BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walsall at home 30.1.18

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, JAL said:

Big learning curve for Ryan Nyambe though question is can he improve is he capable of improving see Sharp of the local rag going into protective mode again for Ryan.

I'll be honest I've enjoyed watching Nyambe this season, his main problem is his confidence there's times when he seems on edge but he's coming on leaps and bounds at the moment. Particularly pleasing forward roll from him in the first half!

Got to say that's the most mobile I've seen a rovers team looking, from both fullbacks who were willing to get down the line, two holding midfielders that cover every inch of grass around the middle time and time again then three attack minded midfielders who all can create and move. Lovely to see at times.

Apart from Mulgrew and potentially Lenihan that's about our strongest team, going forward that would terrify any defence in this league and I genuinely think if we can steady up at the back a little we would be a comfortably mid table championship outfit.

I really hope we don't bring Conway or Evans back into the team any time soon, Conway is a real momentum killer and Evans just isn't mobile enough compared to Bennett.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11229878/blackburn-3-1-walsall

Wonderful third goal. Sublime touch by Graham and neat finish by Dack. Blatant push on Nyambe. One of many great saves by their keeper for the Downing header.

LOL at the fat bloke in the white t-shirt who nearly threw his pie at DG as he celebrated the 1st goal, then thought better of it and carried on eating it.:lol:

Relieved to get the three points comfortably after Saturday's disappointing result. Walsall turned out to be the poorest side I've seen us play against so far this season.

Notables...

Graham was outstanding; not just for his brace, but for his holdup play, too.

Payne worked really hard, and Armstrong caused them all sorts of problems, but without reward.

Bell looks like a good 'un. He gets forward with a bit of quality. I only saw Bell play one match for Fleetwood, and he was awfully, but he's had two good games for us so far. One to watch!

Williams had a poor game - not so much defensively, but when he had the ball to distribute, he often did the "Williams 90 degree turn in sequences" and checked back to the keeper, instead of looking for a forward pass - something that we maybe take for granted with Mulgrew. Then, when he did make a long pass, I don't recall it ever making it to a Rovers player.

I thought Conway was also quite poor when he came on. Conway hasn't had a great season, and this league should see him shine at his best. I wonder if Conway is a goner in summer.

No problem with the way Northampton played saturday, it’s down to the referee to do his job and cut out the time wasting etc, which he didn’t.

Tonight Walsall probably did set out with that sort of game plan, but it’s no good once you go behind. Had we got the first goal Saturday I’m sure the outcome would have beem similar to this evenings.

Onwards to Plymouth and lets make it 19 unbeaten.

Haven't said much recently for health related reasons but I simply must echo the sentiments of the Community Trust on twitter. A massive WELL DONE to the pupils from various schools who successfully managed to hold a flag as the players came out. I can't imagine what strength it took to exert such a feat. I'm surprised health & safety allowed it (poles are dangerous!) but I'm notified that they all had extensive training beforehand from Royal Marines.

Hope they all got gold stars! No sweets though hopefully or Jamie Oliver will go on a rampage.

We dominated Walsall last night from start to finish. The difference between last night and Saturday was DG. Last night everything stuck to him, centre backs couldn't handle him hence why the Walsall manager took the CB off at half time.  When we are facing big units at the back like Northampton, I think we need to play Armstrong upfront and play the ball in behind rather  than to feat. If DG is struggling to hold the ball up, it just comes straight back at us and we struggle to break teams down. Noticed last night as well the three of Dack, Armstrong and Payne were very fluid and were changing positions between them all night, TM definitely has given them licence to roam. Penalty to Walsall was a foul all day long on Nayambe. Sat in the BE and you could see Nayambe had got there first and then got pushed in the back which put him off balance. 

