SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn't give him another year. he's not been good enough in this league. No chance of him doing anything a year older and at a higher level. No sentiment in pro football. 

Correct, legs have gone and hes toothless going forward these days.

Been an excellent player overall though so he can go out on a high.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We could still Sign Morris and still sign Pace out wide. 

Expect Conway to get another contract in summer for 12 months

The only way Conway gets an extension is out of sentiment. Time has caught up with him and his pace has deserted him. 

I think down even he knows it.

We can't afford to carry players anymore.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We could still Sign Morris and still sign Pace out wide. 

Expect Conway to get another contract in summer for 12 months

Conway has been a great servant to the club but I don't think he should be getting another deal.He hasn't played that much this season and with finances likely to be tight again I'd rather his wage went toward someone who will contribute more on the field next season 

• Moderation Lead
54 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Pics or it didn’t happen

Haha. I’m afraid you’ll just have to wonder mate. Take it from me though, you definitely ‘would’. 

Not me though, I’m going on a second date this week. Stay tuned for updates...

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

Conway has been a great servant to the club but I don't think he should be getting another deal.He hasn't played that much this season and with finances likely to be tight again I'd rather his wage went toward someone who will contribute more on the field next season 

Finances tight? We dont even know what the budget is tbf. 

I would him a new 12 months deal. Coming off the bench would be role using his experience and knowledge. Having a winger with that would help us alot next season..

Plus a role with young players, passing on his experiences and knowledge to young players

• Moderation Lead

As much as I respect the bloke, Conway has looked poor for the most part this season so I can’t see any sense in signing him up for any more.

Defintely needs to be released.

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Finances tight? We dont even know what the budget is tbf. 

I would him a new 12 months deal. Coming off the bench would be role using his experience and knowledge. Having a winger with that would help us alot next season..

Plus a role with young players, passing on his experiences and knowledge to young players

It's over for Conway at a higher level. Nothing is forever in life. Even Bryan and Ronnie had to been shown the door at some point. We're trying to run a successful football club not a home for retired football players.

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's over for Conway at a higher level. Nothing is forever in life. Even Bryan and Ronnie had to been shown the door at some point. We're trying to run a successful football club not a home for retired football players.

True, unfortunately. I can imagine him going to Sunderland 

Mowbray has mentioned on a couple of occasions that Conway is a big influence in the dressing room. Be interesting to see if he does get a new contract. It'll be on lower wages than his current one you'd imagine. I suppose a lot depends on how much he wants to play because he woyld only be a squad player here.

• Backroom

I’d have Conway as a squad player only if he took £5k a week or less, wages could be used more effectively elsewhere and whilst he can still put a good cross in now and then he’s too often a hindrance and slows us down.

I’d only ever be using him when seeing games out really.

I don't know how much Conway's on, but I would be more than happy to have him as part of the squad if he's on an appropriate wage.

He's had spells of looking very ineffective this term, but done some good stuff coming off the bench too. He wont be coming up against teams who are doubling up on him and playing 10 behind the ball as much next season, and even in his prime he had hot and cold streaks of form. 

Another 12 months on a squad players wage seems okay to me if he'd accept. 

15 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I wouldn't offer Conway a new deal at all under any circumstances. He doesn't offer anything anymore and that money can be better spent elsewhere. There is no room for sentiment.

I suspect he won't get one, or if he does on much-reduced terms, but Mowbray does seem to respect what he brings to the 'group'. Bennett's comments in the LT are interesting in that regard. He effectively says the players manage themselves, which might explain why Mowbray values Conway so highly:-

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16176413.Rovers__character_has_driven_promotion_bid__says_Elliott_Bennett/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

21 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I wouldn't offer Conway a new deal at all under any circumstances. He doesn't offer anything anymore and that money can be better spent elsewhere. There is no room for sentiment.

I totally agree.

Get him and several other 'squad' members that never feature off the wage bill. 

On 23/04/2018 at 17:54, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

This is so true. Remember Kenny forcing Speedie out because that's what Southampton demanded for Shearer to go?

I felt that was a poor do at the time after all Speedie had done to get us promoted but that's how you win things.

Archived