BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I think Sheff. Utd'd interest had cooled before he was injured. I think they thought they could get a cheap centre half of decent potential expecting a fire sale at Rovers especially with the alleged offers they made.

Exactly 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stuart said:

So they didn’t make another bid for him after he got injured? Ok then.

Theres no arguing with folk who rewrite history.

We rejected numerous bids and Mowbray said we didn't have to sell anyone. We didn't sell any of our key players. They are facts. 

You are saying "oh well we would have sold him if he didn't get injured." That is not a fact 

So ya, no arguing with people who make up hypothetical histories 

Just now, Stuart said:

So they didn’t make another bid for him after he got injured? Ok then.

Theres no arguing with folk who rewrite history.

Did they make a bid at any stage which was not insulting? Not rewriting history at all. They were looking for a cheap centre half hence why they bought the one from Scotland that we were looking at on deadline day that has hardly played if at all.

First he wasn’t injured and we were turning down loads of bids because we were determined to keep hold of him. Now we are talking about the level of insult of the bids meaning we wouldn’t sell our clearly fit player. This despite all talk at the time was of him failing a medical at the Blades.

If you two are going to tag team on this one, at least give me half a chance by having the same story.

On 09/04/2018 at 12:26, RoversClitheroe said:

I think Chapman will sign for us. Rovers liking everything he posts and he's posted an Instagram of the signing a contract emoji.

Hardly takes much for Pinky and Perky to like something.

On 9 April 2018 at 13:26, RoversClitheroe said:

I think Chapman will sign for us. Rovers liking everything he posts and he's posted an Instagram of the signing a contract emoji.

If that's the case  'Boro seeming to be prepared to let him go doesn't augur well.  I wouldn't be signing anybody with his history of injury until I'd seen him play regularly again. Take away his pace and what have you got ?

Normally I'd be inclined to agree, but in this case I think the risk/reward might still be worth offering him a contract, assuming its not 4 years on daft money.

He's clearly got an abundance of talent and potential that if (granted, a pretty big if) realised could command a massive fee down the line, or make all the difference when deciding which division we're in. 

England youth internationals don't always fall into your lap. It might not work out, but I'd be happy to see us gamble on this. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Isn't he out of contract at Middlesbrough this summer anyway? So even if they did want to keep him beyond then, which is questionable, he could easily turn them down and go elsewhere.

He isn't out of contract this summer he has another year to run

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He isn't out of contract this summer he has another year to run

In which case Middlesbrough have the 'burden' of paying him whilst he recovers from injury. If 12 months from now he hasn't got himself fit then avoid, if he has got himself fit then he has a decision to make - stick with Middlesbrough where he is unlikely to feature or move on elsewhere. I certainly wouldn't be paying a fee to get him out of Boro. Offer them a loan deal when he recovers.

12 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Tony_Mowbray_reveals_he_had_January_interest_in_former_Bristol_Rovers_man/?ref=mr&lp=5 

Looks like Nixons info on this one was correct in January.Shame we didn't sign him doing quite well for Preston 

Agreed

On 12/04/2018 at 11:55, JHRover said:

In which case Middlesbrough have the 'burden' of paying him whilst he recovers from injury. If 12 months from now he hasn't got himself fit then avoid, if he has got himself fit then he has a decision to make - stick with Middlesbrough where he is unlikely to feature or move on elsewhere. I certainly wouldn't be paying a fee to get him out of Boro. Offer them a loan deal when he recovers.

It’s a calculated risk. We know how good he “can” be and so do they but the injury could change that obviously.

If we could get him for a nominal fee with add ons dependent on how he plays and a sell on fee, I could see a few bean counters at Boro thinking they might be guaranteeing a return for someone they might be losing for nothing in 12 months.

Worth the risk to me. Young, English and exciting on his day, plenty of room to improve. Seems to like the club, fans and the setup too.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

It’s a calculated risk. We know how good he “can” be and so do they but the injury could change that obviously.

If we could get him for a nominal fee with add ons dependent on how he plays and a sell on fee, I could see a few bean counters at Boro thinking they might be guaranteeing a return for someone they might be losing for nothing in 12 months.

Worth the risk to me. Young, English and exciting on his day, plenty of room to improve. Seems to like the club, fans and the setup too.

So? Wouldn't make any difference to me if he was Papua New Guinean. Or Irish/Scottish/Welsh to be more realistic.

1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

So? Wouldn't make any difference to me if he was Papua New Guinean. Or Irish/Scottish/Welsh to be more realistic.

Home grown player rules when we are back in the prem in two years .... :)

Seriously though, I meant as his price will reflect that and inflate if he performs, seemed obvious to me.

Archived