BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

Just now, Mike E said:

Oztumer, McGeoch, Armstrong, Chapman in would give us a lot of depth, pace and creativity.

Raya

Nyambe  Lenihan  Mulgrew  Bell

McGeoch  Smallwood

Oztumer  Dack  Chapman

Arma

Not for me.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
1 hour ago, J*B said:

Payne out Oztumer in would be sensible, can see him staying with Huddersfield especially if they go down.

I was thinking that myself, similar players but Otzumer seems just as productive so I’d be happy with that.

Think if could be a decent summer if we get over the line and seal promotion.

Good feeling around the club I could see players being keen to join

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Dont think we should go back for Chapman, too big a risk due to his hamstring injuries, would be a sentimental signing.

If he is available on loan I'd have him back.He still has another year on his Boro deal but they have a lot of wide players and I don't think Pulis will use him 

17 hours ago, Swanson said:

Any other players from this league worth looking at?

Otzumer on free?

What would Marriott cost?

Taylor from Rotherham?

Nolan at Shrewsbury?

I've never seen Marriott before so Looking forward to seeing him tonight. 

Nolan would be good signing and Taylor would bring pace

not sure I would sign Otzumer as he will never be better than Dack unless he will be happy as squad player

Wouldnt be overly surprised regarding Oztumer if we did, especially on a free, but hes just a number 10, so is Dack, so hed only be a sub if he joined.

Think Marriott and Nolan would be far too much, and not too sure if Taylor is even a regular at Rotherham. Maybe Adelakun at Scunthorpe, pacy, young and I think free.

How much would Nolan cost? 

Taylor has been playing recently for Rotherham. 

I seen Palace linked with Marriott for 8 million so you are right to make that comment. But we do need a new target man as Graham aint going to playing every game next season so Lets see who we get linked with and sign with this new scouting network in place now. 

17 hours ago, J*B said:

Payne out Oztumer in would be sensible, can see him staying with Huddersfield especially if they go down.

Don't see Huddersfield going down now, But I would Sign Payne as he will improve as player under Mowbray technical, tactical and Strength wise. 

Dont think we should go back for Chapman, too big a risk due to his hamstring injuries, would be a sentimental signing.

I would look at Signing Chapman permanently if the deal is good one for us and depends what Boro want and whether he will be part of their team next season. 

I'd have Chapman back on loan just as long as 'Boro are playing the lions share of his wages. I wouldn't sign him permanently without seeing him play more than a few games again first. Football is littered with players who were plagued with similar injuries and never achieved anything like their potential.

I like Payne, he was awesome at Oxford. He's been a flop here, I wonder why that is ? I know he hasn't had much time in his best position but he's not set the World on fire when he has.

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd have Chapman back on loan just as long as 'Boro are playing the lions share of his wages. I wouldn't sign him permanently without seeing him play more than a few games again first. Football is littered with players who were plagued with similar injuries and never achieved anything like their potential.

I like Payne, he was awesome at Oxford. He's been a flop here, I wonder why that is ? I know he hasn't had much time in his best position but he's not set the World on fire when he has.

Mowbray would rather play a half-fit Dack than Payne, which tells you everything you need to know. Not sure why but it's just not worked out for him here at all.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

There are quite a few lads in this division who I would be happy to sign if we went up.  

In fact, if you cherry picked the  best players from league one,  You would have a pretty good Champ team.    There aren't many primadonnas at this level and they all seem to put a shift in.  

Yeah, there's one in that champ team who can't get into our team !

11 hours ago, DE. said:

Not sure why but it's just not worked out for him here at all.

Because he plays in Bradley's position and Bradley is a far better player in front of goal. When you play one up front you need a goal-scoring midfielder or two. Bradley is as natural a goal-scorer as I can remember us having for a long time. Even at Gillingham his goal-scoring record for an attacking midfielder in what was probably an average side was phenomenal.  

Payne looks to me like a creator of chances who would pop up with the odd goal.

8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Because he plays in Bradley's position and Bradley is a far better player in front of goal. When you play one up front you need a goal-scoring midfielder or two. Bradley is as natural a goal-scorer as I can remember us having for a long time. Even at Gillingham his goal-scoring record for an attacking midfielder in what was probably an average side was phenomenal.  

Payne looks to me like a creator of chances who would pop up with the odd goal.

