BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

38 minutes ago, Irishrover213 said:

Santa cruz was a class player. I remember him & Mccarthy destroying teams 

What a partnership. Both complimented each other perfectly. Signed both for less than 6 million combined. Let that sink in for a minute... 

A great time to be a Rovers fan then, duking it out with the big boys. Afraid of no team 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Sheffield Wednesday have had a bid accepted for Blackburn midfielder Charlie Mulgrew after they made an improved offer #SWFC #BRFC #Rovers https://t.co/NthYLrtYE5

I think this one will run and run. Could they be trying to unsettle him LOL?

But nothing could be worse than Man Utd's pursuit of Shearer that summer.I was almost glad he went to Newcastle!

24 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What a partnership. Both complimented each other perfectly. Signed both for less than 6 million combined. Let that sink in for a minute... 

A great time to be a Rovers fan then, duking it out with the big boys. Afraid of no team 

Bentley, for a time, provided them with some sublime service. He chipped in with a fair few goals too.

No reputable source has said anything about a bid being accepted for Mulgrew, only a couple of the fake news twitter transfer pages have put it out there so I wouldn't worry about that one. 

I hear Elliot Ward had a shocker yesterday along with Nyambe at centre back. I feel my views on our centre back situation has been vindicated.

Tony Mowbray must add to our defensive line if we are to stand a chance of promotion. We can't keep expecting to simply out score our opposition game after game. Ward isn't good enough anymore, Nyambe isn't ready to play centre half unless beside a guy like Mulgrew who can command him, Mulgrew can't stay fit and Lenihan has problems of his own.

If TM doesn't add a centre half I seriously fear for our promotion contentions. Something that doesn't even bear thinking about is spending more than one season in this league.

I think Lenihan will come on a lot this season after the experience of a full year in the Championship. Our starters are good enough to make sure we get out of this league.

As long as Venky's don't screw things up we should be fine I think.

2 minutes ago, mcflash said:

I think Lenihan will come on a lot this season after the experience of a full year in the Championship. Our starters are good enough to make sure we get out of this league.

As long as Venky's don't screw things up we should be fine I think.

With all due respect the only thing Venkys could do to screw things up this season is by sell our players at the last minute - something we have to expect. What needs to be done is for TM to see, and appreciate, the lack of depth at the back. This idea we need another forward before we need more defensive players is absurd. Quite simply, if the Venkys decide to sell CM on deadline day we are left with one of the worst defences in recent years and that's saying something.

This isn't a problem with Venkys, although they underlie almost every problem within this club, this is a problem for Mowbray. He has promised 4 new players, whether they are loans of signings is irrelevant, 2 of them need to be defenders of real quality or we will struggle against the better teams this year.

I think Ward will be OK as part of a back 4 with a partner. As the centre of a back 3 it's pretty apparent he doesn't have the mobility, particularly if the midfielders don't cover back well enough. In fairness though with Mulgrew and Lenihan fit it's unlikely he would ever start there. Another experienced centre half wouldn't do any harm, but I thibk it will be difficult to get a quality one in who knows they will be 3rd choice at best barring injuries. 

Tony has some wheeling and dealing to do with these remaining signings. The biggest win will be if we keep Mulgrew and Lenihan though. I have faith Tony will get some quality in to add competition and depth. Be under no illusions, we still need more bodies in. It would be  a struggle for our current squad even on an attritional level as things stand 

18 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

With all due respect the only thing Venkys could do to screw things up this season is by sell our players at the last minute - something we have to expect. What needs to be done is for TM to see, and appreciate, the lack of depth at the back. This idea we need another forward before we need more defensive players is absurd. Quite simply, if the Venkys decide to sell CM on deadline day we are left with one of the worst defences in recent years and that's saying something.

This isn't a problem with Venkys, although they underlie almost every problem within this club, this is a problem for Mowbray. He has promised 4 new players, whether they are loans of signings is irrelevant, 2 of them need to be defenders of real quality or we will struggle against the better teams this year.