Personally I agree that Graham had a great game, certainly helped by the fact that Walsall’s young CB in the first half made Elliott Ward look like Sergio Ramos.

he didn’t challenge Graham in the air and was 5 yards off him at all times.

delighted with the three points, the three new signings can give another dimension to our play in the final third of the season

Many encouraging signs:

- a lesser brethren put to the sword despite a worldie from their keeper by all accounts

- seems all three new boys can hurt the opposition and bedded in well

- Graham back doing what he does best, great to have a finisher who scores a goodly proportion of his chances

- at this stage of the season, 2nd is brilliant and time to consolidate that automatic promotion place rather than worry about others' games in hand

Would have been nice to have kept a clean sheet but only Wigan have a decisively better goals conceded column. 

Graham looks very clinical 

Our defending for their goal was bad. Nyambe fell over way too easy. He did look off balance and got his feet tangled up. The size of him,he shouldn't fall over from a little shove. Downing just as bad ,play the whistle man. Their player little strolled around him. 

Dacks goal was a beauty. One of the nicest we have scored this season. When he meets a ball to feet he can glide past opposition players in a way I haven't seen someone in a rovers shirt do in a very long time. Magician. 

9 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Northampton are "spoilers" because they set their stall out for a draw in the midst of a relegation battle and took points off us ?  I wish we had been "spoilers" last season. 

Bloody hell Jim---cocoa go down the wrong way?! Why would you think I'd disagree with a word of that? I'm just looking at things from OUR point of view and the challenge ahead. If i supported Northampton I'd be delighted with an away point to the second club no matter how we got it.

1 hour ago, McClarky said:

Saw about half the game and it looked like an assured and confident display. Shame about the goal though, we always concede don’t we. Wigan have let in half what we have.

We are the leading scorers in League 1 now which hasn’t happened for some time!

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

very good performance tonight. 

very pleasing to get an early goal from Graham and then it restrict the opposite from playing so defensive like Northampton. 

Graham 2 goals was good but Dack shown his class with his goal. Armstrong deserve a goal tonight cos he kept trying and another night he would have got a hat trick 

Rovers played 4-2-3-1 formation with Payne playing from right and Armstrong from left with Dack in 10 role. it worked excellent tonight but I think Conway will start on Saturday in place of Payne. 

I thought their goal was a foul by their player on Nyambe. it was clear to see from my seat but it was just a small setback. 

enjoyable night

I though you said Armstrong wasn't going to be playing on the left  and he'd have  to play as an out and out striker ? Remember who told you first he'd be playing in the same role as Antonnson ?

19 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

If someone shoves you in the back when you're running it doesn't take much to throw you off balance. Very harsh to say he went down too easily.

Didn't look much of a shove to me in the highlights you posted. The Walsall player seemed to get around behind him,which mixed Nyambes feet up. If he was aware of where the walsall player was his body position would have been better. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Didn't look much of a shove to me in the highlights you posted. The Walsall player seemed to get around behind him,which mixed Nyambes feet up. If he was aware of where the walsall player was his body position would have been better. 

Yeah it looks like he just got caught out, which unfortunately he is prone to do on occasions. Was just a hopeful punt really and he misjudged the flight of the ball and was in two-minds about what to do. Dont think there was much contact there to be honest and even if there was, it wasnt much.

Good game last night, some lovely combinations at the top of end of the pitch. on another night we would have had 7. I was really impressed by Bell who was always happy to receive the ball and is a great attacking outlet, he didnt have much to do defensively but what he did he dealt with confidently. Williams must be watching him knowing that a place on the bench awaits.

• Moderation Lead

We did a lot of things well last night, so fair play. As good as Bell looked going forward, I felt that on a couple of occasions he looked slightly suspect defensively. Nyambe continues to improve and Bennett in the middle continues to look a revelation. His tackling therefore helps lighten Smallwood's load and in doing so, reduces the risk of Smallwood getting a booking and a 2 game suspension.

I've said this season that when Dack's not at it, the rest of the team aren't either. Not necessarily a criticism of him, more that other teams know how key he is to our play. He took his goal well tonight, as did Graham on both occasions. His first goal was superbly taken. Their goalkeeper pulled off some incredible saves and Armstrong's first goal for the club is definitely coming!

Archived