I agree with that but Payne got a really good goal against us in the game at Oxford. Two different styles of midfield players really. Dack's more of a Dunny style player while Payne is more Cairney style.

Adelakun (scunthorpe), Forster-Caskey (Charlton), Carey (Plymouth), Marriott and Maddison (Posh) and Aneke (Mk Dons) have been good players we have played against this season, all the players we should looking at signing in the summer. Wigan also have a couple of very good players, but we will be in the same league as them. Interestingly Jack Payne is still second in the assists table, only behind Carey, thought he would have done so much better here, but hasn't been given too much of a chance.

I'd do everything possible to get Armstrong back and play him as the main striker with Danny as back up or an option from the bench. I'd also be looking at Holmes and adelukin from scunthorpe.We really need to ship Evans out and get his wage off the books. Their are far better midfielders who would take half his wage in this division and with Travis knocking on the door he wouldn't be missed. Whittingham needs to go, as does samuel, nuttall and Caddis. I will give gladwin a pre season to convince me he doesn't need the boot after his impressive performances in training. If Chapman is available I would gamble on him and get him signed up. I believe the gamble is small and the rewards far greater

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Definitely liked the look of Edwards from Posh last night. Out and out winger that we’ve lacked big time this season.

Indeed. They had some real pace on the wings I thought.

2 hours ago, AAK said:

Adelakun (scunthorpe), Forster-Caskey (Charlton), Carey (Plymouth), Marriott and Maddison (Posh) and Aneke (Mk Dons) have been good players we have played against this season, all the players we should looking at signing in the summer. Wigan also have a couple of very good players, but we will be in the same league as them. Interestingly Jack Payne is still second in the assists table, only behind Carey, thought he would have done so much better here, but hasn't been given too much of a chance.

No to Forster Caskey, as I would go and get Jon Nolan from Shrewsbury. 

Carey is nearly 30 years old, so I wouldn't. 

Marroitt would cost millions that's I don't think we have. was linked with Palace for 8 million in January. 

I would be looking at Chapman, Edwards, Nolan from this league. Maybe Nelson at Oxford tho he has been injury prone this season

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I'd do everything possible to get Armstrong back and play him as the main striker with Danny as back up or an option from the bench. I'd also be looking at Holmes and adelukin from scunthorpe.We really need to ship Evans out and get his wage off the books. Their are far better midfielders who would take half his wage in this division and with Travis knocking on the door he wouldn't be missed. Whittingham needs to go, as does samuel, nuttall and Caddis. I will give gladwin a pre season to convince me he doesn't need the boot after his impressive performances in training. If Chapman is available I would gamble on him and get him signed up. I believe the gamble is small and the rewards far greater

Agreed on Armstrong. 

disagree on Samuel and Nuttall. 

on the 2 Scunthorpe players Holmes and Adelukin you mention, I haven't seen enough of them, can you tell me more about this

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Definitely liked the look of Edwards from Posh last night. Out and out winger that we’ve lacked big time this season.

Said that last night and after justb watching the game back, He was really good, with his pace and tricky

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

on the 2 Scunthorpe players Holmes and Adelukin you mention, I haven't seen enough of them, can you tell me more about this

Just from what I've seen. I saw them at ewood and glanford, live on tv against oxford and clips on highlight shows. There young, quick , adelukin looks like he has that bit of something extra, bit of skill, has a trick or to. Every time I saw Holmes he was the best player on the pitch, accurate crossing.  I think they both can grow and improve and command decent fees to improve and build the rest of the squad but more importantly that's exactly what we need a quick winger who can beat a man and whip a proper ball in. Obviously they would need scouting properly as they are by no means the finished article but from what I've seen I can't think of a better realistic target. Abit like the signing of cairney in that respect. Both times we have played them I have spoke to opposing fans and they always bring adelukin up saying he's top draw and a real prospect. The lad on the left for posh looked a player last night. He would be worth looking at but that's all I have seen of him

1 minute ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Just from what I've seen. I saw them at ewood and glanford, live on tv against oxford and clips on highlight shows. There young, quick , adelukin looks like he has that bit of something extra, bit of skill, has a trick or to. Every time I saw Holmes he was the best player on the pitch, accurate crossing.  I think they both can grow and improve and command decent fees to improve and build the rest of the squad but more importantly that's exactly what we need a quick winger who can beat a man and whip a proper ball in. Obviously they would need scouting properly but from what I've seen I can't think of a better realistic target. Both times we have played them I have spoke to opposing fans and they always bring adelukin up saying he's top draw and a real prospect. The lad on the left for posh looked a player last night. He would be worth looking at but that's all I have seen of him

You mean Edwards. Was very impressed by him..

