BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

I can see where the aggrieved clubs are coming from. Given the atmospheres and entertainment value and even quality of football the product on offer in the Championship isn't far behind, in some cases is even ahead, of many fixtures and clubs in the Premier League, yet those clubs receive vastly greater incomes for ultimately putting on a poorer show.

Recent televised games such as Cardiff v Burnley, Fulham v Huddersfield and Cardiff v Brighton were no better than anything you would see in the Championship, yet those clubs receive mega-cash just for being in the Premier League rather than the Championship.

The problem I have with it is by bumping the Championship up closer to the Premier League, whilst improving the balance sheets for Championship clubs, is only going to see the gap between the haves and have nots grow, and the gap down to League One and League Two will become massive, which I don't think would be good.

The Premier League won't want to know as they won't want to agree to anything that will see their pot diminish or anything that will take away any of the artificial 'mystique' of the Premier League by bringing another division closer to it in stature. It would dilute the prestige of the Premier League.

I'm interested to see how this one works out, hope there's plenty of fireworks and the EFL and Sky are made to squeal.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s like when Newcastle take 3,000 to an away game 

‘what fantastic , passionate support, they deserve success’

Why are any of those fans more passionate than say  the few hundred Carlisle or Exeter fans traipsing massive distances to watch their clubs? They’ve spent decades watching fourth tier plodders too!

Newcastle the prime example that attendances do not equal success 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mick McCarthy about to be announced as Ireland manager. I'm a bit surprised to be honest. I think you should never go back to old managers, but he did  well before and will undoubtedly get more out of the players than O'Neill was. A nice little break from the day to day grind of club management too. 

Wont the Ireland FA take their time?

Robbie Keane as a coach? 

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wont the Ireland FA take their time?

Robbie Keane as a coach? 

I don't think there is a huge list of candidates. The president of the FAI is a gobshite. It's like a dictatorship. 

So I read. I don't think Roy Keane worked out great in a similar role. Mccarthy usually brings Terry Connors as his number 2,so hopefully that continues. If Robbie kept out of the limelight and focused on coaching someone, anyone how to score goals, that would be fine. 

Personally I would have liked Allardyce, Neil Lennon or Stephen Kenny. The FAI have an appaling attitude towards the league of ireland, so Kenny was never going to get it

Anyways, whoever is confirmed, we literally cannot get any worse. 4 goals in 2018. Pathetic 

• Like 1

I can see why Keane got out of there if McCarthy is returning. Roy will be back to ITV looking like he's about to stab anyone in the studio.

I did look at the odds, and Kenny was odds on initially, but the other names on the list were not inspiring. Big Sam was the best on offer.

Edited by Norbert Rassragr

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

I can see why Keane got out of there if McCarthy is returning. Roy will be back to ITV looking like he's about to stab anyone in the studio.

Ah Keane is a double act with O'Neill. Intersting to see if they stick together in their next roles. 

Keane is a pantomime villain at this stage. Great player, but I wouldn't be a huge fan of his general carry on. 

You'd get a death stare if Roy heard you say that. There does not seem to be any up and coming, inspirational manager linked to the Republic team. Kenny seems to have worked wonders for his Irish team (according to Wikipedia) but might he need a bit of time managing at a higher level first? All the other names are just more of the same as O'Neill. 

Seems like they can go one of 2 ways, go for a younger more revolutionary manager with onus on a long term project or a McCarthy/Big Sam who can have the team well drilled and efficient from set pieces.

You look at Wales for example, they seem to be going through a bit of a transition, not that im convinced by Giggs as a manager, but not only do they have 2 superstars to get them goals when things arent going well, but they also have an obvious few young talents (Ampadu, Wilson, Brooks etc) who they can build an exciting future around. Scotland are under a footballing dinasour but even they have some exciting talent (Forrest, McGregor, Fraser, Christie) that can give them some sort of attacking threat that have been unleashed somewhat recently.

I look at the Irish side and going forward I see no bright sparks, no good attackers, nothing exciting coming through. Maybe its ignorance but I dont see them. The best 2 players are Coleman and Duffy, 2 good Premier League defenders. Beside that, very, very little. So I think Big Sam would be the best bet if they could afford him.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think there is a huge list of candidates. The president of the FAI is a gobshite. It's like a dictatorship. 

So I read. I don't think Roy Keane worked out great in a similar role. Mccarthy usually brings Terry Connors as his number 2,so hopefully that continues. If Robbie kept out of the limelight and focused on coaching someone, anyone how to score goals, that would be fine. 

Personally I would have liked Allardyce, Neil Lennon or Stephen Kenny. The FAI have an appaling attitude towards the league of ireland, so Kenny was never going to get it

Anyways, whoever is confirmed, we literally cannot get any worse. 4 goals in 2018. Pathetic 

I read that Ireland FA want Kenny to be under 21's boss but he want the top job

20 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Love the law firms name - Slaughter & May ?.

For some reason Ridsdale is held in high esteem by his cohorts despite having blood on his hands from previous jobs in football.

21 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Someone has to make the tea.

Preston FFS!

Even funnier, they all started greed in football, the game is ruined when they first heard of the EFL breakaway thing but then changed their tune when they discovered they were on the list - and they call us plastic!

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/forum/football-forums/pne-discussions/3402435-championship-clubs-threaten-efl-breakaway