BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, J*B said:

I've just had Sheffield Wednesday ring me at work - they've offered me £1.50 for my bloody car.

Cash the tax in, without telling them and then sell it. Make sure the tank is empty though, you get a sell on clause and a bonus if it used in a formula one race.

10 minutes ago, meadows said:

What a great anecdote Tony. 

Roger only missed the one game with that injury, the Rochdale game at home (3-0)  in which Terry Shanahan on loan from Ipswich scored twice.  Gerry McDonald got the other. 

John Barton deputised for Roger, his last game.    I always loved all the keepers, home or away as we little lads would always stand right behind the goal at First team or reserve games. Barton would sometimes pass the odd word to us when play was up the other end or we'd asked for his tie-ups and of course at that age it's like being greeted by royalty or something to have a footballer talk to you

This was the team that dayIMG_5456.thumb.PNG.016303c36fee37478c2eff46f44621a9.PNG

Thanks for the memories Jim. What a motley crew they look. From a fading memory we actually went bottom of the league after the Shrewsbury mauling and the 3-0 win against Rochdale had us dancing in the Blackburn End.

I find it very hard to put a figure on Mulgrew purely down to not knowing how much would be reinvested. Him playing a 75-85% of games would give us a very good chance of promotion. Even receiving £2m for him, of which you struggle to believe more than half would be reinvested would be worth far less than promotion back to the championship.

You would think that an offer of £100k means Sheff Wed want to give us a nominal fee and take on his contract in the mindset that we can't afford him. One thing we have found with our stupid owners they don't mind paying (building debt) silly wages.

11 minutes ago, cesus said:

I find it very hard to put a figure on Mulgrew purely down to not knowing how much would be reinvested. Him playing a 75-85% of games would give us a very good chance of promotion. Even receiving £2m for him, of which you struggle to believe more than half would be reinvested would be worth far less than promotion back to the championship.

You would think that an offer of £100k means Sheff Wed want to give us a nominal fee and take on his contract in the mindset that we can't afford him. One thing we have found with our stupid owners they don't mind paying (building debt) silly wages.

I still can't understand this. It's always playing on my mind whenever another bombshell is dropped regarding a players' wages. Could it be that they don't mind doing it because the losses can be absorbed into BRFC Athletic Plc company subsequently adding further debt in order to hide the losses of their other companies? I think it was Dunnfc that said he'd elaborate one day on how Venkys could use Rovers to effectively 'hide' other debts and protect share prices. I don't know if I missed it.

Obviously I don't want to side track this topic into another "Why do Venkys own us" but if someone with more financial knowledge than myself could provide some insight into this I think a few of us would be extremely appreciative.

It also goes to show for those that constantly complain about how much Venkys are mentioned that, ultimately, everything that happens at a club links back to the owners. They are simply an unavoidable topic.

31 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Joao ain't coming to League One, not a chance.

Also not a chance that Mowbray would want a trouble maker.

People seem to have forgotten that he was dropped last season for that. 

We need a striker with pace

Something about Joao tells me he's in a bit of a comfort zone - footballing-wise and financially. Perhaps when he went to Wednesday for no-doubt big wages, he took his foot off the gas. It feels like he's supposed to be in the Premier League shining and playing a part internationally, but that hasn't happened.

Joao is certainly talented, and I reckon Mowbray could get the best out of him. He'd be a gamble, but only Mowbray knows if he can succeed with him or not.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Ah so they just want to unsettle him do they?

we should respond with a £50 bid for Rhodes 

We should respond by telling them that we do not appreciate their despicable tactics and to do one and not to come back.

15 minutes ago, Al said:

We should respond by telling them that we do not appreciate their despicable tactics and to do one and not to come back.

If the bid is indeed true, I would expect TM to issue something in public echoing much the same sentiments. It would fit in with his current 'hands off' diatribe. 

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

People seem to have forgotten that he was dropped last season for that. 

We need a striker with pace

He was brought to the club by your hero Senior 

4 hours ago, meadows said:

What a great anecdote Tony. 

Roger only missed the one game with that injury, the Rochdale game at home (3-0)  in which Terry Shanahan on loan from Ipswich scored twice.  Gerry McDonald got the other. 

John Barton deputised for Roger, his last game.    I always loved all the keepers, home or away as we little lads would always stand right behind the goal at First team or reserve games. Barton would sometimes pass the odd word to us when play was up the other end or we'd asked for his tie-ups and of course at that age it's like being greeted by royalty or something to have a footballer talk to you

This was the team that dayIMG_5456.thumb.PNG.016303c36fee37478c2eff46f44621a9.PNG

Here goes.  I think we have back row Terry Garbett, (? Gerry Farrell?), Derek Faz, John Barton, Bryan Conlon, (? Freddie Goodwin?), front row Billy Wilson, Terry Shanahan, Johnny Price, (?, ? maybe McDonald & Dunning?), Mick Heaton

Some dross in there but some very good club servants (Faz, Billy Wilson, Mick Heaton).

Brings back both memories and nightmares !  They were happy days come rain or shine.

Sheffield Wednesday's Charlie Mulgrew offer rejected by Blackburn...

..Did'nt we recently buy Charlie? Yep, its only a year ago..?

Sheffield Wednesday have had a bid of £100,000 rising to £200,000 turned down by Blackburn Rovers for defender Charlie Mulgrew, Sky sources understand.

Cheek!!

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11703/10965162/sheffield-wednesdays-charlie-mulgrew-offer-rejected-by-blackburn

11 minutes ago, steadyjon said:

Sheffield Wednesday's Charlie Mulgrew offer rejected by Blackburn...

..Did'nt we recently buy Charlie? Yep, its only a year ago..?

Sheffield Wednesday have had a bid of £100,000 rising to £200,000 turned down by Blackburn Rovers for defender Charlie Mulgrew, Sky sources understand.

Cheek!!

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11703/10965162/sheffield-wednesdays-charlie-mulgrew-offer-rejected-by-blackburn

Tell them it's two million or shove it where the sun don't shine .

Archived