Would be on my transfer wish list

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You mean Edwards. Was very impressed by him..

Would be on my transfer wish list

You've seen a lot of Edwards but not Holmes and Adelukin?

20 hours ago, DE. said:

Mowbray would rather play a half-fit Dack than Payne, which tells you everything you need to know. Not sure why but it's just not worked out for him here at all.

I do think hes been slightly underused. Theres a bit of a myth that he only impacts games from the bench, also I get that hes a number 10 and Dack is a class above, but hes a very technically gifted player, hes shown he can get goals and assists, the Cairney comparison was a fair one, another player who was played here cutting in from the right, not ideal. However I cant understand anyone who would prefer Antonsson or Conway over him, even cutting in from the right, he gives defenders a problem, which in turn helps the likes of Dack get more space, he links up. Antonsson is totally useless, dont get anyone suggesting he should be in the side, Conways legs are well gone, hes a time wasting sub at most, neither provide oppositions with anything to think about going forward.

7 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Disagree totally on Graham. Hes one of our best players, yes hes getting on but he has to be first choice, we just need another striker thats not incompetent like Samuel to challenge him and who we can use when Graham cant do 90 minutes or needs a rest, although he showed his fitness yesterday with that superb play at the end, he hardly slows down anyway because hes never been fast.

He showed everyone what hes about yesterday, got a poachers goal, his hold up was absolutely brilliant, even doing what he could in the first half with a stream of shocking, lazy lumps forward to him, and as mentioned the strength, fitness and perseverance for the third goal and the composure in the pass was that of a top striker.

Agree on Samuel and Caddis, would loan out Nuttall, feel Chapmans too big of a risk, definitely get rid of Gladwin, Whitingham I think has a part to play. Ive seen Adelakun a couple of times, I think his contracts up and I like him, albeit he is raw. We need a couple of wingers, Armstrong would be a good option to get back too.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I do think hes been slightly underused. Theres a bit of a myth that he only impacts games from the bench, also I get that hes a number 10 and Dack is a class above, but hes a very technically gifted player, hes shown he can get goals and assists, the Cairney comparison was a fair one, another player who was played here cutting in from the right, not ideal. However I cant understand anyone who would prefer Antonsson or Conway over him, even cutting in from the right, he gives defenders a problem, which in turn helps the likes of Dack get more space, he links up. Antonsson is totally useless, dont get anyone suggesting he should be in the side, Conways legs are well gone, hes a time wasting sub at most, neither provide oppositions with anything to think about going forward.

Disagree totally on Graham. Hes one of our best players, yes hes getting on but he has to be first choice, we just need another striker thats not incompetent like Samuel to challenge him and who we can use when Graham cant do 90 minutes or needs a rest, although he showed his fitness yesterday with that superb play at the end, he hardly slows down anyway because hes never been fast.

He showed everyone what hes about yesterday, got a poachers goal, his hold up was absolutely brilliant, even doing what he could in the first half with a stream of shocking, lazy lumps forward to him, and as mentioned the strength, fitness and perseverance for the third goal and the composure in the pass was that of a top striker.

Agree on Samuel and Caddis, would loan out Nuttall, feel Chapmans too big of a risk, definitely get rid of Gladwin, Whitingham I think has a part to play. Ive seen Adelakun a couple of times, I think his contracts up and I like him, albeit he is raw. We need a couple of wingers, Armstrong would be a good option to get back too.

Just thinking more about as a counter attacking option as I believe we will be in the back foot in quite alot of games next season

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Agree with everything apart from Whittingham. His legs have gone. Warnock realised that he would not be able to hack Championship football this season so got rid by offering terms which Rovers could beat. Caddis' previous injuries have caught with him as well.

Gladwin not seen much of but on the cameos this season is just a waste of a wage. The players on loan at Rovers, I'd try and keep on loan next season with the exception of Payne and Antonsson.

Adelakun looked a good player the only time I've seen him but so did the forward for Bristol Rovers when they played at Ewood.

To be fair we have the basis of a good squad what is required are two midfielders with good engines who can pass the ball. Sad to say these types costs real money so may cause Rovers some problem.

Archived