BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Here goes.  I think we have back row Terry Garbett, (? Gerry Farrell?), Derek Faz, John Barton, Bryan Conlon, (? Freddie Goodwin?), front row Billy Wilson, Terry Shanahan, Johnny Price, (?, ? (maybe McDonald & Dunning?), Mick Heaton

Some dross in there but some very good club servants (Faz, Billy Wilson, Mick Heaton).

Brings back both memories and nightmares !  They were happy days come rain or shine.

At first glance I thought the player middle of the front row was Bobby Svarc

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Let's see what happens, Mulgrew is made of glass so if he does have a niggle I'm glad he's not risked.

Not playing him due to a £100k bid would be most odd but we wouldn't be surprised would we 

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Let's see what happens, Mulgrew is made of glass so if he does have a niggle I'm glad he's not risked.

Not playing him due to a £100k bid would be most odd but we wouldn't be surprised would we 

Unless his head has gone and he wants out. Let's hope not but the timing does seem a bit convenient.

One thing is for sure, we can't go into next Saturday's match with Nyambe and Ward at centre half.

18 minutes ago, rigger said:

At first glance I thought the player middle of the front row was Bobby Svarc

Definitely not Svarc.  He was a Jim Smith signing some years down the line.

4 hours ago, meadows said:

What a great anecdote Tony. 

Roger only missed the one game with that injury, the Rochdale game at home (3-0)  in which Terry Shanahan on loan from Ipswich scored twice.  Gerry McDonald got the other. 

John Barton deputised for Roger, his last game.    I always loved all the keepers, home or away as we little lads would always stand right behind the goal at First team or reserve games. Barton would sometimes pass the odd word to us when play was up the other end or we'd asked for his tie-ups and of course at that age it's like being greeted by royalty or something to have a footballer talk to you

This was the team that dayIMG_5456.thumb.PNG.016303c36fee37478c2eff46f44621a9.PNG

Crikey, that was a poor team, barely good enough for the old third division.... and to think that only about 7 years previously Rovers had been top of the first division!. Any similarities between 1965-75 and now are pure co-incidence...................

Rovers need to take into account the value / cost of NOT getting promoted. 

Raising a few hundred grand vs the cost of spending another 12/24/36 months in this league.

17 minutes ago, Baz said:

Rovers need to take into account the value / cost of NOT getting promoted. 

Raising a few hundred grand vs the cost of spending another 12/24/36 months in this league.

Likely to be up there with Graham in terms of salary though balanced against his injury record.  Bit of a conundrum is Mulgrew.  On his day best player at the club, tempered against only playing half a season.  Would only consider letting go if a couple of good signings are brought in first.

What's Mark Hudson up to these days?  Knocking on but a great leader and a good old fashioned warrior CB

There is the thought that if Mulgrew fitness deteriorates (as players do when they get older) and it's not great to begin with, and given the wages he's on then perhaps there is a good case to get rid. One significant injury (as oppose to niggle/knock) and we could be looking at an expensive wage on the treatment table for 2 years. In a normal club I'd take the money and reinvest. 

Under Venkys up to now no way would I sell as any replacement would be worse. They so far have seemed to do things differently this summer - although there is still time for them to screw it up. Personally I suspect they will go at least some way in intent and practice to lowering the success of the window and am wishing the transfer window slammed shut tomorrow to keep it as a positive one. (Even if we are thin on the ground.) Overall I say keep because there are so many pluses to him, BUT if we were a better run club and had more certainty of how our batnuts owners would act I think my answer would be very different - to take the money and spend on lower risk/less injury prone players. 

By take the money I mean a sensible bid not the 22p that Sheff Weds have offered...

3 hours ago, Athlete said:

Exactly ten years ago we signed santa Cruz.. Now  just look at the calibre of players we're signing yet some posters are getting excited about.. Thanks venkys 

I remember that. I was on holiday in ireland. Read it on teletext. 

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

Here goes.  I think we have back row Terry Garbett, (? Gerry Farrell?), Derek Faz, John Barton, Bryan Conlon, (? Freddie Goodwin?), front row Billy Wilson, Terry Shanahan, Johnny Price, (?, ? maybe McDonald & Dunning?), Mick Heaton

Some dross in there but some very good club servants (Faz, Billy Wilson, Mick Heaton).

Brings back both memories and nightmares !  They were happy days come rain or shine.

Line up is as follows: Terry Garbett, Gerry Farrell, Faz, John Barton, Bryan Conlon, Freddie Goodwin.  Front Row: Billy Wilson, Terry Shanahan, Johnny Price, Ben Arentoft, Gerry McDonald and Mick Heaton.  As you say, great memories and players who were far removed from today's overpaid players.  I believe Bryan Conlon bought a milk round when he moved to Rovers and delivered milk first thing in a morning before training!

5 hours ago, Athlete said:

Exactly ten years ago we signed santa Cruz.. Now  just look at the calibre of players we're signing yet some posters are getting excited about.. Thanks venkys 

Ten years!!!! That is frightening.

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good that Mowbray keep saying Lenihan and Mulgrew arent for sale. 

My house isn't for sale but if someone made me an offer that I thought was too good to refuse then............................

6 minutes ago, Mercer said:

My house isn't for sale but if someone made me an offer that I thought was too good to refuse then............................

Thing is, would you go live on the street or re invest. I think we both know someone as savvy as yourself Merc would be in big detached with an extended wine cellar.

Hopefully, if they do want to leave - which happens in football, perhaps TM has his finger on the pulse and some funds to replace.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Thing is, would you go live on the street or re invest. I think we both know someone as savvy as yourself Merc would be in big detached with an extended wine cellar.

Hopefully, if they do want to leave - which happens in football, perhaps TM has his finger on the pulse and some funds to replace.

nah - he'd be down the bookies lumping it all on rovers to go undefeated this season.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Would you then do a serious downsize and use the surplus to pay it's bills for a few years then live somewhere else off your other income and just ignore your project until the next time you could be bothered ?

Archived