheets in League One last season, in a team that finished 16th. At 24, that's some feat. Looking at the Oldham forums, they really rate the guy.

Add to that, he's the son of a former Rovers legend. It'd be a boost to the fans, and I think he's more than worth getting based on merit as number one. I think we all like Raya, but we all know he's really gaffe-prone.

Sign Rippers up.

Do we?

11 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

If he comes he must have been promised that he's going to be first choice which would be a bad decision considering we've got Raya.

Absolutely. I thought raya was fine in goal in the games he played in last season. Unless TM has seen something in training that has made him think twice 

Just now, RV Blue said:

Do we?

Perhaps a bit unfair, but I've seen my fair share of poor kicks and fumbles from him. We need someone who gives us confidence between the sticks. Raya might be that in time, but I'm still not convinced by him. I think Ripley looks a better choice between the two, and has proven it over a full season.

Raya has improved enormously since he started the 2015/16 season under Bowyer.  He wasn't ready then but based upon what I saw in his run late last season, he's certainly ready now.  I couldn't fault any aspect of his game and he has all the attributes to become a top, top goalkeeper.  I think the only issue we will have is keeping hold of him.

Fisher has to be played in August's mickey mouse cup games and if he shows he's ready then fine.  If he doesn't then that would be the time to strengthen the goalkeeping department.

19 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

we shouldn't be wasting money on a keeper to warm the bench.

Fisher can do that.

Very short-sighted. He's a young lad. If Raya gets injured after the window shuts then we'll be relying on a kid in one of the most important positions on the pitch. He could either sink or swim, if he sinks so do any of our potential promotion chances. All the good managers build from the back. They don't spunk it all on strikers and put a kid in the nets.

BTW who goes on the bench if Raya or Fisher gets injured?

Going into the season with only two goalkeepers, one of whom has yet to play a full season, and the other who has never played a game, is mental. Which is why Mowbray is after a keeper. And another striker.

1 minute ago, MGPensioner said:

promotion chances? ?

I doubt we can afford both. I mean the striker needs to be proven if we are to have any chance and will therefore cost £££. Unveiling blueboy (undisclosed) or MGP (free) will not get us promoted.

In the old days didn't they manage with 2 keepers?

They also didn't bother / need a GK on the bench.

You win games by putting the ball in the net pal. We need to win EVERY game.

He's said (I think) he wants four players. So one will be a keeper, another a forward. So we can afford both, even if they're on loan.

The worry is players head gets turned and we have to sell a couple because they ask to leave. Then we're in trouble because we'll need to bring in 6 or 7. Not easy at this stage. Mowbray, like Coyle last season, is practically having to put  a new team together in just a couple of months.

The last time we got out of this league we did it on a solid defence. Most teams get promotion that way. Not on conceding 2 every game and hoping to score 3. A quality keeper and a strong defence is vital.

Archived