I don't think I made it clear in my last post. I think we have the starting 11 to get us out of the league. We do need cover for sure but we aren't going to improve our starting 11 and we don't need to as the starting 11 is good enough to finish top two in my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think Ward will be OK as part of a back 4 with a partner. As the centre of a back 3 it's pretty apparent he doesn't have the mobility, particularly if the midfielders don't cover back well enough. In fairness though with Mulgrew and Lenihan fit it's unlikely he would ever start there. Another experienced centre half wouldn't do any harm, but I thibk it will be difficult to get a quality one in who knows they will be 3rd choice at best barring injuries. 

Tony has some wheeling and dealing to do with these remaining signings. The biggest win will be if we keep Mulgrew and Lenihan though. I have faith Tony will get some quality in to add competition and depth. Be under no illusions, we still need more bodies in. It would be  a struggle for our current squad even on an attritional level as things stand 

I think ward has proven in the friendly against Carlisle he isn't good enough. By the accounts of people present he was utterly shocking and looked completely out of his depth - couple that with his performances, when he has been fit, and it's obvious he's a liability. He needs to go. 

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I hear Elliot Ward had a shocker yesterday along with Nyambe at centre back. I feel my views on our centre back situation has been vindicated.

Tony Mowbray must add to our defensive line if we are to stand a chance of promotion. We can't keep expecting to simply out score our opposition game after game. Ward isn't good enough anymore, Nyambe isn't ready to play centre half unless beside a guy like Mulgrew who can command him, Mulgrew can't stay fit and Lenihan has problems of his own.

If TM doesn't add a centre half I seriously fear for our promotion contentions. Something that doesn't even bear thinking about is spending more than one season in this league.

To be honest I am happy with the defence I would only add if we sold someone as I would like to see Wharton giving a go. 

17 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think ward has proven in the friendly against Carlisle he isn't good enough. By the accounts of people present he was utterly shocking and looked completely out of his depth - couple that with his performances, when he has been fit, and it's obvious he's a liability. He needs to go. 

And yet he was decent against Grimsby and had a fine end to the season as part of a defence that conceded very few goals in the run in. I don't think we need to worry too much about Ward next season. The key to any success in my opinion is keeping Mulgrew.

17 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And yet he was decent against Grimsby and had a fine end to the season as part of a defence that conceded very few goals in the run in. I don't think we need to worry too much about Ward next season. The key to any success in my opinion is keeping Mulgrew.

13 appearances in 2 seasons, with a large portion of them appearances having sub-standard performances is something to worry about. 1 or 2 sporadically good games and a 'decent' performances against Grimsby shouldn't alleviate those concerns. 

15 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

13 appearances in 2 seasons, with a large portion of them appearances having sub-standard performances is something to worry about. 1 or 2 sporadically good games and a 'decent' performances against Grimsby shouldn't alleviate those concerns. 

That's why I specified the run in last season. From memory in those six games we conceded three or four goals. Neither should an indifferent performance last night cloud anybody's judgement as I saw very little in terms of criticism about him before the Carlisle game.

Did he not join in January 16 and suffer a bad injury (broken ankle perhaps) in the summer of that year?

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

That's why I specified the run in last season. From memory in those six games we conceded three or four goals. Neither should an indifferent performance last night cloud anybody's judgement as I saw very little in terms of criticism about him before the Carlisle game.

Did he not join in January 16 and suffer a bad injury (broken ankle perhaps) in the summer of that year?

He did yeah. He was a PL signing but that still doesn't detract from the 13 performances in 18 months. He clearly can't keep fit. Prior to us signing him he'd had a handful of appearances for Huddersfield, who returned him if I'm right, and no appearances the season before that for Bournemouth. The last time he reached double figures for appearances was 2013. I think that says it all.

23 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Came as back up then I think was injured again when there was a slot after the others started to depart. Never had many decent games but has never got going here really although if fit he should be decent enough for this league but he's not contributed enough even as a back up player imo.

Time to freshen up I reckon he doesn't strike me as robust enough for a long league 1 slog.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Oh come on you can't say someone " has proven" they aren't good enough after one game in a back 3 with two full backs. We need more competition though, no doubt about that. I can't see Ward going anywhere to be honest. 

Archived